IMDb > "Here Come the Brides" (1968) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Here Come the Brides"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Here Come the Brides" More at IMDbPro »

Terrible Title -- Great Show

Author: Bruce from Massachusetts
4 June 1999

"Here Come the Brides" sounded like one of the worst bits of schlock to hit the tube when it was being advertised for TV's fall line-up in the 1968-69 season. At the enlightened age of 12, I was far too sophisticated for such drivel. Imagine my surprise when, being forced to watch the show by a controlling older sister, I actually LIKED it. It fast became my favorite program at that time -- I was enormously moved by its heart and its humanity. By today's standards it probably seems pretty tame and trite stuff, but back then, it was different and courageous and had a voice that spoke to me. My favorite episode was titled, I think, "The Rainmaker". Jack Albertson guest starred as The Rainmaker, the shyster who is nevertheless magical enough to cure Jeremy's (Bobby Sherman) stuttering by presenting him with a magic stone. When The Rainmaker is revealed as a fraud, Jeremy's faith is shattered, and his stuttering returns tenfold. That's when Big Brother Jason Bolt lovingly explains to Jeremy that neither The Rainmaker nor the Magic Stone cured Jeremy's stuttering -- Jeremy had done it on his own. Jeremy, convinced, launches into a passionate, and flawless, speech, defending The Rainmaker to the rest of Seattle. Corny? Yup. But I'll tell you what -- that episode of "Brides" helped this 12 year old to believe in himself. Those characters in "Brides", especially the Bolt Brothers, still live within me, and I'm grateful for it.

A special place in my heart

Author: Ken Lipshez (kenlip@aol.com) from Unionville, CT
5 January 2003

"Here Come the Brides" rates as one of my favorite shows of all time. The theme song, so beautifully crisp and clean, frequently resounds in my mind, although I can't remember all the words. The historical fiction genre is my favorite.

Robert Brown was outstanding as Jason Bolt. He was bold, handsome, intelligent and resourceful. Oh did I love Bridget Hanley. She was so sweet, pure and full of love for Jeremy. When something would upset her and the tears would drip down her cheeks, I wanted so badly to hug her.

Mark Lenard was classic as the villain -- stoic, miserly and always scheming to separate the Bolts from their mountain.

But seeing Joan Blondell in her later years was truly a gift. I later became enamored with classic movies and enjoyed her romps with James Cagney and in the Gold Diggers movies. She was a beauty in her day. In HCTB, she was matronly and domineering but in a kind and gentle way.

I wish there was a way to see some of the old episodes. I remember that it was in syndication for a short time back in the late 80s and I had the wherewithal to record 3 or 4.

The simple, honest messages that the show conveyed are lost today in a decadent sea of sex and vulgarity. I guess I'll just have to be thankful that I had the opportunity to see the show on a week-to-week basis during my high school days. I'll watch my episodes from time to time, fall in love with Candy all over again, enjoy the drunken escapades of Captain Clancy and catch the last vestiges of Joan Blondell's great career.

One of my all-time favorites as a kid

Author: dilligaf from California
27 June 2001

I absolutely loved this show. Even though I was quite young, Robert Brown was the brother I was in love with. Could have cared less about Bobby Sherman and all the hoopla surrounding him.

I agree with everyone else....why can't this show be brought back on Nick-at-night, etc.? And what ever happened to Robert Brown???!!

Greatest Series during it's Time

Author: contone1 from St. Petersburg, FL
14 March 2001

I Loved the Series. It was a clean wholesome show. No vulgar language like in the movies today. I was just a kid and can still remember running to the tv to turn it on each week. I only wish that the series would come back to television as re-runs. So many other shows are re-run over and over, year after year, and yet I haven't seen "Here Come The Brides" re-run ever. Is there a reason for this?

One of my favorites as a child

Author: Stephen Alfieri (stevealfieri@verizon.net) from Blauvelt, NY
19 February 2004

I remember the whole family sitting around watching this show (I think it was on Weds. nights at 8:00). It had something for everyone. Bridget Hanley for me and my brothers, Bobby Sherman and David Soul for my sisters.

Good stories, but the series tanked when Candy's brother and sister moved to Seattle. It obviously must not have done well in the ratings, as Jeremy and Candy were always toying with getting married, but I remember everyone in my school talking about it the next day.

I would also like to see some of the shows again to see just how good/bad they were.

Fond Memories

Author: John Mekonen from United States
10 July 2002

The late, great, 1968 was a memorable year; men in space, Kennedy and King assassinations, Vietnam, New York sports championships...... When "Here Come the Brides" debuted with its memorable theme song, "Seattle", it added to the complex yet cohesive background of that era, providing an escape into a comfortable world, if only for 1 hour. Bobby Sherman was a favorite actor of mine back then, exemplifying decency, fair play, and displaying a young man's "aw shucks" charm (as well as having some pop hits on the radio that I liked just fine). Although it is an excellent t.v. series (in my opinion) this show remains dear to me more for its atmosphere than for its content.

Thanks for the memories

Author: mark_cheryl93 from United States
11 June 2006

I used to watch Here Comes the Brides as a kid and was very excited to see it coming out on DVD. Bobby Sherman was my first love and when I watched the series again it brought back many memories. I fell in love all over again and had to buy a Bobby Sherman CD. I love the wholesomeness of the show and the love that the brothers have for each other. Bridget Handley is excellent as Candy Pruitt. She is levelheaded and can solve the problems that the brides have. I love Biddy and her silliness. I love to hear her laugh she brings joy to the show. I love Lottie and the way she is a mother to the girls. She and Captain Clancy have a secret liking for each other and that brings a spark to the show. I wish we had shows like this now days. Thank you for the happy memories.

Here Come The Brides

Author: AliasLostCombo from United States
30 May 2006

I loved this show growing up! I wish it would return to a place like TVLand! I've sent comments to TV Land asking them to consider running this show and would appreciate it if other fans would do the same, maybe that way if enough people write in, they will consider it! I also was an avid fan of the original Star Trek and would devour the books that were written and couldn't believe my good fortune when one of the books turned out to contain both Star Trek AND Here Come the Brides in it's story line...I've since misplaced that book and can't remember the title...so if anyone out there knows, I would appreciate an answer, you could email me at AliasLostCombo@aol.com. Much appreciated!! Long Live Here Come the Brides and Star Trek!!!

Here Come the Brides, My Favorite Show.

Author: Dawn Radee (radeed@mufn.org) from Manistee, Mi
6 March 1999

I like all the people in the tv show. My favorite actor in the show is Bobby Sherman. My favorite actress is Bridget Hanley. It's one of my favorite shows of all times.

I only wish they would put the episodes on videos, so I could see the the tv shows again.

Thank you, From Here come the Brides fan

Family fun DVD

Author: Sandy Nakamura from United States
2 June 2006

Being FROM Seattle, I knew I would like this right away. In actual history a man named Asa Mercer did bring brides to Seattle, and did a good enough job to have my junior high school named after him. I got the DVD and not long after I began going down memory lane I decided this was a series I could share with my young grand daughters who seem to think that Laura and Mary Ingalls are related to them, they see and read them so much. My children weren't born yet when this was on so it is a delight to my daughter as well. For being almost 40 years old this program holds up a lot better than some of the stuff they are making right now. And has a "full" season of shows unlike right now too! Its not brain surgery but it qualifies as great entertainment!