IMDb > Frosty the Snowman (1969) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Another Christmas TV Tradition

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
3 November 2002

Like "A Charlie Brown Christmas" "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" this is one of those timeless holiday specials. In this one a magic hat brings a snowman to life. However the temperature is borderline freezing and that means that Frosty could melt. Not only that, but the owner of the magic hat, a slimy magician wants the hat back to get wealthy. Is the suspense killing you?

Excellent holiday special!

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
9 November 2006

In my opinion, this is an excellent holiday special. However, I couldn't bear seeing Frosty (voice of Jackie Vernon) get all sweaty. In addition, the thing that really makes this special worth watching is the music, especially the title song. When that's performed, I always smile. I would have to say that's my favorite song of this special. Also, I have to admit it, but Professor Hinkle (voice of Billy De Wolfe) was one of my favorite characters. In conclusion, I highly recommend this excellent remake of a holiday classic to everyone, especially all you fans of the song who have not seen it. When you see it, prepare to smile and have a good time.

Schnozzola's and Rocky the Squirrel's voices: perfect.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
21 December 2006

In one sense, "Frosty the Snowman" sort of looks like something that can only appeal to kids. But, I guess that it does have a certain charm to itself. Now that I'm old enough to understand, I find it quite neat that Jimmy Durante narrated and June Foray - aka Rocky the Squirrel - provided voices. I wonder if Prof. Hinkle's name was an allusion to the dictator in Charlie Chaplin's "The Great Dictator"; after all, he was equally dastardly.

So, it's something cool (pun intended) to remember. Of course, I always like to contrast Frosty with the snow goons in "Calvin and Hobbes". Worth seeing.

One of the Best!

Author: cooks76082 from United States
17 December 2006

Rankin/Bass are at their best with this holiday favorite. This isn't the politically correct version that you see every year on TV. The cast of voice-over actors and actresses is top-notched with the likes of June Foray, Jackie Vernon and Billy DeWolfe, but who could ever forget the great Jimmy Durante as the Narrator along with his vocals on "Frosty the Snowman". Our kids love it as much as we did when we were their ages. Get out there and buy it now! You can't go wrong. I recommend if you can buy it, make sure it was packaged and designed in 1993. The one's that are "digitally" remastered are the edited versions of this all time classic!

Yet another timeless classic from Rankin'/Bass

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
21 December 2009

I just want to start this review by saying that I love all the Rankin'/Bass Christmas specials in their own right, in particular Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Frosty the Snowman is no exception, it is yet another timeless Christmas classic that gets better and better each viewing. I seriously don't mind whether the plot, about a little girl and the snowman Frosty trying to stop an greedy magician from stealing Frosty's magic hat, is a tad predictable, because it never takes away any of the charm that is had in this gem.

The animation is stunning; the backgrounds are very detailed and the characters are well drawn. And the music is lovely and definitely memorable, the title song Frosty the Snowman is one of the irresistibly catchy Christmas songs of all time, and never fails to bring a smile to my face. The characters are great, Frosty is a wonderful title character, Karen is very sweet and likable and the magician Professor Hinkle is loathsome certainly. I have to say though the voice work is outstanding, with Jimmy Durante perfect as the narrator and Jackie Vernon simply wonderful as Frosty. I admit it, I felt my eyes welling up when Frosty melted.

All in all, a timeless classic. My advice to you, just sit back and chill out with that lovable Frosty. That way you are in for a good time. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Happy Birthday! This Old School Cartoon was kinda cool. Frosty the Snowman was indeed a jolly happy soul, worth visiting!

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
28 December 2015

I just wish, this 1970's American animated Christmas family television special based on the popular song written by Walter "Jack" Rollins and Steve Nelson, of the same name, was a little more refreshing. Not only, is the animation by Mushi Production a bit dated in this movie, but it was also a little choppy and stiff in places than mostly smooth. It get even more jarring when you notice that the lip-syncing and the voice acting is a bit off. Characters throughout the film are always saying things, when their mouths isn't moving. You see these mistakes, mostly toward the middle and end of the film. Some good examples of this, are the train & greenhouse scenes. While, there is some errors in the animation; for the most part, this animation film is a lot better than the earlier clay motion Rankin'/Bass Christmas specials, in particular 1964's Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I just don't see much, children these days, watching this 40 year old, movie. One thing, that Frosty the Snowman does have, going for it, is its pacing. For a 25 minutes film, it told their story very well. However, the story isn't nothing special. It's pretty clear and cut. Not much, going on, besides Frosty the Snowman (Voiced by Jackie Vernon) trying to make it to the North Pole, before he melt. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, the simplicity of the plot. I just wish, the movie was a little more memorable with it. After all, the story deux ex machina toward the end of the film, seem to come out of nowhere and the whole Santa Claus subplot seem a bit forced. Still the movie does had its fair share of funny and touching moments. Without spoiling it, I do like, the third act emotional tear-jerking moment. It was very touching. The enchanting story is also very heart-tugging, because of the narrative voice over by actor Jimmy Durante in his final performance. He's by far, one of the best narrator, Rankin'/Bass ever hired. Jackie Vernon as the titular character was also great. While, I didn't like his dumbfounded nature, in the beginning of the film; I just glad, the movie didn't follow up with it, toward the end of the film. This move allows Jackie Vernon to channel more of his heart-warming & emotional lovely side. Watch it, and you will see it, with his voice. The film also works, because of the voice acting from Billy De Wolfe. His work as the villain Professor Hinkle was wonderfully. The sub-plot of him, trying to get back, his magic hat was pretty interesting. He was a treat. Even the voice acting by veteran, voice actor, June Foray was also a bit magically. I really thought, Little Karen was voiced by a child actor. It was very surprising, for me, to find out, later, that she was voiced by then a, 53 year old woman, June Foray. However, in later airings after 1970, June Foray's voice was replaced by an unknown actress. At the time, rumors implied a controversy over copyrights and/or royalties as the reason behind the change, but the reason remains unknown. Still, Foray's voice is still heard as her singing voice, as well as other minor roles, in later releases, but it was a bit jarring to hear, two different voices for Little Karen in certain version. It also weird to see that audio quality of the replacement voice is better than that of the other sounds. The current restored version, which debuted in 2005, does not restore Foray's voice, but it does match better with the other voices filmed in 1969. The original soundtrack with Foray's original voice track is available on CD and a must-find, because how rare, it is. Despite, the trouble of Little Karen's voice actor, I still enjoy the special. There is still some magic in this film; to the point, that TV Guide recently ranked the special number 4 on its 10 Best Family Holiday Specials list. One thing, I can't recommend is, the Frosty the Snowman's sequels. 1976's Frosty's Winter Wonderland, 1979's Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July, 1992's Frosty Returns & 2005's The Legend of Frosty the Snowman were below standards. Overall: The original Frosty the Snowman film is a must-watch for anybody, looking for a film to watch with their family. So this Christmas season, chill with "Frosty" than anything else!

An Enjoyable Christmas Special

Author: moviemattb from United States
18 December 2014

Like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," this review won't be long so its pretty much going to be a short review. "Frosty the Snowman" is about a snowman that is brought to life by a magical hat, which it happens to be own by a very poor magician; so Frosty can talk, dance, etc. However, things don't go well as the weather's temperature rises up to be hot for Frosty. So, now, Frosty must make his to get to the North Pole where its colder or else he will melt. The animation itself is presented in traditional animation instead being in stop-motion like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer;" with that said, I thought the animation in this special is actually really good. The songs are also great, while the acting is alright but there could be some that are a bit wooden for my taste, but I digress. So that is how short that I am about say. "Frosty the Snowman" is an enjoyable Christmas special, but I love "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" more since they are both made by Rankin and Bass. I give it a 9 out of 10.

wild crazy children's adventure

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 November 2014

It's the day before Christmas. Professor Hinkle is one of worst magicians ever. He comes to school to do a show for the kids. The kids rather go out and build a snowman calling it Frosty. The rabbit in Hinkle's hat Hocus Pocus runs away and the hat lands on Frosty bringing him to life. Hinkle takes his hat back. Hocus Pocus gives the hat back to the children. Frosty comes back alive but he starts to melt. Little Karen, Frosty and Hocus Pocus sneak on a train to the North Pole. Hinkle stowaways as well to try and take the hat back. Then they enlist the help of Santa Claus.

Let's face it. There are lots of crazy stuff going on. I don't know that finders keepers with the magic hat is a great message for the kids. Then there is the little girl that almost froze to death. I doubt this movie is about any message other than just a simple insane children's adventure. There's also the great song and Jimmy Durante's narration. That stuff is just iconic.

The Joy of Imagination

Author: Michael Sloane from Tempe, Arizona, United States of America
29 October 2014

Frosty the Snowman is a true Christmas classic. While my favorite Christmas special remains Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer,I have a special place in my heart for Frosty the Snowman and I watch it 2-3 times every December,including every Christmas Eve night. The beauty of Frosty the Snowman is that it's about imagination. How much fun is it to imagine building a snowman and having it come to life. And just around Christmas too! That's the real beauty of Frosty the Snowman. Another strong point of this show is Jimmy Durante's singing of the song Frosty the Snowman. I bought an mp3 version of Jimmy Durante's Frosty the Snowman from this show last November and it is definitely the best version of the song Frosty the Snowman that I've heard. I highly recommend this show as it is a true Christmas classic.

A True Christmas Classic

Author: gavin6942 from United States
24 December 2013

A living snowman (Jackie Vernon) and a little girl (June Foray) struggle to elude a greedy magician who is after the snowman's magic hat.

What does it say about a short Christmas cartoon made over forty years ago that it still gets watched regularly by children today? I mean, kids who saw it in 1969 may now be watching it with their grandkids. That is a pretty powerful cartoon, if you ask me.

Not that there is anything amazing about the story, the animation or much else... but just the way this has become so iconic. The song was a hit in 1950, but I suspect that this special is what really made it a timeless Christmas song.

(Worth noting: character designs were created by Paul Coker, who is perhaps better known as an artist for Mad Magazine!)

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]