Yellow Submarine (1968) Poster

Still Innovative, Unbelievably Colorful
ccthemovieman-115 November 2005
Over 35 years later, this is still an innovative animated film: colorful, clever and different. In fact, you'd have to look hard to find a more colorful film ever made.

The Beatles characters are fun, spouting a number of good puns and inside jokes concerning lyrics from some of their past songs. The bad guys here, the "Blue Meanies," are also fun to watch and really different from anything you've seen.

This is wild stuff which can appeal to adults even more than kids. The only improvement I would have made would have been to shorten it a bit. Even at a fairly short 90 minutes, some could have been trimmed.

The DVD is fine, except for the last 30 minutes when it gets grainy. However, the 5.1 surround sound more than makes up for that, affording the viewer to hear all these famous Beatles songs in a better format that surrounds you as a CD could never do.
36 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you think music video started with MTV, see this film...
edman5924 June 2005
"Yellow Submarine" is a great film but it's not because of the plot or even the whimsical, non-sequitur filled dialogue. "Yellow Submarine" works best as a series of loosely connected music videos that pre-date MTV by 12 years.

If you grew up with MTV and you think that most music videos consist of 80's Hair-Metal bands "in concert" or rappers in hot tubs with women in bikinis, take a look at some of the musical numbers in "Yellow Submarine".

You have "Only a Northern Song" which is presented with Andy Warhol style pop-art images. "Nowhere Man" is a whimsical, trippy, rainbow colored cartoon. "When I'm Sixty Four" is illustrated by a "Sesame Street" style numerical countdown. Even "All Together Now", for which The Beatles themselves actually appear on screen, contains little camera tricks and quick cut edits that are common tools of more recent music videos.

The two best segments in the movie, in my opinion, are "Eleanor Rigby" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". "Eleanor Rigby" uses black and white still photos of what is apparently Liverpool rotoscoped with occasional splashes of color to illustrate the dreariness of the lives of "all the lonely people." The full-color rotoscoped images for "Lucy", such as the can-can dancing chorus line and the horse running in the field, are beautiful.

If you are a fan of The Beatles, great animation, or music video, this film is for you.
31 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Inventive, hilarious, and visually extraordinary
ametaphysicalshark10 March 2007
'Yellow Submarine' is a visual stunner and an extremely well-scripted movie. There are lots of Beatles in jokes, George's fascination with Indian music and John's fascination with scientific theories are lampooned, the Beatles' power is joked about ("Nothing's Beatle Proof!") and poor old Ringo is just plain made fun of. The movie itself is arguably the most psychedelic ever made. The Beatles' descent into Pepperland is just one psychedelic scene after the other. The animation isn't great, but everything is just done so strange and fun that it becomes absolutely irresistible. The colors, landscapes, and creatures are just really different and vivid and vibrant. The songs are fit in very, very well (although "Nowhere Man" is undoubtedly the best sequence). Overall this works great as a musical or as an animated film, and there's definitely a lot of priceless, subtle dialog. I would name it one of the top 20 animated films of all time, really. Definitely worth watching, just because there simply isn't any movie like it.

30 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The greatest film ever
alexbcit21 March 2001
The music of the Beatles had galvanized an army of very creative artists who have accomplished the impossible, and created the movie that parallels the elegance and beauty of the music that inspired it. Many people feel that this film is a miracle, and I have the same feeling, especially when I'm watching it breathlessly from the beginning to its end.

Similar to the way the Beatles themselves have created many of their masterpieces, this film is the result of a "controlled chaos". Lennon remarked that many of his imagery and lyrics were just conceived off the top of his head, which is precisely the thing that gives them the freshness and spontaneity we adore. Same is with the rich and fulfilling imagery of this film -- it is obviously an outcome of the 'shoot from the hip' approach. It sounds unbelievable, but the film's ending (the most brilliant piece of all), was thrown in during one hectic weekend! Knowing this, it is not surprising to learn that the principal artist who designed the look and feel of the "Yellow Submarine" movie, almost went blind after finishing it (he set a grueling schedule of sleeping only four hours every other night during the making of the film! -- it took him several years to regain his health)

On a personal level, this film works as some kind of revelation for me. It is impossible to put it into words, but the film stirs the deepest, most contradictory emotions in me. It transcends space and time, and has the ability to bring me into the state where the regular, everyday thoughts do not apply. In that respect, it is as strong as the best Beatles songs.

Many criticisms of this movie are sadly missing the point. To criticise the animation as being jerky and unrealistic amounts to criticising Picasso for not painting more photo-realistic canvases. Misses the point entirely. To criticise the understatement-laden dialogue is to miss the finer points of comedy, insisting on the Three Stooges slapstick only. To say that the story line is incoherent is to betray the sitcom-infested mind in the sad state of commercial-induced eating disorder.

I must confess that I had approached the viewing of this film with a huge dose of skepticism. I thought it's going to look and feel lame, with a dated and naive hippy/psychedelia cliches. Boy, was I in for a shock!

My rating: 11 out of 10
44 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic For All Times! Ever
denis88811 September 2006
if this is a magic land, then this is Pepperland. If this is a magic film about this magic land, then this is Yellow Submarine. I believe, and many will agree with me on that, YS is the cleverest and most wonderful artifact of the hippie era. Here, you see no blatant drug references, no rude words, no endless acid space jams. No, here, the essence of the Flower Power time is represented as a smart, vivid, multicolored fairy tale. The idea that music may save the world and that the yellow submarine may be an escape from bleak, dull gray world is great. But even if we put this philosophizers aside, we view hilariously funny, colorful, brisk movie, with The Fab Four as a brilliant cast. And the lines! They are great, as when Ringo does exactly what the captain told him not to, or when The Nowhere Man starts his unforgettable gibberish, or when at the very end the real Bealtled appear, with all those quips and jokes. This is like a sweet, long, and very kind dream. May it never end!
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Have some nasty medicine, your blueness."
Glenn Andreiev16 May 2001
Next to FANTASIA, YELLOW SUBMARINE is one the best animated feature films ever made. We will always remember the sixties pop-art imagery along with some of the best dialog to grace cartoon-land ("I haven't had so much fun since Pompeii....""I'm a born lever puller.") not to mention some of the best music to come from the best set of musicians the 20th century has produced! This is a kid's film at heart (wild adventures in strange distant lands, weird monsters, loud over bearing villians....) My only criticism is in the re-mastering, in 1999. The song "Hey, bulldog..." is added toward the end (A scene where the fab four meet up with a bunch of the Blue Meanies' bulldogs, and defeat them with the power of music.) The scene looks hastily slapped together,like something out The Beatles cartoon series (which was hated by the real life Liverpool lads. That's why they were originally not too thrilled with the announcement of this animated film.) There is a reason why these scenes are deleted, to allow classics like this to flow so easily on the screen. Anyway, a great, great classic.
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All together now, this is a fun film
Adriane5 March 2000
I bet you're thinking, "another Beatles movie?" but that's not really what this is. A wonderfully vibrant and gorgeous cartoon, and a treat for the eye and ear. This is how vivid and bright all cartoons should be. Great soundtrack of course, and the Beatles make a real cameo at the very end. Watch if you are a Beatle fan like me, or simply if you want a fun cartoon. They did a wonderful job remastering and cleaning it up.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Tiptoe,Through The Meanies"
happipuppi131 July 2006
I've seen "Yellow Submarine" many,many times since the 1970s,when it aired on local stations and even on PBS. However it's never looked better than when I finally saw it on DVD. The colors are finally more alive than they ever have been before! No black line film scratches or film jumps.

As a boy,it was easy to get lost in this animated fantasy although the more mature underlying ideas were impossible to comprehend. The good versus evil is something most Saturday morning cartoons were made of and I waited eagerly for The Beatles and the people of Pepperland to defeat the very scary Blue Meanies.

The animation is not Disney but as The Beatles themselves are noted for saying (on the DVD),if it had been a sticky-sweet Disney type film,they'd have wanted absolutely no part of it. The whole experience is bizarre,crazy,lampooning,farcical and many other verb or adjective you'd care to add. Especially in the building with many doors!

There's even a serious tone with the addition of the song,"Elanor Rigby",which plays over somewhat somber looking pictures of Liverpool and other sad things.

In the DVD we get a previously edited scene where the guys are chased by the Meanies blue attack dogs (while "Hey Bulldog" plays over it.) This scene was done last and one can tell the animation here is not as good as the rest of the film is. This makes the scene seem slightly out of place with the rest. It's the only thing I can say about the film in a slightly un-positive light. Still,it doesn't affect my rating.

Even though it's not the "real" Beatles talking,the quick quips and one liners are still funny as if John,Paul,George or Ringo had said them.

I love when Ringo sings,"Tiptoe through the meanies",when he and the others are sneaking through the dark while thousands of them are sleeping on the ground at their feet.

The message of peace and "All You Need Is Love" may seem dated to some folks but without believing in that to some degree,one wouldn't be able to enjoy this movie. The film is a fun psychedelic fantasy but the idea of world peace and the futility of war and dominance are not.

That idea alone is enough to rate Yellow Submarine 10 stars. I also rate it that for the incredible visual aspect of the closing,"It's All Too Much" number (written & sung mainly by George) and for the funny live action/sing-along of "All Together Now" at the end.

The only one's I see not enjoying this film are those who have become cynical or think computer animation or Disney are the only acceptable formats. (END)
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a small review
saywardstudio15 October 2004
I will readily admit that I don't watch too many movies,unless I have heard good reviews about them or if it is an art film. While perusing the movies at the local library, I was attracted to the bright yellow case this movie was in. (I didn't know what it was at the moment.) Being a Beatles aficionado(sp?), I checked it out and brought it home. My husband was thrilled as he saw it when he was 5! Oh man. Get ready for a visual feast of color and sound.(and humor!) I was literally glued to the screen for the duration of the film. I mean, if you take your eyes off of it for just a second you will miss something. I love bright vivid contrasting colors so this was great, but it may hurt your eyes if you're into earthtones. I found it a great escape from reality and very light hearted. The art is fabulous. FABULOUS!!! I have seen a great many things in my life but NOTHING like this. Truly unique. Thanks for reading.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing comparable--EVER!
arbilab16 December 2006
What COULD compare? Yellow Submarine is 130,000 frames (90min x 60sec x 24 frames/sec) of classical, pop, tribute (to earlier animation styles), and original art from Da Vinci to Warhol to Picasso to Popeye to unbridled hallucination, drawn to a best-of-Python screenplay of non-sequiturs, puns, and pokes at institutions from cold-war antagonists to (governor) Reagan's paranoid National Guard deployment against counterculturists.

It's a feast for the senses and sensibilities. One can revel in the flashing, dancing colors and art styles--most of which well-shame anything Disney ever attempted and make today's phony-depth digital claptrap look like spilled esophageal reflux. The soundtrack is a condensed spectrum of the range with which Lennon/McCartney/Harrison composed, from deeply contemplative (Eleanor Rigby) to near-post-adolescent exuberance (Harrison's contributions) to silly-love-song filler showtunes (All Together Now). The dialog exchanges keep viewer's verbal senses on the edge of their seats. The theme undercurrents lightheartedly appeal nostalgically to those who were drawn to it in its theatrical release, historically to those who still wonder 'what the 60s was all about', without getting in the way of sheer artistic ebullience.

If you're an adult, it helps to like animation and British-invasion-era music (or Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Rodgers & Hammerstein, for that matter). If you're an adult watching it with your kids (there's nothing offensive), be prepared for them to groan at Disney/Pixar/Nickelodeon rubbish from then on, and say "I want more of THAT!"
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Psychedelic Perfection!
EmperorNortonII1 November 2000
"Yellow Submarine" is my favorite movie of all time! The animation is a perfect psychedelic display that would make Peter Max proud, and rival anything out of the Disney studios. This movie made me love the Beatles, and might just do the same for you. And, if you can, be sure to see the version with the "Hey Bulldog" sequence. I'd never seen that one until recently, during its revival. So that was a special bonus!
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Bonafide British Classic!
John William H.21 May 2017
Yellow Submarine is an LSD trip without the need to take the drug in the first place. It's one of the best films ever to come out of the 60s and one of the most mesmerising animated films of all time. It's got The Beatles; their classic songs; and the animation has never been recaptured in another piece of work. It's a unique time capsule from a simpler generation.

The story's basically this: the Blue Meanies are hellbent on destroying PepperLand, and eradicating music altogether. However, one sailor, named 'Young' Fred, manages to escape the Meanies in a Yellow Submarine: a magical one that can fly and probably transcend time and space for all we know. And Fred must get the help of The Beatles, Paul, John, George and Ringo, to stop the Blue Meanies once and for all!

The story is simple, but the trip we're taken on throughout the movie is exceptionally wonderful. It's oozing with Beatles joy and nostalgia. To put it simply this film is pretty damn flawless.

P.S. I'm glad that CGI motion-captured remake never got to see the light of day. It would have ruined the memory of this film.
Fun and enjoyable film with some good one liners from Max of the Blue Meanies
Robert Reynolds17 February 2015
This is an animated film built around songs by the Beatles. There will be mild spoilers ahead:

The plot here is really kind of basic. In a far off land called Pepperland, the Blue Meanies have attacked because they hate music and happiness. They imprison Sgt. Pepper and his Lonely Hearts Club Band in a globe and subjugate the people to their rule. One man, Old Fred, flees in the Yellow Submarine to find help (as the Lord Mayor says, "H is for Hurry, E is for Ergent, L is for Love me and P is for Please!").

Fred takes the sub to Liverpool and more Beatles music, "Eleanor Rigby" next, coming upon Ringo walking alone and feeling unappreciated. Fred jabbers incoherently, but Ringo agrees to help and off we go to get the other three, each making an entrance amidst rater whimsical surroundings (lots of strangeness in the house they're in, with things playing with toys and odd things going on behind doors).

Paul is last to arrive, completely up to speed on things and referring to Blue Meanies as though he knows what they are. The Beatles join Fred in the sub and proceed though various Seas which serve as musical cues as well as introducing the character of Jeremy Hillary Boob, a rather endearing if bombastic little man.

En route to Pepperland, we meet monsters, Indians, the cavalry, a Sea of Holes (where Ringo winds up with "a hole in me pocket" literally. Jeremy is kidnapped by the Blue Meanies in the Sea of Holes, which gives way to the Sea of Green and Pepperland.

Pepperland has lost all color and is now a sad, drab and gray place. The Beatles manage to make it to where the other band is imprisoned and Ringo uses the "hole" from his pocket to free them from the globe. Some of the best stuff happens in here, like a conversation between the head Blue Meanie and his toady Max. Max has some great lines here, mostly replies to questions. Jeremy, of all people, neutralizes the head Blue Meanie and the day is saved.

There's a short live action bit with the real Beatles cutting up for the camera and ending the film by singing "All Together Now". It's a very fun, if somewhat lightweight film.

This is available on DVD and Blu Ray and looks great. It's well worth getting. Recommended.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
imaginative psychedelic imagery and great Beatles songs
SnoopyStyle6 January 2015
The otherworldly Pepperland has been taken over by the ruthless music hating Blue Meanies. The people are immobilized and the colors drained. Old Fred escapes on the Yellow Submarine and recruits the members of The Beatles to bring back the music. They meet a strange creature named Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D. They arrive in Pepperland and revive the mayor. The guys go off to battle the Blue Meanies and their minions with music.

This is most noted for its psychedelic colors and imagery. The story is pretty basic with some great Beatles tones. It has the Blue Meanies and all the rest. The first hour is a meandering adventure in various crazy locations. The guys finally meet the Blue Meanies in the last half hour. It has some of the most imaginative vibrant visuals.
Yellow Submarine Yes. Blue Meanies No
stevequaltrough23 September 2014
I saw this at the time of its first release. There was some contention with the British distributors not liking the movie and it was in danger of being pulled from the cinemas. They reckoned it was confusing and no-one knew what if was supposed to be about. So as soon as it premiered in Liverpool my cousin and I went to see it immediately at the first-run cinema The Gaumont in Liiverpool City Centre. There it was paired with a gung-ho action movie called "Mozambique" and the sound was not up to standard for the start of the movie, but even these shortcomings could not detract from the fabulous experience of seeing this film. We knew all the Sgt Pepper songs off by heart and it seemed to encapsulate what the Beatles were all about at that moment in time. As for those cinema bosses in London well they were just "blue meanies". Zoom to 1999 and the Liverpool re-release of the remastered film at the Philharmonic Hall. Tribute bands were playing outside the town hall and a character dressed as a Blue Meanie was walking around. I went to see the film again. It had survived all that the cinema bosses could throw at it and was louder and more colourful than ever. It is another revolutionally piece of cinema under the Beatles name and is an absolute animated classic.
Trippy as All Hell and Just as Fun
ikrani29 March 2014
The first time I saw this movie was in 2007 when my middle school art teacher put it on for us to watch instead of taking a final exam. Admittedly, I had no idea what to make of it. I knew nothing of '60s culture or of psychedelic artwork, and I CERTAINLY didn't know about the Beatles. The one thing I remember from the movie was the really strange, surreal story in which nothing made sense and my mind cracked a little.

Now that said crack has expanded into a sizable fracture, I can tell you that Yellow Submarine is perhaps one of the greatest animated movies of all time. It tells a lot through its combination of magazine cutouts and elementary school style of art. The animation is strange and the characters' outlines are ever-shifting, like the animators completely disregarded what they drew for the previous frame and went solely on memory.

The writing for this movie is EXCELLENT. Nearly every line of dialog spoken has a touch of comedy, if not more, and practically every joke is a bullseye. One of my all-time favorite zingers appears in this movie, when Ringo is accounting for what his friends are doing in the crazy apartment-hotel-flat that they may or may not live in:

Old Fred: What are your friends doing here?

Ringo: Displaying.

Old Fred: Displaying wot?

Ringo: Displayin' around.

Even though it's not the Beatles who play themselves, the voice actors they got mimicked their inflections as perfectly as Maurice LaMarche mimicked Harold Ramis in "The Real Ghostbusters". They changed the pitch of each voice a bit to help differentiate the Beatles from each other, even though George sounds nothing like he does in real life.

The villains are… Crazy. The Chief Blue Meanie is kind of like a psychotic and totally out-of-his- mind Queen of Hearts from Disney's Alice in Wonderland (the GOOD Disney's Alice in Wonderland), and his henchman, Max, plays a good straight man to the Chief's obnoxious and high-pitched screaming. Oh, and Mel Blanc a.k.a. The Voice of Every Single Looney Tune EVER has an uncredited voice cameo as one of the Blue Meanies.

And, of course, this movie has Beatles songs. My GOD does it have Beatles songs. Forget Beatles Rock Band: if the Beatles' songs were psychedelic drugs, THESE sequences would be what hallucinations would spring to mind while we experienced them. Not only do we have the four, count em' FOUR original songs written for the movie, as well as Yellow Submarine and the greatest rendition of All You Need is Love ever recorded, but we also have renditions of Eleanor Rigby, When I'm Sixty-Four, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Nowhere Man, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, though not necessarily in that order.

Overall, I'd recommend getting into the spirit of the Beatles before watching this movie. Speaking as someone who knew nothing about the Beatles when he watched it, this movie actually made me like the Beatles LESS due to the fact that I didn't understand them. But if you're a person who loves the Beatles and hates whenever American Idol and the X Factor butchers one of their songs, then this movie will please you to know end.

All together now...
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is the Beatles at Their Best!
anthony-rigoni7 December 2012
When I first heard of Yellow Submarine, I got curious and decided to watch this movie. What's my opinion on this movie? I FREAKING LOVE THIS MOVIE! I'll admit, this movie maybe weird and surreal, but it's very creative and original!

When the Blue Meanie and his army captured Pepperland, Captain Fred, commander of the Yellow Submarine, turns to the Beatles for help. After journeying throughout a surreal sea, will the Beatles bring music back to Pepperland or will the evil Blue Meanie prevail?

First of all, the character design for this movie is awesome and unique. I was fascinated by how creative the Beatles are! There's also the great musical numbers such as "All Together Now", "Nowhere Man", "When I'm Sixty Four",and of course, "Yellow Submarine"! Are there likable characters? The answer: YES!!! The Beatles, The Nowhere Man, and Captain Fred are all likable characters. The landscape is, dare I say, surreal but out of this world! Bottom Line: If you like animation, the Beatles, and music, Yellow Submarine is perfect for you!
This film is no fiction
teledyn18 June 2009
Pepperland. A far-away fable of a land where people are charming, where string quartets of seniors can sit in the park, flowers in bloom everywhere, butterflies drift by while children dance and play in the sunshine.

You and I remember Pepperland, but it seems so very long ago. The songwriter Randy Newman puts it at Dayton Ohio, 1903. "Long ago when things could grow, the air was clean and you could see, and folks was nice to you" -- our Pepperland was a time when bandstand gazebos in public parks were put to use and the music there enjoyed by all.

The Blue Meanies could not tolerate such open joy. It irked their sense of Order and Control. They sent in the Butterfly Stompers, Hidden Persuaders, Hungry Turks, and the 10 foot barristers they called the Apple Bonkers. Music, the open and shared music commons that gave the sense of community and culture, was collected up and locked away, guarded by dogs and goons, and the cultural heroes enclosed and silenced. Soon Pepperland too was silent, cold as stone, a tear in an eye here and there the only life to be found.

But look around. This is not fiction.

Everyone decries the decay of our civilization. Pollution, crime, vandalism, distrust, lockdowns in the schools, deadbolts on the doors, the homeless everywhere, endless demonstrations, lawyers and regulators at every turn. What happened? How did we get so bonked? As Soft Machine sang, "Why are we sleeping?"

When I recruit players for our community band I tell them of Yellow Submarine. I remind them of that scene where the lads from Liverpool must tip-toe in the night, up past the guards and their dogs, their urgent mission up the hill to break into the sealed-up grand bandstand and the bandroom where the ancient brass-band gear of Sargeant Pepper's band is locked away.

"What happens next," I tell them, "is what WE do." Our job, as community musicians, is to sustain Pepperland.

Marshall Allen tells us, "If you want a better world, you must make a better music." Once upon a time, our streets, our parks and our communities were filled with music. Music we made ourselves, music we made together, for ourselves and our neighbours.

Yellow Submarine is a call to arms; you say you want a Revolution? Unlock the bandrooms, grab the old uniforms, STRIKE UP THE BAND! The Stompers, the Persuaders, the Barrister Bonkers, even the Blue Meanies themselves and their right-hand glovemen cannot stand up to the power of music to bring back the love and wake the people. We all want to change the world, but dig: what good is revolution if you can't dance to it!

By now you've already figured out I'm a huge fan of this film; it's been on my top-films since I saw it in the theatres the first time around. There is already powerful magic in this film, and this new re-release has done more magic of its own to bring the original vision into the twenty-first century. The sound is incredible, the colours astounding, and the added footage completely justified.

Unless you are buried bonked under a mountain of green apples, and especially if you are, you should commit this film to memory, because THIS is how it is done, how we get out of our current societal mess, how we get back to where we once belonged.
the REAL magical mystery tour
HelloTexas1127 April 2008
1968 looked at the time to be another banner year for The Beatles, with a lot of projects planned, a new company (Apple) to run, a double-album in the works, even a trip to India to meditate with the Maharishi. The previous year had seen 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' take the world by storm, and though 1967 ended on a bumpy note when the TV special 'Magical Mystery Tour' was raked over the coals by critics and audiences, the soundtrack to the same was very successful. No other rock band in the world could say their biggest flop to date spent two months at #1 and sold millions of copies. And somewhere in all this whirlwind of activity, practically ignored by the group, was a new feature film called 'Yellow Submarine.' It was to be a full-length cartoon, and the main reason The Beatles agreed to such an idea appears to be so they wouldn't have to be in it. The group had not enjoyed making 'Help!' and an animated film looked like the least painful way to fulfill their contractual obligation for a third movie. Others would provide their voices. The Beatles did agree to contribute four new songs, which they did, a bit grudgingly and half-heartedly. During their studio sessions at the time, if a song wasn't perceived as particularly worthwhile, a common comment was "it will do for the film." Paul's was 'All Together Now,' a catchy though inconsequential sing-along that will never be mistaken for 'Hey Jude' or 'Yesterday.' George got the honor of doing TWO of the new songs (another sign that John & Paul didn't consider the project very important); 'It's All Too Much' and 'Only A Northern Song' are blasts of psychedelia that one doesn't hear very often these days. Far and away the best of the four new tunes is John's irresistible rocker, 'Hey Bulldog,' which wasn't even included in the film's original U.S. release. Fortunately, the writers, director, and artists responsible for actually creating 'Yellow Submarine' took the project a good deal more seriously and invested a lot of creativity and hard work into it, working under a tight deadline and budget. It turned out considerably better than probably anyone, certainly The Beatles themselves, expected it to. In fact, after seeing a rough first cut, the group decided to associate themselves more closely with the movie and filmed a brief appearance for the end. The tale of Old Fred and Blue Meanies and Pepperland and a Sea Of Holes traversed by a yellow submarine turned out to be a magical one, full of wonderful psychedelic images and funny dialogue, not to mention a soundtrack full of great Beatles tunes. It was fairly successful at the box office in its initial release but was rarely shown in the years afterward (continued interest culminated in a grand remastering and reissue in 1999, accompanied by a new 'songtrack' cd which includes nearly every song referenced in the film, unlike the original soundtrack, which had only the four new songs, 'Yellow Submarine,' and 'All You Need Is Love.') By the time the movie had its gala premiere in London, John, Paul, George, and Ringo were big fans and more than happy to attend and give it a properly fab send-off. In the years since, all have spoken fondly of it. It's fair to say that of all the projects The Beatles embarked upon in 1968, nothing brought them as much goodwill with as little effort on their part as the film 'Yellow Submarine.'
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Once upon a time… far-far away… behind the iron curtain...,
Galina14 December 2007
...there lived a girl in a big city. She loved to read, watch the movies and listen to the music. Her favorite group for many years had been the Fab Four from Liverpool, "The Beatles". Her wish was to collect one day all their Albums on LPs (yes, guys, it was that long ago). She had a dream to see her idols on the concert or in the movies but it was impossible. Their movies were not shown behind the iron curtain; as for the concert, they would love to come to her country but were not allowed. Then, one day, her mom told her that in the cinema close to their house, the retrospective of the British Animated Movies would be shown and she mentioned one of the titles, "Yellow Submarine". The girl could not believe her ears. Could that be true? Did the yellow submarine travel many seas and make it to her city? Ringo, John, George, and Paul did not stuck in the sea of time; they emerged from a "Vacuum Flask to Nowhere and with the little help of a "Nowhere Man", Jeremy, they walked through the sea of holes "that stopped their minds from wondering"… The girl had to find out if it was true.

Next morning, skipping her college, she went to the theater. Looked like all college students of her city forgot about their lectures and labs, their tests and exams. Hundreds or maybe thousands of young people were waiting for the box office to open. The line was long but no one seemed to care – smiles, laughs, lively conversations and arguments on who were the greatest and most talented of four could be overheard everywhere. "The Beatles"' voices from several portable recorders were floating above the crowd. The girl hated long lines (she hates them now, too) – she had spent many hours that would combine into days and weeks of her life in lines. Unfortunately, they were the part of the reality in big city behind the iron curtain. There were two lines from that period of her life she still remembers fondly, though. First, a year before she waited for a ticket to Yellow Submarine, the world's most famous painting, Leonardo's "Mona Lisa" was brought to the girl's City's Museum of Art and for several months, the art lovers would wait for in line to see the most mysterious and celebrated smile ever captured on the canvas. Second, when she was the part of the young and energetic crowd waiting impatiently to sail with the Beatles on their ship and to help them to fight the Blue Meanies and their merciless Flying Glove.

After several hours, she finally got her tickets and the movie started. She was completely charmed and overwhelmed from the very first scene: "Once upon a time, or maybe twice, there was an unearthly paradise called Pepperland. 80,000 leagues beneath the sea it lay, or lie. I'm not too sure." d. The colors – bright and joyful. The whole movie universe felt like a bright and joyful dream produced by wild but very kind imagination. The Blue Meanies and the sea monsters that the fab four would have to fight looked like they were painted by Hieronymus Bosch in a playful and humorous mood. And then they were the songs – the main attraction for the most of the viewers. Please keep in mind that "Yellow Submarine" was made in 1968 – way before MTV and music videos but the way the songs were presented in the film, combined with the different sorts of animation, media, and cuts was pure art, pure genius, and pure joy to behold and listen to. "Yellow Submarine", "Hey Bulldog", "Eleanor Rigby", "All Together Now", "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "All You Need Is Love", "When I'm Sixty-Four", "Nowhere Man", "Only a Northern Song" – just to name few of them. The girl's favorite was "Eleanor Rigby" – the combination of still black and white photographs of Liverpool that "can be a lonely place on a Saturday night, and this is only Thursday morning" with the color pictures of its citizens, "all the lonely people – where did they all come from?" with the "saddest music in the world" was heartbreaking. She also loved "When I'm Sixty Four" – the clever and funny illustration that one minute = 60 seconds is a pretty long time and "Nowhere Man" – sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody"...

90 minutes had passed too fast. The Beatles won their battle with the Blue Meanies and returned music, happiness, and harmony to the inhabitants of Pepperland. It was time to go home but the girl did not want to. She wanted to stay on the magic yellow submarine and sail with the Beatles to where "the sky is blue and grass is green" and "all you need is love."
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"The Girl with Kaleidoscope Eyes"
Angry_Arguer2 January 2004
Superficially, 'Yellow Submarine' is dated to the early Disney least that's how it would appear from the first few minutes. What makes it great is the mixing of different animation and art styles. Why can't Disney be this daring?

This is your only spoiler warning...

Pepperland is typical. The Sea of Time is sophomoric. London resembles 'Twice Upon a Time'. The Sea of Sides is complex. The Sea of Holes is one of the most mind-boggling constructions ever. There are so many different approaches that I recommend seeing this just for the diversity. This is far more exploratory than any Disney movie sans 'Finding Nemo' and 'Rescuers Down Under'.

Then there are the Meanies. Lucas stole from their designs and from the plot for 'Star Wars'. The Chief Meanie wears knee-high boots.

Overall, you gotta admire a cartoon that has the nerve to misquote Shakespeare.

Final Analysis = = Learn from this...
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Movie has Opened My Eyes.
Brandon Stone30 August 2012
I first watched Yellow Submarine when I was 12, just out of mere curiosity of what kind of experience this film had in store for me. I've heard of the Beatles before along with some of their songs, but thought nothing of them, for in those days of my youth I would often disregard things that seemed foreign to me. But once I watched this movie, my whole perspective of the Beatles and everything from that decade changed. With it's great dialogue, colorful animation and the unique style of music the Beatles brought into the world, it has become one of my personal favorite films. Since then, I have grown to appreciate and enjoy films, music, and art that have major significance to them. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Beatles, classic animated movies, or anyone who wanted to open their eyes to anyone who wants to see what's out there, because you'll never know what effect it might have on you.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Masterpiece Of Music And Movies!
ethanthoren25 July 2012
Once upon a time, or maybe twice, I'm not to sure, I saw this amazing animated movie, a masterpiece of music and movies, the psychedelic feel is beautiful in it's on way. The music obviously is what makes it, the music is the best music of all time! Now, the animation is a little stiff, but the movie makes up for it big time! The voice acting is good too, they don't sound like The Beatles too much, but they're good voices. And the characters look great! The designs are very nice. But, if you don't like The Beatles, you won't like this movie much. But, if you don't like The Beatles, you have no taste in music whatsoever. But if you have taste, you should love this movie, even if it is a bit weird, it's still amazing!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fantastic Pop Art film, with some great music...
Sean Johnson7 June 2009
Let me just say that the Beatles have been my favourite band since I was five years old (I am 11 now), so I just had to beg my dad who is also a Beatles fan to buy this film. We searched for a very long time but a copy appeared up in somebody's car boot sale.

The film is very strange straight from the beginning, as we see Pepper Land being taken over by the Meanies, and the captain goes in his yellow submarine too Liverpool, where he finds Paul, John, George and Ringo. They go on a journey to get back to Pepper Land and fight the meanies.

It is not just the weird story that I like. The music in the film was great (obviously because it was the Beatles), and it features: Nowhere Man, Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band, Eleanor Rigby, When I'm 64, All together Now... Also the pop art is amazing in this film is great, and works well when the music plays.

All I can say is that this is a film to check out if you like the Beatles, or just want to see a great film!
Best animated film of the 60s
emasterslake26 June 2006
Yellow Submarine is a movie that even the Beattles themselves would describe it as Groovy.

The story is 100% ficitonal with stuff you wouldn't find in any other animated film.

In the land of pepperland, everything is peaceful and calm with music, colorful scenery, and crazy looking characters.

One day from the other side of the land lives the Blue Meanies a group of blue and mischievous looking characters. They dislike music and dislike anything besides the color blue, gray, and anything that's bad.

A messenger from the mayor had to go to travel on the legendary Yellow Submarine to find 4 special musicians to defeat the forces of evil.

Luckily the Beatles are just the right ones to restore peace in Pepperland.

The animation in this movie is way ahead of it's time. And what's cool is the Beatles performed and voiced their own characters in this movie. And it has a lot of cool backgrounds and extra characters like Jeremy Hiliary Boob Ph.D aka the Nowhere Man(who is one of my favorites of the movie).

A must own movie for all Die Hard and new Beatle Fans.