IMDb > Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Le spie vengono dal semifreddo

Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs More at IMDbPro »Le spie vengono dal semifreddo (original title)

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Dr. Goldfoot And The Girl Bombs (Mario Bava, 1966) **

Author: MARIO GAUCI (marrod@melita.com) from Naxxar, Malta
30 April 2010

With this film, I unceremoniously brought my Mario Bava retrospective – commemorating the 30th anniversary of his passing – to a rather undignified close due to personal familial difficulties. Incidentally, having watched – and been appalled by – it years ago on late-night Italian TV, I had actually added this title to the Bava mini-marathon at the eleventh hour (in fact, I only acquired it a couple of days before viewing!); with this in mind, I regret not keeping the VHS recording of that broadcast since I now have had to make do with a vertically stretched copy which boasts forced English subtitles to boot! The film is a genuine oddity in that a sequel is made not merely by hands other than the original's but by a different country altogether (though it still featured the same star and would be distributed, post-dubbing, by the company behind the first film anyway), considering that the titular figure is not a brand name a' la Tarzan, Zorro or, for that matter, Fu Manchu – where, for instance, the fourth and fifth entries in the Christopher Lee/Harry Alan Towers series of the 1960s eschewed British directorial involvement for that of notorious Spaniard Jess Franco (to the franchise's ultimate detriment, I might add)! To cut to the chase, I have to admit that I was not as intolerant towards the film as I had been on that preliminary viewing: ironically, I used to lap up vehicles by the comic duo of Ciccio (Ingrassia) & Franco (Franchi) as a kid but, somehow, I could not picture them in the same frame as horror icon Vincent Price or 'submitting' to the direction of a technician and master stylist like Bava (in any case, their work has not withstood the test of time all that well, pretty much in the way of the Abbott & Costello comedies – with the one most readily given to mugging, Franco, even supplying the rather noisy song over the opening credits)!; having perhaps checked out the just-as-campy original (called DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE BIKINI MACHINE [1965], by the way) in the interim may have softened my opinion of the sequel to a certain extent (though it is still a toss-up with the horrendous make-over job that became THE HOUSE OF EXORCISM [1975] in constituting the nadir of the Bava canon). The film sees Goldfoot (flanked by a Chinese acolyte named "Hardjob", in clear emulation of Harold Sakata's character from the James Bond extravaganza GOLDFINGER [1964]) upping the ante by being intent on world domination (with the female robots turning combustible, hence the U.S. title – since the Italian original is a parody of John Le Carre''s "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold", brought to the screen the previous year, and puts the emphasis on the movie's star comedians!) rather just misappropriation of funds as in the first entry. To be honest, one is still embarrassed to associate the picture with either Price (especially when disguising himself in a nun's habit!) or Bava (and it is particularly lamentable that the two only managed to collaborate on material clearly below their standards and talents!) but, taken on its own merits (if such a term can be applied here), there are certainly some mild pleasures to be derived from the ensuing concoction – with the most inspired ideas being Ciccio & Franco picking up artillery items from the F.B.I. arsenal as if they were on a supermarket spree, the fact that the voice artist assigned to dub their burly and flustered Chief (remember that Italian films at this time were generally shot M.O.S.) is the same one who does Oliver Hardy in the Laurel & Hardy vehicles (I wonder how it sounded in the English-dubbed version?), and a rather brief reprise of the classic mirror gag devised by Max Linder (albeit most famously adopted by The Marx Bros.' DUCK SOUP [1933]) involving Price and Ingrassia! In the same vein, the finale partly recreates the conclusion of DR. STRANGELOVE: OR, HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB (1963); for what it is worth, then, soon-to-be erotic diva Laura Antonelli plays the obligatory-but-insignificant damsel-in-distress here (alongside Fabian's straight-man hero, who fares somewhat better).

I love Bava, but this movie is almost unwatchable

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
18 April 2008

Mario Bava is responsible for some of my all-time favorite movies. Black Sunday, Kill Baby…Kill, Danger: Diabolik, Black Sabbath, and Blood and Black Lace are all in my top 100. I guess you could call me a Bava fanboy. As far as I'm concerned, Mario Bava was a genius and one of the greatest directors ever. I even love the movie that Bava considered his worst – Five Dolls for an August Moon. However, if he thought of Five Dolls for an August Moon as his worst then (as I wrote in my comment for that movie) "I guess Bava never had the misfortune of watching his movie Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs". I take it that there are some difference between the Italian version and the American version, but I doubt they'd change my opinion much. Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs is just that – a complete and utter BOMB of a movie. Other than Vincent Price's gleeful performance as Dr. Goldfoot, I can't think of another positive thing to mention. The plot is ridiculous. The acting is abysmal. The comedy, especially on the part of the two Italian buffoons Franco Franchi and Ciccio Ingrassia (maybe it's a cultural thing), isn't funny at all. The music is terrible. The final chase scene is noteworthy for being just so incredibly stupid. And there are none of the Bava directorial trademarks or flourishes that I've come enjoy. And to top it all off, the dubbing is simply atrocious. I normally don't complain too much about dubbing, but in this case the whole movie has a hollow, staged sound to it. In the end, Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs is so bad that it makes Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (the first of the two Goldfoot movies) look like a masterpiece of cinema (which it most definitely isn't). As much as I hate to do it, I've got to give this Mario Bava film a 2/10.

Too Bad to Watch

Author: randylanders from United States
15 April 2010

I'd heard this thing (movie is too generous a term) was watchable for the presence of Vincent Price. Sadly, it's not. The entire thing is so farcical and slapstick that even the most juvenile of viewers would find it distasteful.

Perhaps in the 60's when the farce was made, it would've been enjoyable -- had there been cameos by various American actors -- but there's not a single funny line or instance in its entire running time. Not one! Avoid this one like the plague. Given so many good films from the 60's in such as a state of disrepair or anonymity, it's amazing that this utter drek was dragged out to be shown on an HD satellite channel.

Bava and Price combine to make a double career worst!

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
19 June 2008

Mario Bava is one of my all time favourite directors, and Vincent Price is one of my all time favourite actors; so despite the fact that I didn't like Dr Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine at all, I still felt almost as if catching this needless sequel was a duty I had to fulfil. Before making this film, Bava had already directed a number of classics including Black Sabbath, Black Sunday and The Whip and The Body, while Vincent Price had completed his work on Roger Corman's Poe Anthology along with several other classic films. I can only assume, therefore, that the pair had decided to take a break from making good films as this is a million miles away from the best that the two men can do! Well, either that or they both just wanted to spend some time with scantily clad ladies, and I can't really blame them if that was the case! Anyway, the plot has something to do with dubious 'assassin' Dr Goldfoot building an army of robot bombs that look like pretty girls (will be familiar to Austin Powers fans!), and he uses them to eliminate some of Nato's world leaders...or something.

Mario Bava's best work was in the horror genre and as such a lot of what I like about his directorial style is relative to the genre; but he has proved on many occasions that he's capable of delivering good films in other genres, but you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise based on this film! There is a lot of nonsense happening in the movie and this undoubtedly distracts from the directing; but it's clear that Bava wasn't really trying. What a shame that this is the only film he and the great Vincent Price made together! The film was obviously intended to be funny; but all the humour if of the very goofy variety and I honestly did not laugh even once during the film. At a struggle, I could only really think of two good things to say about this film; one is that Vincent Price is entertaining (although he could read out a recipe book and it would be entertaining) and the other is that some of the girls featured are nice to look at. The first Dr Goldfoot film was terrible, and this one is worse. They couldn't even think of a catchy jingle to go over the title sequence! I wouldn't recommend this movie to even hardcore Bava and Price fans...

Gruelling

Author: Frightening_Uncle_Joe
5 February 2006

Seeing this put me in a bad mood for the rest of the night. That's not a good thing for a comedy to do.

I'd be interested to see the US release of this, which I understand features a lot less of Franco and Ciccio. However, so far I've only managed the Italian cut, which regrettably is unspeakable, incomprehensible nonsense from start to finish.

There is one, and only one, good joke, a British general who speaks terrible Italian with an incredibly thick and somewhat camp English accent, and that's your lot. Even the normally reliable Vincent Price phones it in.

Bava can work cinematic miracles with high-camp sixties silliness - see "Danger: Diabolik" - but this is among the very worst films I have ever seen. Imagine a strange alternate universe where, having suffered a dreadful head injury, a demented Benny Hill sees out his twilight years directing feature-length episodes of "Chucklevision" and you'd be about there.

Masochist's Delight Or, The Worst Comedy Ever Made In Italy

Author: Thomas Merritt Scofield (carolsco@concentric.net) from Olathe, Kansas
17 January 2000

Mario Bava made many GREAT movies in his career, but this isn't one of them! This film is horrible -- the script stinks, the photography is bad (very unusual for Bava) and the staging of scenes is inept -- there is nothing good about this film.

I usually defend composer Les Baxter, but his score is also rotten, and the original Italian music is even worse... And finally, can there be a worse comedy duo than Franco & Ciccio? Not in this universe!

What were they thinking?

Author: Alan Olsen (alan@clueserver.org) from Portland, OR
6 April 1999

This is the second Dr. Goldfoot movie. What can I say about this film? It is a second rate sequel. Instead of Frankie Avalon, they got Fabian. The film was shot in Italy with a couple of goofy Italian comics. This one was played more for laughs. (Not that they got them.) Vincent Price is the ONLY reason to see this film. He has alot of gleeful fun as the evil doctor.

The final chase scene takes place in an Italian amusement park and is reminicent of an H.R. Puffinstuff episode. Lots of running around and unneccesary amusement park rides.

Fans of Austin Powers and/or Vincent Price will want to see this. Everyone else might be warned to see better films.

So Bad It's Good

Author: EmperorNortonII from San Francisco, California
1 December 2000

The 1960's produced a lot of silly movies. This is one of the farces that centers around girls in bikinis. It has its moments that are just plain silly, like its segment that resembles the silent movies. But I consider it a nice little piece of cheese.

An awful sequel to an awful movie. Fans of Vincent Price and Mario Bava should avoid.

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia
24 May 2003

The first Dr. Goldfoot movie seemed like a lot of fun in theory - a campy, spy spoof starring horror legend Vincent Price as a mad scientist with an army of beautiful female robots. Unfortunately, it doesn't live up to expectations. It's pretty awful, and REALLY unfunny. This sequel, believe it or not, is even worse. To add insult to injury it was directed by the (usually) brilliant Mario Bava, and released in the same year as his classic shocker 'Kill, Baby...Kill!' What went wrong exactly is hard to say but EVERYTHING about this movie stinks. Price really plays it for laughs but the script is rotten. Instead of Frankie Avalon, this time around it's Fabian. And most of the "comedy" is supplied by a couple of atrocious Italian comedians called Franco and Ciccio. Man, they are just SO bad, you won't believe it! The only thing that stopped me from switching this garbage off was perving at the gorgeous Laura Antonelli, who I had previously seen in Massimo Dallamano's 'Venus In Furs', which I highly recommend. 'Dr Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs' is an all time low for Mario Bava, and the worst movie I've ever seen Vincent Price appear in. It's an awful sequel to an awful movie, and my advice is AVOID.

Watch before criticizing......

Author: Riccardo from Italy
1 May 1999

Only the Italians can fully comprise the comicity one of Franco and Ciccio. I think that this movie, like all the others of the mythical duo, has been 30 years ago a lot ahead like ideas and it doesn't have nothing to envy to other comic movies.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]