IMDb > Ulysses (1967) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ulysses

Ulysses More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Far exceeds the denigrating ratings thus far accrued!

Author: invinoveritas1 from Cape Elizabeth, Maine
15 June 2008

Brilliant adaptation of the largely interior monologues of Leopold Bloom, Stephen Dedalus, and Molly Bloom by Joseph Strick in recreating the endearing portrait of Dublin on June 16, 1904 - Bloomsday - a day to be celebrated - double entendre intended! Bravo director Strick, screenwriter Haines, as well as casting director and cinematographer in creating this masterpiece. Gunter Grass' novel, The Tin Drum filmed by Volker Schlöndorff (1979)is another fine film adaptation of interior monologue which I favorably compare with Strick's film.

While there are clearly recognized Dublin landmarks in the original novel and in the film, there are also recognizable characters, although with different names in the novel. For example, Buck Mulligan with whom Dedalus lives turns out to be a then prominent Dublin surgeon.

This film for all of its excellence is made even richer by additional viewings.

Brian invinoveritas1@AOL.com 15 June 2008

gloriously obscene, occasionally humorous, and subtlety uplifting adaptation of the greatest novel of all time

Author: framptonhollis from United States
13 July 2017

Having finished James Joyce's monumental masterpiece "Ulysses" at about two in the morning last night, I decided to reward myself today by finally viewing Joseph Strick's critically acclaimed adaptation of the work. I was highly interested in seeing how certain mindbogglingly difficult and seemingly unfilmable sections from the novel were portrayed by his lens, and I was left impressed and entertained. While a truly proper adaptation of Joyce's massive literary landmark would be about twelve times the length of this experiment, Strick's "Ulysses" is a fine and almost flawless attempt at condensing and adapting the perplexing classic to the big screen. The performers chosen are all excellent, both visually and performance-wise the actors embody what one's mind likely interpreted the iconic characters whilst reading the original work.

Although I seem to be solely using this review to be comparing the film to the book, I should also point out that even if the novel never existed, this would be among the greatest movies of its kind. This is an avant garde journey through the streets of Dublin that is crafted brilliantly on all cinematic fronts. The many beautiful locations are shot with lovely black and white cinematography, (as I already mentioned) the performances are fantastic, the editing is noticeably well done, and the final product has the ability to be both a companion to Joyce's novel and a wonderful work of art in its own right. Here, you will find much to love, and the two hour running time flies by. Seriously, this film feels much faster than two hours, similarly to how the original novel felt much shorter than 700 pages (at least in my opinion anyway, since many others loathe the book and find it tedious and WAY overlong).

Joyce's prose seems necessary to be heard rather than just read, and the final segment, this being Molly Bloom's beautiful (and dirty) soliloquy, masters the challenge of reading the master's work aloud. It is read with grace, passion, and character in a way that conveys all of the humor and pain and extreme sexual desire hidden within Joyce's many pages of inner monologue. This is a (or perhaps THE) masterpiece of the little-practiced genre of "stream of consciousness filmmaking".

Not your typical film

Author: jameslinton-75252 from United Kingdom
16 April 2016

Having read and studied this novel for my English Literature course, I was looking forward to watching its film adaptation.

The end result left me feeling a little ambivalent. I felt that the film did very well in capturing the stream-of-consciousness present in Joyce's original text. Like its source material, Ulysses is a film that demands your full attention. If you look away for even a second then you're lost. The narrative constantly jumps around. This isn't an insult to the film, but rather a portrayal of Joyce's writing style.

Ulysses as a text jumps from idea to idea, from writing style to writing style. It is a difficult text to read, but a rewarding one.

And so is the film, although I was disappointed at how the film watered down some of the book's more explicit scenes. I felt that THIS was an insult to Joyce to wanted to push the boundaries of anything that came before.

Read my full review for more: http://goo.gl/WGkf16