IMDb > Kes (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Great Viewing

Author: SamUK (sam_thematrix@hotmail.com) from Milton Keynes, England
29 December 2002

I was forced to watch this movie in an English class of mine when i was studying at secondary school. I can honestly say that the entire class enjoyed it even those you at first saw it as a chance to fool about shut up once the movie started.

It is a brilliant insight into some areas of England at that time.You cant help but feel sorry for the boy in the movie and it is very moving. A great movie, if you get the chance watch it you wont be disappointed.

Soars Above Scholarship

Author: (t.mcparland@ntlworld.com)
10 December 2000

The title is Billy Casper's abbreviation for ‘kestrel.' Ken Loach's movie was refused a London premier lest a Southern English audience didn't understand the Northern Barnsley accents. In the end it had to, given the movie's critical success in the UK. Truthfully singular among ‘school movies,' its underlining premise that there are other areas of learning beyond bleak Northern schoolrooms, KES does not promote the lie about transformation of educational barbarian to worthy scholar through the example of a dedicated teacher. It instead awakens somnambulant educators to the reality that the real barbarians are at the other end of the classroom.

In KES's release year, I taught in a Northern school like this. KES accurately depicts both mood, attitude abroad with gritty Northern English realism. In artfully capturing this, Ken Loach's movie moves. Despite its unaffected poignancy, incidental trivialities- as in real life -remain memorable: The sudden spurt of tears from the ‘neat' boy as he is wrongly punished by the odious headmaster, the ‘night out' in a Yorkshire pub, and the outrageous games lesson by the loathsome Mr. Sugden, [Brian Glover].

At the time I was aware of Loach's other TV masterpiece CATHY COME HOME but thankfully unaware of its director. This meant I enjoyed KES with neither prescience nor tyranny of directorial reputation.

Ken Loach's most beautiful work!!

Author: che-29
5 June 2000

Definitely a film that depicts growing up in an industrial based economical environment very accurately.All of the scenes at school are honest and devastating.The scenes with the kestrel are some of the Best Ken Loach has ever done .The Colors in the film are very muted but add to the dreary feeling of the Main character's future.There is a hidden beauty in the film ,but it's hard to figure out .It will be simple for viewers who have gone thru similar struggles.Hands down vintage British cinema!!

Why does this movie have to be so mean-spirited?

Author: pinkarray
20 May 2015

I couldn't understand the actions so I'm going to have to watch the whole movie in subtitles.

The film tries to shy away from cute with a gritty atmosphere.

David Bradley plays the cute little boy in this heart-warming, heart-breaking flick. He was so memorable that I just wanted to meet this character. The Yorkshire accent isn't distinct between some actors. But David Bradley was the standout as he gave an incredible performance as Billy for a child. But the director, besides some exceptional directing, could've picked better actors to make the characters more distinct.

The screenplay is very predictable, talky and quite clichéd as the boy adventures and goes through these hard times such as students bullying kids and the religious element of going to church, which bring the movie down but if you get pass these, it's a great movie.

Even if it may not be heavy in subject matters, I still don't think that kids can sit through this unless they're maybe 12, which you can tell the movie is not marketed at. Otherwise, it's an underrated and memorable film. It's a sad film if not too sad.

There is swearing, nudity and stealing from the boy in this, which isn't memorable.

Good

Author: Cosmoeticadotcom (cosmoetica@gmail.com) from United States
21 June 2012

Kes is not a great film, nor even a near-great one, but it is a good film- at times very good (even with brilliant flashes), and shows how political art can be of quality when the art trumps the politics. That Kes, the bird, has so little screen time in its titular film is merely a recapitulation of Billy's reality that shows that the bird, while not the main part of his existence, is certainly the best part of his existence- at least for the duration of the film. It's odd, for sometimes when one watches an old film for the first time (especially a film of an emotionally or intellectually resonant quality): there is a tendency for them to sort of backfill one's own past. I.e.- they sort of get locked in to a place in time that seems like it has always occupied in one's own past, as if one had seen it when younger, and always carried an idea or memory of it with one. At least that's the way it is with me, and others have told me similar things. Hopefully, Billy Casper was never so locked in to anything, past or present, and escaped the life in the town's coal mines that he so dreaded. I hope he did. I knew him once.

If you were a teenager in the 60-70s you must watch this film

Author: misterff from United Kingdom
7 August 2005

Possibly the most realistic film you will ever see. No special effects, no pretty boys in the starring roles, just honest natural performances. Billy is from one of the poorest districts of town.Typicaly in trouble with the police and a no hoper at school, his only job prospects are in the local pit. He finds(steals) a baby Kestral, his whole world is this bird.His English teacher takes an interest and Billy shows that he can concentrate and there is hope for him yet. Don't miss an all time classic sporting scene with Brian Glover as a bullying sports master(just like we all knew at school in the 1970s) The ending is shocking but not unexpected though this will not spoil your enjoyment of this great British classic.

british film at its best

Author: andrew (andy@cassell23.fsnet.co.uk) from barnsley.england
3 December 2002

living in the area where this film was made and attending the school (st helens comp) where kes was filmed i can look back and understand how true to life

this film was. i remember getting caned at school for smoking and plenty of casper type charicters. today all as changed where there once stood a pit now sits an empty field. the pits around the area now replaced by modern industrial estates. the school itself hasn't changed much exept the name.

this type of film will get better with age. although a very tough era looking back. its a time i look back fondly growing up as a child.

Top Film

Author: johnfromdon from Doncaster, England
11 July 2002

The film is fantastic - I love it!

I grew up in a mining community, and remember it being like that - I even remember friends like young Billy too, although I wasn't like him!

The Headmaster, Mr Gryce used to teach my Mum at Hatfield Modern School, and she said he was just the same there!!

Above all, a real good film for everyone to watch!

A classic movie

Author: dave from uk
16 May 2001

Having grown up in the area where Kes was filmed it must remain as a classic of British movie history.What a story is told of a young boy growing up through sorrow ,grief,bullying and with no father or real parental guidance he grows through the training of a Kestrel.The film is real,gritty and if you can understand the dialect(i can) it is well worth ninety minutes of your time.the way it is put across on the screen makes this a true classic.............

it's life and love of the times that inspires me

Author: awesomeaki from Taiwan
20 November 2006

Out of the night that covers me, Black as the Pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul. In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeoning of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears Lies but the horror of the shade, And yet the menace of the years Finds, and shall find me, unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]