Monty Python's Flying Circus (TV Series 1969–1974) Poster

76 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Hilarious, strange, funny, peculiar........
watto1249 September 2001
"Monty Python's Flying Circus" is a blast. Plain and simple. Seeing an episode will cause the following symptoms: Laughter, tears, jaw aches, voice-loss(all of above caused by laughter). Most will laugh, some will just sit there at its silliness. Well whoever you are, give it a try. You either love it or hate it. Me? I love it.

50 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silliness to the extreme!
bat-530 May 1999
Any episode of Monty Python will reduce one to fits of laughing that will produce bouts of tears that will render the viewer on the ground. Great physical comedy on all parts, but especially John Cleese in the Ministry of Silly Walks sketch, which is his least favorite sketch. Great writing that walks that fine line between genius and silly, and meshes the two. These guys also knew when and how to start end a sketch. Still funny thirty years later, wish the same could be said about Saturday Night Live. Too bad there wasn't some knight who could hit Lorne Michaels with a chicken.
40 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
even when you think you know all of what the show is about, a surprise comes round the bend
MisterWhiplash24 November 2006
I still need to see more of Monty Python's Flying Circus to make my un-official official declamatory mandated professional amateurish stated opinion on this, but this is quite the nifty little show they put on back in merry old England. A lame joke I tried for at Python humor, but really, once you see the show, and see at least a few episodes, you'll know whether it's the right kind of intelligently un-hinged absurdity for you. I didn't warm up to it at first, I thought it was maybe too smart, in a way, through its silliness to be taken much seriously, as the jokes are not of the common kind. But after getting in through the films, and seeing many a varied skit with the guys, I'm looking forward to seeing (and being able to quote to other people) the best they got.

It's partly a stream-of-consciousness style show thanks to Terry Gilliam's spectacularly crude animations (through cut-outs mostly, and spoofing either classical paintings, architecture, movies, and of course dancing teeth), part social satire through various skits of people going into shops (Parrot), jobs, arguments (want to argue about an argument), the police, criminals, movies, sports, old ladies, politics, and other sorts of good diddies on all things in life. There's also the most random bits of comedy ever to come out of the 20th century, and I can only think of the basic things that might have you wanting to check it out. I love short skits, like the classic fish-slapping bit (there comes the BIG fish, heh), and over-the-top voices (Michael Palin, I think, does some of the best ones, like an introduction he does to a skit that reminded me of one of the voices in the Holy Grail trailer), and deranged costumes, and the richness of the silly dialog. Sure a skit might not hit the mark, but then I could them come back to it days later and be laughing about things not laughed at the first time around.

There aren't too many, if much at all, conventional punchlines- the brilliant stuff comes in the random barbs that shoot up in the lines and the deliver, in a look that Cleese or Chapman might give at one point or another, or the lack of something that ends up coming around later in the bit, or maybe not. There's absolutely no shame in how tasteless some of this can get, be it with topical issues or just the little things everyday we tend to take for granted, but a tasteless sensibility without any net to fall on that's appealing. And, of course, the Lumberjack song and ministry of silly walks and . Bottom line, if there could ever be one with Flying Circus, if you think it's just stupid little goofy gags and skits going on, watch out for how rich the words fly out (err, in Circus-like fashion) the mouths of the Pythons. It's the mightiest heap of the inspiration-turned-ludicrous comedy to be found on any TV show. Other favorite skits: 'Most Awful Family in Britain', 'Self-Defence Class', 'Word Problem', and 'Kilimanjaro Expedition' among others.
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Monty Python's and their unique brand of humor
manoj agrawal7 September 2005
A gentleman (John Cleese) enters a pet shop and wants to register a complaint that the parrot that he had bought from that very boutique just half an hour ago was in fact a 'dead parrot'. The owner (Michael Palin) tries to convince him that the Parrot, a Norwegian Blue, was not really dead and was just resting. The argument continues and gets sillier and sillier until an army colonel (Graham Chapman) pops out of nowhere and stops the sketch abruptly because it was getting very silly. If this kind of humor doesn't interest you, read no further and plan on watching something else. But if it does and if you have not seen Monty Pythons Flying Circus you haven't seen nothing yet.

Monty pythons pretty much invented and perfected their unique brand of humor which can be categorized as 'surreal'. One can argue that 'the Goon Show' was the archetype for Monty pythons, which is true, but then Monty Pythons took it to territories that had never been explored before. They created a world where you can get a government grant for silly walks or buy an argument in an argument clinic. A world in which a father and son could have the age old "romantic vs. a simple coal miner" argument, just that in this world the son is a regular coal miner whereas it's the father whose head is full of useless novels and poems. Just like the Beatles they took something and created something completely new out of it. The comparison is valid because Monty Pythons at their peak enjoyed the status of any of the rock stars in those days (including groupies) and the Beatles, George Harrison in particular, were their biggest promoters.

Terri Gillian's stream of consciousness art work is pretty bizarre and holds all the sketches together. John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Michael Palin, Eric Idle and Terry Jones play all the characters (including women's) themselves with dead seriousness. This is insane humor at it's brilliant best.
31 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The First 'Alternative Comedy' Show?
ShadeGrenade10 September 2006
I loved 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' as a youngster, even though, strange as it may seem now, I used to be frightened by it. Unlike say 'The Frost Report', the show was not actually about anything. Each episode had the look and feel of a nightmare; we saw terrible sights such as heads lopped off with razors, people puking their guts out, ten-ton weights falling on people, and human brains consumed with spoons. It was a brave person who stayed up late to watch this show. Characters would often cross over into different sketches, such a knight who kept hitting people with a rubber chicken, and 'The Colonel' who demanded items be terminated if they were too silly.

The Pythons, as if you did not know, were John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam, and Eric Idle. It was an inspired collection for a comedy team; Cleese and Chapman were good at sketches in which there was lots of verbal abuse, Palin and Jones excelled at items which sent up film genres, Gilliam provided some disturbing animations, while Idle contributed well-written skits involving word play.

In the first season, each episode opened with a bedraggled Palin emerging either from the sea or jungle to issue the following warning: "Its...". Flowers would then climb the screen, their petals opening to reveal the name of the show, to the strains of 'Liberty Bell' by Souza. The very first show kicked off with a sketch in which a city gent ( Jones ) asks a Yokel farmer ( Chapman ) just what his sheep are doing up in the trees. The farmer says that they have realised that their lives consist of standing around and waiting to be eaten, so they have decided to do something about it. We then cut to two Frenchmen ( Palin and Cleese ) in berets who demonstrate the commercial possibilities of flying sheep. From the reaction of the audience, its clear they are baffled rather than amused. 'Python' took time to catch on, but when it did, the public could not get enough of it.

Season 2 is generally thought of as the best. 'The Ministry Of Silly Walks', 'The Spanish Inquisition', 'The Piranha Brothers', and 'The Semaphore Version Of 'Wuthering Heights' originated here. Clips of the show were regularly requested on 'Ask Aspel', a children's show hosted by Michael Aspel.

After two excellent seasons and a movie, plus a couple of fun German specials, 'Python' went into decline, and John Cleese's departure was the final nail in the coffin. Season 4 was the last. Fortunately, the team reunited to make movies which, if anything, were funnier than the show, particularly 'Life Of Brian' ( 1979 ). The last one - 'The Meaning Of Life' ( 1983 ) ended with a clip of the title sequence of the very first television show, taking 'Python' full circle. Chapman's death in 1989 closed the door on Python for good. A brief reunion in 1999 - 'Python Night' - was a disaster, with Eddie Izzard unwisely trying to stand-in for the deceased star.

I must squeeze in a quick mention of lovely Carol Cleveland, with whom I was madly in love in the early '70's. Her bra coming off at the end of 'Scott Of The Sahara' had a profound impact on me!
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A letter of complaint
sngbrd3917 February 2006
Dear Sir,

I am writing to complain about the silliness known as Monty Python's Flying Circus which plagues my television. The "jokes" are silly and pointless, and the sketches never have proper endings. I demand that this programme be removed from telly at once and replaced with programmes that are truly representative of the glories of British humour, such as Keeping Up Appearances and the BBC World News.

Sincerely, Col. Arthur von Gambolputty-Dinsdale of Ulm (deceased)

(Warning: This letter does not reflect the true feelings of the reviewer, who is a huge fan of Python and thinks that the above-mentioned gripes are the very reason that the show is awesome. The comedy still holds up after over 35 years, though several of the costumes and haircuts do not, and the mixture of zany oddball non sequiters, intellectual references and satires, and ingenious physical comedy makes Python something very special and unique. Viva Python! And remember, !las llamas son mas grande que las ranas!)
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How can anyone not like Monty Python?
wishkah720 January 2001
Monty Python's Flying Circus is superb British humor at it's best! All the Monty Python movies were excellent, too! My favorite actors in this are John Cleese and Eric Idle. I have my older brother to thank for getting me into this show! I got into Monty Python at the ripe old age of 11. My brother was watching it one day, and I asked him if I can watch too. He gave me his okay, and after I saw the delirious humor of this, I quickly became a fan! And watched it everytime it came on.

I also own some Monty Python cassette tapes and my brother has some on vinyl! I have far too many favorite Monty Python bits to name,some of my faves are "The Lumberjack Song", "It's the Mind", and "The Bishop"! And who can forget that caveman who can only say, 'its'? Also, anyone remember that one about the self-defense class involving a 'Poi-ted stick'? Pure timeless classic! Monty Python cracks me up all the time! Even if you're not in a good mood, watching this will put you in one!

I highly suggest this to anyone who is a stickler for British humor. Also, watch their movies: The Holy Grail, And Now for Something Completely Different, and The Life of Brian. I give Monty Python's Flying Circus 5 out of 5 stars! Watch it if you can!
32 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Circus is On...
JohnnyJohnHildegaard6 April 1999
Monty Python's Flying Circus is a show with great comedy. It's so weird anything could be done in it. Like selling an albatross, or having a knight hit you with a chicken... It's so hilarious, you'll drop right off. It's a very classic show for people with British taste. The movies were good... but it never made a benchmark like the TV series did. People... get off trashy Saturday Night Live and try "Something Completely Different"!
33 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A staged and carefully crafted presentation of absurdity and chaos
BroadswordCallinDannyBoy30 September 2006
The original sketch comedy show that has a very deserved cult following.

It's... hilarious. It's... absurd. It's... very hard to describe, because it is so freakin' random! Almost every little sketch takes such bizarre twists and turns into something completely else that you'll literally never see it coming. Terry Gilliam's innovative, and equally absurd, animations are no different in their appearances between sketches. Often serving as transitions, but really this is just one side-splittingly funny compilation of sheer absurdity.

Poking fun at just about everything that you could possibly imagine - talk shows, courts, daily life, the Spanish Inquisistion, the military, etc... - and it is all put together in a way no less random. Skits end unexpectedly, some shots are used many times, random characters appear only to speak one line, and all that makes for what is quite possibly the best crafted presentation of absurdity and chaos ever made. 10/10

Not Rated and suitable for most viewers, but very cautious parents will undoubtedly object to the crude humor.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beating everything out of the meaninglessness of everything.
piedera31 March 2014
It is hard to put into words how much I like the "Flying Circus". Born just some years after it was produced, I can still remember how my whole class at school watched a replay of it on German TV at the end of the 80s (it was fortunately not dubbed, just subtitled) and we were always re-enacting the jokes the day after... Fortunately we had teachers who were also into Monty Python, including our English teacher who let us watch their movies. Now, almost 25 years later, they continue to make me laugh. But having grown up and having become a little bit more educated now allows me to produce an even sillier interpretation of their work. The thought underlying everything they did was basically that 99,9% of the things we humans do is practically meaningless. May it be starting or following a religion (Brian), undergoing expert treatment (Confuse-a-Cat Ltd. - a brilliant sketch), politics (Silly Walks) etc. And what made them even better is that they also took on the past with WW2 (the deadly joke, Hilter in England) and their medium TV/cinema in itself. Brian kidnapped by aliens - an early parody of science-fiction, isn't it? All this combined with to-the-point acting, sharp observations and top-notch writing - they were decades ahead of their time. If this did not deserve a 10/10 rating, I would not know what else.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
pantomime horses
flyingcircusfreak20 April 2005
Monty Python's flying circus is possibly the funniest comedy sketch of all time. Eric Idle is personally my favorite. Full of completely random sketches including 'full frontal nudity', people having 16 ton weights being dropped on their heads, and pantomime horses. Starting in the 1960's, I think I can safely say that their has not been a better comedy sketch before or since. I recommend the earlier episodes, especially Episode 12: Upper Class Twit of the Year. Now I must warn you: DO NOT WATCH IF YOU ARE NOT SILLY! I'm pretty sure I've never seen a sillier show. But nonetheless, it is funny. I'm supposed to have ten lines of text, and I need one more. So here it is.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Six intellectuals who revolutionized comedy with mostly weirdo characters
policy13418 March 2005
The Python group has been written about to death and their show is either seen as totally ingenious or the stupidest thing to ever be aired. My personal view is the former although some of the skits can be tedious and stretched out too long. Long before the wholesome, politically correct American sitcoms flooded European television you could actually get away with broadcasting this show which had sex, blood and violence (not graphic but more suggestive). John Cleese has often commented that very little censorship was actually enforced during previews of the show.

Like most fans I think the parrot sketch is hilarious but it is not really my favorite. I can't really think of a favorite sketch I have because there are so many I find hysterical. One of them is the interview of Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson which is some kind of parody of those boring art shows, where the man in the chair is supposed to be really respected and everybody is supposed to praise him. The Pythons like to poke holes in those people's arrogant facade and they are especially vicious when it comes to chartered accountants and religious organizations. I could go on forever describing the "meaning of Flying Circus" but I think the answer is very subjective. The only way is to judge for yourself. I cannot say that all people will find the show funny and it is not really a show for people who only like toilet humor like the Farrelly Bros. films. I will close by saying that the show is such an institution that "pythonesque" has been included in Oxford's dictionary much to the dismay or joy to the Pythons. Who knows, with them you can never be sure.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
High praise wouldn't do them justice
robot-cat14 February 2004
I first saw this show in 1981 when I was 10 because my mom thought PBS was airing a circus(bless her ignorance). The episode was the one with Scott of the Antarctic, the one where the lady runs down the beach and loses articles of clothing to cacti. I was hooked. Wacky comedy and scantily clad lady, a boy just starting puberty couldn't ask for anything more. By the time I was 15 I had seen most of the episodes, all of the films countless times(plus Time Bandits and Yellowbeard, which I saw in the theater), and owned half the audio tapes. My sense of humor was permanently warped.

I've never tired of their antics, and if anything they've become funnier as I've aged. I'm extra greatful to these fellas, because without their comic genius we surely wouldn't have the brilliance of The Kids in the Hall and Mr. Show.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More classics per episode than most shows manage in a lifetime
Jimmy Vespa30 March 2006
How do you begin to describe Monty Python's Flying Circus? Carefully! To begin with, it takes all kinds of comedy genres, verbal, observational, satirical, visual, physical, absurdist, surrealist, lowbrow, slapstick, cerebral and just about anything else, and aims this rich mixture full-force at the world in general, not just hitting but destroying all its targets, however insignificant or po-faced they are, from suburban mothers to deranged vicars, cannibalism to the Royal Family, wildlife documentaries to dead-end jobs and all points inbetween. This might not sound too revolutionary nowadays, but at the time it was VERY new indeed, and the Pythons upset just as many people as they delighted, including their paymasters at the BBC. Although the first series was high on great sketches, it felt slightly creaky and amateur, but by the beginning of series two (the Spanish Inquisition, the Ministry of Silly Walks, Ethel the Frog exposes Doug and Dinsdale Piranha, the New Gas Cooker Sketch etc), the team were dazzlingly confident and the classic moments started rolling in. Too many to list, in fact - "Is your name not Bruce, then?", height-obsessed archaeologists, woody and tinny words, Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days, Denis Moore, the most awful family in Britain, Ken Cleanairsystem, the Cheap-Laughs, Njorl's Saga, Colin Mozart the rat exterminator, "are you suggesting eating my mother?", the dirty vicar, the urine donor, free dung from the book club, Mr and Mrs Git...I could go on and on, in fact I already have. But if you care about surreal and edgy comedy, you should check out this classic series, it was the grandfather of them all!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant, innovative comedy
grantss30 January 2015
Brilliant, innovative comedy. Possibly the greatest comedy series of all time. Certainly the most influential, iconic and quoted.

Season 1 was great, but not their best. Still experimenting and finding their feet, it had some great sketches, but nothing as iconic as what was to come.

Season 2 was where they really hit their straps. Most of their well-known sketches are from Season 2: Piranha Brothers, Ministry of Silly Walks, The Bruces, Spam, The Spanish Inquisition, Scott of the Antarctic.

Season 3 was more of the same.

Season 4 was where they tapered off. John Cleese had left and the creativity just wasn't anywhere near the levels of Seasons 2 and 3. No wonder it was only 6 episodes.

Timeless comedy that has become embedded in culture. It's that big, brilliant and important.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Must-see
Alexander Stemkowski7 November 2007
The guys absolutely kept me rolling on the floor through the 1st season, then I got used to their humor,and there were just stable laughs afterwards. Some episodes are more weird or language-based,some are Chaplin-like ,some are very smart and political,but with each one of them extremely well done.Never seen anything like it,being 29 already. Each actor has a range of personalities but every now and then they put on quite a different role and shock again. For instance,Cleese actually tends to be more aggressive,Idle is very English-joking,but can keep silence during the whole sketch to the same effect. I love the Circus!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Six goofy Brits in clever drag...
r9132517 May 2006
The mythical Monty Python and its crew of merry misfits were so far ahead of their time that Einstein would have dropped by for a visit had it not been for the absurdity of it all!

What can we learn from their outrageous sketches and movies?...People are absolute cads, and no one celebrates the idiocy of mankind better than the masters of lunacy themselves. Their comedic indifference to the everyday foibles of humanity is an irreverent bitch slap to social conformity associated with mindless adherence to outdated moral clichés and profanely bland status quo.

Whether engaged in post menopausal b*tch fest, Olympic silly walks, village idiot antics, incentive game shows for communists, plopping fetuses in tow for scientific research, or exploding at a restaurant table near you, no one has captured the essence of human folly better than John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin. On behalf of the twisted Brits, if you didn't understand the punchline, well then p*ss off!

P.S. - * indicates item originally censored by this site. In tribute to Python, host should refer most attentively to this commentary.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sid Caesar creation
caspian19785 April 2005
Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin are by far the funniest people ever to fall off the island of England. What Python did for other great national sketch comedies like Saturday Night Live, it is from earlier television roots like the early Sid Caesar show that helped enlighten future off the wall / "black" comedians to produce programming like Flying Circus. Way before their times, the 5 remaining Pythons are today are as big as the Beatles were in the 1960's. Considered legends to any comedian worth laughing at, the Monty Python gang as by far the funniest comedy group in western history. While 30 years of Saturday Night Live has been funny, Flying Circus gave equal if not better laughter. In fact, you never see a sketch go wrong. Although it is not live like SNL, to a degree it was for BBC standards in the early 1970's. Some comedy is only jokes. Python has been considered by many a brilliant way of looking at comedy. Years later, their sketches still makes people laugh. Timeless.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
groundbreaking
dragokin18 April 2014
I've talked to a gentleman from the UK who witnessed the original TV broadcast of Monty Python's Flying Circus. It has been a mind blowing experience. Although i've discovered it a couple of decades after the gentleman above, i can only share his feelings.

There is no need to underline the importance of Monty Python's Flying Circus for today's comedy. After all, it has spawned several movies and innumerable copycats. It followed in the footsteps of the Marx brothers and absurdist comedy, for example Hellzaappopin' (1941) and unleashed talent in the comedy world and opened new fields of entertainment.

The only criticism i might have is that it created a safe haven for semi-talented individuals who make whatever they want a name it comedy, in the similar way that surrealism influenced mainstream art of the twentieth century.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
And now for something completely different
Artimidor Federkiel29 June 2013
Among the many things Monty Python has anchored in the collective consciousness of late 20th century TV viewers is the perfect formula on how to make a perfect transition from one thing to the other with no logical link whatsoever - and use considerably fewer words than in this introduction. Clearly the Pythons were ahead of their time with innovations like this. Or by beginning a show at its end, leading up to a breathtaking start. Or by glorifying canned meat into something ubiquitous and inescapable by writing a song about it - the product that would give the daily shocking content of our e-mail inboxes a proper unmistakable name. Or by aborting a sketch due to exceeding silliness, by continuing after the credits have rolled or by introducing artful, however out-and-out off-wall animation as just one of the many ingredients in order to go for something completely different. Monty Python swims against the tide of the typical punchline laughs. It stands for the perfect cross between surrealism for humor's sake, for encompassing absurd comedy somewhere between triviality and existentialism, with a tad of innuendo-laden references (wink, wink, nudge nudge, say no more), functioning also because it hit a nerve back then in 1968 and hasn't lost any of its cultural relevance almost 50 years later. Nowadays, when people are reading reviews for the lack of having anything better to do, they might not expect the Spanish Inquisition to show up (nobody does!). But they just did, and that's thanks to Monty Python - the guys who also wrote the killer joke where 13 people looked at two words and had to be sent to the hospital. Dangerous stuff!

It's a sure bet that you'll still find people whistling Sousa's military march for no apparent reason for many years to come. Even when the members of this incomparable comedy troupe are gone to meet their maker, are pushing up the daisies, have rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. Whatever you do, the Pythons are a great reminder that the last laugh is on you. I'm sure that was what occurred to Graham Chapman as well when he participated in his own funeral and the rest of the gang just made a high caliber comedy show out of it, Python style. Can't kill them, I tell ya.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So much sidesplitting humour in this classic series from an extremely talented comedy troupe!
Electrified_Voltage2 December 2010
This is the groundbreaking BBC TV comedy series that introduced the world famous Monty Python. I first heard of the comedy team at a very early age, but wasn't too familiar with their work for a long time. I knew of a few sketches, but really started to get to know Python in 2005, when I was nineteen years old, which was when I first became familiar with all the members of the troupe, watching many episodes of this show and the movies which the comedians made afterwards, and laughing a lot! I have now seen every episode of "Monty Python's Flying Circus", originally aired from 1969 to 1974, and some comedy may wear thin on me through time, but that most certainly hasn't been the case with the humour of this particular group!

This is a sketch comedy show featuring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin, and Terry Jones, the six official members of the Monty Python team. It also features many parodies and bizarre concepts! Five of the group's members regularly appear in sketches, each delivering lots of silliness and insanity, while Gilliam, the British troupe's sole American member, only appears sporadically on screen but is responsible for all the bizarre animated sequences, which are featured in every episode and really fit in with the live action sketches! The show sometimes features guests for smaller roles as well, not always just the Pythons appear, and when the female characters are not played by any of the Pythons in drag, there are real women who play them, most commonly Carol Cleveland, who appears at certain points in the majority of the show's episodes and can be referred to as the seventh Python.

In my experience, I've found that no matter how good a sketch comedy show is, not ALL the sketches can be that great, including this show. For instance, I don't think I've ever found the tape recorder up the nose very funny. However, "Monty Python's Flying Circus" still features enough hilarious sketches to make it a masterpiece, with the man with three buttocks, the dead parrot, the homicidal barber sketch and very famous "Lumberjack Song" that follows it, the job interview, newlyweds trying to purchase a mattress, the Git family, the argument clinic, silly disturbances, and so many others, WAY too numerous to mention! Terry Gilliam's animated sequences can certainly be major highlights as well, and he could sure be creative with those cutouts he used for them, many of which he got from Victorian-era photographs! All official members of the Python troupe showed their amazing talent in this sketch comedy series, and I should also give credit to Carol Cleveland. Even though she wasn't an official member of the team, she kept getting roles in the show due to her comedic talent, which she certainly deserved, and is definitely worthy of the "7th Python" label!

Sadly, one of the legendary Pythons, Graham Chapman, died of throat and spinal cancer in 1989, when he was only 48 years old. This tragic death occurred the day before the 20th anniversary of the day on which the first episode of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" was originally broadcast! I was only three years old at the time of Chapman's death, so I was obviously unaware of it at the time, but finally learned about it sixteen years later, as I had just discovered how funny Monty Python was. That was when I discovered what a great comedian Chapman was, like the other Pythons, and how understandably missed he is. He contributed a lot to Python's humour with his talent, in a comedy franchise which obviously can't please everyone, as some people have been put off by the troupe's extremely silly style, but the work that the Pythons did together was very influential and has clearly made so many people from different generations laugh, and will hopefully continue to do so for generations to come! Cheers to Monty Python and R.I.P. Graham Chapman!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A masterpiece of contemporary western comedy.
gazface16 August 2010
For me as well as for a great many other semi nerdy and amateur intellectual kids, Monty Python's Flying Circus was more than just another comedy show. It was a part of our academic and intellectual development, because mind you, Monty Python is by no means your everyday slap stick/fart/pie in the face humor (although they do feature an advanced and hilarious pie in the face sketch!) and is definitely not enjoyed by "the masses". They have served as an inspiration to many comedians and been copied by numerous others and will continue to be watched and enjoyed forever, in spite of the fact that the show is from 1969!