IMDb > The Lion in Winter (1968) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lion in Winter

The Lion in Winter More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 18: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

I loved it.

Author: (idolitor@hotmail.com) from Portland, OR
12 February 2001

But I can easily see how it's not for everybody. Unfortunately, people are afraid to write negative reviews here. Personally, I loved this movie the first time, and I still love it the tenth time. But others are right. It can be a little slow. For me, the end of a movie often makes up for any flaws or slow bits in the whole. For instance, look at the Godfather. Any slow bit in there is made up by the incredible last shot. Look at it like dinner before dessert. And the same holds true here. Most of the dialouge is quick, but there are times where you want to get back to favorite characters, not the one's you're forced to watch. But that holds true of any ensemble cast, look at Magnolia. But the conclusion of this incredible film, knowing that this is a sick game and that it will be happening again next year makes all the trouble worth it, as you learn that it was all a game, things that were said weren't really meant, so on and so forth. So I loved it, but the MTV generation might not. But hey, it's their loss.

Hepburn as Eleanor? You Couldn't ask for More.

Author: NPG from Saginaw, Michigan
28 October 2000

Katherine was still keeping up her good acting in this film, wait till you see "On Golden Pond"! Hopkins and Dalton were also in this. This movie is very good and faithful and almost word for word to the play it was based on. The film can get too talkative at times but the action and suspense make up for that. I recommend it definitely to any history buff or plain movie buff for that matter. A wonderful movie!

Just like walking back in time

Author: (peangel@iopener.net) from New York City
7 July 2000

I love this movie! The acting especially by Katharine is superb. One of her very best. The dialogue is outstanding and funny.Some of the lines are so cool.The movie is very realistic.I like it that way. Gritty,harsh,but so moving,passionate and full of life.Definitely not to be missed.

A Holiday Must-See

Author: chustle from Portland, OR
31 May 2000

I caught this movie on AMC last week. I just love when I see a great movie I had never heard of. I'm going to buy this movie and make my family watch it every Xmas. Our silly little fights will seem trivial compared to the family in this movie. At least none of my family members are trying to stab me with the knife they use to cut the turkey! The banter between Katherine & Peter makes the movie outstanding! Loved it!

Puts the "fun" in DysFUNctional

Author: rxrice from USA
21 May 2000

This film depicts how nothing has changed in family dynamics from 1183 to the present time. With all of our scientific and technological advancement, one thing remains perfectly clear: We are no better at getting along with one another than we were before the days of Christ. Our current psychology has failed miserably and we are long overdue for a new one. This film is an excellent example of the use of power and control to get others to do things they don't wish to do and how such behaviors destroy all the lives of those involved.

Every family has it's problems.

Author: Kieranmc from UK
30 April 2000

The Lion In Winter isn't history. It is however a wonderfully acidic picture of a dysfunctional family. I loved it and still watch it for the pure joy of Hepburn and O'Toole sparing like titans.

Hepburn rightly got an oscar for her role as Elanor; though sharing it with La Striesand was a bit much!

All in all this is a film derserving repeated viewings for the excellence of it's writing, acting and direction. Oh, and John Barry's music deserves a special mention.

Possibly one of the finest films ever made

Author: dh49 from Evansville, IN
1 February 2000

After I had read the stage play, I was convinced that a film version would be hard pressed to beat it. I was wrong. This film effortlessly shattered the glass ceiling and works as a truly stunning piece of film. The dialogue is neatly trimmed and flows quick and sharply. Hepburn delivers a keen and to the point performance that is fascinating to watch. A well deserved Oscar. Of the three sons, John Castle stands out as the grim, sarcastic deceiver of the lot, perfectly conveying his malice for the whole family. Hopkins is somewhat stilted in a fake looking beard, but still manages to pull a nice performance out. Particularly by the end. The only character who doesn't measure up is the son John. Not altogether his part as Goldman admittedly underwrote the part. But the shining star in this film is Peter O'Toole as Henry. He has a power, fire and reality that make him the driving force behind this picture. By turns he bellows, preens, mocks and suffers with absolute sincerity. He is always the king, and never anything but a man. I will go so far as to say that Peter O'Toole is possibly the finest actor of the second half of this century, and it is a criminal act that he was passed over for an Oscar for this picture. He delivers another performance of a lifetime out of a long string of triumphs. He is the best part of a very good cast.

"All families have their ups and downs"

Author: cooper-24
1 October 1999

By far the most brilliant line in the movie is Eleanor of Aquitaine, after the most terrific fight, dragging herself up against the wall. The understatement confirms that "all families have their ups and down". With brilliant performances from the main cast, the history is blended with some natural feelings of two powerful parents, loving and hating each other, in their fight to preserve England and France for their favourite but weak sons. The colours, the emotions and the humour returns every time you think back to this movie, but seeing the movie again brings back its overwhelming sense of vitality.

A family Christmas

Author: dennis-77 from St. Helens, UK
6 September 1999

Warning this contains a possible spoiler.

A good film even if you take it out of it's royal setting, that shows exactly why you don't want to argue with your family, they can nitpick at you because they know everything about you. That is what you get in this film over two hour of family life if you are very unlucky. Brilliantly acted by everyone even the smaller parts. A man and wife have three sons and one that is dead, the wife wants the eldest to succeed, the husband wants the youngest and the middle son gets nothing. The eldest son wants the father to like him and the middle son wants his mother to like him. The father is having an affair with another girl who his wife brought up. The girls brother is leading the eldest son on and they are all after the crown and locked in, in the same castle over Christmas. Funny in parts, tragic in others this really should be seen by more people.

This movie is a perfect 10!

Author: macavity-3 from Maryland, USA
29 June 1999

The script, the casting, the acting, the soundtrack, the set... everything perfect. Peter O'Toole gives a magnificent performance as Henry, but as great as he was, Katharine Hepburn outshines him and the supporting cast. An excellent movie, and one of my personal favorites.