IMDb > Precautions Against Fanatics (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Precautions Against Fanatics More at IMDbPro »Massnahmen gegen Fanatiker (original title)

Kind of Fake-Documentation short - very funny

Author: werner-j-busch from Germany
7 March 2005

"Measures Against Fanatics" (BRD 1969) is a kind of fake documentation, containing some loose scenes where people on a horse-racing circuit talk about the way they prevent the horses of fanatics. But an old grandpa - hardly breathing - has his own opinions about that...

Very amusing and curious Shortmovie from Werner Herzogs early years, including a very funny (and rare) performance by Peter Schamoni. Also, Mario Adorf can be seen in a short but cool supporting role. A must-see.

This rare movie is an extra on the DVD of "Lebenszeichen" (BRD 1968). The first 90min picture by Werner Herzog. Also "Last Words" (BRD 1967) and "The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz" (BRD 1967) are extras on this DVD.

It must lose something in the translation.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
28 December 2012

"Massnahmen Gegen Fanatiker" is a German documentary short by Werner Herzog. While I noticed that some reviewers loved it and thought it to be a brilliant mockumentary, as an American who watching the film it all seemed very pointless...even stupid. Now I am NOT being critical of the film--more saying that whatever the joke is, I cannot fathom it and think this will be the reaction non-Germans will have when they see the film. Why is it funny or clever? I have no idea! My advice is to see the film with a German friend--so they can explain it and why it's a good film. As for me, I just felt lost and confused. All I saw were some nutty folks who just rambled on and on and on....and on.

make sure to find it with subtitles

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
14 August 2007

Currently there is a version of Measures Against Fanatics on you-tube, which was how I got to see this short Werner Herzog film from early in his career. It's about horse racing, or rather the people who take care of the horses, and how to, apparently, protect them from the 'fanatics' of the title. Unfortunately, it's hard to really give a totally quantifiable rating to the documentary, because the version currently available, despite being in excellent picture and sound quality, has no subtitles in English (and being that I'm not up on my German much at all I could only pick out a few words here and there based on what I've heard in other movies and elsewhere).

As far as visuals go it's not bad, though there's not a whole lot Herzog can go in photographing such things like horses walking around and their protectors talking (though it is cool to see one of the horses walking around). It seems to mostly be dull even without knowing entirely what the context is usually in, but there are still some noticeable Herzogian moments, like when the one trainer or whomever proceeds to break blocks of wood with his hand. Or with the mere presence of the old man, who always seems to be interrupting the dialog the person answering is having, always with his say. The music is also ironically cheerful, which makes funny in an off-kilter sort of way.

It is worth watching, if you're a Herzog fan like I am, though knowing a little German might help add a little extra enjoyment.

clever but not funny

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
26 August 2007

Proof that Germans are not good at humor and that even Herzog missteps.

Various people around a race track talk about protecting the horses from crazy fanatics, while an older man tries to run them off.

Surreal tale that doesn't really work. The bits go on way past the point of being funny, though there are some very amusing moments such as the man who trains horses by walking them around a tree for 36 hours, however since no horse could keep up the pace he has to trade off horses.

Its a long 12 minutes and the punchline, while amusing doesn't really add up to much.

4 shorts by Herzog

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
29 February 2008

Precautions About Fanatics (1969)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

Herzog short is just one running gag about a fanatic at a race horse. A few laughs.

Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreutz, The (1966)

** (out of 4)

Herzog spoof of war and soldiers and the thoughts that creep into ones mind. There are a few funny jokes but again, nothing too interesting.

Last Words (1967)

** (out of 4)

Another Werner Herzog short, this one I'm guessing was meant to be some sort of spoof about people and their last words but none of it is all that funny.

Herakles (1960)

** (out of 4)

Werner Herzog's first film is about a young man who works out hoping to become very muscular one day. Nothing too interesting here.