IMDb > Scalplock (1966) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Scalplock (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Be careful what you ask for ............

Author: revdrcac from United States
25 May 2006

Dale Robertson was the star of TV's Tales of Wells Fargo and made a number of westerns of varying quality thru the years. With his amiable,determined demeanor he caused many a bad guy to see the error of his ways. In this film from later in his career, Robertson ends up "saddled" with a railroad won in a poker game.

Robertson takes on the greed, corruption and misunderstanding of the community as he gets the fledgling enterprise off the ground. Diana Hyland appears also in an interesting role , the same year that she appeared in Smoky with Fess Parker.

Dale Robertson always reminded me of Clark Gable, with his likable rogue persona. This is an average film though, with a few above-average performances.

Reasonably decent Western that survives by the talent of Dale Robertson

Author: vincentlynch-moonoi from United States
13 March 2015

The Big Question: As Westerns go, how is this one? Well, even though it was a television movie, rather than a big screen flick, it's actually pretty good. In fact, I would say a bit better than the average Western...but that's not to say it's great.

This Western has 3 things going for it. First, Dale Robertson. Robertson was a staple of Westerns on the small screen back in the 1950s and into the 1960s. It was tough not to like him. Just something about him. The look. Friendly cockiness. And, as one of our other reviewers pointed out, something slightly reminiscent of Clark Gable. And, the Dale Robertson we see here is Robertson at his peak.

The second thing this Western has going for it is pretty high production values. More than you might expect from many television movies, particularly television Westerns.

The third thing this teleplay has going for it is a pretty decent supporting cast, including Diana Hyland, Lloyd Bochner, John Anderson, and other television character actors you'll recognize.

But, there are some problems here, too. The beginning of the film is...well...let's say a bit too enthusiastic, making that part of the film unrealistic. The teleplay certainly has a plot, more than ankle deep, but not as deep as your knees or waist. And just how does Dale Robertson get his railroad built -- mostly by bluff -- and I'm not sure that's very realistic. Although, it certainly allows Robertson to show off that natural charm of his.

Back in the 1950s and very early 1960s, America was hooked on Westerns on both the big and small screen. And, that included me. But today, when I try to watch most of those old Westerns, I end up flipping channels. Not many hold my attention. Although not a great teleplay, this one managed to hold my attention enough to watch it all the way through. That's not bad, though I doubt I'll watch it a second time.

Good for getting drunk to, and that's about all.

Author: tsmith417 from United States
17 July 2015

Next time you want to start a drinking game, pop a copy of this stupid movie into the ole DVR and do a shot every time someone says, "build a railroad". You'll have a room full of drunken people within 20 minutes.

Considering the amount of time everyone spends talking about "building a railroad", the kicker is that movie ends just as they finally decide to start to "build the railroad" and we never get to see anyone actually "build a railroad" even tho Dale Robertson has spent the entire film film-flamming and double-talking his way into getting the money to "build the railroad" and convincing everyone that he can "build a railroad" even tho he never "built a railroad" before ... hic! oh, excuse me, I'm a little tipsy ...