IMDb > "All My Children" (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"All My Children"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"All My Children" More at IMDbPro »

The Soap that has EVERYTHING!

Author: mark.waltz from New York City
31 July 2002

As a 20 plus year viewer of "All My Children", I remain faithful to the lives of the Tylers, Kanes, Martins, Cortlandts, Chandlers, and many other families who have made their way through the medium sized city of Pine Valley, Pennsylvania; Located near the "One Life to Live" town of Llanview, "All My Children" is nevertheless quite different. It was Agnes Nixon's bible for this show which inspired her creation of Rachel (Robin Strasser) on "Another World", basing her on the unseen character of Erica Kane. Three years after Rachel's debut on "AW", "AMC" finally made it to the airwaves; Looking at early pictures of both Strasser and Susan Lucci, one can see why the rumor that they are sisters has flown for years. While untrue (with Phyllis Diller as their mother!), it has created a legend only daytime could produce. In the late 1970's, Lucci and Strasser finally worked together when Strasser played Dr. Christina Karras (who ended up marrying Erica's first husband) prior to joining "One Life to Live" as Dorian. While Lucci is Pine Valley's first lady, she has shared the spotlight with many others, most notably Ruth Warrick as Pine Valley's Grande Dame Phoebe Tyler. While now a wheel-chair bound shell of her former self, during her heyday, Phoebe was a force to be reckoned with, and in the 70's, while in a wheelchair while faking paralysis, "Citizen Kane" vet Warrick called herself a "Bitch on Wheels". Sadly, Phoebe slipped to back burner after her on-screen husband Louis Edmunds (Langley) was shuffled out of the story (although he is still mentioned as being out of town), but the memory of her confrontations with Erica's beloved mother Mona (the late Fran Heflin) still remain, as do her constant belittlement of the "less-than-worthy of her time" members of Pine Valley's other side of the tracks who would end up somehow involved with her younger relatives. "All My Children" was the first soap to feature a major black supercouple (Frank and Nancy Grant, followed by their nephew Jesse and his love, Angie), the first to add comedy (Opal Gardner among others) to their front-burner storylines, and the first to truly explore such issues as homosexuality (both male and female), AIDS, and incest. "All My Children" has featured many over-the-top villians (most notably Ray Gardner, Billy Clyde Tuggle, Janet Green, and currently Vanessa Cortlandt), actors in dual roles (David Canary, Ellen Wheeler, Michael E. Knight), and actors coming back after their original characters were killed off (Francesca James), or even after they were truly dead (Mike Roy). Where the return of Eve LaRue Callahan (Maria/Maureen) fits into this mold is yet to be seen.

"All My Children" has especially been successful in its telling of gothic style storylines, straight out of Edgar Allan Poe, the Bronte Sisters, and Daphne DuMaurier. Palmer Cortlandt (Broadway veteran James Mitchell), his Mrs. Danvers like housekeeper Myra Murdock (the wonderful Elizabeth Lawrence), and his fragile daughter Nina (beautiful Taylor Miller) were created to bring "AMC" into the 80's; Later, the equally mysterious Chandler family was created, with David Canary giving one of daytime's legendary performances as the totally different twins Adam and Stuart Chandler; Where Adam is Pine Valley's controlling power broker, Stuart is the heart and soul of the town, taking over where the late Mona Kane and the missing in action Ruth Martin left off. The Dimitri Marrick storyline of the early 1990's was a retread of the Palmer/Daisy Cortlandt storyline, complete with Helga, another Mrs. Danvers style housekeeper who had the gaul to lock Erica in the crypt of her rotting father-in-law. Other storylines, such as former rebellious teenager Hayley Vaughn's transition into the show's major young heroine, freshly copied older storylines. Kelly Ripa took over the storyline Julia Barr (Brooke English) had done 15 years before.

"AMC" also does not forget long-forgotten characters; We catch occassional glimpses of deceased loved ones such as Natalie Hunter, Jesse Hubbard, Travis Montgomery, Cindy Chandler, and Jenny Gardner Nelson popping up to guide their survivors. Liza Colby, a favorite bad girl of the early 80's, came back over a decade later, with Marcy Walker now playing her as a much reformed Liza. Following soon after was her previously infrequent seen mother Marian (the delightfully humorous Jennifer Bassey) who had long been decorating social events, but hadn't had a storyline since she was discovered to be the murderer of a short-lived Pine Valley villian. Recent returns of Timothy Dillon (actually, Natalie's son by Alex Hunter, adopted by Trevor Dillon) and Angie and Jessie's son Frankie (seen years ago on "Loving") are signs that "AMC" is keeping this tradition going.

Currently, with the long "Proteus" storyline taking a breather with some new directions underway, "AMC" is creating new stories for some underused characters (Brooke/Edmund), and introducing some fabulus new roles played by favorites from other soaps. Anna Stuart, introduced as the snooty mother of socialite Greenlee Smythe (the spunky Rebecca Budig), is being built-up as a new love interest for long-time unattached Jackson Montgomery (fan favorite Walt Willey); I can't wait to see Erica's reaction to his new love interest. Marj Dusay, as the always entertaining Vanessa Cortlandt, has been stealing the scenery all year as the drug lord Proteus; Her "Medea" like relationship with her sons Leo and David is fascinatingly sick, but like good theater, you just can't turn your head.

"AMC" has a very rich history, filled with too many wonderful performances over its 32+ year run; However, who can forget Sandy Gabriel's wealthy and trashy Edna; Candice Earley's tragic performance as reformed hooker Donna Sago Tyler; Kathleen Noone as the wealthy but down-to-earth Ellen Sago; Gillian Spencer as Daisy, the long-lost first Mrs. Palmer Cortlandt; Natalie Ross's ultra-snobby performance as Greg Nelson's disaproving mother Enid; Meg Myles as Adam's obsessive secretary Joanna who was secretly married to Stuart; Jane Elliott as the first gold-digger to swipe Palmer Cortlandt; Genie Francis as the bitchy but tragic incest victim Ceara Connor; Ellen Wheeler as AIDS patient Cindy Chandler, the first woman to show Stuart Chandler how it felt to be truly loved; Susan Pratt as the powerful but otherwise confused Barbara Montgomery Cudahy; Robin Christopher as Skye Chandler (long before she discovered she was really a Quartermain of "General Hospital"); and Cadi McLain as dumb country bumpkin turned smart Dixie Cooney, the girl who showed Tad the cad what love really meant. Of the older characters who remain, one of the continuously strongest presences is felt by Eileen Herlie's wise and wonderful Myrtle Lum Fairgate; If only her daughter Rae Cummings (Linda Dano) or granddaughter Skye Quartermain would visit her from their soaps, she would have more to do than play support to Erica, the wonderful Bianca, or Opal.

Unfortunately, most of the male characters pale in comparisson to the above (and many more) female characters; Long-running male characters on the show often become overshadowed by the women in their life; Just take a look at Paul Martin, Linc Tyler, Charles Tyler, Chuck Tyler, Cliff Warner, Benny Sago, Mark Dalton, Tom Cudahy, Jackson Montgomery, Edmund Grey, Dimitri Garrick, well you get the picture. Unforgettable men on the show are either dispicable villians like Ray Gardner, Eddie Dorrance, or Billy Clyde Tuggle, or powerful businessmen like Palmer and Adam. Tad the cad Martin is perhaps the only young character to remain a strong presence; Jesse Hubbard would have gone that direction as well, but died too young. David Hayward is perhaps one of the only more recent characters to actually have a stronger backbone than other characters, but "AMC" men tend to mellow too much to make their days in Pine Valley stretch into years. Of course, he's been around for about five years now, which is long considering.....

To sum what I've written up, "All My Children" is a story of fascinating characters intertwined with the half-dozen or so who have remained for 20 years or more. The on-going flow of people who affect their lives are always interesting, and with a talented producing and writing team, there are many more to come.

Great Soap

Author: notstorebought23 from Winchester, USA
6 July 2004

Even though this show is not as wonderful and perfect as it use to be it is still a great show. The actors and actresses have great talent and show it really well. I'd refer this show to anyone who wants to watch some good drama. It has the forever famous Erica Kane and her countless marriages which are sure to entertain. The ups and downs of the relationships of the citizens of Pine Valley. The Characters draw you in and the situations keep your eyes on that screen. This show has won many emmys and there are reasons for it. I really enjoy this soap and I hope that others viewers can learn to enjoy it as well. Like I said before if you want to see some great stories and great talents you should definitely tune into this soap!

All My Children of the past

Author: kjcco from New York City, United States
20 August 2005

I have watched AMC almost since it began (I was 10), yet just in the last couple of years I have become quite disillusioned. It was once an inter-generational show with people that were all ages and looks enjoying story lines. Now it is just one dimensional characters - mostly skinny women and buff men - and they're not even interesting. I was watching old tapes of years ago when Phoebe, Mona, Myra, Palmer, Myrtle...etc., all had story lines. They would weave together the story lines of the younger people (who were at least then interesting) - people like Nina, Cliff, Jenny, Greg, Angie, Devon...etc. It has become an empty show with characters that are uninteresting and uncomplicated and what must the producers think when the ratings continue to plummet. I liked AMC when it was AMC. I would, however, start watching it again if they would bring back Nina Cortland!

This is One of the Greatest Soaps!

Author: brniis77 from Lockport
23 August 1999

I have been a fan of All My Children for about 5 years now. I think that this soap is really one of the classics. It has great characters and really great story-lines. I have recently enjoyed the story-line involving Haley, Mateo, and Raquel. I was a little disappointed when they fired Dimitre and most recently Raquel, but I think that whatever happens, the show will stay remain one of the tops in it's field. Please watch this soap daily! You won't be disappointed!

Once a great soap opera...

Author: luvnsweet from California
30 December 2002

All My Children is the first soap opera that I watched so I will always have a soft spot for it in my heart. That is why it pains me to see what the show has now become. In the past, we had character driven storylines and where villains paid for what they did. Now we have plot-driven storylines leaving viewers wondering what happened to their favorite characters and characters that deserve to be punished for their misdeeds are still roaming around town acting self-righteous. And I cannot get over how Tad and Dixie fans have been screwed over and over again because after 13 years, they still do not have a child. They are the only supercouple in daytime that I can think of that does not have a child together. How incredibly unfair is that David and Anna (a couple that has been together for barely a year) get to have a child while Tad and Dixie have been trying forever yet prove unsuccessful. When talking about AMC, I guess the name that will be most associated with it is Susan Lucci. She is an original cast member and have been in front burner storylines. Anyone who is an AMC watcher knows Erica's long line of men whom she has married and/or dated. I will always prefer Erica with Jackson, who I think is the love of her life. It's funny that a lot of fans think that Erica and Jack have been married. They haven't. They've been engaged though. So everytime the powers that be throw a new love interest into Erica's storyline, they are ignoring what could be a great storyline for Erica and Jack. I still have hopes that they will rekindle their love though! The Martins have been a prominent family of Pine Valley since the show started so it's sad that they are barely on now. Ruth and Joe only come out during the holidays. Tad has been acting like a moron ever since Dixie died. Why he defends Liza for every misdeed she does yet criticize Adam for everything he does I never know. That just really irks me. The way Tad was acting all self-rigteous towards Brooke for sleeping with Adam. Hey Tad you shouldn't be the one talking; you slept with Liza remember? And why everyone in the town blames Adam for every single thing is just plain wrong. Liza is the one who embezzled money from Chandler Enterprises yet it's Adam's fault? I don't understand the logic. I think I should just stop ranting about what has become of AMC and reminsence about the good times. The first storyline that Tad and Dixie had together will always be my favorite storyline. The way that Tad Martin, formerly known as Tad the cad, helped Dixie when she was being manipulated by Adam. Their courtship was so sweet. Michael E. Knight and Cady McClain have one of the most natural and electrifying chemistry in daytime. They play off each other well and their scenes can be humorous or a total tear-jerker. Who was not laughing their butt off at the Tad love test yet who was able to have a dry eye after watching the scene where Dixie is being hauled off to the looney bin? They also had good friends, Nico and Cecily, to help them with their wacky adventures. *sigh* The good old days.

The Only Soap I've Ever Watched

Author: Cammy-3 from Maryland, USA
7 January 2002

The summer I was 17, before I went away to college, I tuned into a black and white episode of AMC(half an hour)and since then I have always tuned in to see what was happening. Through various jobs and the birth of my son and times when I couldn't watch for over a year,AMC was always there. And, let's face it AMC means Erica Kane.

But as I am middle aged,I would like to suggest that the show deal MORE with reality. Erica is on trial right now for yet another murder - after 30 years of watching, I can hardly recall all the people she has been accused of killing -- and the prosecutor is her former lover. Could the writers please get a clue??? Prosecutors are not allowed to even KNOW the people they are trying. Please deal with the rules of 2002.

Also, The Greenly and Leo story is a total BORE. Unless you are 17,,,,, interesting...But I suspect Leo is gay, myself.

Nice twist on Proteus, however, I like it.

ALL MY CHILDREN cross-overs

Author: gjhines from United States
21 May 2006

The earliest ALL MY CHILDREN cross-over began in the early 1970's, with "Dr. Marcus Polk", a therapist who moved between ONE LIFE TO LIVE and ALL MY CHILDREN to treat a variety of patients. The character ended up back on ONE LIVE, and was murdered in 1985.

ALL MY CHILDREN's "Dr. Joe Martin" & GENERAL HOSPITAL's "Dr. Steve Hardy" visited ONE LIFE TO LIVE for a medical consultation with Dr. Jim Craig in 1969.

Attorney "Paul Martin" from ALL MY CHILDREN traveled to ONE LIFE TO LIVE to represent "Victoria Lord" in a murder trial in 1978.

When "Erica Kane" was a model in the 1980's, ONE LIFE TO LIVE's "Delilah Ralston", a designer, visited ALL MY CHILDREN.

In 1986, ALL MY CHILDREN's "Angie Hubbard" & her son "Frankie" moved to Corinth, where the now defunct series LOVING was set. Later ALL MY CHILDREN's "Jeremy Hunter" and wife "Ceara Connor" moved from Pine Valley to Corinth. Many of the characters from both LOVING and ALL MY CHILDREN visited back & forth. Both "Ceara" & "Jeremy" died on LOVING. "Jeremy's" twin brother, "Gilbert", also was on LOVING.

The "Hubbards" moved to LOVING's spin-off, THE CITY, where they met up with ALL MY CHILDREN's "Jesse Hubbard" look-alike, "Jacob Foster Johnson". GENERAL HOSPITAL's "Tracy Quartermaine" also moved to THE CITY at one point, and ALL MY CHILDREN's "Jackson Montgomery" visited his former lover,"Sydney Chase". An adult "Frank Hubbard" returned to ALL MY CHILDREN in 2002 as a doctor.

ONE LIFE TO LIVE's "Dorian Cramer Lord" had a phone call with ALL MY CHILDREN's "Adam Chandler", in 1990.

In 1999, ALL MY CHILDREN's "Skye Chandler" moved to ONE LIFE TO LIVE, and it was revealed that she had been married to "Ben Davidson". She had an affair with "Max Holden". She then moved to GENERAL HOSPITAL, moving in with her supposed biological father, "Dr. Alan Quartermaine". She married "Jax", & has been romantically linked with "Luke Spencer" & had a "very close" relationship with supposed half-brother, "A.J. Quartermaine".

"Skye's" biological mother "Rae Cummings" moved between all three shows as well. "Rae's" biological mother is ALL MY CHILDREN's "Myrtle Fargate". Myrtle also visited ONE LIFE TO LIVE, as well as LOVING, where niece, "Ceara", had moved. "Rae's" biological father was "Marcello Angelini", an acrobat "Myrtle" met during her "carny days". During all her years in Pine Valley, "Skye" never knew that "Myrtle" was her grandmother.

In 1992, "Carter Jones" showed up on ALL MY CHILDREN to terrorize "Natalie Dillon". Sisters "Dinah Lee & Hannah Mayberry" traveled from LOVING to ALL MY CHILDREN as other victims of "Mr. Jones".

ALL MY CHILDREN's "Trevor Dillon" (Jamed Kiberd) visited LOVING and had a scene with real-life wife Susan Keith ("Shana Sloan"). ALL MY Children's "Tad Martin" (Michael E. Knight) visited ONE LIFE TO LIVE and had a scene with real-life wife Catherine Hickland ("Lindsay Rappaport").

In 1999, "Alex Devane" came to ALL MY CHILDREN, revealed to be the twin sister to GENERAL HOSPITAL's presumed dead "Anna Devane". In 2001 "Anna" also arrives. The dual roles continue until "Alex" marries "Dimitri Marick" and moves to Hungary. Flashbacks with "Anna's" husbands "Robert Scorpio" & "Duke Lavery" were seen on ALL MY CHILDREN. It was revealed that "Duke Lavery" was a cousin of the deceased "Gail Lavery Curry", mother of Pine Valley's "Ryan". "Anna" get's a visit from GENERAL HOSPITAL daughter "Robin Scorpio" and brother-in-law, "Max Scorpio". The Devane clan grew to include British nephew "Aidan Devane", the son of the twins' dead sister, Lindsay. Also, half-brother, bi-racial "Gabriel Devane", the son of their father "Thomas" and their childhood nanny "CeeCee". "Anna" married "Dr. David Hayward" and had another daughter, "Leora Devane Hayward", who lived just a short time. "Anna" left ALL MY CHILDREN in 2003 and returned briefly to GENERAL HOSPITAL in 2006. "Robin Scorpio" returned to GENERAL HOSPITAL from Europe in 2005.

The latest, and most elaborate, cross-over was the year long "baby switch" story (2002-03), when ALL MY CHILDREN's "J.R. & Babe Chandler's" son was kidnapped by "Babe's" 1st husband, ONE LIFE TO LIVE's "Paul Cramer". The baby was then adopted by "Paul's" half-sister "Kelly Buchanan". "Little Adam" was then called "Little Ace". This story tied together all the major families from both shows, set in towns about 50 miles apart in Pennsylvania--the Martins, Chandlers, Kanes of Pine Valley and the Buchanans, Lords, Cramers of Llandview. Many characters traveled back & forth, including "Dorian Cramer Lord" again. The cross-over concluded in a week-long custody trial. Major players from both shows were seen in the courtroom on both programs.

----------------------------------------------------------

greatest soap ever

Author: massivefart
21 April 2000

I have watched All My Children for over five years and the late 70's and early 80's. It is one show if i miss i get really upset. It has some the best actors, writers, and etc. It also has something a few soaps have long running characters they don't stick them in the backburner because some of the best characters are the one's that has been around the longest. My favorite has to Myrtle, Phoebe, Brooke, Adam and Stuart, Palmer Dixie and Tad and of course ERICA KANE she is the one reason i am a faithfull watcher and I never care what critics think because to me it is one of the few soaps that i am faithful to I do watch One Life to Live, Guiding Light. But you can't go wrong with a show that has been around for 30 years and has one more Emmy's than any other soap. Who can't forget the wonderful storylines Nina and Cliff, Angie and Jessie, Erica and Tom, Mike Roy, Adam, Travis, Jackson, and Dimitri, Palmer and Daisy and my favorite off all time Greg and my sweet sweet JENNY. For this is why ALL MY CHILDREN is my #1 soap and keep up the good work

Best Soap

Author: at_man from Kitchener Ontario
12 December 1999

I have watched All My Children since the fall of 94 and I must say it is a great show. With characters like Haley Tad Janet Trevor Edmund and of course Erica Kane. Best actress in her field. Though it is not as good as it was when I started watching it it is still a good show. I never thought in my wildest dreams I would ever watch it. I grew up with it I was born in 1973 and my mom had watched it since the beginning. It is a great show. My favourite storyline was when Janet had a bomb at Trevor's wedding to Laurel and then she disappeared and struck by lightning then found the cabin then got kiddnapped by Kinder oh that storyline went on for ever.

A Long Time Viewer...But...

Author: DiamondGirl427 from United States
6 July 2010

I am not sure when I started watching AMC...but I believe it was when an aunt came down to spend a summer with me..she watched several...but it is AMC that I recall most. Of course Erica Kane was the star..always..and the other characters were for the most part great to watch as well. Fast forward several years to present day: Erica is still the DIVA she always has been..although I do wish Jack and her would FINALLY have their wedding..it has been too long already. I miss Palmer and Adam..another era has ended there perhaps. I wish Julie Bar would return as Brooke full time too. But..please someone tell me WHY they thought the actress who is playing Annie was right for the part? She is NOT sexy enough to pull of the sceming gold digger in my opinion. Giving JR a rather plain and sweet wife as they did seems too unbelievable too...he is a rich spoiled man...there is no way it would happen. Whenever they change actors always seems to change the dynamics too...especially when we have gotten used to the actor who originated the part. The addition of the guy who is playing Caleb is unnecessary too..he is attracted to Erica..even though they seem to have a love/hate thing going on at the moment...but come on..he is an angry,rude guy...not at all sexy...unless you like this type. Jack is way SEXIER in every way. The new Bianca is going to take a while to get used to as well...the new girl is cute..but doesn't quite fit yet. She is too goody goody...more so than the original was. The bottom line is that I won't stop watching the show..I just wish the writers would try a little harder to make it a "must watch" show.