IMDb > "Scooby Doo, Where Are You!" (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Scooby Doo, Where Are You!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Scooby Doo, Where Are You!" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A Classic Cartoon

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
8 July 2003

This is definitely one of the classic series in animation. You had four kids (the hunk, the beauty, the nerdy chick and the supposed stoner) joined by a huge cowardly dog who go around solving mysteries all over the country in a green, flower covered van. This show was so funny that it still watchable today. Forget the latter versions with all the stupid members of Scooby's family (Scooby Dum and of course that insufferable brat Scrappy). This will always be a classic.

Also, check out some of the earliest episodes. In those you will see that Shaggy wasn't the coward he became later on. He was actually quite brave in the first four or five episodes.

Still a must-watch!

Author: Bluesy_T (bluethunder35@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
26 November 2001

While Disney and Warner Bros. are the kings of made-for-film cartoons, Hanna-Barbera are the kings of made-for-TV cartoons. The creators of The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, and Hong Kong Phooey; they've all been successful, but the crown jewel of their creations is Scooby Doo.

Unlike most cartoons, Scooby Doo was a smart and ingenious creation that required thinking and deep thought. The adventures of four teen sleuths and their Great Dane have been a regular viewing pleasure for years. Heck, I still watch it today. The best episodes were the first ones from 1969-72. I think they got progressively better over time because in the early ones, they didn't have enough suspects; usually, they'd only meet up with the guy who was the criminal. Later, they'd have 4 or 5 guys who could be the one unmasked at the end.

As for Scrappy, the only episodes worth seeing with him were when he's with the full cast, solving mysteries. I liked him here, because the act with Scooby and Shaggy always being frightened of every situation got tiresome; at least Scrappy would go right in, and Shaggy and Scooby had no choice but to follow him in, or Scrappy would egg them on. Only when they didn't have the full cast and were only in comic situations (i.e. all the other shows) would the show be awful.

ground-breaking

Author: jmadkins from Pennsylvania
14 November 2006

I heard that the creators wanted to have the youngsters solve mysteries that involved scary characters, but the execs found the bad guys a bit too intense for young audiences. Enter Scooby-Doo, the wacky, funny great dane. They make him the focus of the series, the counterbalance to the villains, and the rest is history.

I enjoy the many memorable lines, and contrary to what you might think, they're not just from Shaggy. They include Daphne saying to the Swamp Witch, "You can't believe everything you read" or Freddie saying to Shaggy as he's trying to get into the museum to see the Knight, "That's it, no more jack." Just a great series, especially if you enjoy the quirks and sayings of the late 60's/early 70's.

Scooby Dooby DOO!

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
5 August 2002

Scooby Doo is a classic cartoon. Now they're releasing new Scooby Doo videos, and I must say, the one I saw wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but NOTHING touches the classic. Now if there were only a real snack called Scooby Snacks:)(there're some for animals)

P.S. The episodes that came later with Scrappy are stupid. Don't watch them.

Even Though It Started 7 Years Before My Time

Author: blackarachnia2
28 February 2007

I still think that Scooby Doo is a great cartoon. There's something that's magical about the work of Bill Hanna and Joseph Babera's work that stands out in my mind and now that these animation geniuses are gone there's nothing left but the memories of my childhood when Scooby Doo made a comeback along with the Flintstones, The Jetsons, and the Gobots. I can't thank Bill and Joe enough for their work because I have a lot of great memories of coming home from school and watching their shows that they made so memorable. I appreciated a lot of the work that Mr Hanna and Mr Barbera did and what it means to a lot of people.

It's something that will be with me for always.

A very good animated series!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
11 February 2003

This cartoon was always good. It had creepy stuff and good music. I loved it when the show had guest stars. The characters are very likable! There are many versions of the cartoon but the original is the best in My opinion.If you like this animated series then check out Scooby Doo: The movie!

The one that started it all.

Author: dootuss from PA
11 November 2002

"Scooby-Doo, Where are you!" is probably my favorite "Scooby-Doo" show. Each episode featured Scooby, and the gang riding along in their van called "The Mystery Machine", and stumble into a mystery. Along the way, the gang would discover clues, Shaggy and Scooby would be eating a lot, and get scared constantly, the ghost/demon/monster/zombie whatnot would be unmasked unveiling someone that the gang encountered earlier, and that would be that for the half-an-hour of programming bliss.

I have to agree with the majority, this has to be Hanna-Barbera's CROWNING achievement, and I hope it's on for years to come (just a little less with Cartoon Network airing it too much). This gets a perfect 10!!

SCOOBY DOOBY DOO!!!!!!!!!

Revisiting my childhood!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
14 August 2009

This was my favourite TV show when I was about 10, now at 17 I still love it. I can't help it, it is a classic. This show has great animation for its time, and I find the show enormously entertaining. I love the theme tune, very catchy, and the writing is always amusing. I love the characters too, especially Scooby, wonderfully voiced by Don Messick, and Casey Kasem as Shaggy never fails to bring a smile to my face. Fred, Velma and Daphne are great too, and the villains are memorable with only 49ner being a disappointment(too obvious), from Captain Redbeard, the Creeper and the really creepy ghost of Captain Cutler, I can't actually decide which one's my favourite. As much as I like the Scooby Doo Show and most of the movies, this show will always be my favourite. 10/10 Bethany Cox.

Strange but fascinating cartoon

Author: Chromium_5 from Minnesota
2 February 2005

"Scooby Doo" was one weird little cartoon in its day, but a great cartoon all the same. Part of what made it so good was the genuinely surreal feeling of every episode. We have 4 hippie kids and their dog, totally into the 60's culture, and yet none of their surroundings resemble anything like planet Earth. Instead, they drive their groovy van into creepy landscapes consisting of green fog and dark, menacing forests. On the rare occasion when they would leave the Valley of Death and go to an actual city, they would be surrounded by abandoned warehouses and empty construction sites. Take all of this and add that spooky xylophone music, and you have one hell of an atmosphere.

The creepy Gothic settings, however, were off-put by the total cheerfulness and optimism of these kids. Fred especially was disturbingly happy ("Good job, gang!"). It is also strange that reasonably smart and well-adjusted kids like Fred, Daphne, and Velma would choose to hang out with some goofy stoner who talked to his dog (ever notice how he's the only one who can actually HEAR Scooby?). The obvious implication is that he supplied them with "Scooby snacks," but they don't seem to be as tripped out on the evil weed as Shaggy. Then again, maybe that's why they were so happy about everything. Maybe all the weird atmospheres and monsters were just hallucinations. Maybe it was all a fever dream. Who can tell? As for these theories that Fred and Velma were gay... who knows? Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. Whatever the case may be, it all boils down to 4 kids and a dog driving around aimlessly, and occasionally catching people dressed in monster suits. Weird, weird stuff, but still wildly entertaining. It is a classic cartoon that should be remembered for its weirdness.

The Best Hanna-Barbera Cartoon Series

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
18 June 2002

I have many fond memories of Scooby-Doo. It is without a doubt one of the finest series ever made despite the fact that the stories were very similar.

Each episode would consist of the gang in their Mystery Machine stumbling across a haunted house or haunted something. They would look for clues, Scooby and Shaggy would eat a lot, Scooby and Shaggy would get scared, the ghost/demon/monster/zombie would be caught and unmasked and the gang would live happily ever after.

It's one of those great cartoon set in a totally different world. Where, for instance, did the gang live? Did anyone ever see their house? What were their jobs? Where did they get the money from to fill the van up with petrol? Did their parents know what they were doing?

All the episodes were great and it was also great to see Scooby's nephew Scrappy Doo as well. This was a great series and I cannot recommend it enough. It was brilliant.

Scooby-Dooby Doo!