IMDb > Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frankenstein Created Woman

Frankenstein Created Woman More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Great old style Frankenstein movie love the film stock..

Author: mikevonbach from CHICAGO
17 January 2014

This movie had everything that Hammer and Corman are famous for the technical aspects.The color or tone and shading was a plus The locations were superb. The fact that the film was uninterrupted by svengoolie. In the early days of horror flicks the voices were always just a bit off like the old kungfoo films i really like that. today the horror film producers seem to think that blood and gore is what the audience craves.What about the story we have not had a good story in years for example jekyll and hyde,moby dick,Dracula,sure we have had adaptations of these classic films but no new idea's that takes the viewer's into a what if this did happen frame of mind.I will say that harry potter came close in the first film anything after that was just cashing in on the first one.I know we have the writer's .I believe the studio's the corporations wont give new idea's a chance .they have ruined it just as they have the music business.long story short IS WHATS OLD IS ACTUALLY NEW.

Fourth Hammer Frankenstein.

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
24 November 2013

Terence Fisher directed this fourth "Frankenstein" film in the Hammer series that sees Peter Cushing return as Baron Frankenstein, still experimenting with life, though now interested in the soul, and when it departs the body, which he recently experimented on himself with the help of his new assistant Dr. Hertz(played by Thorley Walters) His young helper Hans(played by Robert Morris) gets into trouble with the law and is hanged; his distraught girlfriend(played by Susan Denberg)whose father was the murder victim, drowns herself only to be resurrected by Frankenstein with the mind of Hans! Together(sort of) they set on a campaign of revenge against the real killers... Ambitious sequel is nicely directed and acted(if contrived), with the Baron in a mostly benevolent mood; pity it didn't last...

In the Hammer mold, but a bit "off' compared to some of the classics

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
3 May 2013

I was glad to see in the opening credits that Terence Fisher was directing this effort...the man had an impressive string of successful and interesting films to his credit,many of them in the Hammer style. And Cushing is always worth watching. But somehow, this one didn't quite work as well for me. It wasn't bad, of course - Fisher doesn't make "bad" films. But the story didn't quite gel, and left me unsatisfied.

Of course, part of this dissatisfaction may be due to the 40+ year time span and the changes in standards and expectations in both cinema and society. As it is, I can see some of the themes being explored here - class, and sex, and oppression, and revenge, and role playing, and a bunch of other intriguing issues. I can respect that, but I think the Road Runner style ending (the movie just stops short about 2 minutes after the final act of vengeance) and the usual Hammer emphasis on sex and gore and shock kept the two aspects of the movie from landing on target the way a Hammer film usually does.

And of course, there's no Frankenstein "monster" AGAIN. Yes, I can see that the resurrected women plays the role, but I hate it when they have a Frankenstein movie without a bolt-necked, heavy browed freak of nature somewhere on the premises.

But I'm not sorry I bought the movie and I will keep it my collection, and who knows, I may enjoy it more on repeated viewings.

Worth a look, on a Sunday Afternoon

Author: DrPeppers from Australia
9 February 2010

I didn't expect this movie to rate with me at all. I've never really cared for Franken-stein movies. I must say however, i didn't mine watching this film.

The start was a little weird and hard to stay with, but the story overall ended up being okay and one movie worth a look.

The story in a nutshell is, a twisted scared good looking lady, is brought back to life, but with the soul of a young man who cared for her. He was killed for crimes he did not commit.

If you haven't seen this film, I'd say this would make a great lazy Sunday afternoon film to watch.

Not as some say

Author: Dierdre99
14 November 2003

Inevitable spoilers.

I understand from another site that Christina's voice was dubbed by Jane Hands because her Austrian accent was too strong. If so, the dubbing is well done.

The trailers, the tagline and the video box say 'A Beautiful Woman With the Soul of the Devil'. Yes?! Like many films this is a tale of private revenge, after the justice system has failed. In the many hundreds of films where a man exacts vengeance, he is not described as 'the soul of the devil'.

The biggest annoyance are Christina's knee-length dresses - in the mid 19th century?! Worse, bit not actually in the film, the video box has two photographs of Christina in 1960's underwear.

OK, Frankenstein fixes her scar and limp - he is after all a doctor - but why does he bleach her hair?

At Hans' trial, as a witness, Frankenstein insists that he is a Doctor of Law as well as of Medicine. As a lawyer, standing passively by while his employee is wrongly convicted of murder, he is a total failure.

Most summaries of the plot say that Frankenstein puts the soul of Hans into Christina's body. Frankenstein himself says that is what he has done. But Christine never protests that she is in fact Hans. Indeed she opens his grave and starts carrying his head around with her, and responds to his demands as if he is a different person. Nor does she ever act like a man in woman's body. She does not show any curiosity about her new body, although she does know how to use it to get the three upper-class hooligans to follow her to their deaths. PopcornQ Movies says "The poor guy can't handle the prospect of a penis-free existence and runs around stabbing people. The film has its effective moments, though, in representing the rage of nonconsensual embodiment." This is a delightful misreading of the film, but really the film does not support it. Her killings of the three upper-class twits is conceivable as a female revenge killing film that might have been made in later decade. As she is carrying and listening to Hans' dead head, it would be better to read her as a Trilby to its Svengali.

Why her second suicide at the end. Unimaginative closure? Largely so I think. Perhaps she mainly thinks of herself as a return from the dead, and now her task is over.

Metaphysical horror

Author: Matthew Naylor from Lincoln, England
16 December 1999

With this, Hammer's fourth Frankenstein film, the director Terence Fisher took a more philosophical approach to the proceedings. The film deals with some fairly hefty issues, such as the existence of souls and their substance, the nature of personality and the effects of trauma upon the psyche. Fisher weaves these elements around a tale of love and revenge.

Instead of some crazed monster roaming around destroying things (and people) we see the delightful Susan Denberg portraying the "creation". Because she is visibly more human than Frankenstein's other creations, the audience therefore builds a greater sympathy for her and her situation than would otherwise be possible. Although Denberg was not a professional actress she deals well with the demands placed upon her and her transformation from disabled waitress to disabling beauty is convincing.

Peter Cushing is on fine form (as ever) as the Baron, helped in his experiments by Thorley Walters. The supporting cast all do well with their roles, the script is good and the atmosphere very gothic (as you would expect). The only real shock is the ending, which is incredibly understated.

A nice change of pace for the Hammer Frankenstein series.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
19 August 2013

The eternally driven Baron Frankenstein, once again played with utter conviction by the great Peter Cushing, gets resurrected in this entertaining sequel, thanks to the work of his associate Dr. Hertz (Thorley Walters) and their assistant Hans (Robert Morris). Never content to let time go to waste, the Baron soon sets about to experiment with life after death, this time focusing on what to do with the soul once a body has transpired. But tragedy intervenes: three loutish spoiled-brat rich boys kill Kleve (Alan MacNaughton), the proprietor of an inn and father to Christina (Susan Denberg), a young woman whose beauty is marred by deformity. Hans is convicted of the crime and beheaded, and a grief stricken Christina immediately commits suicide. So the Baron and Hertz swing into action quickly, appropriating the bodies of Hans *and* Christina and transferring Hans' soul to Christina's body. The twist there is that naturally Hans' soul isn't at rest and is hungry for revenge.

Director Terence Fisher is in fine form with "Frankenstein Created Woman", making the most of the gimmick of a comely young female Frankenstein "monster", who is only made more beautiful by the surgery performed by the Baron and Hertz. The story by John Elder is engrossing and making it come to life are a fine group of actors who deliver memorable performances. Walters is delightful as a doddering old man with enough affection for his colleague that he allows himself to be manipulated, then proves himself quite capable of manipulation in one scene where he blackmails a jailer. Morris and Denberg are very appealing as the couple at the centre of the story. Denberg also does well at being seductive in the later portions of the film, even showing more leg than you'd expect to see in this sort of period piece. Peter Blythe is excellent as Anton, the nastiest of the three troublemakers who also include Karl (Barry Warren) and Johann (Derek Fowlds). Peter Madden, playing the Chief of Police, has a great character face.

The usual Hammer suspects do their typically exemplary work: James Bernard as the composer, Arthur Grant as the cinematographer, Bernard Robinson as the production designer, and James Needs as the supervising editor. Creation of atmosphere and maintaining of pace are also up to par.

Overall, fine entertainment for Hammer devotees.

Seven out of 10.

Sturdy Hammer horror outing

Author: Woodyanders ( from The Last New Jersey Drive-In on the Left
19 August 2013

Sweet, but disfigured young Christina (a sympathetic portrayal by the luscious Susan Denberg) commits suicide after her lover Hans (a likable performance by the handsome Robert Morris) gets framed and executed for murder. Baron Victor Frankenstein (superbly played with conviction and dignity by the always reliable Peter Cushing) resurrects Christina from the dead by transforming Hans' soul into her body. However, the new woman created by Frankenstein longs for revenge against those who have wronged her. Director Terence Fisher relates the engrossing story at a stately pace, meticulously crafts a flavorsome period atmosphere, and keeps things classy and involving throughout. The smart script by Anthony Hinds offers an intriguing central debate on the morals and perils of man playing god. The characters are neatly delineated: Hans and Christina make for charming leads while the villains are appropriately mean and hateful. Christina's conflict about her identity adds a surprisingly poignant element of pathos. Thorley Walters contributes a stand-out turn as Frankenstein's kindly and bumbling assistant Dr. Hertz. Peter Blythe likewise excels as ruthless cad main bad guy Anton. Peter Madden makes the most out of his regrettably small part as a stern chief of police. Both Arthur Grant's sharp cinematography and James Bernard's robust score are up to speed. A worthy Hammer item.

Why Transfer Body Parts When You Can Do Souls?

Author: gavin6942 from United States
1 November 2010

Baron Frankenstein (Peter Cushing) continues his experiments, but this time he is not even working with brains. He has found a way to store souls and move them from one body to another.

Mike Mayo says that "the film has an ongoing fascination with decapitation that begins with the first scene." I'm not sure where he gets that idea... "Revenge of Frankenstein" opened with a guillotine scene, so this hardly stands alone in the series as a head-chopping film.

It is interesting as a Frankenstein story, since this really is closer to a tale of a woman possessed and wanting to kill by seducing men with her charms. I would compare it to, say, "Species" before "Frankenstein", but that in no way makes this a bad film.

I know who I am and what I have to do. Forgive me.

Author: lastliberal from United States
29 October 2010

Susan Denberg was a Playboy Playmate in 1966, and had four screen appearances, before she went back to Europe. She becomes Dr. Frankenstein's latest subject.

Each of these films seem to get more and more elaborate as Dr. Frankenstein stretches the bounds of science. Of course, one has to believe in the existence of a soul to follow his logic, but that is his definition of life.

After her boyfriend Hans (Robert Morris) is unjustly executed for a murder committed by three spoiled rich kids, Christina (Denberg) takes her own life. But, Frankenstein works his magic and puts Hans soul into Christina and the horror begins as they take their revenge.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]