IMDb > How Sweet It Is! (1968) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

How Sweet It Is! More at IMDbPro »

How Sixties It Is! :o)

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
30 July 2002

This movie has always been a favourite of mine for as long as I can remember. I had not seen it on TV for a while, so I decided to buy the video. It was well worth purchasing this movie because I watch it on a regular basis, like once every 6 to 8 months. Everything from the opening credits with the mannequins & psychedelic background, to the storyline and the variety of characters make this a fun movie to watch. My fave part of this movie is the part when Griff & his son take pictures of the girls trying to smile like the Mona Lisa. This is classic '60s movie making at it's finest! If you like movies from the late '60s like "Yours, Mine & Ours" & "The Impossible Years", then you will really appreciate the humour and storyline of this classic '60s romance/comedy.

Grueling comedy from Jerry Paris and Garry Marshall...where's Fonzie when you need him?

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
15 January 2006

"Swinging" comedy has family from the suburbs getting duped by a low-rent travel agent into taking a cut-rate European vacation. James Garner and Debbie Reynolds would seem to be an ideal screen match, but this leaden script never gives their union a chance (and both are saddled with deadening lines like, "Stop fiddling with your necklace and act like a man!"). Garry Marshall and crack comedy writer Jerry Belson adapted the screenplay from Muriel Resnick's book "The Girl in the Turquoise Bikini", and veteran comedy director Jerry Paris helmed the proceedings, but the results are bathetic; comic support from old pros Paul Lynde, Marcel Dalio, Terry-Thomas and Vitto Scotti doesn't help much. These are not the "Happy Days", although there are fun bits by Erin Moran and Penny Marshall. *1/2 from ****

I ask you sir: Is THIS the body of a teenager's mother?

Author: chaz-18 from kansas
27 December 1998

From a time in which movies were much more innocent, 'How Sweet It Is' is one of many comedies from the sixties that had to rely on script, timing, and facial expression instead of today's toilet humor to make audiences laugh. Not the funniest of the lot, but far from the worst.

James Garner and Debbie Reynolds are a married couple accompanying their teenage son as chaperones on a trip to Europe. Aboard the ocean liner, they are constantly trying to rekindle their romance by interludes in various cubbyholes of the ship. It's worth watching just to see the look of disgust on Paul Lynde's face and hear him sneer "Animals!" when he discovers them hiding in a lifeboat. Misunderstandings, jealousy, a rogue Frenchman, and a close encounter with divorce are in store before their European trip is over.

James Garner displays a knack for comedy, which he will later refine in his "Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter" movies.

Good, clean fun if anyone is interested in that sort of thing nowadays. Kind of like a Rock Hudson/Doris Day movie. (Those were great, too!)

witnessing the shooting of "How sweet it is"

Author: linze from Netherlands
17 March 2006

I had many laughs watching this film, however I had a valid reason for that. A great part of the shooting took place on board the cruise-ship s.s. Statendam of the Holland-America Lines. Actually I was a steward on this ship in real life but I also played a very tiny role in this movie. The only thing I had to do was running down the stairs with a life-vest on. It was really a thrill to observe world famous actors like Debby Reynolds and James Garner that close. Shooting took place in 1967 while cruising between Los Angeles and Acapulco(Mexico)I earned US$ 80,- for my (very small)part.I since then followed the career of James Garner, especially the TV-series like the mini-series "Space"(Michener) and Space Cowboys (2000) and the series of Jim Rockford, the P.I.starting in the seventies.

hokey, pokey, & could have been a lot funnier

Author: bill (mangoman1) from SC Piedmont
23 August 2015

I give this 6 based solely on the fact that it had Reynolds, Garner, & Scotti in it. It was hokey & saccharine 47 years ago, & it's 4.7 times that now. As the saying goes, "Man, I was there then." The thing was written as though it was 1958, not '68. Compare "Boys' Night Out" (also with Garner), done 6 years earlier, & with a similar plot -- vastly superior.

A lot of the humor is weak & sadly forced. The pseudo-psychedelic artwork & intro don't help much, either. I understand & sympathize with those (presumably also of my generation) who like it, but objectively speaking, this just doesn't go higher than about halfway up the scale. :\

To trot the globe

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
2 September 2013

In his recent memoir James Garner said he hated this film. But he and Debbie Reynolds were enough professional to keep How Sweet It Is at least tolerably amusing for their fans. A nice supporting cast certainly helps in that cause.

Garner is a professional photographer whose job keeps him globe-trotting and both wife Reynolds and son Donald Losby get to trot the globe with him when his boss prevails on him to be the photographer on his daughter's European tour with her student group. Losby goes along as his assistant to spend time with Hilary Thompson who is the boss's daughter whom he's going out with. Reynolds makes it three, but even that doesn't quite work out as they are assigned bachelor quarters with the chaperons and not a married suite on the boat. Now that was a bit too much to swallow.

Even worse Reynolds gets taken by conman Terry-Thomas for a $1000.00 dollars when he rents her a house on the Riviera which is just slightly already owned by French lawyer Maurice Ronet. Debbie gets Ronet's hormones into overdrive especially seeing her in a bikini. Looking real good for the mother of a teenage son.

Garner also has tour guide Mary Michael interested in him. And Losby who Thompson takes for granted perks up when blond bombshell Alexandra Hay shows him some interest and some body.

But as good as this cast is and it also includes Paul Lynde as an officious purser on the ship it's all rehashed and recycled stuff from other and better films.

A great comedy scene can be found in this film!

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
11 January 2000

For the most part this is your standard 60's romance/comedy romp. However there are a few moments which (unless your wrapped pretty tight) will set you laughing. They involve Vito Scotti who played Nazorine the baker in the Godfather films. He has a small part as a cook onboard a cruise liner and even though his scene is small it's highly memorable.

Debbie Reynolds, most underrated and all-around talented actress in Hollywood.

Author: Bill Cooley from Miami, Fla
25 January 1999

Debbie Reynolds again creates a role of mother, wife, lover, and beautiful, whimsical, comedienne. She is fully at ease, and completely believable in this late sixties, slightly risque, sexy role.

Peace, Love, and Misunderstanding

Author: kz917-1 from Florida, United States
19 June 2017

Debbie Reynolds and James Garner star as a couple that L-O-V-E each other passionately but maybe don't trust each other as much as they say they do. Both get propositioned while in Europe and jealousy takes hold. What follows is hilarity and sexual tension that oozes off the screen. Bonus points if you can spot the cameo by Penny Marshall!

It was OK

Author: richspenc from United States
22 March 2017

Another Americans in Europe film with James Garner as a NY photographer who accompanies his students to France. His wife Debbie Reynolds overhears his discussing the upcoming trip, and we get the "nobody's going to Europe" line. I also know that line from the montage of old film clips shown at the beginning of some old film dvds before the film begins.

Garner, Reynolds (reluctantly), and their son David then set off to France by ship. Garner and Reynolds make their feelings known to us (audience) that they're not happy about not having their own room and bed to share and find other little places on the ship to act out their desires. This is something that was more hidden in films during the Hays code years.

When in France, Reynolds goes off without her hubby and stumbles onto the mansion of Phillip Maspere who is completely smitten by her and totally advances himself onto her at a pool party. Reynolds won't accept his advances since she's married. Garner starts getting temptations himself over a pretty girl chaperone while Reynolds is still off on her own. But Garner misses his wife, and he's not too concerned about playing by the rules to go find her. He drives a stolen school bus to go out searching. During the film, we also get a scene with Reynolds in jail with a bunch of prostitutes, a Mona Lisa scene, son David partying wild with many others, and the sorta well known "animals!" line. This all helps make the film more exciting. Not a great classic, by my opinion, but interesting enough.