The Italian Job (1969) Poster

The DVD rights a few wrongs!
JohnHowardReid19 December 2017
I was surprised that Paramount issued a DVD (a 10/10 job too!) of The Italian Job (1969). I remember watching this film on its first release. It was a Friday night and I was sitting alone (not counting four usherettes) in a cavernous, 1,514-seats cinema.

Box-office-wise, the film was a complete dud in most towns, though it did good business in Liverpool and Manchester. The conclusion gets my nomination as the worst movie cop-out of all time and as for Mr Caine, here repeating his Alfie image in the broadest possible way, the less said the better.

True, the car chases were expertly filmed with a certain amount of inventive gusto (but the best sequence was left on the cutting-room floor. Fortunately, it has been rescued from obscurity in the Paramount DVD) but cars do not a movie make. You can see them any day on the street or (if you're dead keen) at an auto show.

On the other hand, it was certainly a grand idea to have Noel Coward receive such an overwhelming on-screen ovation in his last film.
Iconic Michael Caine film
HotToastyRag30 November 2017
As you might be able to guess from the title, The Italian Job involves just that. Michael Caine has just been released from prison, and he goes to Italy to take part in a large-scale robbery, with the help of his friends Noel Coward, Lelia Goldoni, Maggie Blye, and Benny Hill.

It's quite a bit different than the 2003 remake with Mark Wahlberg, but since they both star pretty dreamy leads, no matter which one you rent I'm sure you'll be thoroughly entertained. In the original, Michael Caine utters one of the most famous one-liners after his colleague detonates a van: "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" If you've heard of that line, chances are you've heard of this film. There's also an incredibly famous ending to this movie, which I won't spoil for you. Depending on your point of view, it'll make you love or hate the movie, but I really liked the ending. It fits the rest of the film, and Michael Caine's 1960s persona, perfectly. If you're just starting out on the heist film genre, both versions of The Italian Job are great places to start. They're entertaining, humorous without being cheesy, and have some pretty tense scenes that will have you on the edge of your seat.
not really to my taste
christopher-underwood29 October 2017
It's a funny thing with Blu-ray, well Blu-ray discs and me, anyway. I always find that the cars, the buses and coaches, the truck and lorries and the airplanes all look sensational in the increased quality of picture but that the actors look worse. It must be to do with the use of make-up intended to be seen on the old 35mm projection and that doesn't quite cut it with the new technology. In any event the vehicles look great, as do the snow capped mountains and Caine gives an endearing performance in a slickly produced film from Peter Collinson. Its not really to my taste, I prefer the Italians own rather more exploitative and rough versions or even the earlier and more realistic British films like Robbery although it has to be said that the final chase is full on and very effective. I've no idea why Fiat were so co-operative when it was our own cars that stole the show and I also think it was a good idea to have the film end the way it does. Oh, and a very bad idea to have that terrible jingoistic song given so much exposure and to have allowed Noel Coward to appear so stupid - but then we all used to love the criminal class then - or were supposed to.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most I recently have laughed at one sitting, hope that's not a spoiler
EFNuttin (EFNottin)24 April 2017
Aww, man it was on non-cable Movies! this evening and I sure will try to see the whole thing soon.

I probably only caught the last 30 mins yet still about split a gut.

All I would say to the naysayers is that most of what I've read they don't like about this movie is exactly what I like about this movie.

Very close to a 9 to me, maybe if I see the rest I will give it higher.
A patriotic pleasure
Leofwine_draca7 August 2016
A classic British comedy of errors which has, if anything, become even cooler over the years than when it was first released, what with its swinging sixties setting and definitive performance from Michael Caine, which is both deadpan and at the same time hilarious. Indeed, this is the film that gave us one of his classic quotes ("You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!") and for the most part its Caine's film - without him, I don't believe it would work half as well. Made back in a time when the perfect popcorn film was lively, entertaining, well-acted, and immaculately made (like the early Bond films with Sean Connery) instead of the modern vacuous special effects outings we see in cinemas, this is a breath of fresh air and a film impossible to dislike.

The comedy comes from the misfortune our unusual leading characters find themselves in, as they attempt to carry out an elaborate robbery and find something going wrong at every turn. Despite this, they still manage to triumph through perseverance and plain luck, which makes their characters admirable despite being thieves. Our classic anti-heroes are made to look good through the intervention of the real bad guys of the film, i.e. the Italian Mafia, who think nothing of murder and destruction to keep the gold in their country. The film perfectly blends thrills with comedy and I was surprised how well it was shot and photographed all the way through; director Peter Collinson deserves recommendation.

The finale, which involves literally hundreds of motor vehicles involved in city-wide traffic jams and some classic chases involving three minis (red, white and blue, naturally) and the Italian police, is riveting stuff. The film also boasts the talents of noted British comedians Benny Hill, Irene Handl, and John Le Mesurier, all of whom have rather small roles, as well as Noel Coward in a scene-stealing part late in his career as Mr. Bridger, the big-time gangster who could wipe the floor with any of the would-be hard men of LOCK, STOCK, AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS. The actual robbery itself is tense, suspenseful and imaginatively staged. The Italian Job is a patriotic pleasure from a more innocent age long since gone.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic
Tony Mullaney7 January 2016
A fantastic classic British Movie from back in the 60s, I have watched it countless times, so much so I know many of the lines. The cars are great but there is one scene that will make any car guy cry. The story is great the cast fantastic a far better film than the re-make with a better story too and the ending is awesome. I often think it would be great to remake this story true to the original maybe with alternate endings that could be chosen by the viewer would be good. Caine plays a great part as only he could and you can't help but like the guy as do the ladies in the movie. Watch it if you love fun movies, cars, British classics or Caine, you will not be sad you did.
Self-Preservation indeed
sol-27 December 2015
More impressive the second and third time round, 'The Italian Job' is a film best watched with as few expectations as possible. Its status as one of the greatest crime capers of all time leaves a little to be desired with formulaic characters and none of the buddy-buddy dynamics of 'Ocean's Eleven' and films of its ilk. The fact that we never get to know the characters beyond their basic plot function is less problematic though when one views the film on its own terms. The movie doesn't exactly have a lot to say (other than 'us' against 'them' stuff), but it offers an interesting portrait of the role of automobiles in society, right down to the traffic jam itself, where vehicles that are meant to help one to get around actually prevent folks from getting around. It's a surprisingly funny film too; "this is my toilet!" Coward exclaims after a surprising rendezvous with Caine, and large fluffy toys that will not stop squeaking provide a comical overtone to Caine's fight with his girlfriend. The first hour, which drags on occasional, has nothing on the briskly paced final half-hour which is indeed good enough on its own to make the entire film worth watching. The aerial photography of the three minis driving about like intelligent mice running through a maze is great, and the film's 'Self Preservation' theme song is a delight, perfectly capturing the euphoria of the British criminals. The memorable ending is pitch perfect too and works well even when one knows that it is coming.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Memorable for its car chase scenes, but otherwise quite poor
grantss12 October 2015
Memorable for its car chase scenes, but otherwise quite poor.

A recently-released criminal, Charlie Croker (played by Michael Caine), devises a plan to rob Fiat of a large amount of gold in the city of Turin. He gains the backing of a British crime kingpin, Mr Bridger (played by Noel Coward) and assembles his team. Once in Italy he discovers he now has to contend with the Mafia in order to carry out his plan...

Not sure why this is so highly regarded. Yes, the car chase scenes, involving blue, white and red Mini Coopers, are iconic, but that's it. The script is mostly quite silly. Hardly anything is plausible or makes sense and sub-plots are plain random. Far more style than substance, and the style isn't that classy.

Michael Caine puts in a solid performance in the lead role. Noel Coward's character provides much of the implausibility. Benny Hill has a supporting role as weird, creepy, fetish-loving, tech professor - an ideal role for him.

I enjoyed the 2003 remake far more - action was as good and the script was much more solid. One of the few times I've enjoyed a remake of a movie more than the original.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simple Fun with a Talented Cast,
FilmBuff19941 August 2015
The Italian Job is a good movie with a reasonably well developed storyline and a terrific comedic cast. It's a simple film, the story is very basic and easy to follow, the main thing that makes it watchable is the comedy, the great back and fourth between the cast and the chemistry which is a very important part of any movie, even when you're not necessarily laughing out loud there is always a humorous atmosphere in the film which I really liked. The ending of the film annoys me, I know this is probably a controversial statement as it is quite liked by many moviegoers, but I really didn't like it, it's very anti-climatic, after giving us so much build up, we are taken to the place we were waiting for the characters to go and once we see them in the most danger they've ever been in, the movie ends, we have no idea what comes of the main characters or the gold, and this left me unsatisfied. It is a very funny movie and the comedic dialogue works out very well, but I felt like they could have had more dramatic parts, it was the type of story that required it, and with Michael Caine in the lead role it seemed like an easy thing to do, but the movie never wants to take itself any bit seriously. It definitely has several imperfections, but the Italian Job is worth the watch if you ever see it on television and are looking for a good comedy.

A group of men plot to create a traffic jam in order to rob a shipment of gold.

Best Performance: Michael Caine
Caine Job.
Python Hyena24 June 2015
The Italian Job (1969): Dir: Peter Collinson / Cast: Michael Caine, Noel Coward, Maggie Blye, Benny Hill, Raf Vallone: Amusing comic caper about operations. In this case Noel Coward will divert the authorities from inside a prison by causing a massive traffic jam. Michael Caine assembles a team and they will use the traffic jam as a means of stealing $4, 000, 000 in gold. Filled with funny sight jokes mostly involving car chases but the plot is detailed and the ending gives new meaning to the word cliffhanger. Directed by Peter Collinson who tries to detail the operation while capitalizing on humour. The cast is headed by a fantastic performance by Caine as the confident front man who organizes the scheme because he is the best qualified, and his last comment just before the credits roll indicate that his mind is still in motion even despite terrible odds. Coward also holds strong as a confident figure from the confines of prison. Unfortunately supporting roles play too much like a standard roll call that plays much like the structure Ocean's Eleven, and this rarely works out unless detail is given to characters. Maggie Blye plays Caine's underwritten girlfriend, and Benny Hill plays a computer genius who has a thing for overweight women. Raf Vallone plays a mafia boss who is also entangled in the plot. Well crafted film with beautiful locations and an operation that doesn't go as planned. Score: 9 / 10
Those Bloody Doors...
Thomas Drufke3 June 2015
Today in film, we are obsessed with heroes. No matter if they are actually superheroes, super spies, or just fast drivers, we love to see high octane action with our leads saving the day. Well we also love to root for the anti-hero. The Italian Job is a great example of a film that definitely had an influence on the Fast & Furious franchise, or just any film that gets us to root for characters who aren't necessarily doing the right thing.

It stars Michael Caine, a fresh out of jail criminal who is convinced to do one more job. The ultimate multi-million dollar 'Italian Job'. His character, much like most of Michael Caine's early characters, is a ladies man, and also just about as smooth as any British character can get. He's in charge of putting his team together to perfect the job, and the film turns out to be a pretty fun ride. Now I think most of the goofiness and comedy can be a bit dated if you watch it now, but the action definitely holds up. The stunts are impeccable for a 1960's film. In fact the third act has several stunts that would be considered great if it came out today. I think the film suffers at times from having a lack of a clear and present main villain. It's much like Fast 5, in that it's a really fun film with bold action that just doesn't feel complete because the villain (if you can really call him a villain) just isn't present enough for us to care.

But the film is still endlessly entertaining and full of classic quotes and a great Michael Caine performance. I know the ending is a bit controversial for some people but I actually love it. I think it was the perfect ending for a film with this kind of tone. So in all, The Italian Job is a solid heist film that I'm sure was praised during it's time.

+Caine is such a ladies man

+Stunts & action

+Suspenseful towards the end

+Perfect ending

-Lack of a present villain

-Goofy at times

7.5/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fun caper comedy and British satire
SimonJack28 May 2015
Having commented on the 2003 remake of this movie, I thought I should also review the original – after watching it again. I noted that the 2003 version is good as well, but it is all crime without the comedy, and it's almost all "high tech." The plot of this original does rely on technology – a switched computer tape that runs the city of Turin's traffic system. But, that's taken care of in a few minutes of the film. The rest is a plot of planning, maneuvering and action with interludes of miscues. This is among the earliest films to use a high-tech device in its plot. Before this time, the most commonly used plots with technical devices were security alarm systems in museums and cameras in banks.

Humor is interspersed in all this. It's a British movie filmed in Ireland, England, the city of Turin, Italy, and the Italian Alps. Michael Caine is Charlie Croker, a local bad boy who has just finished two years in the slammer. Noel Coward is Mr. Bridger, the imprisoned king of corruption in Great Britain. Croker has to get Bridger's organization to back the biggest heist of all time -- $4 million in gold. Raf Vallone is Altabani, the Italian mafia leader who's out to stop the British heist.

Besides being a very good comedy caper film, "The Italian Job" (1969) is one heck of a satire of the British penal system. Every scene back at the prison with Mr. Bridger is hilarious. This is the funniest and best mockery portrayal of a big time criminal living the life of royalty in a prison. The film has a large cast of men involved in the heist, but the vast bulk of dialog, scene time and humor is with the three main characters.

The cinematography is excellent and the filming and scripting of the car chase scenes is among the best of that type of action ever filmed. Mr. Bridger's loyalty to Great Britain and the royal family is the cause of some good laughs a few times. Croker saves the lives of his crew when Altabani and his Mafia men intercept them coming into Italy over the Alps. He tells Altabani that if the Mafia kills him and his men, Bridge's organization would come down on the thousands of Italian restaurants and other businesses in Great Britain.

The Mafia is protective of Italy's economy, while Bridger also is interested in bolstering England's lagging economy by causing the hit on Italy's economy through the heist. It's all quite funny. There are some instances of innuendo about Croker and his love life, and a few otherwise clean jokes in places that only the older children are likely to get. So, this is a film that the whole family should enjoy. I think one of the very best scenes is the ending. It's the perfect "unending" to leave an audience to wonder if the old adage is true – that "crime does not pay."
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why have I watched this film so often?
russellalancampbell8 April 2015
Each time I watch "The Italian Job", I become increasingly aware of the film's defects. Almost all of the characters are forgettable and sometimes unnecessary. Can anyone tell me why a shrill American girlfriend was required in swinging 60's London? Benny Hill's character seems obvious, forced and just not fun or funny. Even Noel Coward's role lends little to the film. The film also takes way too long to get to the heist. The Mafia intervention conceit is never really integrated into the heist section. And there is some very dodgy camera work even by the standard of the day.

So why do I watch the film? Michael Caine, Michael Caine, Michael Caine. He holds the whole film together. Well, him, the cars and the music.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun but badly dated and flawed
Christopher Reid9 January 2015
I don't know where to begin with this movie. It's full of flaws and weaknesses. I can only barely give it a 6 because Michael Caine is cool, Benny Hill was funny (but pointlessly underused) and the heist and car chase were generally creative and exciting. It was vaguely amusing (and sometimes very funny) the way Caine kept shouting at his team, who really were like a bunch of kids, so immature and selfish. Caine's character's general attitude is so care-free, he has no doubts about who he is or what he does. It's just his thing: attractive women, stealing cars or money and getting into trouble.

But then we're left with the countless weaknesses. Some of the editing was very tacky. One bit with a woman complaining was sped up. It didn't work. Most of the comedy misses. Maybe you have to be British. Or live in the 60s. But then I've enjoyed comedy from all over the world, new and old, so it must just be weak. Caine was funnier in Golmember. Just before Caine's famous line about "the bloody doors", which was very funny for the 5 seconds of screen-time it took, the camera keeps zooming in as he counts down. It's completely unnecessary and very typical for the time. The music was also very dated. Actually pretty unpleasant to listen to, it adds nothing, almost anything else would have been better. The point is, it's not timeless or appropriate but is instead strongly attached to the time and place it was made. It was the latest fashion, a fad which now shows decades of age. This applies to multiple aspects of this film and many others.

One of the worst mistakes in chase scenes is where they have the camera moving in the opposite direction to the action, as if to create more speed or velocity. It's a terrible idea. It's been used in Transformers, Big Hero 6 and countless other movies. It always looks awful. The best way to capture speed or action is a smooth, loose, long shot that stays with the moving vehicles. You feel the air, the road, everything moving past. Or you hold the camera still and let them whiz past. No sudden movements. No rapid cuts. The camera should always be roughly from someone's point of view. Trust me. Movies which have far better chase scenes include: Nolan's Batman trilogy, the Indiana Jones trilogy, Bullitt, the Star Wars movies (yes, all of them), the first two Terminator movies, most James Bond movies and most Pixar movies. The list goes on. This isn't an exaggeration.

The chase here is fun but only mildly so. We don't see the natural flow from one place to another, there's no meaningful sequence, no build- up in tension, no anticipation or exhilaration. Just a random series of stunts. It could be shown in any order and make the same amount of sense. They seem to be getting followed by only one police car at a time. Their tricks are gimmicky and predictable and nothing more than gags. There is sense of danger or risk. Plus, they're dicks. They cause so much destruction and they don't deserve the money. They're not underdogs, just idiots.

The cliff hanger ending is cringe-worthy. It's frustrating, not funny. This movie has no morals, no heart. That would be fine if it was hilarious and action-packed. But it is neither. It's tepid. It's like a soft drink that's gone flat. The characters are stupid and arbitrarily succeed or fail based on what the script decides.

The Italian Job glorifies theft. These guys are jerks. They're not likable. Ocean's Eleven (2001) was also overrated. It had mild comedy and a convenient heist made possible through the magic of movies, not logic. It placed all its bets on its coolness, of which it had very little. A classic flaw in circular logic - "being cool" doesn't make you cool. This movie is very similar, overly confident and cocky but with little work or detail or depth put into it.

They discuss their plans seemingly in public, in front of so many other people. There are no twists or betrayals. This seems highly unrealistic. With that many people, how does the information not leak? The mafia seem completely unnecessary in the movie. Many parts of the movie were difficult to follow. One character gets cheered in jail. So they knew he was behind the crime? Why do they care? Is it a rebellious act against rich people who we all apparently hate? When they get the minis into the bus, why do they keep the bus moving? Stopping would get them all on in seconds after which they can drive as fast as they want.

If you watch this movie, have low expectations. This is not a clever crime thriller. Think of it as a silly, immature movie that's trying to be funny which has some nice stunt and chase parts. Maybe it'll help if you're drunk or haven't seen a good movie before.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The serious business of making of comedy movies
Nirmal Patel30 December 2014
This movie is all about its 'comic elements'.

The robbery theme and the characters are all focused on delivering the 'comic elements' that make for a brilliant comedy movie.

The complete focus on the robbery plot makes for a classic caper movie, as well !

The remake focuses on the robbery plot as the mainstay of the movie and badly tries to add certain 'comic elements' to it.

The original focuses on the 'comedy drama' as the mainstay of the movie and as a superb platform for the robbery plot.

Even the 'end' of the robbery plot is a 'comic twist' on the comedy tale.

The focus on the serious business of a robbery, and the seriousness of the characters who plot the robbery and those who would thwart it, serve to make the audience take the 'comedy' quite seriously. And enjoy the 'comic elements' as a part of a 'serious plot'.

This 'unique perspective' of the movie is ably handled by Michael Caine, and this is what makes him the great actor that he is.
A Witty And Intelligent Caper Film
Desertman844 December 2014
The Italian Job is a British caper film that tells a story of flashy and fast romp that chases a team of career criminals throughout one of the biggest international gold heists in history.It stars Michael Caine together with Noël Coward,Benny Hill,Raf Vallone and Tony Beckley.It was written by Troy Kennedy Martin, produced by Michael Deeley and directed by Peter Collinson.

Charlie Croker is a stylish robber and ladies man that just out of prison. He returns to becoming a career criminal upon release by taking over the "The Italian Job" - a complicated plan to hijack gold bullion from Italy during the presence of the Italian Police and the Mafia. It seems that Croker lack the experience for such a big heist and that complicates the situation after the supposed leader got murdered.But Croker turns to the eccentric Mr. Bridger,who provides him with a group of career criminals with certain specialties such as computer hackers,bank robbers, hijackers, and getaway drivers.

This was definitely cool film back in the 60's.It was an unpretentious caper comedy.Added to that,the different characters involved and the different type of criminals with different sets of expertise makes it witty and entertaining.No question that the witty dialogues and one-liners adds charm and appeal to it.Finally,it is a smoothly entertaining and slyly intelligent crowd-pleasing type of film that will never go out of style.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Marginally better than the remake, but still fun to watch
brchthethird14 November 2014
THE Italian JOB is a well-made and entertaining caper film with great performances by Michael Caine and Noel Coward. Although there isn't a whole lot of pyrotechnics like the remake, this film makes up for that by being a lot of fun, and quite funny at times. Sure, there's a lack of character development for most of the members of the team, but most of them have a little moment or two here and there. Arguably, the best part of the movie outside of the performances and humor is the climactic Mini Cooper chase through the streets of Turin, followed by a (SPOILER!) literal cliffhanger of an ending, which I think works better than the happy ending in the remake. Each one has their strengths, but I think the original edges the remake out by a small margin. Bottom line: it's a really fun film to pass two hours with.
A classic heist film...
JasparLamarCrabb12 September 2014
A classic heist film directed with a lot of style and wit by Peter Collinson. Recent parolee Michael Caine enlists the aid of a group of not-so-bright criminals to rob an Italian city of $4,000,000 in gold bricks. The plan is to bring traffic to a halt and it's ingenious. This slickly made thriller has a lot going on and it's all good. The escape via mini-Coopers is spectacular. Caine is great, though his character is a bit grating, and the supporting cast including Noël Coward and Benny Hill is something to see. Coward is hilarious as a dapper crime lord, in prison but still pulling a lot of strings. Hill steals his scenes as a computer expert/masher who likes "large women." Lightening paced and very exciting. Raf Vallone (as a very competitive mafioso) and Rossano Brazzi are also in it.
Formula formula formula 60s car chase heist cum bond with unique ending
movie reviews8 June 2014
Look you have to judge this movie in context. Of course none of it is believable. So what we have is a formula car chase heist from the 60s.. Britishness humor lifted from Bond movies...in this case the M is an underworld king pin in jail in Britain. You have Michael Caine fresh out of Alfie....doing a bit of tale chasing and leading the pack of cons. The car chases have a couple of fun episodes when they race onto a concrete roof and disappear for a minute.

Does it lag or is it too stupid a bit....but the sequel is worse by far... taken in context of 1969 it is decent; not the gem people talk about that is for sure but a good solid 7.

The mafia stuff was the stupidest part although I suppose it added tension and the ending is unique.

RECOMMEND
Classic Heist Movie that is Short on Characterization, Long on Car-Chases
l_rawjalaurence1 January 2014
THE Italian JOB is one of those movies that can stand repeated viewings. Its principal virtue is that it doesn't take itself at all seriously: we know that Charlie (Michael Caine) and his gang will probably not get away with the money, but it's worthwhile watching the way in which he completes the heist and then tries to get away through the streets of Turin and subsequently through the mountains. As the Mr. Big behind the whole operation, Noel Coward plays himself; by the late Sixties, he had acquired quasi-cult status, reveling in his reputation. This is precisely the kind of character he plays in the film. In historical terms, Peter Collinson's film is an advertisement for the Swinging Sixties, with Britain at the center of new movements in fashion and/or coolness. The iconic Minis - used by the gang to complete their escape - are frequently shown in close-up escaping from the more cumbersome Italian police vehicles. On the soundtrack, the famous theme celebrating "The Self Preservation Society" attests to the virtues of capitalism and individual effort. Anyone can achieve their dreams if they are prepared to work for them. At just over ninety minutes in length, THE Italian JOB has a helter-skelter plot that can be enjoyed for what it's worth.
The Italian Job (1969)
engpbwake9 December 2013
The question of why did they not make a sequel, keeps on coming up as discussions on talk radio stations up and down the land (UK). The 2003 version was meant to be for the American market, and in my opinion is not as good as the 1969 version, probably because parts of the 2003 movie were "copied" from the 1969 version, such as the Minis being chased by Italian police cars supplied by Fiat. My opinion is that they should have gone ahead and made a sequel to the 1969 movie, but producer Michael Deeley was unsatisfied with the four endings written and conceived the current ending as a (literal) cliffhanger appropriate to an action film which left an opportunity for a sequel.

One concepts of a sequel to the 1969 movie, would have shown how helicopters would have saved the bus seen on the cliff at the end of the first film.

The grateful gang would soon discover that it is the Mafia that has saved them, and the sequel would have been about stealing the gold bullion back from them.

In interviews in 2003 and 2008, Michael Caine revealed that the ending would have had Croker "crawl up, switch on the engine and stay there for four hours until all the diesel runs out... The (dormobile) van bounces back up so we can all get out, but then the gold goes over."

The bus containing the gold would crash at the bottom of the hill where the Mafia would pick it up. The sequel would then have Croker and his men trying to get it back.

The coach used in the 1969 movie was used on a school run in Scotland until the mid-1980s.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Crazy But Fun Caper Comedy.
AaronCapenBanner15 September 2013
Michael Caine plays Charlie Croker, fresh out of prison, and looking for work, when he learns that a friend of his, who was planning a heist job in Torino Italy, was instead killed by the mafia, so Charlie instead decides to take over the plan himself, using three mini-coopers, two Jaguars, and a bus, along with the help from various characters played by Noel Coward and Benny Hill, among others, to steal the same gold shipment from Italy, and make their escape, though it doesn't quite come off as planned...

Peter Collinson directs, and does an interesting job with the visual approach with this film, with the stylized atmosphere of the prison, to the massive car chase at the climax, and to the decidedly offbeat humor, which doesn't always work well, but again goes far because of Michael Caine's charm, and it's memorably kooky ending.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"We are the self preservation society"
bkoganbing8 May 2013
It's probably not a good idea to see a remake first, but in the case of The Italian Job I did see the Mark Wahlberg/Ed Norton/Donald Sutherland version first. That was an interesting enough film with the action on revenge. But this original with Michael Caine playing the ringleader of a daring bullion hijack has a sense of style all its own. And why wouldn't it with Noel Coward giving his farewell screen performance.

Caine is the ringleader of a team of crack hijackers who've been given a plan by the late Rossano Brazzi and it's Caine's job to flesh it out and make it all happen. He's given the plan by Brazzi's less than grieving widow Margaret Blye and he takes it to master criminal Noel Coward.

Watching Coward running things from his prison cell put me in mind of Goodfellas where the wise guys are all living the good life via bribes of guards, etc. He might be in jail, but no one is going crimp in any way Noel Coward's sense of refinement. Caine has to sell himself and the job to Coward.

But once he does the robbery goes off like clockwork. The caper itself is where this version and the Mark Wahlberg version are at the most similar. Who would have thought that Seth Green would be playing a role originated by Benny Hill as a computer mastermind. Of course computers have changed some in the over 30 years between the two films.

Only Ocean's 11 (the Sinatra version) has the same sense of irony in its conclusion as The Italian Job has. Talk about unresolved endings.......
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Little more than an ad for mini cooper
net343129 January 2013
This film embodies the worst of the sixties. It seems like Britain gets a pass when they make bad movies, and this highly rated crap is a classic example. I assumed that since Michael Caine and Noel Coward were in the movie that it would be tolerable. I was sadly disappointed. It's a waste of talent that can be compared to the junk churned out by Peter O'Toole and Peter Sellers in that same era. The plot is weak, the caper is boring, and the opportunities for acting limited. There's a lot of rushing around beautiful European vistas, and very little else. Very little comedy in fact. It's high spirited, like the 60's, but sadly lacking in value(like the 60's).
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Caine at his best
glenn-aylett1 December 2012
OK for the tiny minority who haven't seen this classic, it's a story about a group of London thieves who outwit the Mafia and steal £ 4 million in gold in Turin.

Right that's the spoiler over with. What we have is a comedy drama masterpiece from Michael Caine at the peak of his career, two years later he would go one better with Get Carter. Also essential to the film are Noel Coward as the camp gangster, Mr Bridger( all the world is bent, Freddie), who masterminds the robbery from his prison cell, and Benny Hill, also at the height of his career in 1969, as the eccentric Professor Peach, with a liking for women with big bottoms, who causes all the traffic lights to stop working in Turin when the robbery is carried out.

While there isn't a single bad moment in The Italian Job, particular stand out moments for me are the chase in Turin with the Mini Coopers, the appearing and disappearing Mafiosi on the banks of a mountain and the brilliant ending with the coach full of gold teetering on the edge of a mountain and Michael Caine's classic line, " I've got a great idea". Also the theme tune, " The Self Preservation Society", is a classic and is a familiar anthem at England football matches( actually an international in Turin is used as a sub plot).

One note of caution, avoid the 2003 remake, as like the remake of Get Carter it's an insult to the original.