IMDb > The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dance of the Vampires

The Fearless Vampire Killers More at IMDbPro »Dance of the Vampires (original title)

Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Great Plot beautiful Cinematography and Set Design.....

Author: movieed1
14 October 2016

Gorgeous film and cinematography values, excellent visuals but long long moments of tedium...balanced only by beautiful set designs. It just needed to be moved along faster. That being said, my first Horror Spoofs were "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and "Young Frankenstein". Therefore, I am not used to the snail-paced character development. The first hour is pure beauty to look at, but IMHO the second hour FINALLY moves us along at a pace more related to spoof movies similar to Brooks and Rocky. Overall it's a beautifully produced and filmed movie...if you can make it through the first hour and 1/2 it is a pleasant journey. 5/10 for time 9/10 for cinematography and set design...still waiting for the hilarious dinner party... Otherwise Enjoy!

Somewhat Slow of Pace but a Beautiful and Elegant Film

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
29 November 2015

One of Director Roman Polanski's Most Divisive Films. There are Those That Consider it a Masterpiece and Others, Well, Not So Much.

This Vampire Spoof is Beautifully Shot and Contain Sets of Enormous Elegance with Detailed and Interesting Fills. It Cannot Be Denied its Craftsmanship and Obvious Talent Behind the Camera.

However, it Does Move at a Rather Languishing Pace. Some Scenes, Especially Before They Get to the Castle, Seem Padded and Forced. But Once the Castle is the Backdrop the Film Kicks Into High Gear and the Remainder is Breathtaking and Highly Amusing.

The Film had a Troubled Pre-Release with Different Opinions from Producers and Polanski and was Released Cut to Shreds. It Flopped Big-Time but Has Since Gained a Reputation and Admiration for its Brilliance, Mostly for the Display and the Humor Secondary.

A Must See for Polanski Fans and Horror Movie Enthusiasts, but it's an Acquired Taste and Multiple Viewings Add More Appreciation. Expectations are High Going In Considering the Director. This Was Made Prior to "Rosemary's Baby" (1968) and "Chinatown" (1974), but After "Repulsion" (1964).

Note...The beautiful and radiant Sharon Tate is highlighted by many viewers as a small but welcome addition to the Film. Her marriage to Roman Polanski was to follow as was her tragic and brutal death at the hands of the Manson Family.

Funny, goofy and highly enjoyable vampire effort

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
3 November 2015

Tracking their quarry to an elusive mountain village, a professor and his assistant gradually come to learn the entire town is in the grips of a bloodthirsty vampire count and tries to ward him off when he targets a young woman in the village.

This here was quite the enjoyable and somewhat better-than-expected effort that has a lot to really like about it. First-and-foremost among the positives here is the absolutely hilarious comedy that appears here, which runs throughout the film with such frequency and consistency that there's plenty of genuine laughs in here. It tends to be a little one-sided here with sheer slapstick resulting from their bungling and ineffectual hunting means here that brings up their near-incompetence in this task which becomes gut-busting as time goes on with how they're going about trying to get their mission accomplished here when they're always stumbling around over everything in their path merely trying to get the most basic commandments of vampire-hunting accomplished. The scenes of them up at the castle are even better, not just because there's more to play with their but almost all of these gags are incredibly fun with the professor getting stuck in the window and having to guide his skittish assistant through a step-by-step process of the finer points on vampire-staking, the truly hilarious slapstick chases throughout the corridors of the castle and the different methods of trying to keep their true intentions at least hidden despite all the occupants fully aware of what they're doing which makes for a truly fun time here with constant gags and spills. Likewise, other fun scenes include the really funny costume ball that features the two of them dressed in traditional garb to blend in and try to rescue their charge while alternating between revealing information about their quest to free her and the escape plans while out in the middle of the crowd only to fully blow their whole cover with the use of a traditional means of vampire lore to cause this to become incredibly funny along with the rising imminent danger along the way. Even other more overt horror scenes here include the vampires' early raids on the village where they abduct the villagers into their ranks and try to thwart his advances against them makes for a fine time here alongside the slapstick means of trying to keep their charges at bay while the main Gothic castle is truly glorious and enchanting with the perfect setting here to conceive of the events within, and overall there's plenty to really love here. About the only true flaw to be found in here is the rather goofy nature of the vampires here with their lavish over-sized fangs that shouldn't possibly be able to be hidden here such is the over-the-top nature of their appearance, and though that truly fits into the realm of the film within here there's little else about them that should've been attempted here what with their sticking out the wrong way here. The comedy as well can be hit-or-miss depending on the mood at the time, but there's still a lot to really like here.

Today's Rating/PG-13: Violence.

Fun and funny vampire movie

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
18 March 2015

Fun and funny vampire movie from acclaimed director Roman Polanski.

Plot is reasonably basic, and not entirely watertight. However, this is more than made up for by the humour of the plot. While Polanski crafts a feeling of foreboding, dread and fear, your vampire staples, he balances this with some great comedy. The stark contrast between the usual vampire atmosphere and the humour makes the comedy even better.

At the forefront of this comedy is Polanski himself, as the bumbling assistant. It is most physical comedy and often feels Chaplinesque. Polanksi enhances this by speeding up the frames during some of the sequences, giving a silent movie feel to these scenes.

Jack MacGowran is also great as the Albert Einstein-lookalike Professor.

Nice twist in the plot towards the end too.

"just whistle as if nothing has happened and let's turn back"; A little Polanski gem

Author: RainDogJr from Mexico City
21 October 2009

Almost a year ago, last December to be more precise I bought my DVD of Roman Polanski's Dance of the Vampires (the US title is much more awesome and one of the great ones: The Fearless Vampire Killers or: Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck. Apparently Roman Polanski wasn't very happy when MGM gave a new title to his film) but just last Sunday night I sat down to watch it. It was past midnight and I was tired so eventually I didn't see the film in its entirely, actually just when the two fearless vampire killers (Jack MacGowran and Roman Polanski) were finally seeing the castle of Transylvania I was ready to rest for at least 8 hours. I'll be honest here: last Sunday I wasn't really loving Dance of the Vampires as I was expecting. The 40 or so minutes that I saw were not really that great to think last night, when I was ready to finish seeing the film, "well I'm going to see the film since its very beginning". So last night I fast forward till the part in which MacGowran and Polanski arrive to the castle but there's this part when they (MacGowran's character is the Professor Abronsius and Polanski's character is Alfred, the Professor's assistant) talk for the very first time with the Count of the film (Ferdy Mayne is Count von Krolock), this part that I really loved ("I must have a copy somewhere. I would like you to inscribe it for me"; "we were running after a pteropus") and that made me think again... I decided to stop the film to see it since the beginning and I'm so glad I did that since I ended loving Dance of the Vampires (and pretty much without noticing I was already again at the castle part!). The key is how here MacGowran and Polanski are extremely likable, is just fantastic to look at both and pretty much with the Professor (extremely memorable and fantastic character!) is fantastic fun during the whole film (the ending is more than just perfect, boy oh boy what the hell these fearless vampire killers did!). And maybe the first part was my least favourite (but still the late Sharon Tate shines in those moments when her character talks for the very first time with Polanski's and is great the arrival of the Count) but in the end definitely the film was not a disappointment. Boy, you'll have to see it and love Alfie Bass's character Shagal! 9.5 out of 10

Amidst the vampires

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
9 February 2009

Professor Abronsius and his apprentice Alfred hunt for vampires in Transylvania.They stay at a local inn where Alfred becomes fond of Sarah, the daughter of the tavern keeper.Soon she's being kidnapped by the vampire Count von Krolock while taking a bath.The two follow his snow trail to a castle that is filled with vampires.Their necks are in a big danger in that gloomy place.Is it too late to save Sarah? Dance of the Vampires, also known as The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) is a Roman Polanski film.Polanski himself plays Alfred.He gives a great comical performance.Same with Jack MacGowran who plays the bit senile Professor.The lovely Sharon Tate plays Sarah Shagal.Alfie Bass plays her father.Ferdy Mayne does terrific, and terrifying job as Count von Krolock.Terry Downes as his servant Koukol is laugh out loud funny.Fiona Lewis plays the beautiful Magda, the maid.What a fine horror comedy film this is.I saw it a couple of times during last decade and now I saw it again last Friday three days ago.It has many funny and scary scenes.The skiing scene at the snow-blanketed hills looks awesome.The ball sequence in the end made me laugh.If you're looking for fright and laughter, this is your movie.

This film is dirty!!!

Author: (zoetrope@talk21.com) from United Kingdom
27 September 2005

Roman Polanskis The Fearless Vampire Killers gives me a big fat headache and makes me want to take a shower - but i love it! Let me explain...this film is not an easy watch - the dialogue is often jumbled and confusing - many of its characters shout and talk over each other and often speak in accents so thick, it's difficult to tell if they're speaking English at all. There are scenes which are so frantic - they can make you feel irritated and smothered and annoyed. And the sheer bleakness and dustiness and frostbitten-ness of it all is what makes me jump in a warm bath - to remind myself that life does not have to be so desperately desperate. But - the overall effect of all of the above is quite brilliant! I love it. It would be foolish to think that any of the above was accidental or anything other than exceptional casting, directing and acting doing exactly the job it sets out to. This is a desperate, cold dusty and frantic old movie which drags you along every step of the way with it's two fumblingly brilliant main characters (polaski himself in one of these rolls plays the romantic fall guy brilliantly). But the best thing about this movie is that it is funny - very funny in fact. So go on, wrap up warm, chew on a bit of garlic, run a hot bath for afterwards and watch this brilliant classic.

Great Fun!

Author: Space_Mafune from Newfoundland, Canada
27 October 2002

I was treated last night to this classic Horror comedy by the Canadian MoviePix channel in celebration of the upcoming Halloween. I had never seen it before but soon found I was delighted by this film which has belly-shaking inducing humor and a surprising good Horror plot to boot. Jack MacGrowan and Roman Polanski (who also directed the film) are fantastic as the bumbling want-to-be vampire hunters. Also Ferdy Mayne, Terry Downes and Alfie Bass are a delight in their respective vampire roles. Great fun stuff.

Pure Polanski

Author: insomnia from Australia
5 August 2002

From the Director of "Rosemary's Baby" and "Repulsion", comes "The Fearless

Vampire Killers". This is superior film making. It demonstrates clearly what a great director can do with material that is, well, tried and true - that is, in the Hammer heritage, it is such a wonderfully parody. I saw it on the big screen in 1967. Believe me, if you've only seen it on video or laser disc, you are really missing something. Yet, even on video (the version I saw has been hacked

about something rotten - 16 mins, by all accounts), it still stands up - a testament to the genius of Polanski. If truth be known, I like "horror" films - and there are some good ones out there, but the scene where Arthur realises that the Count is not what he seems, is one of the few scenes in a film where I could actually feel the hair rising on the back of my neck, sending shivers down my spine. When it comes out on DVD (soon, please), I'll add it to my Polanski collection.

Cute...

Author: christinedesler from USA
25 July 2002

I rented this movie last night because I finally found the official website for "Dance of the Vampires" ... the Musical that Michael Crawford will be starring in come November (2002). I already read the summary on that website, but I wanted to know more of the plot, so I went to rent "Fearless" with high hopes. Although I can't say I'm disappointed, I guess I can just say it didn't entirely live up to my expectations.

I knew it was going to be comedy -- and I'm not much for comedy. Yet the ideas these people had for comedy were, for the most part, mild and vague, and to me there wasn't much slapstick. I liked that the most, that there wasn't disgusting slapstick. There were simply real good and funny moments where I said "Figures" or "Typical"... I can only say that I wish I could see a more dramatic version of the story... and hopefully if I go see the musical, it will suit my tastes better.

But on the whole, I truly did like the movie. I thought that the Count was well played (Michael will still do better, I say! *lol*) ... and the character of his son was funny. I haven't seen too many movies that came out in the 60's, but I was surprised that they would have a more homosexual character like that... then again, I'm always surprised when Hollywood makes teeny risks like that.