IMDb > The Nude Vampire (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Nude Vampire More at IMDbPro »La vampire nue (original title)

Strange and fascinating genre-buster from Jean Rollin.

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia
17 February 2002

From the title and the opening sequence of 'La Vampire Nue' it looks like you're in for a dreamlike erotic nudie vampire flick ala Jess Franco (which is not a bad thing mind you!). Very quickly though it metamorphoses into something more complex, and difficult to categorize. The mysterious and sensual title character played by Caroline Cartier actually has very little to do on screen, but is the key to the mysterious events involving scientists studying immortality, and a surreal suicide cult. A young man discovers his father is somehow involved in a secret society who favour animal masks and (apparent) murder. When he investigates he finds that not everything is as it seems, and that the enigmatic, mute beauty at the centre of it may hold the key to the future of mankind's evolution. A very strange, poetic and unique piece of 60s exploitation, quite unlike any other. I was fascinated by the whole thing. Highly recommended to fans of the offbeat and unusual.

Lots of Flashy Colors!

Author: gavin6942 from United States
12 October 2011

Bizarre vampire/sex fantasy about rich brat Martin, who stumbles upon secret bourgeois-like society, which conducts secret perverse ceremonies in a mansion rented by his father.

Let me say, this is a prime example of style over substance. While I am sure there is substance here (most of which does not make any sense), that is overshadowed by colorful costumes, strange alien vampires and just an array of unpredictable moments -- many connected in some way to nude women.

Best part of the movie? The chicks falling down the stairs. While one twin takes it pretty seriously, the other one is determined to reach the bottom step, even if she has to keep pushing herself. Sure, it does not look natural, but it got me chuckling a little.

THE NUDE VAMPIRE (Jean Rollin, 1970) **

Author: MARIO GAUCI ( from Naxxar, Malta
23 January 2010

The eighth Jean Rollin film I have watched is also possibly the weirdest; the intriguing plot (such as it is) seems initially to be too flimsy to sustain even its trim 84 minutes but it somehow contrives to get inordinately muddled as it goes along! A would-be female vampire (scantily-clad, as promised by the title) is held in captivity inside a remote château and emerges only to 'feast' on the blood of willing victims (who are apparently members of a suicide club) As if unsure where all of this would lead him, the writer-director ultimately has the human villain – actually the blank-faced hero's kinky father – ludicrously revealed as a mutant(?!) from the future! The languorous pace and dream-like atmosphere (the cultists wear hoods and animal masks to hide their features from the sheltered girl) are, of course, typical of both the film-maker (ditto the seashore setting at the {anti}climax) and the "Euro-Cult" style, as are the bevy of nubile beauties on display. Personally, the most enjoyable thing about the whole visually attractive but intellectually vacuous affair was watching familiar character actor Bernard Musson (who appeared in six latter-day Luis Bunuel films) crop up bemusedly through it from time to time!

The Nude Vampire

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
13 March 2008

Nude Vampire, The (1970)

** (out of 4)

Strange film from French director Rollin has a young man coming across a nude woman who he witnesses shot dead minutes later. The man decides to investigate, which leads him to a strange scientist doing experiments with blood and a suicide cult. I've seen quite a few Rollin films over the years and this one here just doesn't work. The film doesn't have many brains but it throws in this wild story and it just never really makes any sense. This is one of those low rent films that tries to be a lot smarter than it actually is but for the most part all of this stuff just leads to boredom. The biggest problem with the film is its slow pace, which is the norm for a Rollin picture. Sometimes this slow pace really helps but often times it hurts and that's the case here. The performances really aren't anything special and even though there's quite a bit of nudity, none of it is ever erotic. The cinematography is quite good as is the music score but that's about the only thing this film has going for it.

Definitely a Rollin flick

Author: udar55 from Williamsburg, VA
16 December 2009

Following a strange encounter with a young woman, Pierre (Olivier Martin) begins snooping around the location where he last saw her and quickly uncovers a mystery leading all the way to his own father. See, Pierre's dad has kidnapped this vampire girl and is using his company in order to try to find out the secret to her immortality. This is director Jean Rollin's second vampire film but the first one that I've witnessed. I'm not sure it is entirely successful, but it clearly establishes some Rollin motifs. I did enjoy the dream-like staging even if it has a slumber-like pace at only 81 minutes long. As always, Rollin has a keen eye for the ladies and everyone here is downright gorgeous. Especially of note are the twin servants, played by real life twins Marie-Pierre & Catherine Castel. Rollin also has an equally good eye at catching some great images and the final half hour set in a picturesque château in the country features some really striking bits. Of course, you know he is going to work that beach in there too and the last few minutes feature that famous location (plus a dimensional jump and twist that reminded me a bit of PHANTASM).

Another Elegant But Messy and Tedious Erotic Vampire Film From Jean Rollin

Author: Bensch
17 July 2010

Jean Rollin is admired by many of my fellow Eurohorror enthusiasts for his delirious visual elegance. I agree that Rollin's films are visually overwhelming. While I get why people admire this talent, however, I mostly do not find the style of Rollin's films sufficient to make up for the complete lack of a logic, continuity, or anything happening. The one exception is his great Zombie Gore film "Les Raisins De La Mort" ("The Grapes of Death", 1978). The prime example for Rollin's tendency to be stylish but boring is arguably "La Rose De Fer" ("Rose of Iron") of 1973, which is simultaneously one of the most visually elegant, and one of the most tiresome Horror films I ever sat through. It is not quite as bad with "La Vampire Nue" aka. "The Nude Vampire" (1970). The film is, once again, visually elegant and at least some events are happening in this film. However, they almost entirely lack any logic or tension.

The storyline is (very vaguely) about a bunch of scientist who want to examine the secret of immortality, and a pretty girl who is immortal as long as supplied with blood. Luckily for her, there is a suicide cult of people willing to sacrifice their own lives in order for the girl to maintain her immortality. Why? - Because! Then there are many long sequences of typical Rollin nonsense. This is not to say that the film has no genuine qualities. As mentioned above, the settings and cinematography are highly elegant. The female cast members are very nice to look at, and some of them have exhibitionist tendencies. However, there's not even quite as much female nudity as one might expect in a Rollin flick called "The Nude Vampire". The two twin maids (played by twins Marie-Pierre and Catherine Castel), who are dressed up in nothing but a bunch of bizarre gold plates, are the most notable aspect of the whole film; apart from being lovely to look at, they also provide the film's funniest and most interesting moments.

I cannot say that "La Vampire Nue" is a complete failure; the film has its qualities, and might be appreciated by fans of surreal stuff. However, even though I consider myself to be exactly that, I fund this to be rather tedious. Overall, this is worth checking out for Rollin-fans. When it comes to European directors associated with erotic Horror films, I will personally always prefer the great Spaniard Jess Franco, some of whose films may be nonsensical, but almost all of them highly entertaining. My rating of "La Vampire Nue": 4/10

Friggan awesome

Author: jimi_rigger from United States
14 June 2011

I've been watching a lot of so- called "B" rated vampire flicks over the last few weeks. This one is by far the oldest one which does not necessarily count the vamp as the bad guy. Although traditionally it doesn't really give the vamp much credit either. Don't let the name fool ya... The French were never one for outstanding creativity... just good art. The "Nude" part of the title held me back from this one for awhile. Mostly because my kids are always watching movies with me. Even still, it was very tasteful, and I would not keep this treasure from anyone. I loved the dramatics. the settings were nice, almost Shakespearian. Overall this was a pretty awesome movie. Considering most vamp flicks don't do the "Not so bad" thing until Anne Rice. Way to go Jean.

Highly Underrated Philosophical Gem!

Author: meddlecore from Canada
9 October 2015

With no dialogue for about the first 8 1/2 minutes, The Nude Vampire begins with a woman being pursued by a bunch of masked cult members. Seeing that she is in distress, a young man tries to assist her with her escape, but to no avail. She is gunned down by a man in a deer mask and carried away. The man helping her flees up a train bridge (in fear for his life), but makes an attempt to follow the men carrying her away.

The young man turns out to be the son of some elite member of the cult. But despite warnings to steer clear...he can't resist.

He tries to get in, but is denied without an invitation. So he mugs someone with an invitation and cons his way in. Now he can find out, first hand, what this odd sect of individuals are up to...

As soon as he gets in, a young woman seems to be randomly chosen...and willingly commits suicide. Bags are put over everyone's heads. Another young woman comes down and drinks blood from the suicide victim.

Little does he suspect that he is next to be chosen... He pretends to go with it, until they give him the gun. Then he kills the unmasked leader and attempts to flee. Luckily for him, some spies on the inside- who have a connection with his family- help him make it out alive and in one piece. After which he is told to report to his father, "where more mysteries await".

Turns out that his father is running a cult based around this vampire chick- who can heal right away as along as her internal organs aren't damaged. His goal is to absorb her immortality for himself. But to do this he needs a vampire of the same blood type- so that he can breed them. In the meantime, he has organized a separate suicide cult in her means to keep her fed.

There also seems to be another cult working against the boy's trying to free the vampiress from her life of captivity. Other vampires perhaps? Whoever they are, they have chosen him (or he has been destined) to become an initiate. But perhaps not everything is as it seems...

The film concludes on an incredibly philosophic note with a positive another dimension!!! (haha)

I absolutely loved this film! It's certainly not your typical "vampire" story; and the whole cult angle makes it particularly intriguing. Everything is beautifully framed and shot. And, well, if you came here for the tits...there's lots of those too.

However, I enjoyed it most for the gnostic themes revealed in it's final twist.

An underrated gem. Check this one out, especially if you are philosophically inclined.

8.5 of 10

The meditating mentor

Author: chaos-rampant from Greece
1 November 2012

Rollin in his usual mode impresses with place, color, dreamlike reverie. His women are unappealingly scrawny and bland, but his teasing of the cinematic imagination works for me enough to want to step in his ether - his films feel much less constructed than what passes as sensual these days, the night air and architectural walls of the thing always feel real, the texture real.

The film opens with a distraught 'virgin' being followed in dark streets by mysterious masked figures, everything in the film that is of that same somnambulist quality carries resonance and I would not dissuade you from watching. It really is fine in ways that you will seldom see in a horror film and that Kubrick bombastically killed in Eyes Wide Shut (it breathes here).

But damn it all to hell, if he isn't utterly inept as a storyteller and ruins every pleasure of touch. I don't mean that he wants to confound logic, I like that he does. I welcome filmmakers of the sort - Lynch, Ruiz, Zulawski, those who tether you to narrative threads you have much less control of than usual then pull and leave you scudding through the shattered story-parts.

It's quite the opposite with Rollin. Though the world feels real, the interplay of story dynamics is cartoonish at best. Every initially baffling element has to be explained in due time, and each explanation is dumber than a sack of rocks. He is not illogical in the sense that we cannot fathom more than bits of a deeply inscrutable world, quite simply he jots down a coherent story from a few absurd/fantastical elements then gives it to us in conveniently random ways.

In this case, the movie about vampires is a horror show being put on, the vampires are only vampires because we believe they are. This is repeatedly stressed out for us.

The point of all this is apparently the celebration of the rigor and 'purity' of youth, remember those where the Vietnam years, who in Rollin's garbled set of metaphors are equated with a mutant race of immortals.

Rollin's problem is that he is not content to be a perfume master who seduces the senses, he wants to be a bit like the meditating mentor in this film, someone who promises initiation into the 'hidden dimension' of truths so he ends up being as silly.

Must see sexplotation movie

Author: goatyhead from United States
20 September 2012

I started watching this movie by accident. I found that even with a sub par plot, minimal acting, and terrible effects this movie was a sexplotation delight. It was like a weird Bjork video but with better looking women. It was extremely subtly sexy and the framing and cinematography was superb. Considering the director had a cruddy plot, he worked wonders. The opening scene was odd, yet very well done.

If you like watching sexy Euro women walking around scantly clad, and getting undressed for no apparent reason, creep yet sexy twins, and a very modest attempt at making something different, you will like this addition to the cheap horror movie genre.