IMDb > He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown (1968) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Snoopy, Come Home

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
5 December 2010

Ol' Blockhead must be giving Snoopy too much sugar as he's way more hyper than usual at the beginning of this 1968 TV special. The rest of the Peanut's gang are sick of Snoopy's antics and demand that Chuck sort it out. Feeling that his only option is to send Snoops back to Daisy Hill Puppy Farm for some discipline training he makes the necessary arrangements. But Snoops instead spends the time with Peppermint Patty being spoiled rotten.

Patty soon tires of Snoopy's laziness and turns into an authoritarian nightmare, driving the mutt to madness. Meanwhile the rest of the gang mourn Snoopy's absence, annoyance or not.

This special deviates from the usual tone as it shows the bad side of the Peanut's gang. Though I do find that stories that focus on Snoopy or Woodstock tend to be less satirical and involving.

Enjoyable Peanuts TV special

17 January 2011

Charlie Brown sends Snoopy back to the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm for some much-needed obedience training after the mischievous beagle's rowdy ways grate on everyone's nerves. However, Snoopy stops at Peppermint Patty's house en route to the puppy farm and winds up crashing at her place instead where he becomes a spoiled rotten freeloader. Boasting a typically warm and witty script by Charles M. Schulz, with engaging characters, an amusing sense of pleasant and inoffensive humor (the best and funniest gag has Peppermint Patty blithely unaware that Snoopy is really a dog!), bright and colorful animation, a constant swift pace, and a nice central message about accepting someone as they are warts and all, this outing makes for a winningly breezy and entertaining affair. Snoopy is in fine impish form throughout: Whether he's grabbing Linus' blanket, pretending to be an ace World War I fighter pilot, being forced to clean Peppermint Patty's house, or repeatedly kissing Lucy, the lovable canine troublemaker is a total hoot to watch. Vince Guaraldi's infectiously jaunty'n'jazzy score keeps things bouncing along. Peanuts fans should get a kick out of this snazzy little romp.

A cool and rowdy friend... but man's best.

Author: Benjamin Wolfe from USA
5 July 2006

This was made,(in 1968) the year I was born. I was unable to see it on television, but I read the hard-cover book which, I loved. Everybody has a bad-side, but this is a lovable cartoon puppy-dog. In comparison, Snoopy's bad-side is nothing. I love the early animation of the Peanuts characters,it's the best childhood memory stuff. There is just a feeling I get every time I see and watch it. The music, the colors, the little voices... It's almost like flying or dreaming, something pleasurable, that brings relaxation. This one episode however, was a 'badboys' delight!! I am looking for this one on DVD, because I have never even seen it on VHS. For me Charles m. Shulz, God bless his heart, has in sort of a way given me back the enjoyment of childhood innocence that seems too often lost in life for many. This is a classic Peanuts. I plan to buy it and show it to my baby boy, he was 2 months old when he started watching Peanuts, just crying one day in his swing, he saw Snoopy and stopped crying. Now he loves Snoopy and the gang. Thank you Charles for creating some of the best child hood associations, ever!!! Peanuts and 'Charlie Brown Specials' should be shown in hospitals along side various cancer treatment programs and other illnesses etc, for kids and adults too. It sure couldn't hurt anything.

Short and fun.

Author: ofpsmith from United States
26 November 2016

Snoopy (Bill Melendez) is uncharacteristically acting like a jerk, so Charlie Brown (Peter Robbins) decides to send him back to the Daisy Hills Puppy Farm for a crash course in obedience. But when Snoopy leaves, he ends up crashing at Peppermint Patty's (Gabrielle DeFaria Ritter) house instead. When Charlie gets a call from the Daisy Hills Puppy Farm informing him that Snoopy is not there, Charlie deduces where Snoopy is. Snoopy meanwhile is living off of Peppermint Patty to the point where she decides to start having him carry his own weight around. Snoopy is eventually tasked with so many chores that he decides to leave and makes his way back to Charlie and the rest of the kids. The short is the usually Peanuts formula and I find it to be a good short, although it's definitely one of the weaker ones from the '60s. This is not to say it's bad, but it's not the best one from the time it was made. Then again it is hard to top the Christmas special and A Boy Named Charlie Brown. It's a good 22 minutes so I'd recommend it.

Home is where the heart is

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
11 November 2015

"He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown" or "It's Your Dog, Charlie Brown" is an animated short film from over 45 years ago. This was made in the 1960s by Melendez based on Schulz' work as usual and also the 25 minutes runtime are the general rule. This one was nominated for an Emmy as these Charlie Brown short films frequently were. The title is a quote directly out of the movie shouted by the gang at Charlie. Snoopy is misbehaving in this one and so Charlie sends him to a training center. But still Snoopy keeps avoiding it and instead ends up with Peppermint Patty. During his first stay at her house, he lives like a king, but during the second stay he lives like a slave. So no surprise, it does not take too long till he ends up reunited with Charlie again and will not be a nuisance to Lucy and the other Peanuts again. The kids voice actors here have all participated in several Peanuts films, but not managed to have a career later on, at least not a big one. Their Peanuts works stayed their most memorable contribution to film. All in all, an okay short film, but not among Melendez' best. Still, I recommend it.

It's Snoopy Acting Up

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
14 December 2013

Fifth animated special based on the Charles M. Schulz cartoon strips is one of the best non-holiday ones, about how Snoopy is acting up as summer break begins, causing Charlie Brown's friends to complain, and forcing him to send Snoopy back to the Daisy Hill puppy farm but instead ends up at Peppermint Patty's house, where he proceeds to become a freeloader! After Charlie's attempt to bring Snoopy home go awry, Patty gets back at Snoopy by forcing him to do all the chores she can think of, making Snoopy appreciate Charlie and his friends like never before. Funny special is warm and witty, with the priceless way Patty calls Snoopy that "funny looking kid with the big nose".

Overlooked

Author: Templeton Moss from Kentucky
31 October 2003

This is not a great special. Clearly, it was made very early in the history of Peanuts animation and has the same style as "A Charlie Brown Christmas." I don't care for it because it shows each character's bad side. It shows Snoopy as a free-loading, Charlie-Brown hating jerk. It shows Peppermint Patty as a dictatorial slavedriver. It shows Charlie Brown as a (shudder) "dog-owner!" That leash! Oy gevalt! So maybe it's good that this one is overlooked. Although, when Snoopy returns and fights with Lucy only to have her say, "He's back!" after surrendering, that's a fun moment