IMDb > "Love, American Style" (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Love, American Style" More at IMDbPro »

A Product of Its Time

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
26 October 2003

This show is definitely a show that worked for the era it was produced in, the late 60's/early 70's. This show came out at the height of the sexual revolution and could have easily been called "Lust, American Style". Each episode pretty much was about the same thing, men and women in constant pursuit of each other. Also, the most memorable trademark was the ever present brass bed. However, despite the emphasis on sex there were a few more touching episodes in this series. One that comes to mind is an episode in which an old man creates a sculpture of his deceased wife on the anniversary of her death and the angel of death (played hilariously by Soupy Sales) comes down to inform him that he is about to die. At the end of the episode, there is a shot of the old man, who has become a statue himself, holding his wife's hand. This was perhaps the most moving episode from one of the wildest show's of the early 70's.

love, Love, LOVE!

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
22 February 2002

I haven't seen this show since the late '70s, but I remember it fondly. The one thing that really sticks out in my mind for this show was the theme song, and the big brass bed that was the trademark, and appeared in nearly every episode short. It used to play at 10pm on Fridays up until 1974, and it was truly missed when it was cancelled. It would be nice if the original pilot movie was available on video, but until then I just have the memories of a show from a great bygone era of TV.

excellent anthology comedy t.v. series during its time

Author: ernest c. barnes (erniebarne@aol.com) from san diego, california
14 August 1999

during the early to mid seventies, i looked forward to Friday nights on ABC to tuning in on the first and only comedic anthology series featuring a slew of well known actors, writers and directors. it's sad that the attempted updated version recently shown wasn't as successful as the version from the seventies. what the world needs now are series such as these in a world full of violence. Although the premise of the show was silly, it did have it's romantic overtones in a funny type manner which most of all the vignettes were family oriented, which i think was one of the keys toward its popularity. i personally enjoyed viewing performers Charles Nelson Reilly and Louisa Moritz to Flip Wilson and Gail Fisher. it would be nice to have it return more often in reruns or on video tape.

Pop-Culture Icon

Author: Roland-Salazar from United States
25 February 2005

As most mentioned, this was a moment in time not to be repeated again. Definitely a show that stood out as pure fun. I recall vividly seeing this show with my other brother and sisters. The instant we would see the still photos at the introduction to the show we knew it would be funny. I think we were too young to realize it had an adult theme (we thought love was too mushy) but we watched anyway! As soon as we saw someone like Joanne Worley in the beginning credits we knew it would be hilarious. We always like the busting fireworks at the end and who can forget the theme song?! Lovvvve American Style that's you and meeeeeee!!!!

The end of my childhood

Author: olderbutwiser from United States
11 November 2008

With Boy Scout meetings getting over at 9:30 during Fridays from age 11-16(1967-1972) I missed the Partridge Family, Wild Wild West, Room 222, and Brady Bunch during their original runs(have seen most Brady Bunchs since but not the others which were never rerun fixtures). However, I remember walking into house on Friday night to see a big American Flag, Fireworks, and a pleasant song and would sit down to watch not knowing anything about Love, sex, girls etc. I did not mind it, and would love to go back to see now what I saw then, and would like to envision what my 14 year old head was thinking about all the changes that were to come over my life in the next 20 years. Bravo Love American style and I always love that "Love and the Happy Day" story where the combination of American Graffiti(great movie) and Grease combined to resurrect this little short into a 10 year TV show.

Love American Style Needs to be on DVD!

Author: sgolla32 from United States
19 February 2006

Having been born in the 1970's, I still recall my parents watching this and other 70's shows like it all the time. It's harmless in content, and in its day it made an otherwise turbulent world feel safer. Here we are in more times of turbulence; it would be nice to have this show back. They just don't make'em like that anymore! It's nice to be able to sit down and laugh at the ridiculousness of a show and forget your troubles outside your front door. It would be nice to have this show on DVD! How come it got tossed by the wayside? The Brady Bunch, which was much less popular at that time, is on DVD- All 5 seasons now! Though truly I loved the Brady Bunch, and am a member of one of the many ubiquitous web rings, I really think it was a much more ridiculous show than Love American Style. It's not fair they forget about this classic.

Delightful, unique comedy anthology show.

Author: sonya90028 from United States
9 August 2009

I fondly recall watching Love, American Style, on Friday nights as a kid. Watching it was a pleasant conclusion, to my Friday TV viewing before my bedtime, when the 11 O'clock news came on after the show. This show was the first anthology show on the air, during the 70s. Another great anthology show called Night Gallery, premiered a year after Love, American Style.

Love, American Style was a delightfully entertaining show, that could be enjoyed by all ages. It's premise, was based on the ups and downs of love and romance, in America during the late 60s/early-70s. Each episode lasted an hour, with different mini-episodes within the hour time-frame. I thought it was especially clever that short, hilarious comedy sketches, were included between each mini-episode.

This show had marvelous comedy actors in each episode, such as Stuart Margolin, Alice Ghostly, Flip Wilson, Arte Johnson, etc. These and other actors appearing on the show, were some of the most superb comedians in show business. This factor was what made Love, American Style so much fun to watch, during the entire run of the series. If you like warm, light-hearted classic comedy shows, then you owe it to yourself to enjoy Love, American Style, on DVD.

YOU CAN BE A HOPELESS ROMANTIC

Author: jamesre from CAVE CREEK, ARIZONA
19 August 1999

I loved to watch the original LOVE AMERICAN STYLE. It reminds me of the Love Boat. You can get to see your favorite cast members plus guest appearances by some of the more famous bit part actors and actresses. Some years back a cable channel played 24 hours a day of LOVE AMERICAN STYLE. I found myself up all night to catch my favorite episodes. I think there was enough episodes to watch for a week straight and not see any repeats. If you are a hopeful romantic you will definitely find an episode of LOVE AMERICAN STYLE to suit you.

Great nostalgia for us baby boomers

Author: calvinnme from United States
27 March 2016

This show was part of ABC's Friday night line-up back when networks put their good shows on Friday and Saturdays, as opposed to today when those nights are burial grounds for failing TV shows. It was popular in the late 60's and early 70's not just because it was witty, but because it was considered a bit naughty. In fact it was put on last in the evening in the lineup and given a great big warning label - for mature audiences only. For modern viewers, this show will seem much like a precode film from the early 1930's - you'll wonder what the big deal is since by and large nothing shocking ever really happens. Like precode films it does mark a transitional period. Precodes were the last hurrah of controversial material in the movies for the next 30 years. Love American Style marked the first inroad of controversial material on TV, as bigger and bigger shocks would be required to titillate audiences until now, almost 50 years later, the show appears quaint. You just have to remember that at the time this show first aired shows such "My Three Sons" and "The Beverly Hillbillies" were the norm for hit Television. The 60's didn't really happen in middle America until the 70's and this show was part of the first wave of that transition, for better or worse.

The episodes themselves are still pretty humorous, and often you'll see failed pilots end up as episodes of Love American Style. The most famous example was a 1972 episode that turned out to be the pilot for "Happy Days", one of ABC's most successful shows of the 1970's. If you're a boomer you're bound to enjoy this show. If you are younger, it's an interesting and humorous lesson in the journey TV has taken over the years.

Fond memories

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
12 May 2015

The things from our childhood often stick with us, so perhaps I remember so many moments from this series because my brain had so much more room for stuff at the time. Yet even thinking back on the sketches I recall, they were wonderfully ingenious. I recall they were often quite funny, although who knows if I would find them so today. Even though it could be seen as a sex-obsessed sketch-comedy show, it was a show with something to say about love and often said it very well.

And so I'd just like to mention the sketches that have stuck with for the last 40 years.

An impressionist (played by Rich Little) brings a girl back to his room. He continually speaks to her as other people. She finds that weird, and insists that he talk to her as himself. He turns out to be a nebbish, and at the end she says, "give me Kirk Douglas."

A scientist wants to find the perfect way to sleep with a girl. He invents a time machine, and he keeps screwing up and then going back in time. Finally he just says, after trying many elaborate ploys, would you like to go out? She says of course, and then the time machine breaks and she's caught in a perpetual loop of saying yes.

A guy gets a date with a nude model. He's very excited. It turns out she's totally okay with getting naked, except for one thing; she won't take her gloves off. So he becomes obsessed with seeing her hands. I think he might propose to get those gloves off.

And my favorite:

As a joke (or perhaps a test), a man on a honeymoon tells his new wife that he's bald, and he hopes she can deal with that. To make him feel better, she tells him every embarrassing secret she has. At the end, he decides to shave his head every day for the rest of his life so she doesn't feel like an idiot.

There was actually a great pilot for a revival in 1999. So sad it didn't make it.