IMDb > Frosty the Snowman (1969) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frosty the Snowman

Frosty the Snowman (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not as well developed as Rudolph, but it is okay for kids.

Author: Aaron1375
28 November 2011

This is one of those cartoons that I used to watch every year as a child during X-mas time. It was a staple, just like the Charlie Brown X-mas special and Rudolph. The animation is on par with Charlie, not as good as Rudolph and the story is not as good as Rudolph either. There really is not all that much to it. Basically, they stick with the song and do not add a whole lot like Rudolph did, of course they do not have Santa in this one acting a bit gruff. This one has a horrible magician trying to perform for the kiddies and doing a bad job. He tosses his hat and the kids use it to put on the head of their snowman who comes to life saying 'happy birthday' every time he comes to life again. I do not know why he does this, as usually one does not wish themselves a happy birthday, but whatever, it is just a kid's movie. Well Frosty has to get to the North Pole otherwise he is going to melt so he and a girl make their way to said region while the magician follows wanting his hat back because it does obviously contain some magic within it. That is about the gist of it, not many characters, not really all that much depth and it is best not to delve into the guy who did Frosty's voice career to much or one is going to be shocked to find a movie that one would most certainly not associate with X-mas and family fare. Okay for what it was, but not as good as other specials of the day.

Schnozzola's and Rocky the Squirrel's voices: perfect.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
21 December 2006

In one sense, "Frosty the Snowman" sort of looks like something that can only appeal to kids. But, I guess that it does have a certain charm to itself. Now that I'm old enough to understand, I find it quite neat that Jimmy Durante narrated and June Foray - aka Rocky the Squirrel - provided voices. I wonder if Prof. Hinkle's name was an allusion to the dictator in Charlie Chaplin's "The Great Dictator"; after all, he was equally dastardly.

So, it's something cool (pun intended) to remember. Of course, I always like to contrast Frosty with the snow goons in "Calvin and Hobbes". Worth seeing.

One of the Best!

Author: cooks76082 from United States
17 December 2006

Rankin/Bass are at their best with this holiday favorite. This isn't the politically correct version that you see every year on TV. The cast of voice-over actors and actresses is top-notched with the likes of June Foray, Jackie Vernon and Billy DeWolfe, but who could ever forget the great Jimmy Durante as the Narrator along with his vocals on "Frosty the Snowman". Our kids love it as much as we did when we were their ages. Get out there and buy it now! You can't go wrong. I recommend if you can buy it, make sure it was packaged and designed in 1993. The one's that are "digitally" remastered are the edited versions of this all time classic!

Yet another timeless classic from Rankin'/Bass

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
21 December 2009

I just want to start this review by saying that I love all the Rankin'/Bass Christmas specials in their own right, in particular Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Frosty the Snowman is no exception, it is yet another timeless Christmas classic that gets better and better each viewing. I seriously don't mind whether the plot, about a little girl and the snowman Frosty trying to stop an greedy magician from stealing Frosty's magic hat, is a tad predictable, because it never takes away any of the charm that is had in this gem.

The animation is stunning; the backgrounds are very detailed and the characters are well drawn. And the music is lovely and definitely memorable, the title song Frosty the Snowman is one of the irresistibly catchy Christmas songs of all time, and never fails to bring a smile to my face. The characters are great, Frosty is a wonderful title character, Karen is very sweet and likable and the magician Professor Hinkle is loathsome certainly. I have to say though the voice work is outstanding, with Jimmy Durante perfect as the narrator and Jackie Vernon simply wonderful as Frosty. I admit it, I felt my eyes welling up when Frosty melted.

All in all, a timeless classic. My advice to you, just sit back and chill out with that lovable Frosty. That way you are in for a good time. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Frosty the Snowman

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
6 December 2016

The classic Christmas cartoon about the talking snowman with top hat and corn cob pipe who needs to find a cold place to live or else melt. With Jimmy Durante narrating, Jackie Vernon voicing jolly ole Frosty, Rocky & Bullwinkle's own June Foray as little Karen who follows Frosty as he decides to go to the North Pole, and the great Paul Frees as Santa Claus, this cast of wonderfully rich, memorable voices make it all so worthwhile. The hothouse scene where Frosty sacrifices himself for Karen after she becomes ill from the cold, turning into a puddle, is a real gulp in the throat. Billy De Wolfe voices the magician who follows after Frosty, looking to get his hat back, rounding out the cast. Short and sweet, this Rankin & Bass special is such a treat some/many might wish it could have been a bit longer. And it was always a pleasure to see Santa show up to save the day. This was a wonderful experience to share with my children as I once did with my mother.

Still Smiling

Author: bonniejoy-978-68763 from United States
24 November 2016

The Rankin Bass Christmas films have always been considered enduring classics, and this short is no exception. It's charming, enjoyable, nice to watch, but also very funny to watch. The story's basically about a snowman called Frosty who comes to life thanks to a magical hat, but he must go to the North Pole before he melts. Also he needs to keep away from an evil magician (who actually acknowledges that he's an evil magician) who wants Frosty's hat so he can be rich from its magic. The short's pretty goofy when you get down to it. The animation's weird, the kids don't sound at all like kids or even act like kids that much, the logic is non existent, and of course the villain has got to be the silliest part of the short. Not only does he outright acknowledge that he's an "evil magician", but he goes to extreme lengths to get the magical hat, without caring that he would be essentially killing a snowman and even a little girl at one point. I honestly think this short could have done without a villain. However, I think that the goofiness is part of the short's charm. How often do you see kids being unfazed with the fact that a snowman spontaneously coming to life, a snowman able to speak to a rabbit but not to other woodland creatures, the adults acting childish, or Santa threatening to never give the villain presents unless he writes "I am very sorry for what I did to Frosty" a hundred zillion times? It's just so funny. But all that aside, what else is good? Jimmy Durante singing the song in between the short is such a delight to hear as usual. It's always my favorite version of the song. And of course, Frosty himself is a lovable character and has an adorable personality, and the friendship between him and the little girl is believable and heartwarming. Personally, I think that even though it's a goofy short, I still love it. It truly is a Christmas treasure. It's fun to watch, the character of Frosty is lovable, and it just puts me in a good mood, not just for Christmas, but for any day.

A Very Cute Classic

Author: Peppermint Twisted from United States
23 November 2016

I have very fond memories of watching this as a kid - I just recently re-watched it all these years later and yes it's still cute to me. This is a wonderful Christmas classic for entire family especially for the kids.

You can't take a story or film like this seriously - it's all in good clean fun. It's a film you simply just kick back to enjoy if an adult while recapturing the past and entertaining your inner child. When you are a little kid the film is magical, something to get excited about.

This movie is not a claymation but it is a great animation. The film still holds a special place in my heart.

Is Your Christmas Complete without Viewing this?

Author: ChristmasDreamin73 from United States
3 September 2016

CBS TELEVISION has broadcast Christmas Cartoon Specials now for over 50 years. "Rudolph" is of course the most popular but I am willing to bet that "Frosty" is a close 2nd. In fact "Frosty" has had 3 sequels. Now if you are not familiar with this cartoon then shame on you. This cartoon is such a part of Christmas that you now see Outdoor Christmas Decorations being sold at Home Depot that are images from this special.

Now this cartoon is of course based on the popular song. It is fast paced Christmas cartoon that has that little something special that only "The Rankin-Bass Productions" could deliver. Frosty of course is the snowman the kids were able to bring to life. However they realize that Frosty is on very limited time. In order to stay alive he needs to get to the North-pole. A little girl named Karen is doing everything she can to get him there.

My Christmas Time Viewing would not be complete without viewing this. I am sure I am not alone. If you have kids watch it with them. There is something so special about this cartoon that parents should want to watch this with their kids..

Happy Birthday! This Old School Cartoon was kinda cool. Frosty the Snowman was indeed a jolly happy soul, worth visiting!

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
28 December 2015

I just wish, this 1970's American animated Christmas family television special based on the popular song written by Walter "Jack" Rollins and Steve Nelson, of the same name, was a little more refreshing. Not only, is the animation by Mushi Production a bit dated in this movie, but it was also a little choppy and stiff in places than mostly smooth. It get even more jarring when you notice that the lip-syncing and the voice acting is a bit off. Characters throughout the film are always saying things, when their mouths isn't moving. You see these mistakes, mostly toward the middle and end of the film. Some good examples of this, are the train & greenhouse scenes. While, there is some errors in the animation; for the most part, this animation film is a lot better than the earlier clay motion Rankin'/Bass Christmas specials, in particular 1964's Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I just don't see much, children these days, watching this 40 year old, movie. One thing, that Frosty the Snowman does have, going for it, is its pacing. For a 25 minutes film, it told their story very well. However, the story isn't nothing special. It's pretty clear and cut. Not much, going on, besides Frosty the Snowman (Voiced by Jackie Vernon) trying to make it to the North Pole, before he melt. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, the simplicity of the plot. I just wish, the movie was a little more memorable with it. After all, the story deux ex machina toward the end of the film, seem to come out of nowhere and the whole Santa Claus subplot seem a bit forced. Still the movie does had its fair share of funny and touching moments. Without spoiling it, I do like, the third act emotional tear-jerking moment. It was very touching. The enchanting story is also very heart-tugging, because of the narrative voice over by actor Jimmy Durante in his final performance. He's by far, one of the best narrator, Rankin'/Bass ever hired. Jackie Vernon as the titular character was also great. While, I didn't like his dumbfounded nature, in the beginning of the film; I just glad, the movie didn't follow up with it, toward the end of the film. This move allows Jackie Vernon to channel more of his heart-warming & emotional lovely side. Watch it, and you will see it, with his voice. The film also works, because of the voice acting from Billy De Wolfe. His work as the villain Professor Hinkle was wonderfully. The sub-plot of him, trying to get back, his magic hat was pretty interesting. He was a treat. Even the voice acting by veteran, voice actor, June Foray was also a bit magically. I really thought, Little Karen was voiced by a child actor. It was very surprising, for me, to find out, later, that she was voiced by then a, 53 year old woman, June Foray. However, in later airings after 1970, June Foray's voice was replaced by an unknown actress. At the time, rumors implied a controversy over copyrights and/or royalties as the reason behind the change, but the reason remains unknown. Still, Foray's voice is still heard as her singing voice, as well as other minor roles, in later releases, but it was a bit jarring to hear, two different voices for Little Karen in certain version. It also weird to see that audio quality of the replacement voice is better than that of the other sounds. The current restored version, which debuted in 2005, does not restore Foray's voice, but it does match better with the other voices filmed in 1969. The original soundtrack with Foray's original voice track is available on CD and a must-find, because how rare, it is. Despite, the trouble of Little Karen's voice actor, I still enjoy the special. There is still some magic in this film; to the point, that TV Guide recently ranked the special number 4 on its 10 Best Family Holiday Specials list. One thing, I can't recommend is, the Frosty the Snowman's sequels. 1976's Frosty's Winter Wonderland, 1979's Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July, 1992's Frosty Returns & 2005's The Legend of Frosty the Snowman were below standards. Overall: The original Frosty the Snowman film is a must-watch for anybody, looking for a film to watch with their family. So this Christmas season, chill with "Frosty" than anything else!

An Enjoyable Christmas Special

Author: moviemattb from United States
18 December 2014

Like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," this review won't be long so its pretty much going to be a short review. "Frosty the Snowman" is about a snowman that is brought to life by a magical hat, which it happens to be own by a very poor magician; so Frosty can talk, dance, etc. However, things don't go well as the weather's temperature rises up to be hot for Frosty. So, now, Frosty must make his to get to the North Pole where its colder or else he will melt. The animation itself is presented in traditional animation instead being in stop-motion like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer;" with that said, I thought the animation in this special is actually really good. The songs are also great, while the acting is alright but there could be some that are a bit wooden for my taste, but I digress. So that is how short that I am about say. "Frosty the Snowman" is an enjoyable Christmas special, but I love "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" more since they are both made by Rankin and Bass. I give it a 9 out of 10.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]