IMDb > Kona Coast (1968) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Kona Coast More at IMDbPro »

Perhaps the worst film I've ever seen

Author: JCR-4 from Rome
11 February 2004

Just happened to wake up at 3am last night and went to watch satellite TV to try and get back to sleep and this came on. This film was so bad that it was compelling viewing and as a result I couldn't get back to sleep!

A quite poor script, and dreadful acting by ALL concerned, but worst of all was the plot which has been explained by previous posters so I won't repeat it here. The film attempts to potray emotion and dignity and utterly fails - not even the funeral of one of the main characters made you care. The characters are completely devoid of any depth or meaning, and you really don't give a damn about what happens to any of them.

Joseph Lashelle

Author: boblipton from New York City
26 August 2011

This unsold pilot screams "Bad 1960s TV" from the short-skirted, beehive-haired go-go dancers to the music track, which sounds like a collection of stings pulled out of the library for the NBC Mystery Movies ("Columbo", "MacCloud" and "MacMillan and Wife"). It probably was proposed for the package. Based on these criteria, you shouldn't bother.

However the main cast goes through its paces as if they are doing something real and the Director of Photography, Joseph Lashelle, offers us many a dazzling image shot in gorgeous Technicolor. Is the sky anywhere that brilliant a blue? My advice is to turn off the sound and enjoy the pretty pictures.

Relentlessly bad.

Author: yeltzmanmatt from Birmingham, England
14 February 2015

A man tries to bring the people responsible for his daughters death to justice.

Kona Coast starts badly and just gets worse. Underpinning the whole sorry mess is Richard Boone a thoroughly unlikeable lead who spends a fair proportion of the movie dressed in an alarming yellow jacket and shorts. I have rarely seen as shockingly bad a lead performance as the one dished up by Boone in this film.

An incredibly lousy script, pathetic dialogue, an appalling soundtrack and shockingly lame unbelievable characters are just a few of the flaws hurled at the poor unsuspecting viewer.

I've seen a lot of films and rarely give a film 1/10 but this mess has absolutely no redeeming qualities at all. How I managed to sit through the full running time is anyone's guess. How this appalling garbage currently has a rating of 4.9 (76 votes) is a cause for concern.

I've loved a man since you! I even married him! And then he killed himself!

Author: sol1218 from brooklyn NY
26 August 2011

***SPOILERS*** Beautiful Hawaiian photography doesn't hide the fact that the film "Kona Coast" is a dud or coconut with the coconut juice drained out of it. Richard Boone is the salty hard drinking and living Sam "The Man" Moran who takes it, life, as it comes without as much as complaining about how both good or bad it is. That's until his estranged teenage daughter Dee, Gloria Nakea, is found washed up on the rocks dead of a drug overdose. Even though Dee had no use for him, he deserted her and her mother when she was an infant, Sam made it his business to track down the drug dealer who doped her up and make him pay what what he did.

The story gets a bit lost when Sam's fishing boat is set on fire by playboy and drug pusher Kayder's, Steve Ihnat, thugs with his good friend Charlie Lightfoot, Chips Rafferty, ending up on his death bed in trying to put the flames out. Sam is given Charlie's own fishing boat the Kamai by his former alcoholic wife Kittibelle, Joan Blondell, to use as he wants until his damaged boat is repaired. We then have Sam spends almost the next half hour of running time,in the movie, to both wait for the near dead Charlie, who refuses to stay dead, to finally kick off and then give him a grand Hawaiian send-off at sea with about 20 of Charlie's friends being invited. If anything this great and boring event added enough time to the movie to qualify it to be, by being over 60 minutes in length, a made TV movie not a 45 minute episode, with commercials cut out, of Hawaii 5 O'.

Sam meanwhile gets battered around by Kaydea's goons to keep him from finding out the truth about not only who killed his daughter Dee but who's the top drug pusher on the island, Kaydea, and why he's immune from the local police. It's either because he's paying them off or their so stupid that they couldn't find a haystack in a needle instead the other way around. We do get a glimpse of Sam's shoddy past when he runs into at a local Kona bar an old flame of his Melissa Hyde, Vera Miles. Messila we learn is a recovering alcoholic who was brought back to sobriety at Kittibelle's free alcohol rehabilitation center on the island that's one of it's biggest tourist, who make up eh majority of those in it, attractions. Again were treated to what a heel Sam is by Missila digging up his past which is about as interesting as watching a blinding snowstorm in the Arctic Circle in total darkness!

***SPOILERS*** Finally and mercifully the movie comes to an end with the big shown-down between Sam "The Man" Moran & friends and the Kayder bumbling drug gang at the big rumble in the pineapple patch on and along the Kona Coast. As you would have expected Kayder and his boys were no match against Sam & Co. who ended up making pineapple preserve out of them. As well as making it possible with no worlds left for Sam & conquer, or roast pork and pineapples to eat, for the movie to finally come to an end.