IMDb > Frosty the Snowman (1969) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Fun for the kids

Author: rbverhoef (rbverhoef@hotmail.com) from The Hague, Netherlands
2 January 2004

'Frosty the Snowman', of course, doesn't make any sense, but it has the heart in the right place and it is perfect for children. Frosty (voice by Jackie Vernon) comes to life because a magic hat is put on his head. The hat belongs to professor Hinkle (voice by Billy De Wolfe) who wants it back. Because the temperature is rising Frosty has to go to the North Pole where he won't melt. Together with the little Karen (voice by June Foray) they go on the trip but Karen gets sick and professor Hinkle is still following them. Fortunately we have Santa Claus (voice by Paul Frees) to save the day.

Like I said this is perfect for children and I think adults can have a pretty good time with it too. There are some nice jokes. For Christmas this is a nice special.

Great for kids

Author: karlssonregister from United States
19 December 2005

Watching the holiday specials lately with my young kids, I can gage which shows really grab them. This one scores points by being quick (30 minutes for the toddler group with short attention spans)and a real tear jerker for a four year old. The storyline is easy to understand for young kids and shows the idea of Santa being a generous guy instead of just a present deliverer. I really like it for them. My favorite as an adult is Charlie Brown Christmas, which my kids also love, but I think this scored higher for them. I found that I still liked it too. It's in my top three. Is this the only Rankin holiday film that is not stop motion?

A very well done Christmas classic...

Author: SeptumSin from United States
23 December 2008

It's Christmas time and the kids are trying to get ready for their Christmas break when they notice that their snowman has come to life. With joy in their hearts they have to make sure that "Frosty" manages to get to a colder climate before he becomes nothing more than a puddle of water.

This is a true classic film utilizing the stars of the day. This is truly a film that can inspire children. Frosty the snowman is fairly simple and the voice acting is for par not really bad or really good. If there was a Christmas cartoon to show your kids this time of year this is probably my second favorite.

Frosty and Rudolph

Author: D (libra_2_k@yahoo.com) from United States
3 January 2007

There's no better Christmas show than Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I still watch both of them every year. It wouldn't be Christmas without these two shows. What makes them even more special is, I watch them with my grandchildren every year. We cook up a batch of cookies and sit down to watch these movies every single year. I've always told them I have watched these two movies since I was very little. I am now 49. I hope they get the enjoyment that I have over these years. I have also purchased these movies but do prefer to watch them when they come on TV. I use my purchased one for back up. LOL Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.

Rankin/Bass' Frosty the Snowman still charming after all these years

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
11 December 2006

I just saw Frosty the Snowman for the first time in several years since the late '80s and while I noticed some lapses on logic and continuity, it's still one of the most charming animated holiday specials ever from Rankin/Bass which for once used drawn, as opposed to doll, animation. In one of his last assignments, Jimmy Durante narrates and sings in his unique voice, charming us even in animated form. Billy DeWolfe is amusing as the villainous magician Professor Hinkle. And Jackie Vernon is perfect voicing Frosty who always says, "Happy Birthday!" when he comes to life. Also kudos to June Foray as the teacher and Paul Frees as both the traffic cop who swallows a whistle after talking to Frosty and as Santa Claus who makes Hinkle write "I am very sorry for what I did to Frosty" one zillion times before considering giving him presents again! How ironic that one year after Frosty, Frees would voice the villainous Burgermeister Meisterburger, Claus' enemy in Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. Both Claus here and Burgermeister even sound the same! Anyway, as the song goes, "Don't you cry, I'll be back again some day!" And we'll be waiting every time, Frosty!

While unfortunately not a stop-motion special, it's still very special!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
24 December 2008

When this debuted in 1969, I saw it...as well as practically every year since. While this Christmas special isn't stop-motion (like my favorite specials from Rankin-Bass Studios), it is a reasonably well animated and sweet show that is not only great for kids but has enough to it that adults won't mind watching as well. Part of this is due to the lovely narration and singing by Jimmy Durante. Sure, he didn't have a great voice, but somehow is rendition of "Frosty the Snowman" seems like the definitive version and has only been surpassed by the amazing version by Leon Redbone.

The film itself tries to bring to life the famous song originally sung by Gene Autry. Here you learn exactly why the snowman actually came to life as well as the interesting additions to the song--such as the magical intervention of Santa. Overall, a lovely film that's sure to please all but the most grouchy.

A truly timeless and terrific TV yuletide holiday special treat

25 June 2006

I've seen this truly timeless and terrific late 60's TV yuletide holiday special classic more times than I can count and it never fails to make me feel totally elated. Jolly, lovable snowman Frosty (exuberantly voiced with marvelously plummy gusto by Jackie Vernon) miraculously comes to life when a discarded magic silk top hat falls atop his head. But Frosty can't stick around for long or he'll melt due to the rising temperature. Meanwhile, evil, yet inept magician Professor Hinkle (voiced with winningly rascally snake oil élan by Billy De Wolfe) chases after Frosty in order to get his hat back. The wonderfully catchy and merry theme song, the engagingly folksy Christmas postcard-style animation, Jimmy Durante's delightful narration (Durante also heartily belts out the theme song), the endearing characters (I love Hocus-Pocus the rabbit!), and an irresistibly sweet-natured sensibility that's utterly bereft of any smug irony or sour cynicism make this lovely and radiant gem a complete joy to behold. Legendary voice actor Paul Frees lends his gloriously melodious golden pipes to the juicy supporting roles of both Santa Claus and a testy traffic cop. Essential annual seasonal viewing for kids of all ages, including crusty old adults like this humble reviewer.

A Fine Classic For Xmas Time!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
5 December 2001

[MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS]

Narrated terrifically by Jimmy Durante, the story opens at school where it's the last day and the teacher has hired a magician: Professor Hinkle (Billy DeWolfe), the worst magician in the world.

He throws his hat at the garbage can and misses, from inside a rabbit pops up and hops off with it. Soon all the kids go play outside in the snow. They build a snowman. They give him a corn cob pipe, a button nose, and two eyes made out of coal. The rabbit shows up with the hat and they put it on the snowman, which they had named Frosty. Other names for it would've been Christopher Columbus or Oatmeal. When the hat was placed on his head, he came to life! But Professor Hinkle snatched his hat back, so Frosty became inanimate again. The rabbit, Hocus Pocus, hopped with the hat back to the children and they put it back on Frosty's head and he came to life

again. Frosty (Jackie Vernon) could walk, speak, juggle, and count to at least five. He suddenly realizes the temprature is rising so he'll melt soon. The only place he'd never melt is the North Pole, so the children, lead by Karen, agree to get him there. They go into

town and have a run-in with a traffic cop, but he let's Frosty off

because he just came to life. When they can't afford a train ticket, they decide to stow aboard the train in a refrigerated box car. Frosty and Hocus get in, so does Karen. So they take off for the north, with Professor Hinkle right behind them. On the trip, Karen nearly freezes in the boxcar, so the three trek across the snow for a while. The woodland animals build a fire and Frosty and Karen have a run-in with Professor Hinkle again, but since Frosty was made out of snow, he's the fastest belly whopper in the world, so they zoom down a hill and walk into a poinsetia greenhouse and get trapped by Hinkle. Santa Claus comes to the rescue, but Frosty has already melted. But with a touch of Christmas snow, Frosty resurrects and Santa tells Hinkle that if he goes home and writes "I'm very sorry for what I did to Frosty" a hundred zillion times, there'll be something in his

stocking on Christmas. So in Santa's sleigh, they drop Karen at home, and then Frosty the Snowman had to hurry on his way, but he waved goodbye, saying "don't you cry", I'll be back someday! This and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer are my favorite Christmas specials. Sadly, Jimmy Durante, Billy DeWolfe, and Jackie Vernon have died. But they'll be remembered mostly for their talents in this movie.

a great one

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
16 October 1999

This one has always worked for me--where else can you find Jimmy Durante come Christmas time on Primetime TV nowadays? A special done with great heart, good work by Paul Frees, June Foray, and the great Billy De Wolfe. We always loved his 'Think Nasty! Think Nasty!' bit as kids. He was a funny man, a stand up comedian/magician combo.

All I can say is that Rankin Bass hit a homer with this one, and I am glad CBS keeps on trotting it out every December.

**** outta ****, this one works.

Another Christmas TV Tradition

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
3 November 2002

Like "A Charlie Brown Christmas" "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" this is one of those timeless holiday specials. In this one a magic hat brings a snowman to life. However the temperature is borderline freezing and that means that Frosty could melt. Not only that, but the owner of the magic hat, a slimy magician wants the hat back to get wealthy. Is the suspense killing you?

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]