Frosty the Snowman (TV Short 1969) Poster

(1969 TV Short)

He's cool....
Mister-631 August 1999
Who didn't grow up watching Frosty tell the world "Happy Birthday"?

"Frosty the Snowman" is a pure delight and an annual tradition at our house (even before we had children). Christmas just isn't Christmas until we see "Frosty" on TV.

Besides, here's a story that reinforces a child's love of Christmas time and the wonder of the first snowfall. Not to mention the power of friendship, kindness and good old Santa Claus.

Ten stars. This Christmas, chill with "Frosty"!
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Jolly, Happy Soul of a Holiday Favorite
hfan7718 December 2005
Frosty the Snowman is one of my all-time favorite holiday specials along with Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer. I look forward to watching it each year (without commercials since I own the home video on VHS) and enjoy the scene where Frosty comes to life with his first words "Happy Birthday!" Unfortunately, the thermometer becomes red and Frosty, concerned about melting, embarks with Karen and Hocus the rabbit to the North Pole.

It was sad when evil magician Professor Hinkle locked Frosty and Karen in the greenhouse, Frosty melted and Karen broke down crying. However, Santa saved the day when Frosty came back to life.

The voicework by Jimmy Durante, Billy DeWolfe and Jackie Vernon is outstanding. Although all three are gone, their memories live on in this jolly, happy holiday classic.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic Xmas
kirk c21 October 2005
I grew up with frosty i would look forward to watching this one every year even now. i think it really captures what Xmas is all about. Lol has a kid frosty meant more to me then Santa did so thats the type of effect this show had on me back then.

Its funny how even after all these years it doesn't really show its age other then the lack of computers in the classroom. I want to know what other cartoon can make you cry over snow.

There's also a Frosty Returns but it lacks in so many areas that its not even worth watching my opinion though i now others love it just has much has This one.

To sum it all up frosty is one of the all time Xmas shows to date
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very well done Christmas classic...
SeptumSin23 December 2008
It's Christmas time and the kids are trying to get ready for their Christmas break when they notice that their snowman has come to life. With joy in their hearts they have to make sure that "Frosty" manages to get to a colder climate before he becomes nothing more than a puddle of water.

This is a true classic film utilizing the stars of the day. This is truly a film that can inspire children. Frosty the snowman is fairly simple and the voice acting is for par not really bad or really good. If there was a Christmas cartoon to show your kids this time of year this is probably my second favorite.
Frosty and Rudolph
D3 January 2007
There's no better Christmas show than Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I still watch both of them every year. It wouldn't be Christmas without these two shows. What makes them even more special is, I watch them with my grandchildren every year. We cook up a batch of cookies and sit down to watch these movies every single year. I've always told them I have watched these two movies since I was very little. I am now 49. I hope they get the enjoyment that I have over these years. I have also purchased these movies but do prefer to watch them when they come on TV. I use my purchased one for back up. LOL Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.
Rankin/Bass' Frosty the Snowman still charming after all these years
tavm11 December 2006
I just saw Frosty the Snowman for the first time in several years since the late '80s and while I noticed some lapses on logic and continuity, it's still one of the most charming animated holiday specials ever from Rankin/Bass which for once used drawn, as opposed to doll, animation. In one of his last assignments, Jimmy Durante narrates and sings in his unique voice, charming us even in animated form. Billy DeWolfe is amusing as the villainous magician Professor Hinkle. And Jackie Vernon is perfect voicing Frosty who always says, "Happy Birthday!" when he comes to life. Also kudos to June Foray as the teacher and Paul Frees as both the traffic cop who swallows a whistle after talking to Frosty and as Santa Claus who makes Hinkle write "I am very sorry for what I did to Frosty" one zillion times before considering giving him presents again! How ironic that one year after Frosty, Frees would voice the villainous Burgermeister Meisterburger, Claus' enemy in Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. Both Claus here and Burgermeister even sound the same! Anyway, as the song goes, "Don't you cry, I'll be back again some day!" And we'll be waiting every time, Frosty!
Fun for the kids
rbverhoef2 January 2004
'Frosty the Snowman', of course, doesn't make any sense, but it has the heart in the right place and it is perfect for children. Frosty (voice by Jackie Vernon) comes to life because a magic hat is put on his head. The hat belongs to professor Hinkle (voice by Billy De Wolfe) who wants it back. Because the temperature is rising Frosty has to go to the North Pole where he won't melt. Together with the little Karen (voice by June Foray) they go on the trip but Karen gets sick and professor Hinkle is still following them. Fortunately we have Santa Claus (voice by Paul Frees) to save the day.

Like I said this is perfect for children and I think adults can have a pretty good time with it too. There are some nice jokes. For Christmas this is a nice special.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great for kids
karlssonregister19 December 2005
Watching the holiday specials lately with my young kids, I can gage which shows really grab them. This one scores points by being quick (30 minutes for the toddler group with short attention spans)and a real tear jerker for a four year old. The storyline is easy to understand for young kids and shows the idea of Santa being a generous guy instead of just a present deliverer. I really like it for them. My favorite as an adult is Charlie Brown Christmas, which my kids also love, but I think this scored higher for them. I found that I still liked it too. It's in my top three. Is this the only Rankin holiday film that is not stop motion?
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
While unfortunately not a stop-motion special, it's still very special!
MartinHafer24 December 2008
When this debuted in 1969, I saw well as practically every year since. While this Christmas special isn't stop-motion (like my favorite specials from Rankin-Bass Studios), it is a reasonably well animated and sweet show that is not only great for kids but has enough to it that adults won't mind watching as well. Part of this is due to the lovely narration and singing by Jimmy Durante. Sure, he didn't have a great voice, but somehow is rendition of "Frosty the Snowman" seems like the definitive version and has only been surpassed by the amazing version by Leon Redbone.

The film itself tries to bring to life the famous song originally sung by Gene Autry. Here you learn exactly why the snowman actually came to life as well as the interesting additions to the song--such as the magical intervention of Santa. Overall, a lovely film that's sure to please all but the most grouchy.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A truly timeless and terrific TV yuletide holiday special treat
Woodyanders25 June 2006
I've seen this truly timeless and terrific late 60's TV yuletide holiday special classic more times than I can count and it never fails to make me feel totally elated. Jolly, lovable snowman Frosty (exuberantly voiced with marvelously plummy gusto by Jackie Vernon) miraculously comes to life when a discarded magic silk top hat falls atop his head. But Frosty can't stick around for long or he'll melt due to the rising temperature. Meanwhile, evil, yet inept magician Professor Hinkle (voiced with winningly rascally snake oil élan by Billy De Wolfe) chases after Frosty in order to get his hat back. The wonderfully catchy and merry theme song, the engagingly folksy Christmas postcard-style animation, Jimmy Durante's delightful narration (Durante also heartily belts out the theme song), the endearing characters (I love Hocus-Pocus the rabbit!), and an irresistibly sweet-natured sensibility that's utterly bereft of any smug irony or sour cynicism make this lovely and radiant gem a complete joy to behold. Legendary voice actor Paul Frees lends his gloriously melodious golden pipes to the juicy supporting roles of both Santa Claus and a testy traffic cop. Essential annual seasonal viewing for kids of all ages, including crusty old adults like this humble reviewer.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Christmas TV Tradition
Brett Walter3 November 2002
Like "A Charlie Brown Christmas" "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" this is one of those timeless holiday specials. In this one a magic hat brings a snowman to life. However the temperature is borderline freezing and that means that Frosty could melt. Not only that, but the owner of the magic hat, a slimy magician wants the hat back to get wealthy. Is the suspense killing you?
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a great one
gazzo-216 October 1999
This one has always worked for me--where else can you find Jimmy Durante come Christmas time on Primetime TV nowadays? A special done with great heart, good work by Paul Frees, June Foray, and the great Billy De Wolfe. We always loved his 'Think Nasty! Think Nasty!' bit as kids. He was a funny man, a stand up comedian/magician combo.

All I can say is that Rankin Bass hit a homer with this one, and I am glad CBS keeps on trotting it out every December.

**** outta ****, this one works.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Is Your Christmas Complete without Viewing this?
Christmas-Reviewer3 September 2016
CBS TELEVISION has broadcast Christmas Cartoon Specials now for over 50 years. "Rudolph" is of course the most popular but I am willing to bet that "Frosty" is a close 2nd. In fact "Frosty" has had 3 sequels. Now if you are not familiar with this cartoon then shame on you. This cartoon is such a part of Christmas that you now see Outdoor Christmas Decorations being sold at Home Depot that are images from this special.

Now this cartoon is of course based on the popular song. It is fast paced Christmas cartoon that has that little something special that only "The Rankin-Bass Productions" could deliver. Frosty of course is the snowman the kids were able to bring to life. However they realize that Frosty is on very limited time. In order to stay alive he needs to get to the North-pole. A little girl named Karen is doing everything she can to get him there.

My Christmas Time Viewing would not be complete without viewing this. I am sure I am not alone. If you have kids watch it with them. There is something so special about this cartoon that parents should want to watch this with their kids..
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent holiday special!
Catherine_Grace_Zeh9 November 2006
In my opinion, this is an excellent holiday special. However, I couldn't bear seeing Frosty (voice of Jackie Vernon) get all sweaty. In addition, the thing that really makes this special worth watching is the music, especially the title song. When that's performed, I always smile. I would have to say that's my favorite song of this special. Also, I have to admit it, but Professor Hinkle (voice of Billy De Wolfe) was one of my favorite characters. In conclusion, I highly recommend this excellent remake of a holiday classic to everyone, especially all you fans of the song who have not seen it. When you see it, prepare to smile and have a good time.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Happy Birthday! This Old School Cartoon was kinda cool. Frosty the Snowman was indeed a jolly happy soul, worth visiting!
ironhorse_iv28 December 2015
I just wish, this 1970's American animated Christmas family television special based on the popular song written by Walter "Jack" Rollins and Steve Nelson, of the same name, was a little more refreshing. Not only, is the animation by Mushi Production a bit dated in this movie, but it was also a little choppy and stiff in places than mostly smooth. It get even more jarring when you notice that the lip-syncing and the voice acting is a bit off. Characters throughout the film are always saying things, when their mouths isn't moving. You see these mistakes, mostly toward the middle and end of the film. Some good examples of this, are the train & greenhouse scenes. While, there is some errors in the animation; for the most part, this animation film is a lot better than the earlier clay motion Rankin'/Bass Christmas specials, in particular 1964's Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I just don't see much, children these days, watching this 40 year old, movie. One thing, that Frosty the Snowman does have, going for it, is its pacing. For a 25 minutes film, it told their story very well. However, the story isn't nothing special. It's pretty clear and cut. Not much, going on, besides Frosty the Snowman (Voiced by Jackie Vernon) trying to make it to the North Pole, before he melt. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, the simplicity of the plot. I just wish, the movie was a little more memorable with it. After all, the story deux ex machina toward the end of the film, seem to come out of nowhere and the whole Santa Claus subplot seem a bit forced. Still the movie does had its fair share of funny and touching moments. Without spoiling it, I do like, the third act emotional tear-jerking moment. It was very touching. The enchanting story is also very heart-tugging, because of the narrative voice over by actor Jimmy Durante in his final performance. He's by far, one of the best narrator, Rankin'/Bass ever hired. Jackie Vernon as the titular character was also great. While, I didn't like his dumbfounded nature, in the beginning of the film; I just glad, the movie didn't follow up with it, toward the end of the film. This move allows Jackie Vernon to channel more of his heart-warming & emotional lovely side. Watch it, and you will see it, with his voice. The film also works, because of the voice acting from Billy De Wolfe. His work as the villain Professor Hinkle was wonderfully. The sub-plot of him, trying to get back, his magic hat was pretty interesting. He was a treat. Even the voice acting by veteran, voice actor, June Foray was also a bit magically. I really thought, Little Karen was voiced by a child actor. It was very surprising, for me, to find out, later, that she was voiced by then a, 53 year old woman, June Foray. However, in later airings after 1970, June Foray's voice was replaced by an unknown actress. At the time, rumors implied a controversy over copyrights and/or royalties as the reason behind the change, but the reason remains unknown. Still, Foray's voice is still heard as her singing voice, as well as other minor roles, in later releases, but it was a bit jarring to hear, two different voices for Little Karen in certain version. It also weird to see that audio quality of the replacement voice is better than that of the other sounds. The current restored version, which debuted in 2005, does not restore Foray's voice, but it does match better with the other voices filmed in 1969. The original soundtrack with Foray's original voice track is available on CD and a must-find, because how rare, it is. Despite, the trouble of Little Karen's voice actor, I still enjoy the special. There is still some magic in this film; to the point, that TV Guide recently ranked the special number 4 on its 10 Best Family Holiday Specials list. One thing, I can't recommend is, the Frosty the Snowman's sequels. 1976's Frosty's Winter Wonderland, 1979's Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July, 1992's Frosty Returns & 2005's The Legend of Frosty the Snowman were below standards. Overall: The original Frosty the Snowman film is a must-watch for anybody, looking for a film to watch with their family. So this Christmas season, chill with "Frosty" than anything else!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yet another timeless classic from Rankin'/Bass
TheLittleSongbird21 December 2009
I just want to start this review by saying that I love all the Rankin'/Bass Christmas specials in their own right, in particular Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Frosty the Snowman is no exception, it is yet another timeless Christmas classic that gets better and better each viewing. I seriously don't mind whether the plot, about a little girl and the snowman Frosty trying to stop an greedy magician from stealing Frosty's magic hat, is a tad predictable, because it never takes away any of the charm that is had in this gem.

The animation is stunning; the backgrounds are very detailed and the characters are well drawn. And the music is lovely and definitely memorable, the title song Frosty the Snowman is one of the irresistibly catchy Christmas songs of all time, and never fails to bring a smile to my face. The characters are great, Frosty is a wonderful title character, Karen is very sweet and likable and the magician Professor Hinkle is loathsome certainly. I have to say though the voice work is outstanding, with Jimmy Durante perfect as the narrator and Jackie Vernon simply wonderful as Frosty. I admit it, I felt my eyes welling up when Frosty melted.

All in all, a timeless classic. My advice to you, just sit back and chill out with that lovable Frosty. That way you are in for a good time. 10/10 Bethany Cox
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Christmas Classic
zkonedog11 March 2017
Christmas is a time of tradition, whether from food, family, or fellowship. It is also the season when Hollywood tries to create their own traditions with the numerous "holiday specials" that clog the airways throughout the month of December. "Frosty the Snowman" is the cream of the crop.

The story is simple: A magic hat brings "Frosty" the snowman to life, after which he must travel to the North Pole to prevent being melted. Meanwhile, an evil magician is trying to redeem the hat for his own nefarious purposes.

Since 1951, children and adults alike have enjoyed this half-hour special. Kids will be sucked in by the magic and music, while adults may just find even their eyes welling up a bit when Frosty is threatened near the end.

Along with Claymation Rudolph, this TV special should be required watching around the holiday season.
Frosty the Snowman
Scarecrow-886 December 2016
The classic Christmas cartoon about the talking snowman with top hat and corn cob pipe who needs to find a cold place to live or else melt. With Jimmy Durante narrating, Jackie Vernon voicing jolly ole Frosty, Rocky & Bullwinkle's own June Foray as little Karen who follows Frosty as he decides to go to the North Pole, and the great Paul Frees as Santa Claus, this cast of wonderfully rich, memorable voices make it all so worthwhile. The hothouse scene where Frosty sacrifices himself for Karen after she becomes ill from the cold, turning into a puddle, is a real gulp in the throat. Billy De Wolfe voices the magician who follows after Frosty, looking to get his hat back, rounding out the cast. Short and sweet, this Rankin & Bass special is such a treat some/many might wish it could have been a bit longer. And it was always a pleasure to see Santa show up to save the day. This was a wonderful experience to share with my children as I once did with my mother.
Still Smiling
Bonnie O'Connor24 November 2016
The Rankin Bass Christmas films have always been considered enduring classics, and this short is no exception. It's charming, enjoyable, nice to watch, but also very funny to watch. The story's basically about a snowman called Frosty who comes to life thanks to a magical hat, but he must go to the North Pole before he melts. Also he needs to keep away from an evil magician (who actually acknowledges that he's an evil magician) who wants Frosty's hat so he can be rich from its magic. The short's pretty goofy when you get down to it. The animation's weird, the kids don't sound at all like kids or even act like kids that much, the logic is non existent, and of course the villain has got to be the silliest part of the short. Not only does he outright acknowledge that he's an "evil magician", but he goes to extreme lengths to get the magical hat, without caring that he would be essentially killing a snowman and even a little girl at one point. I honestly think this short could have done without a villain. However, I think that the goofiness is part of the short's charm. How often do you see kids being unfazed with the fact that a snowman spontaneously coming to life, a snowman able to speak to a rabbit but not to other woodland creatures, the adults acting childish, or Santa threatening to never give the villain presents unless he writes "I am very sorry for what I did to Frosty" a hundred zillion times? It's just so funny. But all that aside, what else is good? Jimmy Durante singing the song in between the short is such a delight to hear as usual. It's always my favorite version of the song. And of course, Frosty himself is a lovable character and has an adorable personality, and the friendship between him and the little girl is believable and heartwarming. Personally, I think that even though it's a goofy short, I still love it. It truly is a Christmas treasure. It's fun to watch, the character of Frosty is lovable, and it just puts me in a good mood, not just for Christmas, but for any day.
A Very Cute Classic
Rainey Dawn23 November 2016
I have very fond memories of watching this as a kid - I just recently re-watched it all these years later and yes it's still cute to me. This is a wonderful Christmas classic for entire family especially for the kids.

You can't take a story or film like this seriously - it's all in good clean fun. It's a film you simply just kick back to enjoy if an adult while recapturing the past and entertaining your inner child. When you are a little kid the film is magical, something to get excited about.

This movie is not a claymation but it is a great animation. The film still holds a special place in my heart.

An Enjoyable Christmas Special
moviemattb18 December 2014
Like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," this review won't be long so its pretty much going to be a short review. "Frosty the Snowman" is about a snowman that is brought to life by a magical hat, which it happens to be own by a very poor magician; so Frosty can talk, dance, etc. However, things don't go well as the weather's temperature rises up to be hot for Frosty. So, now, Frosty must make his to get to the North Pole where its colder or else he will melt. The animation itself is presented in traditional animation instead being in stop-motion like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer;" with that said, I thought the animation in this special is actually really good. The songs are also great, while the acting is alright but there could be some that are a bit wooden for my taste, but I digress. So that is how short that I am about say. "Frosty the Snowman" is an enjoyable Christmas special, but I love "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" more since they are both made by Rankin and Bass. I give it a 9 out of 10.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watch this one when days get shorter
I think this short film works best, when watched maybe in early December or late November, not necessarily right before Christmas. Sure, it has Santa in it, but the main character is frosty and it makes you look forward to when there's actually snow outside, so you can build your own Frosty the Snowman. The antagonist is perfect for a kids movie like this one. he's not really evil, more clumsy than anything, so it's a good watch also for smaller children even if they still believe in the existence of Santa (oh I'm sorry, biggest spoiler ever!). They'll also love the furry white rabbit. The adults will enjoy the voice-work from Jimmy Durante, the man who gave us a wonderful version of the old classic song I'll Be Seeing You.

The plot is about a little girl trying to get a snowman magically put to life to the North Pole, so he won't melt once temperature rises. It's a journey with many obstacles, but thanks for the help of a fat bearded man in red dress, they finally succeed. The animation is neither particularly great, nor bad for 1969, it's kinda appropriate, as everything else in this harmless little fun movie.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as well developed as Rudolph, but it is okay for kids.
Aaron137528 November 2011
This is one of those cartoons that I used to watch every year as a child during X-mas time. It was a staple, just like the Charlie Brown X-mas special and Rudolph. The animation is on par with Charlie, not as good as Rudolph and the story is not as good as Rudolph either. There really is not all that much to it. Basically, they stick with the song and do not add a whole lot like Rudolph did, of course they do not have Santa in this one acting a bit gruff. This one has a horrible magician trying to perform for the kiddies and doing a bad job. He tosses his hat and the kids use it to put on the head of their snowman who comes to life saying 'happy birthday' every time he comes to life again. I do not know why he does this, as usually one does not wish themselves a happy birthday, but whatever, it is just a kid's movie. Well Frosty has to get to the North Pole otherwise he is going to melt so he and a girl make their way to said region while the magician follows wanting his hat back because it does obviously contain some magic within it. That is about the gist of it, not many characters, not really all that much depth and it is best not to delve into the guy who did Frosty's voice career to much or one is going to be shocked to find a movie that one would most certainly not associate with X-mas and family fare. Okay for what it was, but not as good as other specials of the day.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Schnozzola's and Rocky the Squirrel's voices: perfect.
Lee Eisenberg21 December 2006
In one sense, "Frosty the Snowman" sort of looks like something that can only appeal to kids. But, I guess that it does have a certain charm to itself. Now that I'm old enough to understand, I find it quite neat that Jimmy Durante narrated and June Foray - aka Rocky the Squirrel - provided voices. I wonder if Prof. Hinkle's name was an allusion to the dictator in Charlie Chaplin's "The Great Dictator"; after all, he was equally dastardly.

So, it's something cool (pun intended) to remember. Of course, I always like to contrast Frosty with the snow goons in "Calvin and Hobbes". Worth seeing.