IMDb > This Property Is Condemned (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Best of Natalie

Author: jcmthewolf from United States
23 February 2006

I was not surprised to learn this was Natalie's favorite of all her films. I am a huge Natalie Wood fan and I can watch this film over and over. As much bad press as I've read about it, I still can't understand why so many don't appreciate this masterpiece. Very good story, great romance, great leads with incredible chemistry. Overall, the acting was wonderful and with an ensemble cast. Natalie never looked more beautiful, and that's saying a lot. There are several scenes I have to pause and rewind, it's just difficult believing anyone could be that beautiful! She is simply mesmerizing every second she is on screen in this film. One of her finest performances as well, if not the best of her career. Natalie is pure magic in this film, and regardless of her character's part in her own troubles, Natalie sucks you in and makes it impossible for you not to care about her character. Notable supporting performances from Robert Blake, Charles Bronson, and Kate Reid among others. It's definitely a southern tragedy, as only Tennesee Williams can tell....but so well done that it's worth it....check it out..

Why should it be a condemned movie too?

Author: Maria-Venetia Kyritsi (mvk0016@hotmail.com) from Athens, Greece
14 March 2000

This Property is Condemned was a condemned movie from the day it was made. It didn't win critical acclaim, nobody saw it and still there are only a few people who have even heard of it. And yet it's so beautiful that you really don't need to be persuaded to watch it. From the beginning, and as the story carries us to a condemned love affair between a beautiful and proud young woman who wants the world (but all she gets is all the men around her crawling on her feet) and a man (Robert Redford) that only wants to keep her safe from her pride, we witness the changes that can be brought by just one person, either that is the impact on the small town that Alva (Natalie Wood) lives or on her heart and life. The end is some kind of divine justice that we all want to prevent but no one manages to, but at the same time a lyrical hope in the form of the left behind (and astoundingly good) Mary Badham. A song that Tennessee Williams certainly wouldn't have approved for his book but at the same time what has always stayed in heart from this wonderful film. That and the glass snowstorm.

Unexpected Surprise

Author: grease_lightening from Los Angeles, CA
24 April 2004

I just happened to find this movie on AMC yesterday. I am a very huge Natalie Wood fan myself and I have been dying to check out this movie a long time ago. At first, I thought it was just another romantic movie from the 1960's. But no, this movie is good--a total surprise.

At the beginning, Owen (Robert Redford) is a mysterious stranger who comes to this unknown town for work. He meets this big flirt Alva (Natalie Wood) and she seems to be very fond of him. And later they have an affair but it ends up tragically due to Alva's mother's will.

Redford and Wood have a great chemistry in this movie, which I am quite surprise of. Redford is handsome and calm, yet passion inside. And Wood is absolutely stunning. She was handling her character's transition really well. You can almost feel her agony when her mother "begged" her to stay with a wealthy, lonely old man for "just a tiny bit of time in her life". This is a good movie. A must see. Especially if you're a big fan of Redford and Wood. They are fascinating.

A classic!

Author: diddleysquat from United States
24 January 2004

This is one of those dramas that is never dated. No matter how many times I watch it, it never loses its magic. Having memorized virtually every line in the movie, I continue to enjoy it more with each viewing.

The 1966 masterpiece, which takes place in a fictitious small town in Mississippi during the depression, was only released on DVD in late 2003. It should be a part of everyone's collection.

The characters and the setting are remarkable in their realism. Natalie Wood's vulnerable bimbo may be the best role of her career (and is Alva Star a perfect name, or what?). Kate Reid, as the middle aged mother who runs a shabby rooming house and quasi-brothel, delivers a rock solid performance. The younger daughter, played by child actress Mary Badham (of "To Kill a Mockingbird" fame) masterfully brings to the screen a complex blend of childlike naivete and cynical worldliness. Redford is memorable in his role as a newcomer on the scene, a temporary guest who clearly has no idea of the conflicted and tragic relationship he is destined to find with an enchanted-but-stained Natalie Wood and her wretched kin.

Indeed, the entire supporting cast in this torrid Tennessee Williams story put in star-quality performances. Collectively, they make this story unforgettable.

Little sister "Willie" is fond of calling her seductive older sister "the main attraction" - a description that could also be used to describe this amazing film.

Natalie Wood & Robert Redford. Perfect.

Author: eaglejet98
29 November 2003

This is one of Natalie Wood's best dramatic performances. She had been a major star for more than a decade when she made this film so it is hard to believe she was only 27. Her looks were the best they ever were.

Robert Redford was not a major star yet but his performance was equal to anything he did later.

This story is classic Tennessee Williams. I'm sure he only climbed out of a bottle long enough to write it and then crawled right back inside. It revolves around a railroad executive who travels the company line and trims the personnel fat during the great depression. He hits a small southern Mississippi town where one could cut the humidity and poverty with a knife. He has to decide which men to fire and which to keep. Then his very ordered and structured life gets complicated when he stays at a boarding house run by a dysfunctional family. He meets the oldest daughter, Natalie Wood, who is the local beauty. Great credit goes to casting and whoever scouted and selected the site location.

The supporting characters are superb in their roles as examples of the worst people we've ever run into. Everyone except Redford's character is living in total denial. They're all shallow losers.

Weird flick. Great, but weird. Depressing, but weird.

Good southern drama

Author: Ralpho from United States
4 September 2000

There's a category of southern drama that has a particular feel to it. You can find it in books like "To Kill a Mockingbird" and movies like this one. The plots are different, but the moods seem to come from the same place. This movie gets it just right. It was obvious there would be a sad ending and I didn't mind. I didn't mind knowing it was coming either.

Natalie Wood gets top billing in this movie, and she creates a convincing flirtatious southern belle. Robert Redford is more interesting in his role, however. I'm not sure I've seen him play cynical and laconic in any other role. Redford fans shouldn't miss this one.

One of the best movies of Natalie's career

Author: Whydah1717 from United States
26 January 2005

This is my favorite Natalie Wood movie. I love her in all of her movies, but this is just the BEST. She just comes across as so REAL in this picture.

It doesn't seem a stretch at all for Natalie to play the character of Alva. The character probably closely models Natalie's life in regard to her search for love and acceptance.

In the movie, Alva has ongoing issues with her mother, as Natalie did in real life.

If you like Natalie at all, you have got to see this movie. I feel it will become one of your favorites as it has mine.

Sensational movie in which Natalie Wood and Robert Redford realize formidable interpretations

Author: ma-cortes
1 March 2006

The film is a beautiful and enjoyable story and narrates upon a family formed by one mother and two daughters proprietaries a hotel of a small town of the United States . Film with five characters move in different interest , the mother (Kate Reid) is an egoistic person who thinks in economic interest and utilizes her daughter Alba (Natalie Wood) for the hotel business . She no interest on her daughters , neither their sentimental life.

Natalie Wood , principal protagonist , plays Alba and realizes a formidable interpretation , she is attractive and beautiful interpreting an innocent and no malice young . She is enamored of an attractive young named Owen , feeling the first love desires . Owen , Robert Redford , the ultimate character in scene comes to the town to close a company causing the anger of workers and he falls in love for Alba . Redford realizes an excellent acting . Mary Badhan is the small daughter , the role is represented in the film narration on the initiation and the final . Charles Bronson in a secondary role interprets a cold man , an unscrupulous person , he is the mother's lover and pursues to her daughter Alba . The film is based on Tenesse Williams' novel . The interesting writings by a young Francis Ford Coppola . The film was well directed by Sidney Pollack.

The movie is little known and the cinematographic value is elevated and is very agreeable for the young public who'll like the enormous sexual attractive of Natalie Wood . Rating : Very good and entertaining.

Natalie Wood and Redford Sparkle in this Classic Film

Author: Tulsa90 (danalcott@yahoo.com) from United States
30 June 2002

I agree with the recent user comments praising this film. It does really portray the Old South well and puts the viewer right there. If you focus on the characters as the plot develops, it does bring on some intense emotions as you root for this poor girl to get free from her Mother and all the forces pulling at her.

I disagree with the comments regarding a lack of character development in Dobson. There was no need to develop these characters further. Also, the scenes in New Orleans are integral to the whole point of the story and the film itself, I don' understand the negative feedback about the scenes filmed in New Orleans.

Natalie Wood was gorgeous as usual and I think this is one of Robert Redford's best roles. I highly recommend this classic film. I gave it a 9 out of 10.

fine film all around

Author: jhilton-1 from United States
15 August 2005

Watched this movie for the first time last night, loved it! Man alive, Natalie Wood is smoking hot, no doubt about it. I'm straight, but Robert Redford doesn't look half bad himself. Great chemistry, the characters in the town are not well developed but they don't really need to be, and Owen's character isn't too much underdeveloped, b/c the movie really is all about Alva. Good depiction of the Depression-era South, too.

Some people complain about the ending, and I agree that it is abrupt, but I don't think it is entirely insufficient. It stands to reason that Alva comes to no good end before she dies, and since it is vaguely insinuated that her mother is a prostitute herself (the way the men at the boarding house treat her, always slapping her backside), I wondered myself if this is not where she was headed when she ran out of the apartment into the rain, hysterical with shame & guilt. I hope her mother felt good that she was able to keep her daughter from becoming a better person than herself, even if that meant destroying her.

A simple, pleasant old film with good acting and two very attractive leads. Worth watching.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]