Interlude (1968) Poster

(1968)

41 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Totally in love with this movie!
Anitracape29 October 2004
This movie is very under-rated! The cast is outstanding, with Oskar Werner at his best; the love-story sweet and mellow; and the beautiful music and scenery complete the heart and soul of this sweet tear-jerker. The story of an affair between a pompous orchestra conductor and a naive reporter, it will lead you through the destruction of lives from true love that came too late. It will make you laugh and cry and, perhaps, leave with a soulful remembrance of a long-lost love. Once frequently shown, it seems to have disappeared--except in fans' memories, who now wait and hope it will be released on DVD, along with a soundtrack CD. Age of this film should not be a deterrent. This is definitely a must-see for anyone who loves a good love-story! This and other soundtracks may be purchased from ScreenArchives.com for $20.
24 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely an unappreciated gem of a movie
jaygannett9 March 2005
I first saw this movie in 1968 when I was 19 years old. It struck me then (as it still does) as a very poignant story. Interestingly, it somewhat paralleled events in my own life at the time. As a consequence I found myself taking on the movie as my own. I even went and bought the soundtrack which is just beautiful. The mix of excerpts of classical pieces along with Georges Delerue's score transports me every time I hear it. I also have a copy of the movie I made from a television presentation some years ago. Interestingly, it still holds up very well today. The contrasts in both character and personality among the three main players makes for some wonderful emotional moments that highlight this age-old situation.
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Undiscovered masterpiece
lampton20 June 1999
Interlude is an amazing piece of work. Expertly cast and directed, with a fantastic central performance from the late Oskar Werner, it is undoubtedly an undiscovered masterpiece and one in which should be much better known than the multiplex crap which usually fills the cinema screen.
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Underrated movie
AndyJagusiak20 April 2003
One of the most underrated movies I've ever seen. I saw it once on cable and when I saw it in the guide again, I set my alarm so I could get up in the middle of the night to tape it. I did not trust my timer for this one. Musical score is excellent. I have to agree with some of the other comments here on the acting. Moreover, the London setting circa the 60's gives it a very distinguished aura of nobility, romance, and culture.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tortured Tear-Jerker With A Solid Cast
Michael Bragg29 June 2005
"Interlude" completely caught me off guard! Finding this film was a mistake, albeit a very happy mistake. I obtained a copy of this very rare film by sheer accident. I actually had requested a copy of the 1957 Hollywood version directed by melodrama maestro Douglas Sirk. But when this British version arrived I decided to give it a try and I was immediately sucked in by the sheer scope of its romance and truly phenomenal lead stars.

This 1960s version stars Barbara Ferris and Oskar Werner as tortured lovers who must cope with the looming presence of Werner's wife and two young children. Ferris, as the sweet and innocent newspaper reporter, and Werner, as a temperamental and famed conductor, exude an overwrought chemistry and truly make you want to see them together in light of his oblivious family.

Set to a moving theme that rivals that of the famous song from "Love Story", "Interlude" is a rare gem just waiting to be rediscovered. The direction is sensitive and romantic, yet provides moments of unabashed melodrama and scope. One of the movie's most climactic moments is choreographed to a classic piece that Werner is conducting. The ending honestly left me with a lump in my throat, just waiting for more. This is what a romantic drama is supposed to be about.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Impossible to ignore this film, yet that's what's happened.
Grant737 July 2003
Globally respected as among the top actors in cinema history (but sadly split in audience between his German language and English language films), there are too few available in English to us who want them all! The Austrian Werner, I understand was among his own worst enemies due to his drinking and fights with producers and directors, and died a sad shell of himself rehearsing for a low budget live appearance on the continent.

But what he gave us! This film is not only NOT an exception, but maybe his finest performance in a film where he was the top star and in the most scenes [unlike his other great English language roles, Spy, and Ship, and F451 (where Julie has the big part)]. Certain critics found him wooden and "method-y" in this--what a crock. I am very much in the market for a copy of this--it NEVER plays in California, even on late night TV. The sound track, and the orchestral scenes are matchless. Your heart will stop a few times--can't spoil that for you! I hope I live long enough to have a copy! Notice the agreement among all these (above) IMDB comments??? It's because all is true. If I were to continue, the superlatives would be boring (and endless). & John Cleese as an unknown, presaging exactly what MPFC was about to bring the world--he basically ad libs his (bit) go-fer role, saying he and his mates have an idea for comedy satire movies!!! But Oskar Werner. I'll stop now.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh,how I love this movie!
Bucs19607 February 2002
This is a film that few people even know exists. That is very sad because, if you want romance, tears and passion, it's all wrapped up in this neat little package. The story is told as a flashback of times gone by when the illicit love of the two main characters burned bright. Oskar Werner is absolutely wonderful as the symphony conductor who captures the heart and soul of Barbara Ferris, playing a magazine reporter. He is perfect for the part, suave, temperamental and beautiful to look at. Barbara Ferris is less suited to her role. She is not very attractive, too thin, and does not seem the type that would attract this worldly and famous man. However, as the love affair hits its stride, you tend to overlook her shortcomings and get caught up in the heat of the liaison. The stunning Virginia Maskell as the understanding wife is perfectly cast; unfortunately she died at an early age and we can only wonder how brightly her star would have shone. You will be swept away by the atmosphere of pure romance in this film. It is simply passionate! Trying to find it on tape is another matter. Search for it.....it's worth it!
24 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best movie about love and marriage.
denis.desaulniers22 November 2000
I agree with John Wilson that this is an undiscovered masterpiece. I have an old VHS copy. A famous music conductor is interviewed by a blonde journalist which looks at him by big blue adoring eyes. He has a brief, but very romantic espace in the English countryside with her. The best scene of the movie is when his wife, beautiful, intelligent and superbly played by Virginia Maskell, asks her husband to meet his new love. They meet at a restaurant. Futile talking for a few seconds. Then Antonia asks Sally if she loves music. Sally hesitates for a moment then utters: "I like music." Antonia looks at her husband for a few seconds, and the look is worth one hundred pages; she gets up and leaves, saying to her husband:"You can have the divorce. We have to talk about the children." After this pivotal scene, the film ends with Stefan meeting Sally a few years later. He had retrieved his senses and quitted the bimbo for the diamond. I wish that this movie is available in DVD. It has not aged a bit.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
PLEASE BRING OUT THE DVD ********
hotmblma15 November 2004
I saw this movie 35 years ago for a total of 5 times and I bought the vinyl LP for the beautiful classical music.

Years later, I watched it again on TV but didn't have a chance to tape it. It's a lovely movie and it's so sad that a treasure-forever DVD is not available.

Please, please, some company out there (Criterion perhaps!), please consider do a remaster on this movie and give us fans of the 'Interlude' something that we can treasure for the rest of our lives.
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I finally got a copy of this movie and wouldn't mind sharing.
acetan881 December 2001
This is the movie I took my wife to on our first date 32 years ago and I've been looking for it forever. Just got it through eBay today and I just feel great. Not only that this is a great movie, the theme song by Timi Yuro is a great tune also.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Found copy of video
trott372228 September 2004
I saw this movie on late night TV several times in the late 70s, early 80s. Then it disappeared, and I haven't seen it since. I have been watching this site and Ebay for a couple of years hoping to find a copy. I finally found it for sale from Bovine Videos. Google to get exact web site. They have a collection of hard to find films. These are copies, and they are very upfront about the quality. Interlude was described as Fair/Good with a little graininess and quiet sound. I ordered it and delivery took about a week. When it arrived I had to watch it immediately of course. I would rate the quality about that of a movie taped at the slowest speed. But, I still loved seeing it again after 20 years, and am delighted to finally have a copy.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Timeless Interlude
artfulwords22 June 2006
In 1968 I was 16 when I saw first this film. I am now 54 and have loved it ever since, having experienced enough personally to understand its poignancy. I very much miss Oskar Werner's presence on screen, and there has never been another actor quite like him. A decade after the film came out, I had the brief and unexpected pleasure of meeting Barbara Ferris in NYC and was able to tell her how the film's sweetness had stayed with me.

I have never understood why it's not been more appreciated and rarely is shown on television. Some years ago, I finally obtained a copy through someone who had taped it on cable television (but the tape finally broke from repeated viewing). Prior to that, I only remember finding it on PBS during the 1970s and 1980s. Now, thanks to a wonderful seller on Ebay, I have it on DVD as a transfer.

Though timeless in theme, innocent, yet not, it reflects the aura of the 1960s and becomes more bittersweet with age. When one grows up with such a film, it takes on each decade that passes, and always retains that crystal sensation of the first viewing. The soundtrack is as lovely as it was nearly 40 years ago - ever filled with memory, fresh and fleeting. If you search Ebay patiently enough, you will find the film and LP, and the CD through Amazon. "Interlude" is a treasure.

I posted the above in June, 2006. When I sign onto IMDb to read about "Interlude," I always find that regardless of age or where we're from, we're all bound by the magic and longing of (and for) this film. Last year, after emailing Oskar Werner's son, Felix - never dreaming my communication would reach him directly, much to my delight, I received a warm reply. Among his kind words, he indicated that he was, indeed, looking for a way to re-release the film.

"Interlude" is often with me; it is an old friend. Conversations pop up in my head, direct, loving, rich, tender, humorous, poignant streams of thought: Stefan, upon running into Sally again: "I'm glad you didn't have your hair cut short." Meeting her for the interview, "You've chosen a most dubious trade, Miss Carter." Sally, after they unwrap his gift from the antique shop: "I love the lamp, Stefan, and I love you." His reassurance when they are away together: "Just calling home to see that all is well - Sally, may I invite you to dinner?" A film flowing with adult, relevant moments in marriage, career, affairs: "And when you grow older, you will see that there's still a young man who's able to love, deeply and painful, and that he has the need for love," so comes Stefan's incredible revelation at the dinner party, immediately accented by quiet realization on Antonia's face; later, her devastation, leaving Albert Hall after seeing Stefan with Sally.

The terrible estrangement suffered during the walk in the garden, in their words, stance, stilted pose like statues on the bench; children innocently calling out "Daddy" all the while. The vital key to a life with Stefan shouts itself in stoic elegance during that fatal meeting at the restaurant. Antonia asks deftly, "Do you love music?" taking perfect aim at Sally's younger, naive soul, piercing it with precision; diminishing her.

The truest sense of loss comes full circle in Sally's apartment at dawn. Wrapped in a blanket to ward off the chill, she wraps herself away from Stefan. They are exhausted on every level: "You don't want to marry me." "I want to you marry you; I just don't want to be your wife." "I won't have it become real and spoiled." "I'm afraid instead of being what you want, I'll be what you've got." "You are a child," he gently admonishes, futility never more apparent.

I keep "Interlude" with me often, reread Donne's XVII Elegy "On His Mistress," listen to Robert Lafond's 2005 CD of the reworking of the soundtrack and marvelous title song, (including Delerue's "Rapture"), both scores soar with yearning. Tchaikovsky's First Symphony, "Winter Daydreams," Rachmaninoff's "Second," Albioni's "Adagio;" the Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Dvorak pieces from the film allow me to immerse, to feel the musical world of Stefan Zelter; and perhaps of Oskar Werner, himself, who loved music and portrayed Mozart with such devotion in the 1955 Austrian film.

When I cannot sleep and "Interlude" has popped into my head during the day, I pull out my second-generation DVD, for which I'm ever grateful, and watch on my laptop, eager to visit them again, to slip into a timeless world of "time, like a dream," made more real with each viewing (probably closing in my on 100th by now). Never growing weary or impatient with them, I still discover some nuance missed -- tonight's was the irony of hearing a salon assistant addressed as "Sally" by Antonia as the woman takes from her, her jacket, moments before Sally Carter catches sight of Stefan's wife in the mirror, who now "has a face" and is not at all what Sally expected.

In reading new IMDb comments, I learned that Oskar Werner's mother was named Stefani Zelter. A perfect fulfillment of the film.

"It's me ... " is the simplest of announcements, delivered three times: first, with a tinge of guilt, by Stefan to Antonia upon returning home after being with Sally; then, to Sally through the door when he misses her dinner and shows up late, embarrassed and defensive; and finally at the end, by Sally to her husband on the phone after Stefan has gone. She calls from the empty apartment.

"It's me" belongs to the triangle of love, sorrow and longing - each of them, onto the other. For this and all other reasons mentioned, "Interlude" remains blessedly timeless.

May, 2009
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
probably one of 5 best movies, I'll ever get to see before I die!..just awesome.
b1kontoosh20 May 2006
the love story is a very realistic scenario and can be translated to any one's viewer character and it's basically, time independent. while times change in our lives, various nature of this story repeat themselves in our lives, a reason why so many viewers feel so special about this movie.

the late composer and conductor, George De Luru, certainly did a master piece of work on this movie. the sentiment and delicate nature of the music accompanying a very beautiful lyrics, "Time is like a dream..." (best of all kind of lyrics for me...period. to my openion!), makes it something very special all by itself. I can't wait till thismovie comes back on a DVD or something to that nature, so that I get to own it. A very beautiful music and lyrics accenting a powerful, yet, realistic love story.

if this movie does stir up any emotions in you, I don't know what else would!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great love story and a very good soundtrack.
bjtish17 October 2005
I watched the movie Interlude several years ago and have often wondered why it has never become available on video or DVD. It is one of the better versions of the movie which is also called Intermezzo with Ingrid Bergman and later version with June Allyson. This version with Oskar Werner is very good and hopefully sometime it will be available. I have an LP of the original soundtrack and have played it so much it is nearly bald. Timi Yuro does a great job of singing the title tune and there are several other versions of the title song done instrumentally. Also, some nice pieces of classical music from the movie are included. I have enjoyed many of Oskar Werner's movies, and this one is so romantic, it is a shame more people cannot enjoy this very good film.
Wonderful love story
Regi2142 September 2003
This is a gem of a movie! Beautifully scored by Georges Delerue, very well cast, I saw this back in the early 70's ... Since then, I've been looking high and low for it. Oskar Werner gives a memorable performance (in my estimation, his best), and Virginia Maskell is lovely as his dignified, understanding wife. I only wish this would be re-released, as trying to find a copy anymore seems impossible... It is timeless, lush, gorgeous.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved both the movie & score-
abydrive13 February 2002
I, too, saw the movie on a first date - have looked for it for years -I must have checked eBay at wrong times - it's odd how my sympathies were with the girlfriend when younger- now I identify with the wife - hope this makes it into video - it's too good to lose-
A jewel of a movie.
thea-24 December 2000
This movie is a must see, that is, if you can find it. Oskar Werner gives an unforgettable performance and the supporting cast is amazing. Seek high and low, it's worth it. And... if you do find it, please let me know. I've been looking for years but it seems it's out of circulation. More's the pity.
This is a superb film.
Leslie Walsh11 November 2005
I saw this excellent film when it was first released in 1968 in a Beverly Hills, California theater. Suffice it to say, if the memory of a film can stay with you for 37 years, it must be an impressive work. I have always wanted to see it again and never have. I understand it has not been released in either VHS or DVD -- a real shame. Oskar Werner was a superlative talent and the movie was beautifully crafted -- the story, while not unique, was poignantly told, the cinematography sublime and the music heavenly. I wonder who we might petition to release this film in DVD format. I called my local video store today and they gave me the sad news of it never having been released by Columbia.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Glad I visited this site!
jdeppen28 October 2005
Thanks to a contributor from Cleveland who mentioned bovinevideos.com as a place to find a copy of 'Interlude'. I ordered one today and will let you all know how the quality is. I'm not expecting anything great, but felt it was worth $20 to re-visit this old favorite of mine. Like most of the posters here, I saw 'Interlude' in the late '60's and loved it. I thought Barbara Ferris was charming, Oskar Werner was stolid but convincing as the conductor, and the music was just terrific. Buying the soundtrack album led me to appreciate some of the classical pieces which had previously been unfamiliar to me. And, of course, a little bit of the great Cleese couldn't hurt.

Look for my memory lane post in a week or so. Let's see, the title song began, "Time....is like a dream...."
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
World's best, and most overlooked, movie ever
mirok8 May 2005
It's unbelievable that, after 37 years, this movie has never been issued on VHS or DVD. There is nothing boring or tedious about this movie, it simply carries the viewer along. Stefan (Werner), an orchestra conductor, is interviewed by Sally (Ferris), a magazine reporter. Her interest in him grows and soon the personal overpowers the professional and before they know it, they are having an affair. One with tragic consequences, though, as Stefan has a wife, Antonia (Maskell) and children. Eventually the inevitable confrontation between wife and mistress takes place, and there is an exchange I'll never forget. Antonia asks Sally if she loves music and she replies, "Well, yes, I like music." There is dead silence and then Antonia says, "No, I mean do you LOVE music, do you ADORE it?" because her husband lives and breathes music as a career. That was something Sally had never contemplated during the affair, and a sacrifice she is not willing to make. Exquisite score of Classical excerpts. Watch with someone you love and bring at least three boxes of Kleenex.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best romances I have ever seen.
dan-4126 January 2000
Great love triangle Excellent score Recommend for any lover of romance movies Does anyone know how to obtain a copy?
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very touching romance, excellent acting;great soundtrack though not available anywhere
haribon3 September 2004
Saw this movie many years ago and have been trying to get a copy of it on video. No luck to date. One of the most poignant romance movies I've seen with excellent acting. I own an old LP of the movie soundtrack which I bought for $40.00 from a a second hand store - worth it to me.

Title song by Timi Yuro - very profound I understand this is a remake of "Intermezzo" and would have loved to see Ingrid Bergman in it again.Oscar Werner was perfect for the role. The lady who played Antonia was as classy as classy could get.I would really like to get a copy of this movie and hope that someone comes up with the soundtrack on CD.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For Ever Memorable
norlund18 November 2008
I saw this at it's premier at the Kensington Odeon in 1968, the week my wife and I married. (We had actually gone along to see what turned out to be the supporting movie staring Dudley Moor). I consider it to be one of the best written, directed and acted movies I have ever seen. Such a simple story so elegantly told, set in London's Chelsea and Kensington toward the end of the "Swinging 60's". I think it's the best of Oskar Werner's movies and I thought Barbara Ferris so wistfully innocent in her character. Such a tragedy Virginia Maskel should take her own life before getting the credit her portrayal deserved also. When Werner & Ferris meet again after so many years it is so very clear she never stopped loving him. I have an original Timi Yuro 45 of the theme song also.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Film is superb for many reasons. Some actors we know well now made their debuts in this film.
pamhw10 November 2006
This film, shot in '67 has gorgeous music and superb acting. Oskar Werner enjoyed making this film probably more than any other. His love for classical music is deeply, deeply genuine. As he said, he always wanted to play an orchestra conductor. He draws in the names of certain friends and his own name is that of his real life mother, Stefani Zelter. He also had many friends in the classical music world -music was his favorite thing in life. In addition to the excellent starring principal roles, several performers who have since become very familiar were seen for the first time over here, Donald Sutherland, John Cleese (who reveals his true calling!!) and a small glimpse of Sir Derek Jacobi at a dinner party. Not only is the music beautiful, the photography and scenery are also. There are many scenes taken in and around London. But, the short stay of Stefan and Sally in the country are breathtaking with stunning footage of Bodiam Castle in Sussex. It is really a shame that this has not been re-mastered and released on DVD, hopefully with a lot of the scenes deleted from the original print included.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
INTERLUDE is one of my all time three favorite love stories
posters639-19 September 2006
I have watched this film with the wonderful Oskar Werner at least fifteen times and shown it to many friends and relatives. I saved two VHS copies made from Cinemax and a local TV station when shown in the 1970's However, I recently purchased on Ebay a nonprofessional copy transferred to a DVD and the quality is better than my old videos. I also purchased recently an original French movie poster of this film which is far superior to the American poster. As for the film, there are so many favorite and memorable lines, e.g., when Oskar first calls the reporter to set up a meeting with her, his manager asks "Is she pretty?" and Oskar responds: "She is young." The dinner scene with the wife and girl friend is tense and so revealing, as many others have written, when Virginia asks Barbara if she loves music. And the final scene soon after the dinner in which Barbara breaks up with Oskar is devastating, especially if you have ever experienced a breakup with someone you still love and who loves you. And finally, the mystery ending that leaaves the viewer with an unanswered question--did Oskar reconcile with his wife or was he divorced? The only clue might be that he says music is his life. A great film, too long overlooked...perhaps we should all write to Columbia to request that it be released on a DVD.