IMDb > Frosty the Snowman (1969) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Formula Fun of Sorts

Author: cstotlar-1 from United States
25 December 2010

Let's see. If Frosty the Snowman gets together with Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer we end up with something like "Silent Night, Deadly Night" minus the murderous Santa. I would agree with the reader who found the melting episode traumatizing. When I was a kid I did too. Otherwise I would have recommended this film it to the three-and-under crowd. The problem we have every year around Christmas is the plethora of formula films that center on truly juvenile Christmas themes - Santa Claus, presents and more presents- and the unbelievably sappy films about characters feeling sorry for themselves or at least causing other people to feel sorry for themselves. I could actually throw in a third sub-genre, the saccharine religious movies ("Miracle on 34th Street" or worse even yet, "Bells of Saint Mary's") where miracles abound wherever you look. They are enough to set anyone up against films about organized religion around Christmas time. Cry for the the sentimentality or cry from sheer boredom.

Curtis Stotlar

An okay holiday tale even if it's a little magical.

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
18 December 2009

All of us can relate to building a snowman or playing in the snow growing up, as it just gets us more into the holiday spirit and brings that cold traditional Christmas cheer. And this classic watched many times "Frosty the Snowman" is a holiday tradition. The song "Frosty the Snowman" stands out in memory to all.

Anyway the tale involves around a town of kids who notice Frosty and he's a little different with his hat, pipe, and buttons of coal as a belly button he even talks it's like magic. Yet the pain is felt when Frosty melts yet this is a classic magical fairy tale as thru the magic of Christmas Frosty returns to life! Overall good holiday tale even if it's fairy tale and dominated by magic.

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
15 December 2012

Apparently this is a big classic in the US, frankly I think I'll stick with the Raymond Briggs 'snowman' classic. There's nothing really magical or all that memorable about Frosty the Snowman, it just feels like a generic cartoon with Pink Panther-style animation.

A classroom of kids is not entertained by a lame magician but his hat somehow makes a Snowman in the schoolyard come to life. Frosty, now alive and curious about the world, treks to the North Pole with one of the kids but doesn't quite make it until Santa comes to the rescue.

If this teaches kids about death then I guess the allegory gives it some weight, but once again the Raymond Briggs Snowman (a completely separate but similar cartoon) does it better.

Not smitten. Sorry kiddies, but there are better Xmas specials than this.

Frosty The Snowman

Author: Gunnar Friðrik Eðvarðsson from Iceland
3 November 2003

I remember in Iceland during the late 80´s when I was just 5 or 6 years old that that most of the cartoons had subtitled and were not dubbed at all. Mostly it were the french or European cartoons they dubbed but stayed away from the American ones. This I had on tape few years back but of course silly me taped it over. But I remember it and I really loved it. I hope I can see it again.

Good but has a Potentially Traumatizing Moment

Author: chconnol from New York, N.Y.
11 December 2003

I'm sorry but I really have to say that when I was a kid, the sight of Santa coming into the greenhouse to that Jimmy Durante voice saying " was too late" and there's Karen kneeling down weeping over a PUDDLE OF WATER THAT WAS FROSTY!!!! Good God, even now I find it traumatizing and I have no idea why no one else does. I'm exagerrating when I say traumatizing but it really upset me as a kid and I hated it. Otherwise, this is an OK Christmas show. A tad overrated.

illustrates uneven story logic

Author: buyjesus from the suburban northeast
23 December 2001

spoilers frosty the snowman is loaded with continuity errors. first of all,frosty has to escape from the rural east coast or he'll melt. fine. but once he gets high up into the snowy mountains of canada, he insists on continuing straight on, despite his human companion dying of hypothermia at his side. regardless of whether frosty's looking for a permanent solution or the ultimate icy fountain of youth, he's got a responsibility to that kid. he can find a temporary home in canada where the temperature won't rise above freezing until at least late february. Until then, him and the kid can chill and do whatever a magic snowman and a kid do for fun. Instead he keeps pushing and pushing towards the north pole and winds up getting trapped inside a greenhouse. I have no pity for him, it's his own fault. There may have been some magic and that old hat, but there sure wasn't a lot of logic. Despite all this, frosty is a classic Christmas tale to watch with an open mind. it's pretty much the best frosty we've got, unless you consider the michael keaton classic Jack Frost, but I'm not touching that one with a ten foot stick.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]