IMDb > Padosan (1968) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Padosan More at IMDbPro »

One of the greatest comedies of Indian Cinema

Author: Deepshika from Boston
12 April 2003

Padosan, who hasn't heard of it? Well if you are one of those unfortunate souls who hasn't, I feel terribly saddened for your state. You my friend, need a good lesson in Indian Cinema. I suggest you start by watching this film.

Padosan, which means 'Neighbor' is the story of Bhola (Sunil Dutt) who li ke his name is a very naive and innocent soul who happens to see Bindu(Saira Banu) and falls in love with her. He later finds out that she is his neighbor. We find out that Bindu is enamored with music and into the picture comes her music teacher, Masterji (Mehmood) who aside from being a bumbling fool who speaks in Tamil accented Hindi, is also in love with Bindu. So back to our Bhola bala hero. He tries to woo her but to no avail until he enlists the help of his friend and mentor Guru (Kishore Kumar) who owns an acting troupe of which Bhola is a part of.

After much investigation, Guru and his friends discover that Bindu's soft spot is music. But unfortunately our Bhola is quite the novice when it comes to singing, sounding more like a braying donkey than a singing suitor. And so begins one of the whackiest cons in cinema. Guru sings, and Bhola lip-syncs. Guru's (Kishore Kumar's) voice being what it is, bewitches Bindu and she starts falling for Bhola. This development thwarts Masterji's master plan of marrying Bindu. So now begins a jugal-bandi between Masterji and Guru (ahem Bhola) for Bindu's affections.

With such a whacky plot, there are laughs aplenty. Add master comedians Mehmood and Kishore Kumar and a funny looking Sunil Dutt, you have the perfect recipe for a hilariously whacky romantic comedy. Saira Banu, oozing of charm is quite good as the spoilt Bindu. Music is also excellent. R.D. Burman masterfully comes up with songs fit for the situations. The most famous of all being "Mere samnewali khidki mein" which is hummed even today. "Meri chatur naar" is extremely fun to watch and kishore kumar's vocals are excellent. All this making Padosan an exquisite classic that MUST NOT BE MISSED!!

Moments of bliss

Author: VirginiaK_NYC from New York, NY
15 January 2003

The most delightful thing to me about this light comedy is the "invention" of playback singing as a seduction strategy for Sunil Dutt. His Guru in the movie is a director of what appears to be neighborhood Mahabharat dramas, with pan juice usually dripping toward his chin, played by Kishore Kumar.

Sunil wants to be able to sing to impress the sexy neighbor girl -- but he can't -- so Kishore comes up with the brilliant idea that HE will sing out of sight, and Sunil will -- well, picturise the singing! Fantastic idea!! Which generates wonderful scenes of Sunil picturising seductively while we also see Kishore hopping around behind him singing the songs. (I imagine Kishore is actually playbacking himself here, so it's a great Bollywood-y hall of musical mirrors.)

Kishore also sings and dances a number in which I believe he is doing a ladies' dance, playing the part of the beloved, as part of the enterprise of coaching Sunil in his love quest. His comic talent and body language are spectacular. I''ll probably buy this one just to watch this scene 1000 times. ~Virginia in New York

ETA: Nov. 16, 2006 - I just read an interview in which Shah Rukh Khan names this as his favorite movie comic scene. (Current Film Fare Magazine.)

Well, the cake has to be distributed amongst all!

Author: narayan_l_k from India
11 March 2005

This is a hilarious and fantastic plot and producer Mahmood has truly justified the quote below the film title 'The first ambitious Motion Picture'. It is a splendid performance by one and all concerned with this film.

Rather than the film's heroine Saira Banu, the film focuses on the duel of wits between her two suitors Mehmood and Sunil Dutt, who is helped by his Guruji Kishore Kumar (doing an imitation of Popol, a famous Bengali artiste) with a floppy middle-partitioned hairstyle and paan stained mouth. Mehmood has excelled as the South-Indian music and dance teacher, with mannerisms such as clutching the hems of his dhoti and the oft-repeated 'aiyo'... One of the high points of this film is the 'Ek Chatur Naar...' during which Mehmood's harmonium gets stuck, making him mumble, 'ennaiya idu... (in Tamil) (meaning, 'what is this') Buy this DVD and have a good laugh!!!!!

Indian comedy up top!

Author: jsataluri from United States
3 August 2005

After reviewing this film over and over again, I feel I have to make a lot of changes to this post again.

Without a doubt, this is one of the best Indian comedies joining the list of Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, and AAA (the latter two which I haven't seen). The oldies were the true meaning of Indian cinema and this was one of them. Led by 3 comedic aces, Om Prakash, Mehmood and Kishore Kumar (my favorite singer by the way), a buffoonish Sunil Dutt and a irritating Saira Banu and you have a farce! A farce in its own right! Bhola (Sunil Dutt) is a young simpleton living with his pedophile uncle (Om Prakash). He follows the Prem Shastra book very serious, until he realizes that he has wasted a year of married life and must get married before it's too late. Suddenly the line begins to shake and he thinks he's caught a fish. Only he's fished out a girl named Bindu (Saira Banu). He falls head over heels for her only to be pushed into the lake!! Later, he discovers about his uncle's pedophilic ways and disgusted, leaves to live with his mami (aunt).

Next we go to Bhola's best friend, Vidyapati aka Guru (Kishore Kumar) and his wacky troupe (Raj Kishore, Keshto Mukherjee and Mukri) who perform dramatic plays (well in their own way I guess, making them more like farces). Bhola arrives and tells Guru about his new found love and enlists Guru's help in getting the girl.

But what Bhola and Guru don't know is that another man is after Bindu. And he's in the form of a South Indian Sangeetham Masterji (Mehmood) who teaches Bindu music and dance and wants to get married to her. And Bindu is attracted to Masterji's singing voice. So Guru tries to make Bhola sing, but that fails when Bhola's voice is worse than a donkey's! Then BOOM! Guru comes up with a great idea and tells Bhola to lipsinc while he himself sings (seeing Kishore singing for Kishore singing for Sunil), WAH, WAH, WAH! The plan works and Bindu finally falls for Bhola and his "singing". Who could forget the over-the-top confrontation between Masterji and Bhola/Guru?! However, the truth must be exposed and when Bindu finds out about Bhola's singing, she is enraged and goes back to Masterji. And so Bhola decides that death would be better than to remain a bachelor. Soon a fake dramatic parody of Bhola's death spreads to the wedding of Masterji and Bindu. A frantic Bindu runs to mami's house and upon seeing Bhola, she repents about what she did and that she truly loves Bhola. And Bhola springs back alive!!!! And they all live happily ever after!!! Except for poor Masterji who cries during the wedding while he plays the flute.

The first half of the film is probably the best half of the film as this provokes much hilarity in these situations (2X10/10, I could watch it forever). However, the second half brings the film down, when it becomes a little too serious and most of the jokes fall flat. But that doesn't stop it from being one of the greatest Indian comedies. I must say I haven't laughed so hard from any comedy than this one.

Sunil Dutt dumbs himself down from his overly serious roles into a buffoonish, yet kind-hearted simpleton, although he takes the role a bit too seriously and does overdo it in some scenes. Yet, this will remembered as one of his better performances. Saira Banu is decent, yet annoying and you really want to slap her in the face, but the script said she had to be irritating, didn't it? Raj Kishore, Keshto Mukherjee and Mukri are great comic support and Om Prakash's mama is probably one of his most underrated to date.

But the show belongs to Kishore Da and Mehmood and basically they rock the house. Once again Mehmood succeeds in creating a character that is so out there, you forget who the actor is. His accent is good that you'd believe that he actually did come from Tamil Nadu! The way he woos Bindu was outstanding.

Kishore Da with his hair all over the place, Bengali style, paan chewing and crazy guru takes the cake. His reactions and funny antics are one of the main reasons to watch this film. This was one of his last best known comedic performances before his singing career blossomed in 1969 and he never looked back after that.

Underrated RD Burman music right here. Not only does he create a great soundtrack, but his background score can be classified as one of his most underrated to date. Who can forget the songs Main Chali Main Chali, Saanwariya, Mere Saamnewaali Khidki Mein, Meri Bhole Balam and Kehna Hai? But Ek Chatur Naar Karke Singar, the music fight between Masterji and Bhola/Kishore steals the show. Just repeat the song over and over again and it never gets old.

I recommend this great comedy to everyone. If you haven't watched this film, you are missing out. Don't worry if you don't get it, because you don't have to! Just let the movie take you for a ride. 10 out of 10! (14 out of 10- first half, 6 out of the 10- second. It all adds up!)

King of Comedy.

Author: Herag Halli from Heraganahalli, India
12 December 2003

Mehmood, was not only a comedian's comedian. but a great actor. He left indelible mark with this movie, which will remain the Classic of Hindi Comedy. The movie was shot on Location in Mysore, where Visveshwarya the "Einstein" of India built the K.R. Sagar Dam and the breath taking Brindavan Gardens.The beauty of this movie, was the incredible casting. Sunil Dutt,was perfectly cast as the naive and stupid "Bhola" and, what a natural performance from an actor.

The newer genre of actors are pale by comparison and their mediocre talent is put on pedestal and worshiped. Rahul Dev Burman, the son of the legend Sacchin Dev Burman (Guide), created some of the best tunes ("Thumhi Dulahi" "Kehna Hai",and the greatest romantic and heart-tugging song ever in an Hindi movie "Sharm Aati Hai Magar" when 'Bindu' sings for 'Bhola' at his bed-side) for this movie, every song, is hummable immortal melody that was picture perfect on the characters, that included the greatest singing/acting talent of Kishore Kumar as "Guru". Saira Banu, who was at the peak of her career, looked gorgeous. She eventually caught the attention of the then thespian, Dilip Kumar, ending in matrimony.

The Ace, was Mehmood, with his inimitable accent and style as "Masterji" will remain forever in our memory. I would consider this movie as one of the "Top Ten Hindi Films of All Times." The only movie that would come close is "Hera-Pheri" and Paresh Rawal, is the only comedian, that would come close to the Comedic Genius--that was Mehmood.

Padosan

Author: rinks
7 March 2007

I have watched this movie quite a few times, but I think its one of the rare movies I tend to watch with equal enthusiasm every time. Although, it was a remake of a Tamil film "Adhutha Vittu Penn", I thought the Hindi version was EQUALLY amazing and not to mention immensely entertaining =) I thought performance-wise Kishore, STOLE THE SHOW! I cannot imagine the movie without him. The guy is incredible at comedy. Sunil Dutt was fabulous, I just adore him to bits, he is so underrated...he put in a stupendous performance! ROFL gotta love the scene where he attempts to learn music from Kishore...he had me in splits. As for Mehmood, he simply rocked. 'Daaaaaai' bhola . I liked his unique accent. haha. I think its imitated by plenty of actors till date and yes, its annoying to the core. Saira, well I usually find her very irritating in most of her films, I thought she was passable. The soundtrack was amazing. Ahhh...man I can just listen to them all day long. My personal favorites include kehna hai, mera samne wali ladki ne and main chali is one of best female duets sung by Asha and Lata. The movie is a must watch, it's a classic in every sense. Highly recommended! 9/10

Hindi Comedy At Its Best

Author: Shailesh-2 (shoilesh@hotmail.com) from Los Angeles
19 December 2000

Excellent performances by complete cast. Unusually funny theme. Cute actress Saira Bano. Jolly Mehamood and last but not the least a superb singing and acting performance by the great Kishore Kumar. He dominates comedy like no one else. Nobody could ever regret watching this movie.

Songs to watch out for :

"Mere saamne wali khidki me . . "

"Meri Pyari Bindu . . "

"Tum hi to layi ho jeevan me mere pyar . ."

One of the greatest comedies of Indian Cinema!!

Author: Yellow_Spider from Belgium
29 March 2005

Bhola had been very aptly named by his parents. He was a very straight forward, unlettered, village bumpkin; a young man though presentable in looks and simple at heart, yet lacking in all matters mental and artistic.

Bindu was a modern, educated, rich young miss, independent of spirit and highly accomplished in all the arts, and this is the story of how Destiny brought these two opposites together.

Bhola had been orphaned at a very young age, and had been lovingly brought up by his Mama and Mami, who had to offspring of their own. Unfortunately, though both loved Bhola in their own way, Mama and Mami had never got on well with each other, for the simple reason that Mama was old in age yet young at heart. Mami had borne with Mama's eccentricities for as long as she could, and then had separated from him, taking up a house in a different part of the city, supported by her father.

Bhola often pined for the Mami who had brought him up as her own son, and finally, when Mama again considers proposals from a match-maker for a second marriage, Bhola too leaves his Mama to go and live with his Mami.

And this is where Fate took a hand, for right opposite Mami's house lived Bindu, and it was love at first sight for Bhola, who tumbled headlong into romance at the first strains of Bindu's song, and at the first sight of her pretty face. But it was just the opposite with Bindu, who ridiculed, and felt contemptuous of the fool next door who dared to tangle with her.

Bindu was all respect and admiration for her Dance and Music Teacher, her Masterji, an accomplished Tamilian, who was quite an opportunist, by the way, and wanted to further his own romantic interests under cover of his music lessons.

Here is where Guru and his Panch Ratan Mandal stepped in. They were a group of amateur dramatic artistes, headed by the dynamic Guru, who were Bhola's best friends, and the ardent supporters of his romance.

In spite of being absolutely the opposite, the manoeuvrings of Guru and his friends from next door, slowly but gradually led Bindu to believe that Bhola was a very gifted singer, more talented in fact, than her own Masterji, who fell from grace when his cowardly and selfish nature came to light at the moment of his defeat. And thus Bhola and Bindu came slowly but surely together.

Yet the basis of Bhola's achievement was deceit, and Bindu's was a forceful and independent nature. The fraud had to come out sooner or later. And come out, it did. More sooner, than later.

Bindu decided, out of spite, to marry just anyone in the world who cared to propose to her. Anyone, that is, except Bhola.

And the proposals that came were Mama's and her Masterji's.

And now there was no way out for Bhola but to die a glorious death, a martyr in the cause of love.

And so, Bhola died! And Bindu repented!! And they all lived happily even after.

Mehmood is Masterji

Author: davo from Eugene, Oregon
24 May 2009

...yet Kishore Kumar rules. Sunil Dutt holds his own as the straight man, and the best things about Saira are her figure and her clothes. The rest of the cast is good, too, but for me the main interest was to see a film where the actors (Mehmood & Kumar) do their own playback singing, which I believe became fairly uncommon after the 1940s. These guys deliver, and steal the show whenever they are on screen. Then on top of that, Kishore's character, Guru, after Bhola (Dutt) hilariously demonstrates that he can't learn to sing, pulls a Cyrano and provides the voice for Bhola's picturizing. Then song duel with Masterji, too much, Guru working Bhola like puppet. Guru's troupe (including Bhola) are a gang of 5, working like a chorus, double-takes timed to the music. The scene where they go to Bhola's uncle to change his mind about his engagement is structured as a pretty much a cappella song. I love that. I chose this film to see Kishore work, and I feel like I picked a good one, plus I learned about Mehmood, I'm looking forward to seeing more of both of them.

a masterpiece of Indian cinema

Author: virsingh rathore from India
24 August 2010

Really this was an awesome movie, a way ahead of its time and yet refreshing.

After watching this movie yesterday i get to consider myself a fool not to watch this one till now. This was a real Indian gem and needs to be watched by every person being an Indian movies fan by heart.The most amazing character of this movie is that of Kishore Kumar playing a role of Love guru leading his guy to the ultimate goal of his love.Talking about "Saira Bano" she was looking so beautiful and gorgeous as always. Sunil Dutt was good playing a character a typical Indian by heart. In nutshell a really fantastic movie with amazing leading characters.