IMDb > "My Partner the Ghost" (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"My Partner the Ghost" More at IMDbPro »"Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)" (original title)

A Highly origional and funny programme!

Author: Phillip Westwood (p_westwood_london) from London, England
6 November 2001

This programme is one of my favourites of all time, the fantasy element of a detective ghost, the feelgood nature of the swinging sixties, the gorgeous Annette Andre playing Jeanie and the highly amusing double act between Randall (Mike Pratt) and Hopkirk (Kenneth Cope) all contribute to making this series so unique and origional. The added bonus of a very strong theme tune also adds to the programme making it in my opinion one of the best TV shows of all time.

Wonderful TV Nostalgia

Author: fleetstar from Peterborough, England
28 July 2003

I saw all the episodes when originally aired in the late sixties / early seventies. To me, then it was unmissable TV (I cannot count the times that I refused invitations because Randall and Hopkirk is on tonight). Over the years the memories faded until I noticed that amazon were selling the complete series on DVD, I have just watched all 26 episodes again. I love the acting and the way the comedy in no way detracts from the serious private eye case in question, I just wish they had made more. The recent attempt at reviving this genre by making a new series was a good chance to carry on the work, but it was an awful re-make, in my opinion the characters were just not believable.

As long as you don't expect too much from the low budget special effects department this series was Brilliant Stuff ! I will be watching it over and over.

Extremely Funny

Author: mjb442olds from New Britain, CT
1 March 2003

The last time I've seen this show was on re-runs in the 70's, approximately 1977. Hard to forget the show. Great theme song, beautiful girl, fabulous 60's, and a unique situation. To others who couldn't see Marty, Jeff was often seen talking to himself, making for some hilarious moments. I would love to see, or own, the series again.

Mike Pratt - website

Author: grahamdshaw from United Kingdom
30 September 2005

i have set up a website which features the career of the actor Mike Pratt.

he starred in the 1960s/1970s British television series "Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)".

Mike Pratt also featured in many other classic British television series during the 1960s and 1970s. He also co-wrote with Lionel Bart many of Tommy Steele's early hits (including the first British rock n roll record "Rock With The Caveman".

He also had a career on the stage with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

www.mike-Pratt.co.UK

My first childhood experience with european culture!

Author: (abiseid@bellsouth.net) from United States
18 February 2004

Randall and Hopkirk (deceased) was shown in the US during the 1970s under the name My Partner the Ghost. As a child, I remember this series with foundness and every time I think about it a smile appears on my face. I have never been able to see it again since then but I yearn to one day. Once in a while they sell the complete series for about $100 but in Region 2 (UK). I hope that I may stumble on a used version in a used DVD store. It would be like striking oil! I can't express how mesmerizing the theme was or the enticement of waiting for Saturday afternoon to come around so I could watch the episodes when I was a child. I highly recommend for everyone that has any artistic blood for european culture or the swining 60s to see the original series! They are releasing the remade series on A & E Home Video but I fear that the improved special effect will take away from the magic that great acting, wonderfully clever storylines and cheesy special effects gave me three decades ago. If you can get your hands on a copy.....buy it and watch them.

Dead good

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
17 September 2008

As a child of the 60's and 70's, I was a complete sucker for all the ABC fantasy / thriller programmes which were so much in abundance at the time. I guess it started with "The Avengers" and "The Saint", continued with "The Baron", "Man in a Suitcase" and "The Prisoner" but for me it really kicked in with the more "out-there" shows - "Department S", "The Champions" and of course this, the great "Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)". I remember having to watch it on re-runs very late at night but always thrilling to the outlandish mis-en-scene, and slightly tongue-in-cheek lead acting of hangdog Jeff Pratt and chirpy Kenneth Cope. Each episode was not unnaturally a variation on a theme, with down on his luck private eye Randall invariably taking on a case which got him into hot water and required the assistance of his partner the ghost. The plotting was always inventive, the acting engaging and looking back now of course you get the extra benefit of seeing vintage exteriors, cars and fashions - and yes, Annette Andre was a visual delight to my 10 year-old eyes. I'm so pleased to own this and many of the other series mentioned above. Haven't got round to watching them all yet (the curse of the DVD boxed set!) but as I write this, somewhere there's a voice coming through the ether saying "Only you, Jeff, only you" and I know that I will sit down one day in my dotage and view them all wall-to-wall and I know I'll forgive the continuity errors, low-budget sets and corny special effects as I happily regress again to age 10.

t.v. series "My Partner, The Ghost".. . . .

Author: axemania00 from United States
30 September 2006

I would like to first say that as a child, I really liked this series. It was unique that way, with the living and the deceased working together. Sounds a little morbid yes, but since it was a comedy, it worked well for me. It's been a long time since I've seen it but I can still remember it in few details. One thing that strikes me odd, as an adult looking back, is Martin Hopkirk was married. P.I.s usually didn't marry. It's, at times, an extremely dangerous job. Nevertheless, He married. But the relationship between the three was wonderfully warm. More than a partnership, it was a friendship. I detected a light-hearted sweetness about this comedy. I think if it were more serious,it still would have been adored just the same. Other British tele shows come to mind as I think of this one, The Saint and The Avengers. And I loved those shows as well. But this one truly delved into the extremes of life and relationships. I dig British T.V.!!!

Brilliant show

Author: Phillip (PWestwood)
23 November 2002

This is a fantastic piece of 1960's British TV. It is such a unique show, with the premise being a couple of private detectives on adventures every week, with the one snag that one of them is in fact dead, and only appears as a ghost to his ex-colleague. The show is made additionally watchable for male viewers as it stars the gorgeous Annette Andre (now i know why Benny Hill proposed to her!) Just a brilliant show allround, I wish it was video!

"The original and best!"

Author: jamesraeburn2003 from Poole, Dorset
17 October 2003

Private Investigator Geoff Randall (Mike Pratt) is aided in his investigations by the ghost of his partner Marty Hopkirk (Kenneth Cope). The latter was murdered during an investigation in the first episode, "My Late Lamented Friend And Partner". Additional characters who appear are Annette Andre as Jean Hopkirk, Marty's wife and Geoff's friend and secretary and Ivor Dean as Inspector Large, who disliked Randall when he appeared to be leading him on a wild goose chase, but Randall always came out on top in the end.

The original series ran for twenty-six hour long episodes between the autumn of 1969 and through part of 1970, it was successful enough in Britain but failed to take on across the Atlantic. The fact that it was transmitted in America under the inept title, "My Partner The Ghost" probably didn't help matters. It was the creation of writer Dennis Spooner and has gained cult status in Britain. Enough so that it was remade in the year 2000 with Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer in the Mike Pratt and Kenneth Cope roles, but the less said about this the better! The original may have laughable special effects by todays standards (i.e very visible wires on objects apparently moved by ghosts), but at least you had a good story and fine acting. In the remake it's quite the reverse, all special effects, rubbishy acting and no comprehensible storyline.

The original series has a very special place in my heart because I used to look forward to watching the re-runs on BBC Two every Friday evening. This would of been around 1994 when I was eleven, so even though I wasn't around when it was first aired, I still have the distinction of seeing the original before the so called remake three years ago!

See It Now

Author: TheUmbrellaCorp from Birmingham
11 February 2002

I was 9 when Randall And Hopkirk was fist shown on T.V, and never thought much about it at the time, it was just another crime series, then I grew up, and couldn't belive what I'd missed all those years ago, now Re-released on DVD this is a real must see, must buy.