IMDb > Ulysses (1967) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ulysses

Ulysses More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Far exceeds the denigrating ratings thus far accrued!

Author: invinoveritas1 from Cape Elizabeth, Maine
15 June 2008

Brilliant adaptation of the largely interior monologues of Leopold Bloom, Stephen Dedalus, and Molly Bloom by Joseph Strick in recreating the endearing portrait of Dublin on June 16, 1904 - Bloomsday - a day to be celebrated - double entendre intended! Bravo director Strick, screenwriter Haines, as well as casting director and cinematographer in creating this masterpiece. Gunter Grass' novel, The Tin Drum filmed by Volker Schlöndorff (1979)is another fine film adaptation of interior monologue which I favorably compare with Strick's film.

While there are clearly recognized Dublin landmarks in the original novel and in the film, there are also recognizable characters, although with different names in the novel. For example, Buck Mulligan with whom Dedalus lives turns out to be a then prominent Dublin surgeon.

This film for all of its excellence is made even richer by additional viewings.

Brian invinoveritas1@AOL.com 15 June 2008

Not your typical film

Author: jameslinton-75252 from United Kingdom
16 April 2016

Having read and studied this novel for my English Literature course, I was looking forward to watching its film adaptation.

The end result left me feeling a little ambivalent. I felt that the film did very well in capturing the stream-of-consciousness present in Joyce's original text. Like its source material, Ulysses is a film that demands your full attention. If you look away for even a second then you're lost. The narrative constantly jumps around. This isn't an insult to the film, but rather a portrayal of Joyce's writing style.

Ulysses as a text jumps from idea to idea, from writing style to writing style. It is a difficult text to read, but a rewarding one.

And so is the film, although I was disappointed at how the film watered down some of the book's more explicit scenes. I felt that THIS was an insult to Joyce to wanted to push the boundaries of anything that came before.

Read my full review for more: http://goo.gl/WGkf16