IMDb > "The Dudley Do-Right Show" (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Dudley Do-Right Show" More at IMDbPro »

For the users who don't get it

Author: hungadunga2001 from Hollywood, USA
20 August 2007

For those writers whose comments appear here who don't know the actual chronology of how The Dudley Do-Right Show came to be, the story goes like this:

Dudley Do-Right was never conceived to be the star of his own show. Dudley was one of a number of segments which constituted Rocky His Friends and The Bullwinkle Show, both of which were essentially the same program, made during different consecutive seasons starting in 1959 by Jay Ward Productions of Hollywood, CA. Jay Ward also produced the "Fractured Fairy Tales", "Peabody"s Improbable History" and "Aesop and Son" segments for Rocky and Bullwinkle.

The Dudley Do-Right Show was a repackaging of several Jay Ward-produced elements, which were distributed by a New York company called P.A.T., later to be called Filmtel and headed by Peter Piech (after whom Captain Peter "Wrongway" Peachfuzz was named). Filmtel controlled the TV distribution of the fabulously funny animated output of Jay Ward Productions (who not only made the various incarnations of "Rocky and Bullwinkle" but also "The Hoppity Hooper Show" and "George Of The Jungle").

Filmtel also distributed the rather mediocre output of New York's Total Television, Inc. Total Television was owned by cereal giant General Mills and produced "The King Leonardo Show" and "Tennesee Tuxedo and his Tales", which included the short "Commander McBragg" segments as part of those two shows (hmmm...Total Television...Total cereal...NAH! Couldn't be a connection there. How about "The Big G stands for Garbage"?). General Mills was also the original sponsor of Rocky and Bullwinkle. The reason Dudley and the Total Television segments look so similar is that the animation was filmed in Mexico by a company called Gamma Productions. Hence, people often confuse them as coming from the same production company, which they did not. Once all these program segments were "in the can", General Mills decided there was no reason to create anything new. It would be much cheaper for the cereal company to simply repackage the existing material and milk it (pun intended!) for every last dime they could.

The complete story of all this can be found in a book entitled "The Moose That Roared", written by Keith Scott (who played Bullwinkle in the live-action Rocky and Bullwinkle theatrical film). For any fan of Rocket J. Squirrel, Bullwinkle J. Moose or Dudley Do-Right, this book is required reading...if you can find it.

Great cartoon

Author: James Tindall Welch (guitar922@aol.com) from Newburyport, MA
27 August 1999

"The Dudley Do-Right Show" traveled a lot. First it was its own show, then it became a side-track on "Rocky & Bullwinkle", and now it has its own show again. I wish Hans Conreid was still alive. I would loved to have met him. If you like funny cartoons, watch "Dudley Do-Right".

The Greatest Mountie of Them All! Not to Mention the Most Inept!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
14 November 2002

Remember Dudley Do-Right? Of course you do! The bumbling Canadian Mounted Police officer who protected his Canadian Province in the early 1900's? There was Inspector Fenwick who was about as dumb as Dudley, and his daughter Nell, who Dudley was in love with. And of course, there was a villain: Snidley Whiplash. He would always be tying Nell to railroad tracks and Dudley would save her just in time!

There were other segments on the show too! There was the adventures of King Leonardo, a lion, and his assistant Odie Kaloney, a skunk who lived in Bongo Kongo. The king and Odie were always out to stop the dastardly plots of Biggie Rat and Itchy Brother. Itchy was King Leonardo's brother, which is why he was called Itchy Brother. There was also The Hunter. A master detective dog who talked alot like Foghorn Leghorn! And let's not forget Commander McBragg! He tells tales of how he founded lands and discovered the extraordinary! Most of the time he makes up his stories while other times they're true.

There was a Dudley Do-Right movie in 1999. Starred Brendan Fraser who also did the George of the Jungle movie. It wasn't very good. However the George of the Jungle movie was good! I also recommend it. In the cartoon, Dudley managed to catch Snidley Whiplash but never keep him! He usually got away or was released under Inspector Fenwick's or Dudley's ignorance. Bill Scott voiced Dudley. He's also the voice of Bullwinkle J. Moose. June Foray is the voice of Nell Fenwick and Paul Frees was Inspector Fenwick. Foray and Frees did almost all cartoon voices of the '50s and '60s. And Hans Conried is Snidley Whiplash. Scott, Conried are Frees are dead now. Foray is still alive. So in conclusion, The Dudley Do-Right Show was enjoyable. Sure the animation was crude, but it's not as bad as some of the junky cartoons on TV today! i.e. The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory! So if you can find it, check out Dudley Do-Right!

Cartoon Network bring this back!!!

Author: dootuss from PA
25 December 2002

Dudley Do-Right first appeared on "Rocky and Bullwinkle" back in the early 1960's (timeless TV), and just like all of the other sketches on that show, it was a riot. and probably the 2nd best of them all (behind "moose and squirrel" which of course is Rocky and Bullwinkle).

For those who don't know about this show (I feel bad for those who don't) the show stars Dudley Do-Right an inept Canadian mounty who protected his Canadian province back around the turn of the century (circa 1900's that is). He had a boss Inspector Fenwick who was as idiotic as Dudley. Fenwick also had a daughter Nell whom Dudley without a doubt had a crush on (If you think about it), but however, Nell had a crush for Dudley's horse who was simply named "Horse". And of course there was Snidley Whiplash who was the villian.

This show also had a few other sketches as well. There was "The Adventures of King Leonardo" which was about a lion king named Leonardo, and his assistant named Odie Kaloney (yes that's his name) who lived in Bongo Congo. The sketch followed the 2 as they foiled the plans of Biggie Rat, and Itchy Brother (whom was King Leonardo's brother, which is why he's named Itchy Brother!). Another sketch was "The Hunter" which was about a master detective canine who could be the Foghorn Leghorn of animated dogs. And last but not least, the best out of the three: "Commander McBragg". This short skectch featured the title character who would tell stories of how he discovered the extrodinary, as well as new lands. Sometimes his stories were made up, but some of them were true.

Overall, a very great spinoff show (and the ONLY ONE) off "Rocky and Bullwinkle". Cartoon Network used to air it a while back, but they don't anymore (last time I saw it was last year). They should bring this back!!

The 88 Keys that Made Dudley Famous

Author: Brian Kistler (junipearldew@netzero.net) from Austin, Texas
22 November 2000

I don't really remember Dudley Do-Right as a show in itself. I only recall this show as part of the Rocky & Bullwinkle series. In any case, I came to really appreciate this show when I was older.

I do think that it was REALLY neat the way the Dudley Do-Right show seemed to have "vestiges" of the Silent Movie Era, despite the fact that it was a "talkie". Every now and then, they would pull up a frame, with a caption, describing what was going on in the scene (with a decorative background).

Another great touch, along those lines, was the piano, that played in the background, during the entire episode. The pianist, with his/her tunes, so often evoked a "Gay Nineties" or "vaudeville" aura, so germane to the Silent Movie genre. I often found myself picturing the live pianists (or organists) who used to play, for audiences, in those old movie houses, dating back to the tens, the teens and the twenties, while I watched Dudley Do-Right!

I often wondered where Dudley Do-Right's voice came from. I always assumed that the actor, who read his lines, stole it, from someone who was famous (or from a character in radio or the movies who was popular). I am glad that that voice was used, however. Do-Right just would not be Do-Right without that manner of speaking!

It was neat that we got to hear that same voice again, just a few years later, when that same actor used it for Tom Slick (from George of the Jungle)......and Dudley's girlfriend, Nell, also reprised her voice (as that actress also breathed life into Tom Slick's girlfriend, Marigold).

Of all the shows, from Rocky & Bullwinkle, this show was the one in which music held the greatest importance. I especially like the show's "signature sign-off" via piano.

Nearly always, the piano keys would build to a crescendo of a few high notes, when the story was ending. Those few high notes would just kind of flutter there, in place, for a few moments. Then, abruptly, the final five LOW notes would usher in: Dun, Dun, Dun, Dun, DUNN!.........that would signal the close of the episode......Gosh, I nearly feel a chill running right through me, as I recall these last five notes now!.......It's like I'm ten years old, all over again!