IMDb > Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Page 3 of 33: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Trust Newman-Redford to deliver.....with Extremely Beautiful photography….

Author: imdbfriend from United States
20 August 2008

This is one of the most entertaining and satisfying westerns of all time. There are many factors which works wonder in favor of this movie. Among them:

1. The biggest plus point for this movie to be what it is, is the casting of Newman, Redford and Ross. Apart from the obvious declaration that screen chemistry between Newman-Redford is one of the best of all times, chemistry between Newman-Ross and Redford-Ross are some of the other highlights of the movie. Especially, Newman-Ross scene where they ride in a bicycle is pure joy to watch with the background musical score. Not to mention each scene where Newman and Redford share together are some of the finest moment's cinema lover could ask for.

2.The other major selling point of this movie is that it doesn't have the usual elements of most other westerns which are there all the times i.e., needless bloodshed/ revenge plot/ gun tricks and so on. So this way it was a complete different viewing experience for me and I enjoyed it a lot. Hero here is not interested in taking revenges, he is not very thrilled by the prospect of killing, and he knows the odds against him when there are many villains involved. And yet he does the things westerners do, like robbing trains, loving women, and killing when utmost necessary.

3. Other major factor is the Cinematography. I won't be exaggerating when I suggest that this is the foremost beautiful movie to be photographed, ever! The picturesque landscapes, the white flowing river and everything from day-night to train to houses to people are all so meticulously captured on the camera and with such beautiful, smooth colors that I am totally amazed by this work. Hats off to Conrad Hall for his marvelous efforts.

4. Background music is really good, especially in the bicycle scene and in general throughout the movie. It is very different from music so often related to westerns.

5. Direction is superb, dialogs are smart and witty.

I have tried to cover all the pluses that came to my mind, but still feel I missed some although some on purpose because if I start writing on those it will take more time for me to finish this comment. Especially particular scenes of Newman-Redford but all of them are so good, full of wit, that it won't be fair to comment only on some. So if you have or will watch the movie then you might know what task I have here to write about some of them. Overall, one of the finest westerns of all time, and yet so different from most other films of this genre.

"You Keep Thinking Butch, That's What Your Good At"

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
8 February 2008

It's interesting that a film Midnight Cowboy about a street hustler managed to beat out a western about a couple of real western characters for Best Picture of 1969. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is simply one of the best westerns ever made, it's got wit, and charm, and will get you positively infectious in your enthusiasm for it.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid has the incomparable team of Paul Newman and Robert Redford. George Roy Hill the director had a stroke of inspirational genius teaming the two of them.

They both play a different character. Butch Cassidy is the amiable thinker and planner for the Hole in the Wall gang. Outlaw that he is Paul Newman is so charming in the role you have to root for him. He's a guy who thinks fast on his feet. Note what happens right at the beginning of the film when Ted Cassidy, best known for being Lurch the butler on the Addams Family challenges him for the gang leadership. It's one of my favorite scenes.

But even better is Newman with George Furth as the dedicated employee of the Union Pacific Railroad in two scenes where this stubborn little clerk tries to singlehandedly stop the robbery. Furth in fact is my favorite character part in the film.

Of course Newman is backed up by the laconic fast draw The Sundance Kid as played by Robert Redford. He's got a nice quiet menace about him, but you can tell how much affection he has for Newman. What comes through is these guys genuinely like each other on and off the screen.

Katharine Ross plays Etta Place who was Sundance's mistress. I liked her also, she's a survivor and one grateful for the good and bad times she's had. Ross is a former schoolteacher and she went into the relationship with her eyes open with no regrets. But the most poignant moment in the film is when she tells both of the men that she'll go with them to Bolivia after the USA has gotten too hot for them and do whatever they want, but she won't watch them inevitably die because they can't change with the times.

A lot of the same themes are expressed in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid as were done in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. The difference is that Butch and Sundance have a ton of redeeming qualities whereas Liberty Valance has none.

B.J. Thomas's rendition of the Academy Award winning song Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head is what people remember most about this film. It's certainly one of the most recognized movie themes ever written. Besides Thomas, good records of the song were done by Andy Williams, Perry Como and Dean Martin.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid won some other technical Oscars including a most deserved one for cinematography. It missed being Best Picture and Best Director for George Roy Hill.

In the only western he ever did in his career George Roy Hill came up with one of the best. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid should be seen back to back with The Sting. Hard to say which one is the better.

Gags and one-liners... but no atmosphere

Author: spazmodeus from United States
28 May 2003

This movie foreshadows well the modern Hollywood blockbuster. It gets all its mileage out of individual gags that are sort of strung end-to-end, and there you have the movie. Everything is a bit light and fluffy, and the whole production seems to say "Look! Heartthrob actors, dressed up like cowboys, doing cowboy stuff!" It certainly has entertaining portions (along the lines of Hollywood's usual "something for everyone"), but I wouldn't call it a good movie. Best watched after Sergio Leone's masterpieces have faded from memory. I didn't take that advice and found myself thinking "this is so weak!"

Stands the test of time...

Author: Justin Keen (kiwifilm) from Hong Kong - S.A.R. China
6 October 2002

Revisiting Butch and Sundance in 2002, 33 years after initial release, this film certainly stands the test of time... it was as funny yet poignant today as it was back then. Not all films last 33 years when so many other films of the period just look dated. This one still has legs!

Purely fantastic from beginning to end

Author: Gem_14 from Manchester, England
26 July 2001

I may be young, but this is one of my favourite films (among others of Paul Newmans, unsurprisingly). What a movie!! It is funny, enjoyable and understandable, which is more than I can say for so many Westerns. I do not usually enjoy them, but Newman and Redford are superb actors who work brilliantly together, producing a film that deserves more recognition these days.

A reminder of how film-making can be an art: acting, screenplay, score and filming all.

Author: Miriam-11 from New Hampshire, USA
5 July 2000

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was, for Hollywood-skeptical me, a reminder of how film-making can be an art. It is just so beautifully crafted! Paul Newman and Robert Redford shine as the title characters - I could not take my eyes off of them on the screen. The supporting cast plays off them wonderfully, and the screenplay, full of wit and charisma, is the best I've ever seen. There are some wonderful filming sequences in this movie, used innovatively to compliment the scenes and plot. The score is memorable - not just sweeping soundtrack stuck into the frames of a western, it is really music, beautiful and creative in of itself. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a poignant classic - they don't make 'em like this anymore.

Western? No – but a warming and funny gentle comedy

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
2 August 2002

Cassidy and Sundance are part of the Hole in the Wall gang. However the West is becoming harder for criminals and soon they find themselves the target of a posse. Wherever they go they are followed. Eventually they travel to Bolivia to escape the heat, but can they manage to go straight?

This is one of the slightest and flimsiest westerns of modern days. Even Young Guns has more cohesive plotting than this. However that's not what this is all about. For all it's lightness it is really, really good fun. To all intents and purposes it's a comedy regardless of the period it is set in. The plot does little but provide some funny chases and ample oppourtunity for the two stars to play off each other to great effect.

Ross is good but really this is only Newman and Redford's film, and they play it well. Both have a great rapport with the other and it adds to the bickering etc. Their lines are all great and the film lives and dies with them. It has slow portions and bits that don't really work too well, but as long as Newman and Redford are on screen then fun is never too far away.

Overall this is not a great western, but as a classic buddy comedy it's bang on. Funny and warming every time you watch it this is a great film.

"Do you know what you are doing?" "Theoretically."

Author: pastfind
26 February 2002

After viewing this movie for the first time, and while simultaneously reading about Robert Leroy Parker, I felt it appropriate to give my two cents. The character development and chemistry between Redford and Newman is excellent. As is the case with their performance in The Sting, the two really excel together as a team. The shootout in the end best demonstrates the comradery and the brotherhood that the two share. I can't figure out why the soundtrack from this movie won so many awards. It wasn't terrible but it sure wasn't spectacular. Oh well, such is politics. The balance of humor and drama was superb, transitioning between each other like clockwork. The sets and the actual geography of the sets was incredible. I think I spent more time marveling at the mountains and the rock formations then the characters at times. If you are looking for a fun film to watch, or a unique western, I suggest this film whole-heartedly.

Could this really have been the beginning of Sundance?

Author: Martin Bradley (MOscarbradley@aol.com) from Derry, Ireland
18 May 2002

A truly revisionist western in the best sense of the term, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" was one of the quintessential American movies of the sixties; a huge commercial success and showered with Oscars. Over the years it has gone somewhat out of fashion but it is still a ground-breaking classic no matter how you look at it. It moves seamlessly between seriousness and a beautifully honed comic sensibility continually buoyed up by one of the greatest of all screenplays by William Goldman, too jokey for some, perhaps, but clever, myth-making and intelligent and while many movies that seemed so much of their period or which wore their influences a little too obviously, (in this case, the French New Wave), "Butch ... and Sundance ..." certainly isn't one of them.

Admittedly Newman and Redford coast their way through the film; they look like they are having too much fun. This is laconic acting at its most laconic, but Conrad Hall's photography is still stunning so the film looks as good as it sounds. I have no doubt that George Roy Hill's subsequent Newman/Redford pairing "The Sting"'s best picture Oscar was one given to make up for "Butch's" failure to take home the big prize.

Deserves its reputation as a classic

Author: Bob Pr. from Lawrence, KS
22 August 2012

After the special posse of experts is finally formed and is pursuing them too well, Butch Cassidy (Paul Newman) and the Sundance Kid (Robert Redford) move their bank robbing business to South America accompanied by the Kid's girlfriend, Etta (Katharine Ross).

This was the breakout role for Robert Redford's movie career (Redford named the "Sundance Institute" and the annual "Sundance Film Festival" that he founded in honor of this effect). While some respected critics, e.g., Roger Ebert & many others (see the 50% ratings of 'rotten' by 'top critics' reviews of this film on "Rotten Tomatoes") regard this movie as overdone or only "so-so," or "not western enough," most viewers find it still greatly entertaining and interesting.

I agree with the majority: it remains remarkably fresh and fun. There's so much clever banter throughout between the two stars, it borders on comedy (so much we become oblivious to the scores of people we see killed during the story's unfolding). Its Oscar winning screenplay very much draws on actual people and events (but please see Wikipedia's article on Butch Cassidy for how closely the movie mirrors reality). The actual lives and activities of Butch & the Sundance Kid are almost over the top--and so is this movie, too.