IMDb > "This Is Tom Jones" (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"This Is Tom Jones" More at IMDbPro »

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
25 September 2003

Out of all the live-variety hour shows that were produced during the late 60's and early 70's,only one show that would enthralled audiences for the three years it ran on the air was none other than Britain's Mister Excitement himself........

THE ONE AND ONLY..........TOM JONES!!!!!!!

The series "THIS IS TOM JONES",ran from 1969 through 1972 on ABC-TV,and was produced by ITC Productions,but the show was broadcast in Hollywood.

It was amazing that ABC-TV had the rights to broadcast his variety series and not to mention a lot of his variety specials that were produced in the late 1960's and early 1970's,including his classic Christmas special,which hasn't been since in years..until now through the magic of DVD and video which is not available.

As for his series,it was something to see,especially with the man who had the golden voice and can put audiences in a spell(especially with the ladies)with his charm and special movement into every song that he did and the show was a winner on the ABC-TV network during its run. As for the guest stars there were many including appearances by Bob Hope, Little Richard,Dionne Warwick,Sammy Davis,Jr. and so many more.

This needs to be seen on DVD soon,for those who want to experience the awesome power and spellbinding voice that this man brought to millions and is still got it going strong today....yes,ladies and gentlemen..... THIS IS TOM JONES!!!!!!

Author: Judith BALL (jontuefouche2004) from Florida, USA
22 September 2004

The item I long for more than any other in this world is "This Is Tom Jones". Whats the matter with the entertainment industry, that they seem unaware of the potential profits, the release of this TV series, on DVD, could make them. HELLO, The man was the epitome of SEXY, that transcends time. Women of all ages would pay DEARLY, to get another glimpse of Tom in his prime, in the 70's. Baby, he's what dreams were truly made of!!! I don't care for his recent offerings, but when he was in his 30's, WOW!!! Am I right ladies? I was so into Tom from the age of 11 years old, it was like he was a new RELIGION. Pure worship, on my part. Every album, every appearance, every concert that came to Boca Raton, Florida. I was there. And throwing panties, too? You bet. Nobody could rip a tuxedo shirt, dripping in perspiration, and make you sweat right along with him, like Tom. Release this man on DVD and give him BACK to the female population, so we can again, witness the raw sexual magnetism that is so lacking in the male entertainers today. Is there anyone who can compare to Tom Jones? I don't think so. Although, Mel Gibson is a truly close second. Just one woman's opinion...

I'm interested in purchasing This is Tom Jones variety show DVD

Author: ericardo from United States
7 July 2006

Does anyone know where one can obtain a DVD of the 1969 "This is Tom Jones" variety shows? I have never seen re-runs of this classic TV show featuring one of the truly great talents of our time. Even though he is still performing today (and was recently knighted by the Queen), I'm of the belief that Tom Jones was at his very best (in terms of singing voice) from 1967 through 1971. I believe it was Frank Sinatra himself that once claimed in the late 60's that Tom Jones "would burn his voice out" if he kept belting out the songs like he did. While I believe that there was truth to that, I still think he a master of the songs. Nonetheless, to really appreciate his great voice, one would have to watch the variety shows of the late 60's & early 70's!

Big's on it's way to DVD

Author: azz01 from United Kingdom
11 February 2005

Hot off the press THIS IS TOM JONES is on it's way in full DVD glory!!Tom himself has just bought the rights to every episode(thats 67 in total) to his legendary TV show.According to his official website the DVD release should be around late 2005.No other details at the moment but hopefully they will release all 67 shows over a few box sets and not just a kind of "best of" DVD.As Tom has bought all the rights to every show I think that they probably ARE going to release them all.If you want to check this out go to his official website,register as a member and go to the forum.There is a thread for "TITJ series" and the post containing the announcement for the DVD is by the it's official!! LET'S ROCK!!

What's New, Pussycat!?

Author: Dalbert Pringle from New Zealand
8 July 2013

By the time that the late-1960s had rolled around, the handsome, Welsh, powerhouse, pop singer, Tom Jones (born Thomas John Woodward), with his full-throated, baritone, singing-voice, was already well on his way to being one of the most popular and successful male vocalists in the world of entertainment.

With the way that the youthful Tom (with his swaggering sex appeal) could belt out a tune there could be no disputing the magnificence of his hot charisma that went along so nicely with his impressive vocal talents.

Check out this 3-DVD collection that showcases the highlights of Tom's Musical/Variety TV series that ran from 1969 - 1971 (for which he was paid $9 million) and featured such top contemporary musical talent as - The Moody Blues, The Who, Janis Joplin, Stevie Wonder and Joe Cocker, to name but a few.

"This is Tom Jones" out on DVD June 26th, 2007

Author: Matt McGlynn from United States
15 May 2007

From What I've seen on the You Tube channel for this product, it looks amazing! Just search for "Tom Jones DVD" on You Tube.

I had heard about this series, but never actually seen it until I searched on YouTube. From what I've seen, the music performances are spectacular (Janis Joplin, The Who, Moody Blues, Joe Cocker, even Aretha Franklin... and more I haven't seen.) Anyone who considers themselves a Tom Jones fan MUST own this, it's the first time out on any kind of home video whatsoever! Classic Rock fans will probably want to drop the $36 on this too, it's such a unique set of performances.

I'm very excited to see the rest of each episode when I get the DVD!