IMDb > The Italian Job (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Italian Job

The Italian Job More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

What a car chase!

Author: grahamsj3 from United States
14 November 2002

This film has been one of my favorites for years. While it's not overly absorbing or even that well acted, the CAR CHASE towards the end is the absolute BEST I've ever seen (and that INCLUDES Bullitt!). The yarn is about a thief planning to do a heist by creating a massive traffic jam and escaping using small cars able to navigate through "alternative routes". The job is pulled off and the car chase is on. The thieves use Mini-Coopers and lead the Police on one of the greatest car chases ever filmed. They utilize sewers and other very tight places to elude the police. The car chase alone is worth the film but the rest of it is also pretty fair. Look for Michael Caine doing a fine job in this film. Again, this is one of my all-time favorites!

Pure British Class!

Author: gtazz from Leeds, England
31 January 2001

How to describe something which epitomizes true English spirit in less that 1000 words? Argh.

I've seen this film over a 100 times, and I never seem to tire of it. It has a style unto its own that just catches you up and pulls you along for the ride. I mean carrying gold in the back of a Mini! It's ludicrous, but it works. There's no denying it.

Beneath the late 60's gloss there is a bloody good film under here. A very intricate plot, perfectly delivered lines ("You must have shot an awful lot of tigers. - Yes, I used a machine gun") and above all a great cast.

Caine does the business once again, and a solid supporting cast with greats such as John LeMesurier ensures you can't help but believe in the characters.

As I say, an intricate plot, which unfortunately dates the film. These days a cinema experience seems to be more of a wham bang thank you mam. But if you feel like watching a proper film, with proper characters and a huge dollop of English patriotism, then this is for you.

Get your skates on mate!

Hang on lads, I've got a great idea for a film

Author: Sonatine97 (sonatine97@hotmail.com) from Birmingham, England
24 August 2002

A film remembered very much for its quirky ending and amazing car stunts in the middle of Turin, Italy, The Italian Job does a half-decent job to entertain us with light hearted comedy, thrills, spills and average story.

However, I rather think the film would've disappeared had it not been for the charismatic weightiness of the relatively new British actor, Michael Caine. Already well known in the UK from previous films such as Zulu & Alfie, and it particular for his portrayal of Harry Palmer in a succession of spy movies (Ipcress File and Funeral In Berlin) Caine was still largely an unknown on the internation circuit, particularly in Hollywood.

The Italian Job offered Caine the opportunity to shine across the world and move him into super stardom as the cheeky Cockney with a heart of gold and roguish character. Caine has a very interesting presence on screen, a kind of British version of Robert Redford. He looks very self assured, perhaps a touch arrogant but he has the capabilities of either lifting a poor film into a competent one or dragging a goood film down to an average one based purely on his own strengths & weaknesses.

The Italian Job, therefore, is very much an average film even if one includes the stunts & chases. But Caine's marvellous character lifts the movies to a more pleasing one because his character is so large & rounded that even though we know he is very much a dodgy criminal by nature he isn't really a nasty evil man and so we can relate to him and cheer him on all the way through the movie.

I didn't really like Noel Coward's role at all as the Mr Bridger, the highly respected prisoner/criminal overlord that even the prison Governor has to respect. To me it was an embarressment and only served to distract the viewer and slow the pace of the film right down. Coward is far too pompous & boorish and added nothing to the movie at all.

Some of the supporting characters, Benny Hill, Robert Powell, Irene Handl & John Le Measurier are quite familiar to the great majority of UK tv viewers but don't really do themselves much justice in this film, with the possible exception of Hill and his passion for "large" ladies, which would in future years develop into his own TV show "Benny Hill Show".

Although the story is ok it soon becomes bogged down with too many distractions & seems to take for ever to get moving. And of course because this is primarily a British made film with a lot of UK actors the largely Cockney accent from most of the cast does irritate, even to other UK ears.

But again Caine's presence makes us forget about these little faults and all of a sudden the film becomes interesting again. But really this film is far too dependent on those car chases and "that" ending to really make for an enjoyable experience.

What the 2003 version of this film will look like I have no idea, but I suspect it will fall flat on its face very much in the same way the Hollywood remake of another British classic, Get Carter, died a quiet death two years ago.

The Italian Job is ok for a boring Sunday afternoon viewing, but take away Caine and you don't have much to think about.

**/*****

Those Bloody Doors...

Author: Thomas Drufke
3 June 2015

Today in film, we are obsessed with heroes. No matter if they are actually superheroes, super spies, or just fast drivers, we love to see high octane action with our leads saving the day. Well we also love to root for the anti-hero. The Italian Job is a great example of a film that definitely had an influence on the Fast & Furious franchise, or just any film that gets us to root for characters who aren't necessarily doing the right thing.

It stars Michael Caine, a fresh out of jail criminal who is convinced to do one more job. The ultimate multi-million dollar 'Italian Job'. His character, much like most of Michael Caine's early characters, is a ladies man, and also just about as smooth as any British character can get. He's in charge of putting his team together to perfect the job, and the film turns out to be a pretty fun ride. Now I think most of the goofiness and comedy can be a bit dated if you watch it now, but the action definitely holds up. The stunts are impeccable for a 1960's film. In fact the third act has several stunts that would be considered great if it came out today. I think the film suffers at times from having a lack of a clear and present main villain. It's much like Fast 5, in that it's a really fun film with bold action that just doesn't feel complete because the villain (if you can really call him a villain) just isn't present enough for us to care.

But the film is still endlessly entertaining and full of classic quotes and a great Michael Caine performance. I know the ending is a bit controversial for some people but I actually love it. I think it was the perfect ending for a film with this kind of tone. So in all, The Italian Job is a solid heist film that I'm sure was praised during it's time.

+Caine is such a ladies man

+Stunts & action

+Suspenseful towards the end

+Perfect ending

-Lack of a present villain

-Goofy at times

7.5/10

A fun caper comedy and British satire

Author: SimonJack from United States
28 May 2015

Having commented on the 2003 remake of this movie, I thought I should also review the original – after watching it again. I noted that the 2003 version is good as well, but it is all crime without the comedy, and it's almost all "high tech." The plot of this original does rely on technology – a switched computer tape that runs the city of Turin's traffic system. But, that's taken care of in a few minutes of the film. The rest is a plot of planning, maneuvering and action with interludes of miscues. This is among the earliest films to use a high-tech device in its plot. Before this time, the most commonly used plots with technical devices were security alarm systems in museums and cameras in banks.

Humor is interspersed in all this. It's a British movie filmed in Ireland, England, the city of Turin, Italy, and the Italian Alps. Michael Caine is Charlie Croker, a local bad boy who has just finished two years in the slammer. Noel Coward is Mr. Bridger, the imprisoned king of corruption in Great Britain. Croker has to get Bridger's organization to back the biggest heist of all time -- $4 million in gold. Raf Vallone is Altabani, the Italian mafia leader who's out to stop the British heist.

Besides being a very good comedy caper film, "The Italian Job" (1969) is one heck of a satire of the British penal system. Every scene back at the prison with Mr. Bridger is hilarious. This is the funniest and best mockery portrayal of a big time criminal living the life of royalty in a prison. The film has a large cast of men involved in the heist, but the vast bulk of dialog, scene time and humor is with the three main characters.

The cinematography is excellent and the filming and scripting of the car chase scenes is among the best of that type of action ever filmed. Mr. Bridger's loyalty to Great Britain and the royal family is the cause of some good laughs a few times. Croker saves the lives of his crew when Altabani and his Mafia men intercept them coming into Italy over the Alps. He tells Altabani that if the Mafia kills him and his men, Bridge's organization would come down on the thousands of Italian restaurants and other businesses in Great Britain.

The Mafia is protective of Italy's economy, while Bridger also is interested in bolstering England's lagging economy by causing the hit on Italy's economy through the heist. It's all quite funny. There are some instances of innuendo about Croker and his love life, and a few otherwise clean jokes in places that only the older children are likely to get. So, this is a film that the whole family should enjoy. I think one of the very best scenes is the ending. It's the perfect "unending" to leave an audience to wonder if the old adage is true – that "crime does not pay."

A Witty And Intelligent Caper Film

Author: Desertman84 from United States
4 December 2014

The Italian Job is a British caper film that tells a story of flashy and fast romp that chases a team of career criminals throughout one of the biggest international gold heists in history.It stars Michael Caine together with Noël Coward,Benny Hill,Raf Vallone and Tony Beckley.It was written by Troy Kennedy Martin, produced by Michael Deeley and directed by Peter Collinson.

Charlie Croker is a stylish robber and ladies man that just out of prison. He returns to becoming a career criminal upon release by taking over the "The Italian Job" - a complicated plan to hijack gold bullion from Italy during the presence of the Italian Police and the Mafia. It seems that Croker lack the experience for such a big heist and that complicates the situation after the supposed leader got murdered.But Croker turns to the eccentric Mr. Bridger,who provides him with a group of career criminals with certain specialties such as computer hackers,bank robbers, hijackers, and getaway drivers.

This was definitely cool film back in the 60's.It was an unpretentious caper comedy.Added to that,the different characters involved and the different type of criminals with different sets of expertise makes it witty and entertaining.No question that the witty dialogues and one-liners adds charm and appeal to it.Finally,it is a smoothly entertaining and slyly intelligent crowd-pleasing type of film that will never go out of style.

"We are the self preservation society"

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
8 May 2013

It's probably not a good idea to see a remake first, but in the case of The Italian Job I did see the Mark Wahlberg/Ed Norton/Donald Sutherland version first. That was an interesting enough film with the action on revenge. But this original with Michael Caine playing the ringleader of a daring bullion hijack has a sense of style all its own. And why wouldn't it with Noel Coward giving his farewell screen performance.

Caine is the ringleader of a team of crack hijackers who've been given a plan by the late Rossano Brazzi and it's Caine's job to flesh it out and make it all happen. He's given the plan by Brazzi's less than grieving widow Margaret Blye and he takes it to master criminal Noel Coward.

Watching Coward running things from his prison cell put me in mind of Goodfellas where the wise guys are all living the good life via bribes of guards, etc. He might be in jail, but no one is going crimp in any way Noel Coward's sense of refinement. Caine has to sell himself and the job to Coward.

But once he does the robbery goes off like clockwork. The caper itself is where this version and the Mark Wahlberg version are at the most similar. Who would have thought that Seth Green would be playing a role originated by Benny Hill as a computer mastermind. Of course computers have changed some in the over 30 years between the two films.

Only Ocean's 11 (the Sinatra version) has the same sense of irony in its conclusion as The Italian Job has. Talk about unresolved endings.......

This film proves that sometimes the special effects of today are a total waste of time. Its brilliant!!!

Author: Zach Kingsbury from United Kingdom
30 October 2011

This film is possibly my favourite film of all time. i have always been a big fan of Michael Caine i think he's excellent and has always been that way. But i think his performance here is especially good, hes got the right voice for the lead role. He also has those facial expressions which you can read like a book, which i love! Also the sets and locations were excellent and well chosen! The directing and producing i thought was one of best bits, if i am totally honest i couldn't spot one thing wrong. They done a VERY thorough but a really good job as well.

Overall this movie is my favourite film of all time, and certainly one of those films i will NEVER get tired off. So to the people who created this masterpiece in film you didn't just "blow the doors off" you definitely "blew it apart". Very Well Done!!!

Definitely worth watching despite its flaws

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
14 June 2010

I enjoyed The Italian Job in general, I don't revere it as a classic but it is entertaining with a great cast, fabulous locations and a brilliant soundtrack. The secondary characters could have been developed much more though, and the direction was a little too flashy. That said, a vast majority of the dialogue is above decent, there are occasions where it could have been better, but it is good enough. It is well paced though, and the cinematography, scenery, set pieces and costumes are fabulous, Turin looks glamorous and the interiors from Twickenham Studios are stunning. Quincy Jones's soundtrack is brilliant, and the cast is first rate, with Michael Caine suave and charismatic, Noel Coward marvellous and Benny Hill great value. Overall, not a classic by all means but very good. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Good job!

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
11 May 2010

Fun heist caper, whose reputation appears to have grown over the years, especially measured against the Hollywood remake - remodel in recent times. The film's notable for two of the more enduring movie catch-phrases (Caine's Charlie Croker admonishing one of his gang who overdoes a tad the opening of a van door with "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!") and of course that wonderfully enigmatic pay-off line at the finish, Caine again - "Hang on lads, I've got a great idea..." as the gang's future suspends literally in the balance.

Caine powers the action along as the gang-master and schemer and is great value here, but even he is overshadowed by the old maestro Noel Coward in a film-stealing role as the overlord, royalty-loving, Mafia-defying Mr Bridger who sees the heist as a contribution to the national deficit and morale-boosting fillip to the country more than anything else. To be fair, no one else in the cast gets a look-in on the acting stakes and quite what lecherous old Benny Hill is doing playing a lecherous old boffin is anyone's guess.

The locations are superb, the stunts great (this must be the first movie with a "car-count", so many end up wrecked), with the flotilla of minis (deliberately red white and blue, doubtless, to bolster the nationalist feeling, although the Scot in me would respectfully point out that the English flag doesn't contain any blue!) reminiscent to me of nothing as much as the pursuit of O.J. Simpson. Quincy Jones, oddly enough for this most English of films, gets to deliver a natty soundtrack apart from a god-awful cockney rhyming slang song of zero merit entirely. My only other carp would be, as so often in movies of this era, over the denigrating treatment of women - for example, the widow of the original mastermind, killed off by the Mafia at the outset and whose "Mission Impossible" type message beyond the grave to Caine sets up the story, only has to see Caine before she's bedding him, "and you still in your widow's weeds" as he drolly tells her...

Anyway, although slightly dated by this and other facets of the screenplay, this is a fast moving, highly entertaining movie, which keeps you watching throughout.