IMDb > Rosemary's Baby (1968) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary's Baby More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 46: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Eat Your Liver, Rosemary

Author: evanston_dad from United States
31 January 2007

Quite simply, one of the best horror movies ever made.

"Rosemary's Baby" is terrifying, and it remains terrifying every time I see it. I watch this, and then I watch what passes today for horror movies ("The Hills Have Eyes" remake is an example), and I simply shake my head in awe and dismay at how far the horror film has fallen.

Everything about this movie hits the right notes. The acting is expert, especially Mia Farrow's hugely underrated performance as the impressionable Rosemary. Roman Polanski's direction is perfect; he eschews the shock horror approach used by directors like William Friedkin and instead creates a subtly creepy atmosphere, ratcheting up the tension gradually until you're ready to jump out of your skin. The production design and cinematography are off-kilter in ways you can't quite define. And the musical score, all plucked strings and jangling piano chords (except for the sinister lullaby that opens the film), is nerve-wracking.

Because every element of the film comes together so well, this supernatural tale feels as realistic as it could possibly be, and one feels that if there is indeed such a thing as the coming of an Anti-Christ, it would happen something like this.

With John Cassavetes, superbly slimy as the sell-out husband; Ruth Gordon and Sidney Blackmer, as the Jewish grandma and grandpa from Hell (literally); Ralph Bellamy as a crooked doctor; and, most effectively, Maurice Evans, poor Rosemary's only ally.

Any number of scenes could qualify as creepiest, but my personal favorite is the one in which Rosemary uses a Scrabble game set to make sense of an anagram. I get shivers just writing about it.

Grade: A+

Polanski's first true masterpiece. An unnerving cinematic experience of psychological horror.

Author: galileo3 from United Kingdom
31 October 2006

Pray for Rosemary's Baby...

Roman Polanski's Oscar winning masterpiece of horror was the scariest film when released in 1968.

Polanski doesn't show gruesome images and brutally violent scenes. He leaves it to the mind. Like Hitchcock films.

The plot is classic. A young eager husband living in New York is dragged into a demonic world when he is promised riches from a bunch of satanists living in an apartment block in the Bronx. The only exchange... His wife's baby. The chosen son of the devil.

Mia Farrow is outstanding as the innocent mother coveted by a bunch of insane old neighbours who continuously drug her and perform rituals on her just to get her son, the son of Satan. His name will be Adrian.

Polanski's first American film is a timeless classic and one of the scariest films ever made.

"An unnerving cinematic experience"

"Chilling, dark, mysterious... A masterpiece of horror"

"Polanski proved his film-making talents with Rosemary's Baby"

"Terrifying"

Scarily Brilliant

Author: Leonie Bahri
12 September 2006

This movie means so much to me. It is exceptional in every sense of the word. It is a film that demands to be viewed more than once, and unlike most horror movies, where repeated viewing dulls the experience, this film only becomes more terrifying as you watch it again and again getting more and more caught up in the conspiracy that surrounds Rosemary.

Mia Farrow is the living, breathing heart of this movie. Appearing in every scene, her delicate portrayal of the beautifully innocent Rosemary Wodehouse provides a stark opposition to the disturbing nature of the movie's true subject. How she didn't win 1968's Best Actress Oscar is beyond me, let alone the fact that she wasn't even nominated.

Polanski's obsession with imbuing the mundane with sinister qualities has never been more effective than in this, his masterpiece (some may argue Chinatown or Repulsion as deserving that title, but Rosemary's Baby takes it simply for the way it manipulates its audience at the same time as forcing them to become emotionally involved in a truly outlandish plot). He is aided here by the film's setting, the creepy Bramford. The film begins with a long-shot of the New York skyline. Komeda's eerily melodic lullaby is being sweetly sung over the pink curly credits by Mia Farrow as the camera eventually settles on the Gothic Bramford building, nestled malevolently amongst the innocuous houses and apartment complexes of modern New York City. As the newlyweds Guy and Rosemary settle in to their newly purchased apartment it becomes increasingly obvious that every step Rosemary takes in search of a modern domestic bliss is in fact sucking her in to a nightmarishly evil scenario beyond her imagination.

Farrow is ably supported by the wonderful Ruth Gordon as the sinisterly over-solicitous next door neighbour and John Cassavetes (who famously clashed with Polanski onset) as her devilishly handsome actor husband. But Farrow is the star, and the year IS 1966, so although we never get to lay eyes on the eponymous baby, our thoughts are never far from him, his deceived mother and, of course, the lurking presence of his father.

Satanically and creepily well-made

Author: BlackVelvet88
12 August 2006

When I just heard the lullaby theme in the title, I freaked out. That theme alone was one of the freakiest thing I'd ever heard. Yet, I didn't know what was to come; the la-la-la was just the starting of it. I ended up watching the best horror film I'd ever seen in my life. Before that, my fav horror film was "Jaws." No offense to Steven Spielburg, but not even that could top this masterpiece.

I was already familiar with Roman Polanski's work before, so I knew what to expect. I was wrong about expecting a good movie. "Rosemary's Baby" is so much more than that. Polanski really made every scene right and good-paced so that we'd still be at the edge of our seats to the end.

Mia Farrow was the perfect actress for the film's brave and young-motherly protagonist. She kept Rosemary's emotions and thoughts right on her face so we know what she's thinking at all times and we can actually join her emotionally in her desperate fight to save her baby from the coven. No one else could have done so.

The ending is probably one of the best climax ever filmed in history, somewhere right below "Taxi Driver." I think they made a good choice not showing the baby. Rosemary's reaction alone was enough to show that something was wrong with it. Had they shown it, all our shock would have spilled out no matter how freaky it looked and the film's macabre-less suspense would have been ruined.

The shock still continues to the very end, when Rosemary decides to accept her Antichrist son. She wanted this baby her whole life and she's going to love it, even if it's the son of Satan. Everyone would gasp at this and think that surely she doesn't know what she's doing, but she does. And this makes the film's theme be not about religion or good and evil at all, but just that a true mother's love must reach beyond all obstacles, even a relation to evil itself.

Flawless

Author: Gafke from United States
22 March 2004

This is indeed a rare film, a sublime masterpiece, Roman Polanski's crowning achievement. Based upon the likewise-flawless novel by Ira Levin and virtually unaltered by Polanski, Rosemary's Baby is a work of art, a classic which stands alone to this day, never to be surpassed.

Everyone knows the story by now; Mia Farrow is the sweet and innocent Rosemary Woodhouse who, along with her actor/husband Guy, finds the perfect apartment in New York. Despite a disreputable history, it seems the catalyst of good fortune for the happily married young couple. Their friendly, if somewhat brassy, neighbors are played to absolute perfection by Ruth Gordon (who received an Oscar for her efforts) and Sidney Blackmer. Despite some foreboding nightmares and the unfortunate accidental (?) death of a young woman, life is good for Rosemary and her husband, whose acting career seems to finally be taking off. But there's always a price to pay for good fortune. Unbeknownst to poor Rosemary, her husband has literally made a deal with the Devil. Shortly after a romantic dinner, some chalky chocolate mousse and the mother of all nightmares in which Rosemary is raped by a beast whilst her neighbors and husband look on, Rosemary discovers she is pregnant. But the pregnancy is a difficult one, her neighbors are not what they seem and the inevitable closes in around her over the course of nine long months time. Rosemary comes to believe that she and the baby are in danger, that her baby is a potential sacrificial victim for a coven of witches. The truth, however, is much, much worse.

I've always thought of Rosemary's Baby as the blackest of black comedies, and of Rosemary as the butt of a very long and drawn-out practical joke. Fans of modern day horror films, used to gory death scenes and disposable heroes, will probably not appreciate the pace at which this film moves or its wry sense of humor. This is indeed a shame, because this film is everything that a good horror film should be; intelligent, subtle and almost rather dismissive of its own brilliance. The films climax is practically shrugged off by the characters who have brought it about. And Rosemary finally realizes that perhaps the only way to beat them is to join them; there is no fiercer predator than a mother defending her child, and as she accepts her role as the Mary of the Profane, we must wonder; will she triumph after all?

I've hesitated to review this film for a long time, simply because I couldn't think of anything to say about it that hasn't already been said. It's a masterpiece, a work of art, an inspiration for many films to come, some good and some not so good. It continues to loom large over the genre, virtually untouchable and yet always accessible. No fan of film - horror or otherwise - should miss this. It truly deserves every word of praise it has ever earned.

Roman Polanski directs one of the greatest, if not the greatest suspense/thrillers of all time!

Author: (famsmith@swbell.net) from Dallas, Tx
9 December 2000

Sometimes a film comes along that redeems the art form that is cinema. Rosemary's Baby is one of those films. In Rosemary's Baby the cinematic content is the priority, the auteur understands what is important is not the story as it is seen on paper, but the story as it is told visually. Polanski proves in this film that when he is on top there is none greater. Polanski takes a remote locale to create in a sense a claustrophobic atmosphere, and understands both cinematography and the audience so well that he uses a barrage of imagery to play the audience like a violin creating a response of pure terror. However, the amazing thing about this film is that it does even the little things so well. For example, this film contains the best dream sequences I've ever seen. True, Hitchcock created some of the most fascinating and artisitc dream sequences visually, but none of them came nearly as close to creating what the dream state is truly like. Many directors lack a sense of daring, they are so worried about appeasing the audience that they cease to challenge them. Polanski challenges the audience ten times a frame, he creates outrage by allowing chaos to reign, and displays complete disregard for structure/order as the primary priority. Polanski has always struck me as a balance between a director of the French New Wave style and a student of Hitchcock which supplies him with an amazing combination of freedom and precision. The performances in this film are outstanding all around. Polanski to me is one of the few directors who is completely fearless when it comes to taking risks. I don't believe I've ever seen another director who possesses and expresses such dual qualities so effortlessly. Polanski feels no obligation to tradition, but simultaneously has an enormous amount of respect for the masters who came before him. There is also a great balance between the fantastic and the realistic in this film, drawing a very thin line between both, and forcing the audience to question the fantastic realities and the realistic fantasies. They say that the great artists know the rules, but can get away with breaking them because they realize that it is something far beyond rules that makes their medium what it is, and I can think of few filmmaker's who exemplify this to same extent as Polanski.

One of the greatest horror movies

Author: bd74 from USA
8 October 2000

Whenever I watch this movie, I nearly forget that this is a horror movie. It's because this is such a well-made movie...there is actually a story in this movie and it is told in a captivating way. Nonetheless, the director, Roman Polanski added just the right amount of suspense and shock to make this a definite horror film. He did not need to include any gory or intensely graphic scenes in this movie. Yet, the movie is scary enough. This movie stars the great Mia Farrow in an awesome, amazing performance. Angel-faced Mia, turns in a marvelous performance as the tragic heroine, Rosemary. It was quite a feat for Mia, who was only 22 years old when she made this movie. She's wonderful as the leading character in this movie, and her transformation in the movie from a doe-eyed beauty to a gaunt waif is startling. John Cassavetes also does a good job playing Rosemary's ambitious husband who's willing to sell his soul to achieve success. And, Ruth Gordon is superb as their eccentric, devil-worshipping older neighbor. You can't help but feel for poor Rosemary. She initially believes that those closest to her are people that she can trust. Little by little, she discovers that all those people are plotting against her, and that she's basically on her own. It's horrible to know that she's surrounded by all of those occult-practicing people, yet she can't really do anything about it...she can only accept it. One of the best things about this movie is the editing--I really liked the way that certain images were superimposed on some of the scenes. It was like seeing a collage come to life. The editing is especially noteworthy during the rape scene. The rape scene is outstanding, frightening, and spellbinding all at the same time. It's also worthy to point out that sometimes music can do a lot for a movie. If a movie is good, the right music can make the movie even better; it can set the appropriate mood for the movie. That's the case with this movie and it's theme song, "Lullaby". Overall, "Rosemary's Baby" is a terrific movie. One of the greatest horror movies ever made, and one of Roman Polanski's best movies. **** out of ****.

This is classic Ira Levin.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
13 August 2005

It doesn't suffice to call "Rosemary's Baby" a horror film; that implies something corny. "Rosemary's Baby" is anything but corny. It is actually creepy. The plot of course has weak-looking Rosemary Woodhouse (Mia Farrow) getting pregnant and discovering that the father is Satan; Rosemary's husband Guy (John Cassavetes) is colluding with Satan-worshipping neighbors Roman (Sidney Blackmer) and Minnie Castevet (Ruth Gordon) so that he can get a part in a play. This has the very distinct Ira Levin feel in the way that "The Stepford Wives" and "The Boys from Brazil" did: everything looks normal, but as the story progresses, you begin to get the feeling that something's not right, and then you find out the horrible truth.

Here's something that I noticed about the movie (maybe it was just a coincidence): the name Roman Castevet. The first name brings to mind director Roman Polanski, and the last name brings to my mind John Cassavetes. But like I said, that's probably just a pure coincidence. I think that my favorite scene is when Rosemary is playing with the Scrabble tiles and finds out about the connection with Adrian Marcato.

And one more thing. This might be the only thing in the whole movie that gives it a slightly non-horrific, even remotely silly flavor: the woman who played Elise Dunstan was Emmaline Henry, better known as Amanda Bellows on "I Dream of Jeannie". Ruth Gordon later co-starred with an "IDOJ" cast member in 1976's zany "The Big Bus" (which co-starred Larry Hagman). Well...

The Scariest Movie Ever Made, If You're Catholic/Christian

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
15 March 2005

It was 1968. Director Roman Polanski made his American debut in cinema with this film which would turn out to be his best and the most frightening horror movie ever made. For Polanski, cynicism and a bleak world view became a trademark. He had lost his parents in the horrors of World War II concentration camps. His wife Sharon Tate, pregnant in the summer of 1969 (exactly a year after this movie's release) was brutally killed by the crazed Charles Manson cult. Prior to Rosemary's Baby, Polanski had tackled horror films with "Repulsion" starring Catherine Deneuve and the slightly more comedic "Fearless Vampire Killers". So what makes Rosemary's Baby so frightening ? If you're a Christian/Catholic the credibility of this film is extremely disturbing, even blasphemous. The theme of the film is that evil wins over good, that Satan triumphs with the birth of his Son, and that God is dead. "Is God Dead ?" reads a headline in Time Magazine which Rosemary picks up while waiting at the doctor's office. In the late 60's, with the Vietnam war beginning to rage, and with the outbreak of violence and racial riots of the Civil Rights Movement and trouble at home and abroad, (at home women were rebelling and becoming independent, the pill was out, abortion was rampant) this film seems to be a symbolic/horror manifestation of the time period. Nowadays, it seems tame, and sure enough horror films influenced by this one would emerge in the 70's- The Exorcist and The Omen Series.

This film put Mia Farrow on the map. As Rosemary, the heroine in Ira Levin's novel, she is vulnerable, headstrong and ultimately tragic. It is her maternal instincts that win out in the end. Rather than killing Satan's baby, she opts to "mother" it and let it live. This is in an ironic twist a way of saying women should always be the "mother" even in the worst case scenario. Remember Rosemary believes, even at the end, that her child is not that bad, that it has a human side and that it could be "saved". She rebels against her husband, cuts her hair very short, and wants to get her own doctor. Rosemary represents the modern woman of the late 60's, looking hopeful toward the future. The past, with its mystery, evil ignorance and darkness, is represented by the ambiguous characters of the next door neighbors Roman and Minnie (Ruth Gordon). Are they well-meaning neighbors or are they really Satanic worshipers ? So many nightmarish, surreal elements make us believe it's all some kind of drug-induced hallucination. Rosemary's dream, in which she is aboard a ship with the Presidential couple J.F.K. and Jackie, where a monstrous Devil appears to rape and impregnate her, is so frightening, so confusing, we don't know what's what. What exactly happened to Rosemary ? We could analyze the film for hours. The idea that this could be real is what makes this film, which is otherwise slow-paced, mannered, so frightening. Its horror lies in its psychology and philosophy. John Cassevetes is doing a terrific job as the selfish, materialistic and greedy actor who makes a deal with the Devil. Poor Rosemary. We believe her. We know she is trapped in the evil cult. It is the despair, the futility of escape that makes us most frightened and uneasy. For Polanski, this movie was his emergence into mainstream, American cinema, while at the same time an expression of his own torment.

We All Pray For Rosemary's Baby

Author: Noirdame79 from Canada
30 November 2004

A blockbuster of a movie that still holds tremendous power today, ROSEMARY'S BABY is, along with THE EXORCIST, one of the most compelling and memorable horror films in movie history. Roman Polanski's subtle direction and the naturalistic performances are enough alone to recommend this scary ride.

The plot concerns a young, naive woman (Mia Farrow, in her signature and best early performance) and her ambitious, struggling actor husband (the late John Cassevettes, ruthlessly brilliant) who rent an apartment in a Victorian building in good old New York, New York. It begins on a somewhat light note, but if you go back and look at it again, you will notice small hints that Polanski dropped. Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse become friendly with seemingly well-meaning but nosy elderly neighbors(the priceless Ruth Gordon and the courtly Sidney Blackmer). Rosemary has a violent nightmare in which she is ravished by a horned creature, on the same night (gasp) she and Guy planned to start trying to conceive a baby (coincidence? I think not). Her pregnancy does not seem to be progressing normally, and her close friends become concerned. Around this time, her husband seems to be getting his big break, and increasingly becomes less sensitive to her feelings and needs. Anyone who appears to be really worried about her or who is in Guy's way of success, becomes beset by mysterious ailments and injuries, even death. She does some detective work and learns more about her strange neighbors and her husband than she cares to know. As she attempts to escape, hoping to deliver and protect her baby, it is apparent that she can't trust anyone, not even the "dream boy" doctor. She learns a horrible, incomprehensible truth: she is to bear Satan's child!!!!!!

Producer Robert Evans called this picture, "a horror movie that has no horror in it, and it still scares the hell out of you." Truer words were never spoken. The performances are all right on target. But several unnerving and disturbing coincidences and events have made viewing the film somewhat uneasy. The now infamous Dakota apartment building (referred to as "The Black Bramford" in the film), is where former Beatle and musician John Lennon was gunned down and killed by a deranged fan. Anton Le Vey, the High Priest Of The Church Of Satan, was reputed to have played Old Scratch in the famous dream sequence, when in actuality it is Cassevettes' face the viewer sees in the close-up shot. It still is extremely creepy, as one of Le Vey's congregation members was Susan Atkins, who assisted murdering Polanski's pregnant wife, the beautiful actress Sharon Tate, in 1969 (she supposedly can be spotted briefly during a party scene in Rosemary's apartment, but I have yet to have catch a glimpse of her). The phone voice of Donald Bomgart, the actor who went blind after winning a role that Guy had auditioned for, was Tony Curtis, who worked with Sharon Tate in the 1967 film "Don't Make Waves" and who was a client of Hollywood hairstylist Jay Sebring, who was also murdered that night in 1969.

The DVD release has only improved the movie, and the featurettes are very revealing. It's also a treat to see so many veteran Hollywood actors (Gordon, Ralph Bellamy,Maurice Evans, Elisha Cooke Jr., Patsy Kelly, Phillip Leeds and Hope Summer) in such great roles. Charles Grodin is excellent in an early role as the cold Dr. Hill. As a Catholic, this movie struck a very responsive chord in me. Without a doubt, one of Polanski's best! Don't pass it up, but don't forget to pray for Rosemary's little Andy or Jenny!