IMDb > Frosty the Snowman (1969) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frosty the Snowman

Frosty the Snowman (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Happy Birthday! This Old School Cartoon was kinda cool. Frosty the Snowman was indeed a jolly happy soul, worth visiting!

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
28 December 2015

I just wish, this 1970's American animated Christmas family television special based on the popular song written by Walter "Jack" Rollins and Steve Nelson, of the same name, was a little more refreshing. Not only, is the animation by Mushi Production a bit dated in this movie, but it was also a little choppy and stiff in places than mostly smooth. It get even more jarring when you notice that the lip-syncing and the voice acting is a bit off. Characters throughout the film are always saying things, when their mouths isn't moving. You see these mistakes, mostly toward the middle and end of the film. Some good examples of this, are the train & greenhouse scenes. While, there is some errors in the animation; for the most part, this animation film is a lot better than the earlier clay motion Rankin'/Bass Christmas specials, in particular 1964's Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I just don't see much, children these days, watching this 40 year old, movie. One thing, that Frosty the Snowman does have, going for it, is its pacing. For a 25 minutes film, it told their story very well. However, the story isn't nothing special. It's pretty clear and cut. Not much, going on, besides Frosty the Snowman (Voiced by Jackie Vernon) trying to make it to the North Pole, before he melt. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, the simplicity of the plot. I just wish, the movie was a little more memorable with it. After all, the story deux ex machina toward the end of the film, seem to come out of nowhere and the whole Santa Claus subplot seem a bit forced. Still the movie does had its fair share of funny and touching moments. Without spoiling it, I do like, the third act emotional tear-jerking moment. It was very touching. The enchanting story is also very heart-tugging, because of the narrative voice over by actor Jimmy Durante in his final performance. He's by far, one of the best narrator, Rankin'/Bass ever hired. Jackie Vernon as the titular character was also great. While, I didn't like his dumbfounded nature, in the beginning of the film; I just glad, the movie didn't follow up with it, toward the end of the film. This move allows Jackie Vernon to channel more of his heart-warming & emotional lovely side. Watch it, and you will see it, with his voice. The film also works, because of the voice acting from Billy De Wolfe. His work as the villain Professor Hinkle was wonderfully. The sub-plot of him, trying to get back, his magic hat was pretty interesting. He was a treat. Even the voice acting by veteran, voice actor, June Foray was also a bit magically. I really thought, Little Karen was voiced by a child actor. It was very surprising, for me, to find out, later, that she was voiced by then a, 53 year old woman, June Foray. However, in later airings after 1970, June Foray's voice was replaced by an unknown actress. At the time, rumors implied a controversy over copyrights and/or royalties as the reason behind the change, but the reason remains unknown. Still, Foray's voice is still heard as her singing voice, as well as other minor roles, in later releases, but it was a bit jarring to hear, two different voices for Little Karen in certain version. It also weird to see that audio quality of the replacement voice is better than that of the other sounds. The current restored version, which debuted in 2005, does not restore Foray's voice, but it does match better with the other voices filmed in 1969. The original soundtrack with Foray's original voice track is available on CD and a must-find, because how rare, it is. Despite, the trouble of Little Karen's voice actor, I still enjoy the special. There is still some magic in this film; to the point, that TV Guide recently ranked the special number 4 on its 10 Best Family Holiday Specials list. One thing, I can't recommend is, the Frosty the Snowman's sequels. 1976's Frosty's Winter Wonderland, 1979's Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July, 1992's Frosty Returns & 2005's The Legend of Frosty the Snowman were below standards. Overall: The original Frosty the Snowman film is a must-watch for anybody, looking for a film to watch with their family. So this Christmas season, chill with "Frosty" than anything else!

An Enjoyable Christmas Special

Author: moviemattb from United States
18 December 2014

Like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," this review won't be long so its pretty much going to be a short review. "Frosty the Snowman" is about a snowman that is brought to life by a magical hat, which it happens to be own by a very poor magician; so Frosty can talk, dance, etc. However, things don't go well as the weather's temperature rises up to be hot for Frosty. So, now, Frosty must make his to get to the North Pole where its colder or else he will melt. The animation itself is presented in traditional animation instead being in stop-motion like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer;" with that said, I thought the animation in this special is actually really good. The songs are also great, while the acting is alright but there could be some that are a bit wooden for my taste, but I digress. So that is how short that I am about say. "Frosty the Snowman" is an enjoyable Christmas special, but I love "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" more since they are both made by Rankin and Bass. I give it a 9 out of 10.

wild crazy children's adventure

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 November 2014

It's the day before Christmas. Professor Hinkle is one of worst magicians ever. He comes to school to do a show for the kids. The kids rather go out and build a snowman calling it Frosty. The rabbit in Hinkle's hat Hocus Pocus runs away and the hat lands on Frosty bringing him to life. Hinkle takes his hat back. Hocus Pocus gives the hat back to the children. Frosty comes back alive but he starts to melt. Little Karen, Frosty and Hocus Pocus sneak on a train to the North Pole. Hinkle stowaways as well to try and take the hat back. Then they enlist the help of Santa Claus.

Let's face it. There are lots of crazy stuff going on. I don't know that finders keepers with the magic hat is a great message for the kids. Then there is the little girl that almost froze to death. I doubt this movie is about any message other than just a simple insane children's adventure. There's also the great song and Jimmy Durante's narration. That stuff is just iconic.

The Joy of Imagination

Author: Michael Sloane from Tempe, Arizona, United States of America
29 October 2014

Frosty the Snowman is a true Christmas classic. While my favorite Christmas special remains Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer,I have a special place in my heart for Frosty the Snowman and I watch it 2-3 times every December,including every Christmas Eve night. The beauty of Frosty the Snowman is that it's about imagination. How much fun is it to imagine building a snowman and having it come to life. And just around Christmas too! That's the real beauty of Frosty the Snowman. Another strong point of this show is Jimmy Durante's singing of the song Frosty the Snowman. I bought an mp3 version of Jimmy Durante's Frosty the Snowman from this show last November and it is definitely the best version of the song Frosty the Snowman that I've heard. I highly recommend this show as it is a true Christmas classic.

A True Christmas Classic

Author: gavin6942 from United States
24 December 2013

A living snowman (Jackie Vernon) and a little girl (June Foray) struggle to elude a greedy magician who is after the snowman's magic hat.

What does it say about a short Christmas cartoon made over forty years ago that it still gets watched regularly by children today? I mean, kids who saw it in 1969 may now be watching it with their grandkids. That is a pretty powerful cartoon, if you ask me.

Not that there is anything amazing about the story, the animation or much else... but just the way this has become so iconic. The song was a hit in 1950, but I suspect that this special is what really made it a timeless Christmas song.

(Worth noting: character designs were created by Paul Coker, who is perhaps better known as an artist for Mad Magazine!)

A decent Christmas animation from the late 1960s

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
20 December 2013

I watched this Christmas special in full for the first time today and while it's not the best one I have seen, it was a worthy treat with catchy music, the best parts being 'Frosty the Snowman' that is played in different parts throughout the special. The instrumental pieces are nostalgic with a hint of festive charm.

The animation is generally smooth if choppy and stiff in places (which is typical for certain types of non-Disney animation made in the 1960s) and the lip-sync seems to be off sometimes but the character designs are cute if some of them are odd-looking and the colours are vibrant. The story had its fair share of funny and touching moments, the former including Professor Hinkle's magic tricks at school going wrong and one of the boys suggesting Frosty be called Oatmeal and the latter including Karen crying over Frosty having melted inside the nursery but he is shortly brought back to life by a cold breeze from outside. In addition to the funny and touching moments, the story has some clever writing such as Professor Hinkle's magic hat becoming Frosty's hat and a valuable message about how humans and snowmen cope with different temperatures (Karen feeling very cold on the frozen train carriage while Frosty feels tip-top inside it for instance). One part of the script I felt didn't make sense was Frosty saying, "Happy birthday!" whenever he came to life unless he was wishing himself a happy birthday.

To conclude this isn't my absolute favourite animated Christmas special but it's a delightful watch nonetheless. 8/10.

A Very Special Kind of Snow

Author: utgard14 from USA
10 December 2013

The story is simple. Some kids create a snowman. A snowman needs a top hat, of course. So they find one and put it on his head, naming him Frosty. Turns out the hat belongs to a particularly nasty magician named Professor Hinkle, who wants his hat back. So the kids must get Frosty to the North Pole before he melts and must contend with Professor Hinkle along the way. Another great Christmas story that kids have grown up with for decades. Sweet, loving story as all Christmas tales should be. Great narration and singing by Jimmy Durante, with that distinctive voice of his. A timeless classic for children of all ages.

Watch this one when days get shorter

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
12 September 2013

I think this short film works best, when watched maybe in early December or late November, not necessarily right before Christmas. Sure, it has Santa in it, but the main character is frosty and it makes you look forward to when there's actually snow outside, so you can build your own Frosty the Snowman. The antagonist is perfect for a kids movie like this one. he's not really evil, more clumsy than anything, so it's a good watch also for smaller children even if they still believe in the existence of Santa (oh I'm sorry, biggest spoiler ever!). They'll also love the furry white rabbit. The adults will enjoy the voice-work from Jimmy Durante, the man who gave us a wonderful version of the old classic song I'll Be Seeing You.

The plot is about a little girl trying to get a snowman magically put to life to the North Pole, so he won't melt once temperature rises. It's a journey with many obstacles, but thanks for the help of a fat bearded man in red dress, they finally succeed. The animation is neither particularly great, nor bad for 1969, it's kinda appropriate, as everything else in this harmless little fun movie.

A fun little oldie Christmas special

Author: breakdownthatfilm-blogspot-com from United States
20 December 2012

As one of Jimmy Durante's last films, it's good to see some cheeriness. How often does one see a famous musical or even regular actor appearing in cartoons nowadays? Most of the time would be in parodies to make fun of them or someone else. But not in this fashion. So for this reason it's fun to watch because a show like this would not air on live television anymore.

This 22-minute clip tells us the brief story of how Frosty came to life and the friends he made along the way. Of course, since this is a Christmas special, Santa Claus will appear, no doubt about that. It's even funnier when you see various other individuals who cannot believe a snowman is walking down the street. Some of their reactions are too hilarious,...especially the traffic cop.

The dialog is good and so is the animation for its time. It could have been worse. However, some scenes are a little too cheesy. I understand that it's a cartoon but for this particular one, you'd think some of the characters would be a little smarter. Oh well, can't have everything.

This film is one of the TV specials that have withstood the test of time and are still going. If there's by any chance you can get your hands on it, take advantage of that chance.

For Kids of All Ages

Author: Writer_Commentary from United States
15 December 2012

I'm an adult and I still like to watch this special every Christmas. I can't think of a better way they could have turned a song into a special and it sure is a good way to spend your time watching over the Christmas holiday. I don't know anyway who wouldn't like this and would recommend this to anyone and everyone. A girl and her snowman come to life make such a great story. While normally a subject such as that would be corny, the people who made this could not have done a better job. A true classic that I wish there were more of nowadays. You surely don't see this type of animation style anymore and that's a shame. I would suggest you make this a habit to watch every time it's Christmas.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]