IMDb > Frosty the Snowman (1969) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Classic Xmas

Author: kirk c from Canada
21 October 2005

I grew up with frosty i would look forward to watching this one every year even now. i think it really captures what Xmas is all about. Lol has a kid frosty meant more to me then Santa did so thats the type of effect this show had on me back then.

Its funny how even after all these years it doesn't really show its age other then the lack of computers in the classroom. I want to know what other cartoon can make you cry over snow.

There's also a Frosty Returns but it lacks in so many areas that its not even worth watching my opinion though i now others love it just has much has This one.

To sum it all up frosty is one of the all time Xmas shows to date

He's cool....

Author: Mister-6 from United States
31 August 1999

Who didn't grow up watching Frosty tell the world "Happy Birthday"?

"Frosty the Snowman" is a pure delight and an annual tradition at our house (even before we had children). Christmas just isn't Christmas until we see "Frosty" on TV.

Besides, here's a story that reinforces a child's love of Christmas time and the wonder of the first snowfall. Not to mention the power of friendship, kindness and good old Santa Claus.

Ten stars. This Christmas, chill with "Frosty"!

A Jolly, Happy Soul of a Holiday Favorite

Author: hfan77
18 December 2005

Frosty the Snowman is one of my all-time favorite holiday specials along with Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer. I look forward to watching it each year (without commercials since I own the home video on VHS) and enjoy the scene where Frosty comes to life with his first words "Happy Birthday!" Unfortunately, the thermometer becomes red and Frosty, concerned about melting, embarks with Karen and Hocus the rabbit to the North Pole.

It was sad when evil magician Professor Hinkle locked Frosty and Karen in the greenhouse, Frosty melted and Karen broke down crying. However, Santa saved the day when Frosty came back to life.

The voicework by Jimmy Durante, Billy DeWolfe and Jackie Vernon is outstanding. Although all three are gone, their memories live on in this jolly, happy holiday classic.

Great for kids

Author: karlssonregister from United States
19 December 2005

Watching the holiday specials lately with my young kids, I can gage which shows really grab them. This one scores points by being quick (30 minutes for the toddler group with short attention spans)and a real tear jerker for a four year old. The storyline is easy to understand for young kids and shows the idea of Santa being a generous guy instead of just a present deliverer. I really like it for them. My favorite as an adult is Charlie Brown Christmas, which my kids also love, but I think this scored higher for them. I found that I still liked it too. It's in my top three. Is this the only Rankin holiday film that is not stop motion?

Fun for the kids

Author: rbverhoef (rbverhoef@hotmail.com) from The Hague, Netherlands
2 January 2004

'Frosty the Snowman', of course, doesn't make any sense, but it has the heart in the right place and it is perfect for children. Frosty (voice by Jackie Vernon) comes to life because a magic hat is put on his head. The hat belongs to professor Hinkle (voice by Billy De Wolfe) who wants it back. Because the temperature is rising Frosty has to go to the North Pole where he won't melt. Together with the little Karen (voice by June Foray) they go on the trip but Karen gets sick and professor Hinkle is still following them. Fortunately we have Santa Claus (voice by Paul Frees) to save the day.

Like I said this is perfect for children and I think adults can have a pretty good time with it too. There are some nice jokes. For Christmas this is a nice special.

A very well done Christmas classic...

Author: SeptumSin from United States
23 December 2008

It's Christmas time and the kids are trying to get ready for their Christmas break when they notice that their snowman has come to life. With joy in their hearts they have to make sure that "Frosty" manages to get to a colder climate before he becomes nothing more than a puddle of water.

This is a true classic film utilizing the stars of the day. This is truly a film that can inspire children. Frosty the snowman is fairly simple and the voice acting is for par not really bad or really good. If there was a Christmas cartoon to show your kids this time of year this is probably my second favorite.

Rankin/Bass' Frosty the Snowman still charming after all these years

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
11 December 2006

I just saw Frosty the Snowman for the first time in several years since the late '80s and while I noticed some lapses on logic and continuity, it's still one of the most charming animated holiday specials ever from Rankin/Bass which for once used drawn, as opposed to doll, animation. In one of his last assignments, Jimmy Durante narrates and sings in his unique voice, charming us even in animated form. Billy DeWolfe is amusing as the villainous magician Professor Hinkle. And Jackie Vernon is perfect voicing Frosty who always says, "Happy Birthday!" when he comes to life. Also kudos to June Foray as the teacher and Paul Frees as both the traffic cop who swallows a whistle after talking to Frosty and as Santa Claus who makes Hinkle write "I am very sorry for what I did to Frosty" one zillion times before considering giving him presents again! How ironic that one year after Frosty, Frees would voice the villainous Burgermeister Meisterburger, Claus' enemy in Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. Both Claus here and Burgermeister even sound the same! Anyway, as the song goes, "Don't you cry, I'll be back again some day!" And we'll be waiting every time, Frosty!

While unfortunately not a stop-motion special, it's still very special!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
24 December 2008

When this debuted in 1969, I saw it...as well as practically every year since. While this Christmas special isn't stop-motion (like my favorite specials from Rankin-Bass Studios), it is a reasonably well animated and sweet show that is not only great for kids but has enough to it that adults won't mind watching as well. Part of this is due to the lovely narration and singing by Jimmy Durante. Sure, he didn't have a great voice, but somehow is rendition of "Frosty the Snowman" seems like the definitive version and has only been surpassed by the amazing version by Leon Redbone.

The film itself tries to bring to life the famous song originally sung by Gene Autry. Here you learn exactly why the snowman actually came to life as well as the interesting additions to the song--such as the magical intervention of Santa. Overall, a lovely film that's sure to please all but the most grouchy.

Frosty and Rudolph

Author: D (libra_2_k@yahoo.com) from United States
3 January 2007

There's no better Christmas show than Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I still watch both of them every year. It wouldn't be Christmas without these two shows. What makes them even more special is, I watch them with my grandchildren every year. We cook up a batch of cookies and sit down to watch these movies every single year. I've always told them I have watched these two movies since I was very little. I am now 49. I hope they get the enjoyment that I have over these years. I have also purchased these movies but do prefer to watch them when they come on TV. I use my purchased one for back up. LOL Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.

A truly timeless and terrific TV yuletide holiday special treat

25 June 2006

I've seen this truly timeless and terrific late 60's TV yuletide holiday special classic more times than I can count and it never fails to make me feel totally elated. Jolly, lovable snowman Frosty (exuberantly voiced with marvelously plummy gusto by Jackie Vernon) miraculously comes to life when a discarded magic silk top hat falls atop his head. But Frosty can't stick around for long or he'll melt due to the rising temperature. Meanwhile, evil, yet inept magician Professor Hinkle (voiced with winningly rascally snake oil élan by Billy De Wolfe) chases after Frosty in order to get his hat back. The wonderfully catchy and merry theme song, the engagingly folksy Christmas postcard-style animation, Jimmy Durante's delightful narration (Durante also heartily belts out the theme song), the endearing characters (I love Hocus-Pocus the rabbit!), and an irresistibly sweet-natured sensibility that's utterly bereft of any smug irony or sour cynicism make this lovely and radiant gem a complete joy to behold. Legendary voice actor Paul Frees lends his gloriously melodious golden pipes to the juicy supporting roles of both Santa Claus and a testy traffic cop. Essential annual seasonal viewing for kids of all ages, including crusty old adults like this humble reviewer.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]