IMDb > Frosty the Snowman (1969) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frosty the Snowman

Frosty the Snowman (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

While unfortunately not a stop-motion special, it's still very special!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
24 December 2008

When this debuted in 1969, I saw it...as well as practically every year since. While this Christmas special isn't stop-motion (like my favorite specials from Rankin-Bass Studios), it is a reasonably well animated and sweet show that is not only great for kids but has enough to it that adults won't mind watching as well. Part of this is due to the lovely narration and singing by Jimmy Durante. Sure, he didn't have a great voice, but somehow is rendition of "Frosty the Snowman" seems like the definitive version and has only been surpassed by the amazing version by Leon Redbone.

The film itself tries to bring to life the famous song originally sung by Gene Autry. Here you learn exactly why the snowman actually came to life as well as the interesting additions to the song--such as the magical intervention of Santa. Overall, a lovely film that's sure to please all but the most grouchy.

A truly timeless and terrific TV yuletide holiday special treat

25 June 2006

I've seen this truly timeless and terrific late 60's TV yuletide holiday special classic more times than I can count and it never fails to make me feel totally elated. Jolly, lovable snowman Frosty (exuberantly voiced with marvelously plummy gusto by Jackie Vernon) miraculously comes to life when a discarded magic silk top hat falls atop his head. But Frosty can't stick around for long or he'll melt due to the rising temperature. Meanwhile, evil, yet inept magician Professor Hinkle (voiced with winningly rascally snake oil élan by Billy De Wolfe) chases after Frosty in order to get his hat back. The wonderfully catchy and merry theme song, the engagingly folksy Christmas postcard-style animation, Jimmy Durante's delightful narration (Durante also heartily belts out the theme song), the endearing characters (I love Hocus-Pocus the rabbit!), and an irresistibly sweet-natured sensibility that's utterly bereft of any smug irony or sour cynicism make this lovely and radiant gem a complete joy to behold. Legendary voice actor Paul Frees lends his gloriously melodious golden pipes to the juicy supporting roles of both Santa Claus and a testy traffic cop. Essential annual seasonal viewing for kids of all ages, including crusty old adults like this humble reviewer.

A Fine Classic For Xmas Time!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
5 December 2001

[MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS]

Narrated terrifically by Jimmy Durante, the story opens at school where it's the last day and the teacher has hired a magician: Professor Hinkle (Billy DeWolfe), the worst magician in the world.

He throws his hat at the garbage can and misses, from inside a rabbit pops up and hops off with it. Soon all the kids go play outside in the snow. They build a snowman. They give him a corn cob pipe, a button nose, and two eyes made out of coal. The rabbit shows up with the hat and they put it on the snowman, which they had named Frosty. Other names for it would've been Christopher Columbus or Oatmeal. When the hat was placed on his head, he came to life! But Professor Hinkle snatched his hat back, so Frosty became inanimate again. The rabbit, Hocus Pocus, hopped with the hat back to the children and they put it back on Frosty's head and he came to life

again. Frosty (Jackie Vernon) could walk, speak, juggle, and count to at least five. He suddenly realizes the temprature is rising so he'll melt soon. The only place he'd never melt is the North Pole, so the children, lead by Karen, agree to get him there. They go into

town and have a run-in with a traffic cop, but he let's Frosty off

because he just came to life. When they can't afford a train ticket, they decide to stow aboard the train in a refrigerated box car. Frosty and Hocus get in, so does Karen. So they take off for the north, with Professor Hinkle right behind them. On the trip, Karen nearly freezes in the boxcar, so the three trek across the snow for a while. The woodland animals build a fire and Frosty and Karen have a run-in with Professor Hinkle again, but since Frosty was made out of snow, he's the fastest belly whopper in the world, so they zoom down a hill and walk into a poinsetia greenhouse and get trapped by Hinkle. Santa Claus comes to the rescue, but Frosty has already melted. But with a touch of Christmas snow, Frosty resurrects and Santa tells Hinkle that if he goes home and writes "I'm very sorry for what I did to Frosty" a hundred zillion times, there'll be something in his

stocking on Christmas. So in Santa's sleigh, they drop Karen at home, and then Frosty the Snowman had to hurry on his way, but he waved goodbye, saying "don't you cry", I'll be back someday! This and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer are my favorite Christmas specials. Sadly, Jimmy Durante, Billy DeWolfe, and Jackie Vernon have died. But they'll be remembered mostly for their talents in this movie.

a great one

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
16 October 1999

This one has always worked for me--where else can you find Jimmy Durante come Christmas time on Primetime TV nowadays? A special done with great heart, good work by Paul Frees, June Foray, and the great Billy De Wolfe. We always loved his 'Think Nasty! Think Nasty!' bit as kids. He was a funny man, a stand up comedian/magician combo.

All I can say is that Rankin Bass hit a homer with this one, and I am glad CBS keeps on trotting it out every December.

**** outta ****, this one works.

Another Christmas TV Tradition

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
3 November 2002

Like "A Charlie Brown Christmas" "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" this is one of those timeless holiday specials. In this one a magic hat brings a snowman to life. However the temperature is borderline freezing and that means that Frosty could melt. Not only that, but the owner of the magic hat, a slimy magician wants the hat back to get wealthy. Is the suspense killing you?

Is Your Christmas Complete without Viewing this?

Author: Christmas-Reviewer from United States
3 September 2016

CBS TELEVISION has broadcast Christmas Cartoon Specials now for over 50 years. "Rudolph" is of course the most popular but I am willing to bet that "Frosty" is a close 2nd. In fact "Frosty" has had 3 sequels. Now if you are not familiar with this cartoon then shame on you. This cartoon is such a part of Christmas that you now see Outdoor Christmas Decorations being sold at Home Depot that are images from this special.

Now this cartoon is of course based on the popular song. It is fast paced Christmas cartoon that has that little something special that only "The Rankin-Bass Productions" could deliver. Frosty of course is the snowman the kids were able to bring to life. However they realize that Frosty is on very limited time. In order to stay alive he needs to get to the North-pole. A little girl named Karen is doing everything she can to get him there.

My Christmas Time Viewing would not be complete without viewing this. I am sure I am not alone. If you have kids watch it with them. There is something so special about this cartoon that parents should want to watch this with their kids..

Excellent holiday special!

Author: Catherine_Grace_Zeh from Fairfax, Virginia, USA
9 November 2006

In my opinion, this is an excellent holiday special. However, I couldn't bear seeing Frosty (voice of Jackie Vernon) get all sweaty. In addition, the thing that really makes this special worth watching is the music, especially the title song. When that's performed, I always smile. I would have to say that's my favorite song of this special. Also, I have to admit it, but Professor Hinkle (voice of Billy De Wolfe) was one of my favorite characters. In conclusion, I highly recommend this excellent remake of a holiday classic to everyone, especially all you fans of the song who have not seen it. When you see it, prepare to smile and have a good time.

The Christmas Classic

Author: zkonedog from United States
11 March 2017

Christmas is a time of tradition, whether from food, family, or fellowship. It is also the season when Hollywood tries to create their own traditions with the numerous "holiday specials" that clog the airways throughout the month of December. "Frosty the Snowman" is the cream of the crop.

The story is simple: A magic hat brings "Frosty" the snowman to life, after which he must travel to the North Pole to prevent being melted. Meanwhile, an evil magician is trying to redeem the hat for his own nefarious purposes.

Since 1951, children and adults alike have enjoyed this half-hour special. Kids will be sucked in by the magic and music, while adults may just find even their eyes welling up a bit when Frosty is threatened near the end.

Along with Claymation Rudolph, this TV special should be required watching around the holiday season.

Frosty the Snowman

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
6 December 2016

The classic Christmas cartoon about the talking snowman with top hat and corn cob pipe who needs to find a cold place to live or else melt. With Jimmy Durante narrating, Jackie Vernon voicing jolly ole Frosty, Rocky & Bullwinkle's own June Foray as little Karen who follows Frosty as he decides to go to the North Pole, and the great Paul Frees as Santa Claus, this cast of wonderfully rich, memorable voices make it all so worthwhile. The hothouse scene where Frosty sacrifices himself for Karen after she becomes ill from the cold, turning into a puddle, is a real gulp in the throat. Billy De Wolfe voices the magician who follows after Frosty, looking to get his hat back, rounding out the cast. Short and sweet, this Rankin & Bass special is such a treat some/many might wish it could have been a bit longer. And it was always a pleasure to see Santa show up to save the day. This was a wonderful experience to share with my children as I once did with my mother.

Still Smiling

Author: Bonnie O'Connor from United States
24 November 2016

The Rankin Bass Christmas films have always been considered enduring classics, and this short is no exception. It's charming, enjoyable, nice to watch, but also very funny to watch. The story's basically about a snowman called Frosty who comes to life thanks to a magical hat, but he must go to the North Pole before he melts. Also he needs to keep away from an evil magician (who actually acknowledges that he's an evil magician) who wants Frosty's hat so he can be rich from its magic. The short's pretty goofy when you get down to it. The animation's weird, the kids don't sound at all like kids or even act like kids that much, the logic is non existent, and of course the villain has got to be the silliest part of the short. Not only does he outright acknowledge that he's an "evil magician", but he goes to extreme lengths to get the magical hat, without caring that he would be essentially killing a snowman and even a little girl at one point. I honestly think this short could have done without a villain. However, I think that the goofiness is part of the short's charm. How often do you see kids being unfazed with the fact that a snowman spontaneously coming to life, a snowman able to speak to a rabbit but not to other woodland creatures, the adults acting childish, or Santa threatening to never give the villain presents unless he writes "I am very sorry for what I did to Frosty" a hundred zillion times? It's just so funny. But all that aside, what else is good? Jimmy Durante singing the song in between the short is such a delight to hear as usual. It's always my favorite version of the song. And of course, Frosty himself is a lovable character and has an adorable personality, and the friendship between him and the little girl is believable and heartwarming. Personally, I think that even though it's a goofy short, I still love it. It truly is a Christmas treasure. It's fun to watch, the character of Frosty is lovable, and it just puts me in a good mood, not just for Christmas, but for any day.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]