IMDb > "Adam-12" (1968) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Adam-12"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Adam-12" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Excellent show!

Author: Drewboy-2
31 October 2001

This is a wonderful show that I really enjoyed as a child! The very first episode, originally airing on 9/21/68, was a classic. Pete Malloy is disgruntled and about to quit the force after his patrol partner's death in a warehouse shooting, and is assigned rookie cop Jim Reed, age 23 and fresh out of the LA police academy. That first day, the officers break up a fight between two men over a lady on the street, then they chase two robbers in a big 1959 Buick four-door that crashes and burns in a canal confluence - this is a breathtaking sequence - that Buick is HUGE with the big canted fins! Malloy finishes his day by giving mouth to mouth to an infant who had stopped breathing. All in a day's work! A portent of good things to come over the next seven years. Watch it, get videos - you won't regret it!

The Greatest Show About The Average Policeman

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
27 March 2003

This is one show that still holds up over thirty years after it premiered. Not only do you get a true life look at the day to day operations of a typical patrolman, but you also see the evolution of the relationship between two officers. When Reed is first teamed with Malloy he is the subordinate young officer who keeps calling Malloy sir and makes a few mistakes along the way, but by the end of the series, Malloy treats Reed as an equal and the two even call each other by their first names. In fact, in either the first or second season, Reed names Malloy the Godfather to his son. This show definitely proves that Jack Webb was a genius.

Jack Webb was the master of cop shows.

Author: lartronic from Akron, Ohio
28 August 2000

Just like his other two greats, "Dragnet" and "Emergency!", this was a series that was both entertaining and thoughtful. The stories were action packed, but also looked realistically at police life. A great part of the series was the 60's/70's teenagers' point of view. The teenagers, even though they called the police 'pigs', the cops still helped them when they needed it. A great, great series, I like it even more than "NYPD Blue".

A great "true to life" TV show!

Author: Les de Belin from Sydney, Australia
30 January 2004

A great TV Police Show of the 1960's, and in fact only one of the very few that I would ever watch. So good in fact, that I joined the Police in 1970, and was a Police Officer until 2003. Yes, this show was very down to earth with its stories, and a great example of the every day to day duties performed by uniform Police (its the same "Job" all over the world!).

Best Cop Show of Them All!

Author: stargazer24 from midwest
5 October 2001

I just wanted to say that this is definitely the best cop show ever to grace the airwaves. There are so few shows out there that focus on uniformed cops that it's nice to see something showcase the men (and women) that bust their butts protecting us common folks. I also like the "very little about their personal lives" approach. This is a cop show, so show us cops on duty. So many of today's cop shows care more about who's sleeping with who than the actually job of fighting crime. I want to thank Martin Milner and Kent McCord *not that they'd read this! :)* for making cops seem real in the eyes of so many that see cops as nothing but those horribly corrupt people that pull us over for going 4 over the speed limit. These guys did good!

Still the best.

Author: Mister-UHF from Virginia, USA
9 July 2002

Around 1975, I heard a police officer call Adam-12 the most realistic police show ever. In 1999, I heard a recently retired police officer say the same thing. It's hard to top those reviews.

All I'll add is that it had the best casting of any TV show I've seen.

A Jack Webb Junkie born January named John

Author: johnfuen from San Diego, California, United States
22 June 2005

The title is my attempt to honor the classic Johnny Carson "Claude Cooper copper clappers" bit with Jack Webb. As a kid I tried to never miss an episode of any Jack Webb series. Adam 12 being one of them. I really enjoyed how the relationship between Reed and Malloy developed throughout out the seasons. From the beginning when Malloy was a bit distant from his partner but still very mother hen-like to the later years when the two were comfortable with each other and taking little jabs at each other between calls.

One of my favorites was the episode when Reed's wife was pregnant, and the Reeds, Malloy, and his girl friend were trapped in a ghost town by a motorcycle gang. That episode still stands out in my mind. I enjoyed how the series dealt with more day to day stuff than the impossible situations shown in many other cop shows. It was amazing how a day's work could be squeezed into a 30 min show (22 w/o commercials).

The Forefront of other cop shows that were to follow

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
11 November 2000

Even though it was one of the best shows ever in depicting the activities of everyday policeman on the beat in the streets of America, "Adam-12" was the forefront of future cop shows that were to follow it. This show was sort of like the "Cops" of its day as police officers Reed and Malloy go after the bad guys who brake the law and protect its citizens in the gritty streets of Los Angeles. Even though it only ran from 1968-1975 on NBC,this show was a fine police procedural that went straight by the book on how police procedures were done and how the officers handled difficult but strange situations in the line of duty(courtesy of its executive producer and creator Jack Webb). Catch the repeats on TV Land!!!!

Reed and Malloy to the rescue

Author: jprice-4 from Greenwood, SC
28 June 2000

Adam-12 is the best cop show before Cagney & Lacey, & NYPD Blue. Martin Millner plays Officer Pete Malloy Badge #744 and his partner Officer Jim Reed Badge #2430 played by Kent McCord was great.

After the first season of the show, there were changes. The 8 point caps that they wear changed to round. Reed's hair grow in every season. and they begain to wear nametags in the second season.

I like it.

I give it *****.

The first real life cop show

Author: Don from United States
10 August 2008

This show, for the first time, captured the essence of being a street cop. Not just all shootem-up and car chases.

Though obviously dated today.... a whole generation of kids watched this show and wanted to grow up and be Reed or Malloy, including me. The career that provided me with so much satisfaction was really inspired by this show. Despite what some may think, most cops got into the job with the same values and intents that hallmarked the characters on the Adam 12 show.

During my 25+ years in law enforcement, I was able to meet Kent McCord and Martin Milner at several charity events that they regularly supported. In real life, they truly are the good guys they portrayed on television. A picture of myself with them hangs on my office wall, and is one of my most cherished possessions.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]