IMDb > Yellow Submarine (1968) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A Magical Time For All

Author: domino1003 from United States
28 January 2005

Even though The Beatles don't do the voices in "Yellow Submarine," (They do a cameo at the end instead), the animated masterpiece is still a wonder to watch and still holds up nearly 40 years after it was first released. The Fab Four are recruited by Young Fred to save Pepperland from the Blue Meanies and their army. The animation is dated by today's CGI/computer standards, but it's still a mind trip. It's interesting how the music of The Beatles is incorporated in the film (Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD being the "Nowhere Man")and lines that are connected with their songs (When they are in the Sea Of Holes, John mentions that it reminds him of Blackburn, Lancashier, a reference to "A Day In The Life"). It's a film suitable for all ages and die-hard Beatles fans would want this in their collection.

Very weird, but lots of fun.

Author: Will_Scarlet from Washington, D.C.
15 March 2004

How to describe this movie, in a word? "Psychedelic!" The performance of

classic Beatle songs like "Eleanor Rigby," "Nowhere Man," "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," "All You Need is Love," "When I'm Sixty-Four," and "Sgt. Pepper's

Lonely Hearts Club Band," as well as the famous title tune, bring this madcap journey through the subconscious to incredible life. The addition of four new songs bring back memories for me of those long summer car trips listening to

the Fab Four on tape. The magical world of Pepperland, land of music and

beauty, is that precious happy state of mind we all try to reach. The future of all that is good is threatened, however, by the invasion of the Blue Meanies, a race of happiness-hating beings, representing that depression that threatens our

own peace. And who can save the world of happiness from the slings and

arrows of sadness? Why, John, Paul, George and Ringo, of course! This

beautifully metaphorical movie brings the Beatles out of the hoakiness of Help and Hard Day's Night while keeping the Marx Bros. style of the Beatles' comedic talents: Ringo, the simple, woe-is-me comic relief, George, the detached,

mystical hippy style meditator, John, the intelligent, smirking boy, and Paul, the happy-go-lucky stage-performer. The addition of the little "Nowhere Man" is a welcome addition, representing the silliness of the continuing search for

knowledge while isolating oneself from the rest of the world. I, for one, was surprised to find that these were not the actual Beatles' voices speaking. They sound so much like them! But, fear not! The Fab Four show up in person to bid us goodbye, and telling us to keep singing to chase away our everpresent blue meanies! So, just don't think that these aren't the real Beatles speaking, they are wonderful with their crisp, refreshing British humor in the style of such geniuses as Lewis Carrol and Oscar Wilde. And finally, the animation! So fantastic,

surreal and colorful you can't get it all the first time you see it! If you are a Beatles fan, see this movie!

VERY GOOD

Author: sid_viciousz_girl from Montreal, Canada
7 February 2004

I think Yellow Submarine is one of the best movie ever! This is a real cartoon! Not like Walt Disney's Anastassia ! Ok, it's very cute, but it's not GOOD! In Anastassia, or almost every WD's movie you watch 10 minutes of the movie, and you know the whole story! Plus, in Yellow submarine, There's very good songs!

Timeless

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
12 December 2003

A masterpiece of a cartoon. The 60's captured in animation. Yellow Submarine paved the way for much of the crazy cartoons we see today. You can't help but see bits and pieces of British literature dropped throughout the film. A journey into a far off land, we see moments of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien just in the first 5 minutes. The ending is s special treat where we get to see the Fab 4 talking to us, the audience. Still young, still here with us, the Beatles make an appearance as 4 care-free, easy-going boys from Liverpool. Timeless, universal, perfect. They are the Beatles!

Yellow Submarine: 8/10

Author: movieguy1021 (Movieguy1021@comcast.net) from Anywhere, USA
6 December 2003

In films, there's weird with a purpose (like David Lynch films), and then there's weird for weirdness' sake, as is the case in Yellow Submarine, based on The Beatles' hit song. Much like the odd quality of Monty Python's animation, the animation here is all completely quirky. Some things move, some don't, and some objects have things that they shouldn't have. It's all very hard to explain, but it can be compared to Monty Python by its pure comic irreverence.

The silly plot has the magical land of Pepperland, where music is enjoyed by all and everything is groovy, being overtaken by the music-hating Blue Meanies. Young Fred (Lance Percival) is sent in a yellow submarine to find help. He finds John, Paul, George, and Ringo (who are not voiced by themselves), who accompany him throughout various seas and the entire world to get back down to Pepperland. Along the way, odd things happen, puns are thrown around, and they meet a Nowhere Man named Jeremy Hilary Boob, Ph.D (Dick Emery) who knows everything.

As I refer back to David Lynch, there's a difference between enjoyable weird and just plain scary weird. While Lynch is scary weird, Yellow Submarine is just pure fun. There's no real story, everything that happens is really random, and it couldn't really be any better. The animation I found to be quite ahead of its time. The animation was so zany, so…odd, that it's memorable.

The whole movie had a real tongue-in-cheek feel to it. There are multiple puns, and much of the movie seems to be a parody. For instance, like many spy films, the yellow submarine has everything, and I mean everything, built into it. Of course, it's hard to take any movie where the bad guys are called Blue Meanies seriously, but that's a moot point.

The music is just a big compiled bunch of The Beatles' hit songs, and many of them, such as `Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds', are just filler and don't really add anything else to it. I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I know some of their songs, and I think about half of them were new to me. Sometimes they helped the movie, but oftentimes they just hindered. Not to say that they weren't enjoyable, but they were pretty worthless. Overall, if watching an animated movie that was obviously made while people were on drugs, then Yellow Submarine is your best bet.

My rating: 8/10

Rated G.

Great Music

Author: marquis de cinema from Boston, MA
19 December 2000

A mesmerizing pic that surrounds itself with astonishing imagery of upmost beauty and stylish music of relaxing pleasure. Its the best animation movie of all time. More mature and less silly then the usual one dimensional cartoons released by Disney. Yellow Submarine(1968) is about The Beatles who are sent to a surreal village in order to save the inhabitants from the blue meanies. The cinematography is lovely with its surreal use of bright colors. Yellow Submarine(1968) is one of the few animation features that I admire since its done with artistic creativity which is something that is lacking from most cartoons. A masterful combination of moving and still animation. A favorite sequence is the "Hey Bulldog" number. Another scene that is my favorite is the "Nowhere Man" number.

Imaginative - great music with good (but dated) animation

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
10 May 2003

When the musical Pepperland is attacked and conquered by the music-hating Blue Meanies, only Captain Fred escapes with the aid of his yellow submarine. Fred travels through time to earth to find Ringo out for a walk. He follows Ringo back home and begs him for help. Ringo agrees and rounds up the rest of the Beatles to return to Pepperland and challenge the Blue Meanies with joy and music.

It has been many years since I have seen this film so I decided to revisit it. The first obstacle I had to get over was my dislike for 60's psychedelic animation – of which much of this film is made up of or aspires to. I feel that it has dated very badly and that it is difficult to watch unless you accept that it is very much of it's time. Once over that obstacle then there is much to enjoy. The plot is crazy but (as with the animation) shows such great imaginations at work behind it. There is much to enjoy visually – even if it has become a psychedelic cliché of the sixties.

The humour is very dry and matches the Beatles' wit in Hard Day's Night. Although the Beatles themselves do not provide the spoken voices for their characters (until the end) their onscreen characters are still well done and convincing. The music is the main pull I suspect and it has several Beatles hits that everyone will love. Not being a major fan of theirs, there were songs that I didn't know – but I still enjoyed these.

The film's weakness is that it is very thin on substance as the focus was imagination. As a result it does drag at times. When the music is on then it is fine, when the Beatles are bantering then it is fine, however, at other times the stretches begin to show and the material isn't good enough to hold the attention. Other than this flaw I did enjoy it despite not really liking all this hippy trippy stuff that is of the 60's and nothing more.

Overall an enjoyable bit of animation. Those who dislike the Beatles or dislike 60's animation will probably do best to avoid this but if that's your thing then there is plenty to enjoy here in this imaginative and witty film.

Move over Disney! This is a real cartoon!

Author: lartronic from Akron, Ohio.
8 December 2000

I could never take those lame Disney cartoons, so naturally after seeing this, I easily came to the conclusion that this is the greatest cartoon ever made, EVER. What would you expect from a cartoon with the greatest rock group ever (although they didn't lend their voices)? The songs are wonderful, but the thing that blows your mind is the animation. Beyond amazing, really great. I love the restored version currently on video. A complete and utter classic, a definite must see. Truly one of the greatest films ever made. For some reason Disney cartoons come off way too schmaltzy for me, I'll take this any day.

Not really a Beatles movie;

Author: larcher-2 from Virginia
3 October 1999

Not really a Beatles movie; they supplied some of the music and brief cameos. Like other viewers, I detested it when it came out, partially because it seemed to be just another rip-off of the Beatles' name and popularity. I rather like it now for its sheer loopiness. Taken seriously, it's tiresome; taken as a mere weird what-was-that? it's rather fun in an utterly goofy way.

Love the Beatles music. This? As Matt Groening says: Feh.

Author: flyrod32311 from london
20 September 2013

Hadn't seen in in 25 yrs.

Being a student of; and huge fan of animation in general(Johnny Quest being about the peak) ...and found myself in a charitable mood... and also a huge fan of the Beatle's music late 60's, when I popped the remastered tape in the VHS.... . I was truly ready for a tuned-in, turned-on, late 60's psycho-social, flower-power flashback.

That said, I found it tedious, foolish, sopho-moronic, amateurish, and.... deadly dull. I can't remember the last time I was so glad for a movie to end.

You had to be stoned out of your gourd to like this sh*t.

I give it a 1.3. Pop in "Toy Story" and be transported to enjoyable fantasy land.

I guess that makes me a Blue Meanie.

Or a jaded videophile.

Or a friend of humanity.

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]