IMDb > Frosty the Snowman (1969) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

The Joy of Imagination

Author: Michael Sloane from Tempe, Arizona, United States of America
29 October 2014

Frosty the Snowman is a true Christmas classic. While my favorite Christmas special remains Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer,I have a special place in my heart for Frosty the Snowman and I watch it 2-3 times every December,including every Christmas Eve night. The beauty of Frosty the Snowman is that it's about imagination. How much fun is it to imagine building a snowman and having it come to life. And just around Christmas too! That's the real beauty of Frosty the Snowman. Another strong point of this show is Jimmy Durante's singing of the song Frosty the Snowman. I bought an mp3 version of Jimmy Durante's Frosty the Snowman from this show last November and it is definitely the best version of the song Frosty the Snowman that I've heard. I highly recommend this show as it is a true Christmas classic.

A True Christmas Classic

Author: gavin6942 from United States
24 December 2013

A living snowman (Jackie Vernon) and a little girl (June Foray) struggle to elude a greedy magician who is after the snowman's magic hat.

What does it say about a short Christmas cartoon made over forty years ago that it still gets watched regularly by children today? I mean, kids who saw it in 1969 may now be watching it with their grandkids. That is a pretty powerful cartoon, if you ask me.

Not that there is anything amazing about the story, the animation or much else... but just the way this has become so iconic. The song was a hit in 1950, but I suspect that this special is what really made it a timeless Christmas song.

(Worth noting: character designs were created by Paul Coker, who is perhaps better known as an artist for Mad Magazine!)

A decent Christmas animation from the late 1960s

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
20 December 2013

I watched this Christmas special in full for the first time today and while it's not the best one I have seen, it was a worthy treat with catchy music, the best parts being 'Frosty the Snowman' that is played in different parts throughout the special. The instrumental pieces are nostalgic with a hint of festive charm.

The animation is generally smooth if choppy and stiff in places (which is typical for certain types of non-Disney animation made in the 1960s) and the lip-sync seems to be off sometimes but the character designs are cute if some of them are odd-looking and the colours are vibrant. The story had its fair share of funny and touching moments, the former including Professor Hinkle's magic tricks at school going wrong and one of the boys suggesting Frosty be called Oatmeal and the latter including Karen crying over Frosty having melted inside the nursery but he is shortly brought back to life by a cold breeze from outside. In addition to the funny and touching moments, the story has some clever writing such as Professor Hinkle's magic hat becoming Frosty's hat and a valuable message about how humans and snowmen cope with different temperatures (Karen feeling very cold on the frozen train carriage while Frosty feels tip-top inside it for instance). One part of the script I felt didn't make sense was Frosty saying, "Happy birthday!" whenever he came to life unless he was wishing himself a happy birthday.

To conclude this isn't my absolute favourite animated Christmas special but it's a delightful watch nonetheless. 8/10.

A Very Special Kind of Snow

Author: utgard14 from USA
10 December 2013

The story is simple. Some kids create a snowman. A snowman needs a top hat, of course. So they find one and put it on his head, naming him Frosty. Turns out the hat belongs to a particularly nasty magician named Professor Hinkle, who wants his hat back. So the kids must get Frosty to the North Pole before he melts and must contend with Professor Hinkle along the way. Another great Christmas story that kids have grown up with for decades. Sweet, loving story as all Christmas tales should be. Great narration and singing by Jimmy Durante, with that distinctive voice of his. A timeless classic for children of all ages.

A fun little oldie Christmas special

Author: breakdownthatfilm-blogspot-com from United States
20 December 2012

As one of Jimmy Durante's last films, it's good to see some cheeriness. How often does one see a famous musical or even regular actor appearing in cartoons nowadays? Most of the time would be in parodies to make fun of them or someone else. But not in this fashion. So for this reason it's fun to watch because a show like this would not air on live television anymore.

This 22-minute clip tells us the brief story of how Frosty came to life and the friends he made along the way. Of course, since this is a Christmas special, Santa Claus will appear, no doubt about that. It's even funnier when you see various other individuals who cannot believe a snowman is walking down the street. Some of their reactions are too hilarious,...especially the traffic cop.

The dialog is good and so is the animation for its time. It could have been worse. However, some scenes are a little too cheesy. I understand that it's a cartoon but for this particular one, you'd think some of the characters would be a little smarter. Oh well, can't have everything.

This film is one of the TV specials that have withstood the test of time and are still going. If there's by any chance you can get your hands on it, take advantage of that chance.

For Kids of All Ages

Author: Writer_Commentary from United States
15 December 2012

I'm an adult and I still like to watch this special every Christmas. I can't think of a better way they could have turned a song into a special and it sure is a good way to spend your time watching over the Christmas holiday. I don't know anyway who wouldn't like this and would recommend this to anyone and everyone. A girl and her snowman come to life make such a great story. While normally a subject such as that would be corny, the people who made this could not have done a better job. A true classic that I wish there were more of nowadays. You surely don't see this type of animation style anymore and that's a shame. I would suggest you make this a habit to watch every time it's Christmas.

Wonderful little television special

Author: athomed from United States
24 December 2011

At only 22 minutes long, watching Frosty the Snowman isn't much of a commitment. These 22 minutes fly right by as we're introduced to the characters such as Professor Hinkle, Hocus Pocus and of course, Frosty the Snowman.

The animation is still sharp. You could imagine Cartoon Network releasing something like this today. The real bright spot in this movie is the music. A lot of the songs, especially the title song, are performed well and very catchy.

This special has a lot of heart. I always look for that in programming for children. The kind that enforces friendship and good morals.

I hadn't watched Frosty the Snowman for years and was surprised at how vividly I remembered the characters and the plot. It was a joy.

That goes for first-time viewers and those rediscovering this classic as well.

Frosty the Snowman (1969)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
14 December 2011

Basically an extended version of the song, Frosty the Snowman probably holds more cheer for American audiences. In England we have The Snowman, a much subtler and sadder story, but very similar. Here we have some kids looking to have fun with Frosty while a magician tries to reclaim his magic hat. I couldn't completely enjoy this as, to me, it was rightfully the magician's hat in the first place. The song is always great, and I liked most of the voice work. At under half an hour, it's a great, quick dose of Christmas. The animation has its 60's charm and you can tell a lot of hard work must have gone into it. The vocal work is good too, but I found myself waiting for those recognizable chords.

An okay holiday tale even if it's a little magical.

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
18 December 2009

All of us can relate to building a snowman or playing in the snow growing up, as it just gets us more into the holiday spirit and brings that cold traditional Christmas cheer. And this classic watched many times "Frosty the Snowman" is a holiday tradition. The song "Frosty the Snowman" stands out in memory to all.

Anyway the tale involves around a town of kids who notice Frosty and he's a little different with his hat, pipe, and buttons of coal as a belly button he even talks it's like magic. Yet the pain is felt when Frosty melts yet this is a classic magical fairy tale as thru the magic of Christmas Frosty returns to life! Overall good holiday tale even if it's fairy tale and dominated by magic.

Overrated

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
15 December 2012

Apparently this is a big classic in the US, frankly I think I'll stick with the Raymond Briggs 'snowman' classic. There's nothing really magical or all that memorable about Frosty the Snowman, it just feels like a generic cartoon with Pink Panther-style animation.

A classroom of kids is not entertained by a lame magician but his hat somehow makes a Snowman in the schoolyard come to life. Frosty, now alive and curious about the world, treks to the North Pole with one of the kids but doesn't quite make it until Santa comes to the rescue.

If this teaches kids about death then I guess the allegory gives it some weight, but once again the Raymond Briggs Snowman (a completely separate but similar cartoon) does it better.

Not smitten. Sorry kiddies, but there are better Xmas specials than this.

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]