IMDb > "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" (1968) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"MisteRogers' Neighborhood"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" More at IMDbPro »"MisteRogers' Neighborhood" (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

One of the best men who ever lived

Author: Christopher Pike from Luleå, Sweden
16 September 2005

Mr. Rogers did what few artists have done in the history of mankind - strengthened and supported his audience so profoundly and so generously that he became a transformative force in their lives. I feel fortunate to have learned from him. In all too many homes, Mr. Rogers was and is the only voice of understanding, gentleness and positive reinforcement. Imagine how different our world would be if more young people could be exposed to his philosophy of acceptance and love.

There are so many children who never hear their parents say the words "I love you" - not once, not ever. And then they hear Mr. Rogers sing of all the ways people say "I love you," like "the cooking way" and "the eating way," and it's a comfort and reassurance beyond words. No other public figure provides this kind of life-changing insight to the people most in need.

On behalf of everyone you helped, of all the souls you touched in a badly damaged world, Mr. Rogers - we thank you, and we love you.

Mister Rogers was the REAL DEAL!!!

Author: Don McCullen from Colorado Springs, Colorado
27 February 2003

The Mr. Rogers you saw pay a television visit to your house was the same Mr. Rogers in real life should you ever have run into him. On the night of writing this we lost Fred Rogers who passed away at the age of 74 years of age. His show took the basics of 1950's TV production and stayed with it even since. It was all about having a conversation with his TV friend. In broadcasting you may speak to many people, but speak as only one person was talking to you.

His first show was the Children's Corner (1953-61) which featured a woman by the name of Josie Carry. Although he got hosting credit, he never appeared in front of the camera, but rather was the puppeteer. The Children's Corner developed most of his puppet characters including Daniel Stripped Tiger, Henrietta Pussycat, X the Owl, and King Friday XIII. The Children's Corner was done live at Non-Commercial TV station WQED in Pittsburgh. It was a fun show if anything, and Josie and the puppets talk about Mr. Rogers a lot.

After Children's Corner he moved to Canada and did a show simply called Mister Rogers (1962-64), and it was first time he was on camera. The show was 15 minutes but it developed something which we know now as the Neighborhood of Make-believe. This Neighborhood was the majority of this short show, but Fred Rogers would appear at the beginning and ending of the program, and he would show off a few things before he had "make-believe" with the viewers. Usually it was some kind of vehicle that takes us to the Make-believe world.

In 1966 Fred returned to WQED and all that he developed would come together and Mister Rogers Neighborhood signs on the air for the first time. Fred wrote and sang shows for the show, and he showed fun things to the audience. His trips to the Neighborhood of Make Believe incorporated storylines about how people (and puppets) no matter how hard they try they should just try to be themselves and deal with live life issues in the fantasy world. Mr. Rogers also took us around the TV neighborhood on soundstages at first but the post 1979 shows took us to actual places in the real world.

Fred Rogers never liked TV for himself, but he knew how to use it to make an impact on people, and impact he did. He did most of the writhing on the show, nobody would dare tell him what to do, not saying they would. I would have loved to meet him myself, but I will never get that chance. He didn't care about being a celebrity. Just someone who cared about people and try to a "neighbor" to them.

Rest In Peace.

The best children's show ever

Author: matlock-6 from Chicago, IL
16 July 2003

Mr. Rogers was and is a huge positive influence in the lives of small children. His passing away leaves a huge emptiness in the hearts of those who grew up watching him.

In what is all to often a violent and unsure world, Mr. Rogers was the voice of stability and kindness that children could rely on. He always stressed the importance of learning, responsibility, and caring for yourself and others. His kind and gentle demeanor and slow, pronounced way of speaking were absolutely perfect for small kids, making them feel as if they were in the presence of another parent. In fact, Mr. Rogers WAS a kind of third parent to many children, particularly for many during the late 1970s and 1980s, when former at-home mothers were increasingly working outside the home and had less time for them.

Mr. Rogers' greatest legacy was his continuous reminder that he "likes you just the way you are" or "thinks you're great just for being you". This is such an important message for small children who are still forming their ideas about who they are and how they fit into a society that is very often not as kind (and too often, horribly cruel). Individuality and imagination were celebrated gifts.

To this day, I don't have the slightest idea how Fred Rogers came to know children so well, where he got this gift to communicate with them and speak to them on their level. I do know that he is a national treasure who will never be forgotten by millions of people. Mr. Rogers was the ultimate combination of a teacher and a best friend, and is utterly irreplaceable.

Excellent show for kids

Author: David Melo (meloda) from Oregon, USA
16 July 2000

I highly resent the way many people talk about this show. Many of the things Fred Rogers does may seem ridiculous to us adults, but this is the best show ever to teach little children valuable skills for their futures. Fred Rogers is a wonderful man and really cares about kids. He hosts a show that is very educational for kids all the way up to age 7 or 8 and teaches good manners, what goes on in life, and introduces young children to the world they live in.

Personally, I grew up watching this show. I watched it until the age of seven. I learned a lot from Mr. Rogers and have great respect for the man. His show is very good at teaching little kids important things, and explaining things to them. It is also good for parents to watch with their kids. Many kids these days lack the skills which Mr. Rogers teaches. It is also very entertaining for kids. I highly recommend every little kid to watch this show. Kids and even some adults can learn skills which every body needs. Judging this show from watching it as a kid: On a scale of 1-10, I give this show a 10 in the way of kid shows, and a letter grade of A+! It may seem dull for adults, but it is very educational, and valuable for the future of kids who will one day be grown ups like us.

A real person

Author: John Langbein (medrjel) from Dixie, USA
20 February 2002

One thing that always bothered many people about Mr. Rogers is that he was not believable. Well, the wild thing is that what you see on TV is what you get in real life.

Fred Rogers is the most soft spoken and kindest person you would ever want to meet. What you get is not fake love like in many of today's kid's shows (Barney, to name the most evil one), but true heart from a man who cares.

Mr Rogers is married, has a son, and his son was a bit of a rebel, but you can't deny the man's love for people. I grew up with him. I'm glad I did.

If you don't believe me, just look at the bloopers from his show (Him setting up the tent is the most famous - all he does is laugh).

Most Wonderful Children's Show

Author: mille52 from New Orleans, USA
4 January 2002

Never underestimate the power of Public Television. Fred Rogers makes children feel comfortable and loved, even if their home life isn't perfect. They don't really show the oldest episodes on PBS, but even back in 1968, Mr. Rogers was having episodes about difficult topics, one episode from the aforementioned year about the assassination of Bobby Kennedy. One might jeer at Mr. Rogers' style of taking his fancy jacket off and changing into a sweater, or changing from his business shoes into tennis shoes, but it gives the feeling comfort in a weary world.

A Beautiful Show In The Neighborhood!

Author: Moviemachine-1 from Los Angeles, CA
4 June 2002

"Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" is without a doubt the best kids show ever. My six year old gets a kick out of watching the show, too. Mister Rogers stars as a host that teaches children life lessons and morals. He also likes to sing. The neighborhood of make believe is my favorite part in this show. "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" is a show for all children to watch. Adults would like it, too. However, avoid "Barney And Friends" or "Teletubbies". They're trash.

There will never be another Mr. Rogers

Author: david-2271 from United States
16 May 2006

Like many kids of the early 70's, I used to watch the PBS trinity. Sesame Street taught us about letters and numbers while The Electric Company taught us about reading. Mr. Rogers had the hardest job of all though; he taught us about feelings, socialization and the adult world.

Everything about the show was crafted to be warm and friendly without being boring or patronizing. Mr. Roger's tools were puppets, videos and original music, all of which were used to great effect. Even so, the show was about how people feel and relate, and for that it needed a Human element. Mr. Rogers and his neighbors were that element, and they were expert teachers.

As the focal-point of the show ("star" just doesn't seem right), Mr. Rogers always spoke directly to the camera, as if speaking directly to the children who were watching. His manner was always calm and inviting, unlike a certain purple dinosaur whose hyperactive manner almost demands that you like him. More importantly, Mr. Rogers always conveyed an air of dignity. Contrast that with many modern shows that tend to portray adults as fools. That may be good for a cheap laugh, but kids know that adults are in charge. Who wants a fool to be in charge? Kids shows will come and go, but there will never be another Mr. Rogers. He didn't want to sell the kids things, he didn't expect them to be "cool," and he didn't want to replace their parents. he just wanted to be their neighbor.

Goodbye Mr. Rogers

Author: ActJef1077
4 March 2003

Fred McFeely Rogers. A brilliant man. In a time when children were largely ignored (and even feared at times by adults) this man had the good sense to realize one simple fact: children are people too! I am 20 years old and I am PROUD to claim that I watched Mr. Rogers every day growing up. All I watched when I was little was Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, and Today's Special. Those were children's shows that made a child feel good. Unlike the wave of horrible children's shows that came in a few years ago (any show ending with -mon comes to mind), these shows were real. Mr. Rogers was real. You could almost believe that he really was your neighbor. He seemed like the kind of man you would see every day. But there was a huge difference: he loved and cared about children. Mr. Rogers has taken a lot of flack for his feelings towards children. How sad is it that feelings such as kindness, love, and sympathy are regarded with suspicion? Despite hundreds of attacks, despite cries of "pedophile" or "child raper", this man never wavered in his beliefs. He never backed down from what he felt was right. Some people (including 1 person on here) have wondered about the origin of the name McFeely. Well, I will tell you. It's not a hidden reference to a supposed desire to "feel" children. McFeely is his middle name, his mother's maiden name, and his maternal grandfather's name. His grandfather was responsible for some of Mr. Rogers' trademark lines: "I like you just the way you are", among others. Some people may know the song "Mr. Rogers" by Korn. Jonathan Winters, the lead singer and songwriter, screams at him "I hate you!" "I wish I never would have watched you" and "child f----r" to name a few. The reason Winters had so much hostility towards him is that as a child when he heard Mr. Rogers' kind words, he thought it meant that if you were nice to people, they would be nice to you. He thought everyone in the world was like Mr. Rogers. Unfortunately, he was wrong, and Winters was molested on many different occasions by a neighbor. Very sad, yes, but he was only projecting his anger onto this kind man. I think even Winters realizes that he really doesn't blame Fred Rogers for what happened to him. In conclusion, I'd just like to say thank you to Fred Rogers for giving so much of yourself to us and asking so very little in return. God bless you, Mr. Rogers, and my prayers go out to his family and friends.

An innocence of childhood

Author: feldstein33 from United States
17 January 2006

I was born in 1986 and one of the first shows I ever watched was Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Looking back at it now, it is truly amazing how simple the concept was yet the show sent such powerful messages seldom seen in today's kids programing. From the time I was maybe one or two until maybe around first grade, I had watched the show Monday through Friday at 10:30am. It was a comforting show and it felt as if Fred Rogers welcomed you into his own world for that half hour and that you were the only one there. From the traffic lights, to picture picture, to the fish tank, to the opening of the show, it will always remain close to my heart. The show was timeless and it is a tragic loss that Fred Rogers is no longer alive but his legacy in children's programing will live on forever. The show taught simple life lessons that are really the fundamentals of what makes up an honest, genuine person. From the puppet world and the trolley a new lesson would be taught each day. How I long for those care free days when time stood still and Mr. Rogers, and Sesame street ruled my day. Today's kids, with all the channels now, will simply go past PBS in favor of a cartoon, or special effect show that has little or no substance and who's main purpose is to sell a product. The values taught about tolerance and manners are priceless and long lasting. Early on that show had a big impact on my life and I am thankful that my parents introduced it to me. The show was basic and got the messages across with such great conviction. One of the most influential shows in television history lasted for four decades and touched millions of hearts. Television just isn't like that anymore and will probably never again be so pure and innocent, thank god for syndication. Raising you kids on this could make a big impact on their lives. This is one treasure from my childhood that I will treasure and hold close to forever.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]