IMDb > A Covenant with Death (1967) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Covenant with Death More at IMDbPro »

An overlooked gem of a film

Author: Tony Rome from Long Island, New york
5 October 2012

Thanks to Warner Archive for releasing this film on DVD this past September. It would appear that this film was an attempt to make a major film star out of TV actor George Maharis. His performance as the young, inexperienced judge was very well executed. Earl Holliman shines as the convicted suspect. This is film is noteworthy for an early performance by Gene Hackman as a police officer. His performances echos what would soon come later, in his role as Popye Doyle in "The French Connection," The romance portion of the film may be predictable, but overall the acting is well done, and the photography is great. The best selling novel "A Covenant with Death," by Stephen Becker is given fair treatment in this adaptation. I would defiantly recommend this film ***

One great acting job

Author: ali-37 from New York City
20 November 2001

There is not much memorable about this film except for the performance of Earl Holliman. His panicked trek up the stairs to the gallows is so perfect, I'm surprised he wasn't nominated for an Oscar. Probably no one saw the movie but if they had, they'd be awed.

Very good movie with interesting performances and ideas.

Author: jeffersonskent from United States
31 March 2014

I saw this movie when it came out in 1967 when I was 22 and in the Army. I remember it as being an excellent example of a philosophical question used to good effect in a popular movie. I went on to get a degree in Philosophy, so I must have learned something. The plot concerns the rights of a man legally convicted of murder and sentenced to death. What rights, if any, does someone in such a situation have?

I just ordered an used DVD of the movie and am looking forward to watching it again after almost 50 years. I plan to enjoy it as much as I did the first time I saw it.

Maharis was fine as a young, inexperienced judge coping with a highly unusual situation. I still remember Katy Juardo, Whit Bissel, Earl Holliman, and John Anderson for their distinctive performances. Gene Hackman I don't remember at all, although he is now one of my favorite actors. Times change it seems.