IMDb > Munster, Go Home! (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Munster, Go Home! More at IMDbPro »

Munster Go Home Retains the Charm

Author: NavinParker from Grand Rapids, Mi
16 January 2005

After appearing in 57 of 70 television episodes as Marilyn Munster one would think Pat Priest would have been included in The Munster's FIRST feature length film. There was some lame excuse that she was too old, even though the film was released a year after the series' last episode. Debbie Watson gave a good performance in MGH, but I had a difficult time excepting her as part of the Munster clan.

This, however, did not detract from the film that Munster Charm that came to us for two wonderful seasons on The Munsters. I still loved the film in all its brilliant color. I've just purchased the First Season episodes on DVD and am very saddened and surprised to learn Munster Go Home, the DVD version, is currently out out of print. Munster Go Home is as enjoyable as the series and should be offered to all Munster fans of all ages to enjoy.

A Green Monster in Swinging London

Author: directoroffantasies from Tampa Bay, Florida
30 October 2004

This film appeared at the height of the Swinging London movement of the mid-Sixties, when even Batman made a televised visit to Britain. A cross section of British funnymen came aboard to welcome America's improbably sweet family of ghouls to the old country. (And never mind that the name "Munster" is Irish and not English).

Fred Gwynne never looked back after making this final appearance as Frankenstein's monster, so bitter was he at the lingering pain performing the role caused him. It's a shame, because he was never better than in this lightweight role of goofy old Herman.

As he was in "Car 54", Al Lewis is Gwynne's sidekick, gleefully gnawing on the scenery as an over-the-top sendup of Dracula. Frankenstein vs. Dracula sounds like one of those high-concept films only the hard core will watch, but these two made it work.

I saw this film in the theater during its first run and continue to enjoy it on its occasional TV appearances. Often these are during the run-up to Halloween, when "Munster Go Home" acts as an antidote to the depressing run of horror films.

Wonderful movie

Author: crazydude7301970 from United States
11 October 2006

I love this movie even though the original cast wasn't complete.It had its most funniest moments.As always Fred Gwynne,Yvonne DeCarlo,and Al Lewis shines as Herman,Lily,& Grandpa.I wonder why they didn't get Pat Priest back in the role as Marilyn instead of casting Debbie Watson.Still this movie is/was great.The movie has been released on DVD thru Universal and its a double feature disk.Munster Go Home & The Munsters Revenge together on the same DVD! WAY TO GO UNIVERSAL! If you are a die hard fan of the TV series THE MUNSTSERS then get this DVD.I bought it at Wal-mart for around $15.00.The quality of both movies is excellent and great Techicolor on the Munster Go Home movie.Its great to see our favorite characters in color instead of the old black and white format!

A Long, Enjoyable, Full-Color Episode of the TV Show

Author: Xander Seavy (RiffRaffMcKinley) from United States
2 September 2007

Of course it would have been impossible for the Munsters to take a trip to England in a 25-minute TV episode. So it's fun to see it finally happen. I'm not the world's biggest Munster fan, but I've been watching the series ever since I was a little kid and I do love it (a wee bit). This, in particular, is a fun adventure, in which Herman inherits an English title and goes to the Sceptred Isle to claim it, even in spite of the wishes of his greedy cousins, who want the title for themselves. Naturally, this movie has the same kind of rim shot-based gags that highlight the show ("I thought he was made in Germany"), but it also has a great deal of fun and some gags are really quite funny, not to mention the drastic culture shock that takes place when the Munsters-- who aren't even normal Americans-- take Great Britain by storm. So if you like "The Munsters," you should go ahead and give "Munster, Go Home!" a try. You won't be disappointed.

A Great Follow-Up to the TV series

Author: Scooby-Dude from United States
27 September 2006

Let me start off by saying that I am very biased about The Munsters, having been a huge fan of the show since I was a little kid. That being said, I think that Munster, Go Home! is a very appropriate and enjoyable closing to the television show, which had a run of two seasons before it was canceled by CBS. This film remains true to the spirit of the show, with the same group of people who made the show possible (producers, original cast excepting Pat Priest) as the creative force behind the scenes. As always, Fred Gwynne, Al Lewis, Yvonne De Carlo, and Butch Patrick make this movie extremely enjoyable with their familiar and endearing characters that made the television show such a favorite. The supporting cast for the film is likewise terrific, headed by a scene-stealing Terry-Thomas (of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World) as the deliciously sleazy Freddie Munster. I'm not going to recite plot here, as you can read the summary above, but I will warn potential viewers that while this movie was very fun to watch and it kept in the spirit of the television show, there is no laugh track, so you really need a good feel of the show's humor in order to develop a rhythm, so to speak. Also, a lot of gags are rehashed here-- {SPOILERS} For instance, Grandpa accidentally transforms himself into a wolf on board a ship, and must be quarantined. Lily nags Herman into rescuing him. Herman twists the lock of Grandpa's cage apart and picks him up, scaring the crew members who stumble into the room. Later, they smuggle Grandpa off of the ship by having him pose as a dead, fur stole around Lily's neck. This entire ordeal closely mirrors the episode of the show in which the Munster family goes camping. In this episode, Grandpa turns himself into a wolf and is captured by park authorities. After much nagging from Lily, Herman rescues Grandpa by twisting the lock off his cage and carries him out, scaring the park rangers who stumble upon the scene. The family then smuggles Grandpa out of the park, disguising him once again as Lily's fur stole. Another instance of rehashing television stories happens with the drag race, a crucial plot point of the movie. After Herman wrecks his initial race car, Grandpa uses spare parts and a coffin to build a drag racer he calls "The Dragula." This is handled in the film as if it is an original idea and has never happened before, but in actuality, there was an entire episode in which Herman loses the family car in a drag race, and Grandpa goes through the exact same process of building a drag racer from spare parts and a coffin in order to enter the next race and win back the family car. He calls his creation "The Dragula," and the cars in both situations are exactly identical. The difference is that the movie pretends the television episode never happened. However, if you really like this kind of humor, as I did and still do, and take this rehashing for what it was probably meant to be-- homages to familiar moments from the short-lived but much beloved television show-- then I think you will really enjoy "Munster, Go Home!" And hey, it's much much better than "The Munsters' Revenge"!

America's favorite family of fright in living color!

Author: Little-Mikey from Italy
2 November 2008

I remember seeing the movie when it came out on the silver screen over the Summer of 1966. We finally got to see the Munsters in living color. It was every fan's hope that the success of this movie would save the TV series from cancellation. Sad to say, the series was axed before the movie was released. And in spite of the crowds that paid to see the Munsters on the silver screen, the series remained in its canceled state. The Network execs had made up their minds and that decision was final! Debbie Watson was a cute and perky teenager. But casting her in a role that belonged to Pat Priest, was a big mistake that angered Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis. This choice also left many in the audience either puzzled or downright angry. I would imagine that this role also played a part in Debbie Watson's movie career, going the way it did (she retired from acting in 1972).

With all things considered, Debbie Watson played her role well.

The movie lived up to its claims. It was hilarious. It was everything that the TV series was, except that it was in living color (and there was no canned laughter). If you loved THE MUNSTERS, you'll love this movie!

Munsters on the Fast Track

Author: BaronBl00d (baronbl00d@aol.com) from NC
11 November 2006

You pretty much get what one would expect from this first theatrical film using the Munster characters going to England to claim an ancestral home. All the actors return except for Pat Priest - here replaced by Debbie Watson. Herman Munster and Grandpa ham it up in all sorts of quite ridiculous scenes in a quite ridiculous story. Yet, throughout it all, the film does capture the essence and heart of the original show as well as the humour. Fred Gwynne shows us that he was the heart of the Munsters with his amusing turn as the awkward Herman Munster with strange family in tow - living like a somewhat normal monster in a world he saw as the weird thing filled with people he felt were weird. Al Lewis is equally amusing and the whole cast does a good job aiding the antics. British character actors Terry-Thomas - always a treat to see - and the indefatigable Hermionne Ginglod as his mother trying to off Herman Munster and keep their title and lands both give pleasant comic turns. John Carradine is aboard as a very slow-moving butler. Bernard Fox plays the head of a rival family whose one goal is to win a car race every year. Naturally, Herman must defend the House of Munster. Like the television show, many of the laughs are a bit forced, but there are some genuinely funny scenes - most of them between Gwynne and Lewis. Lewis turns into a wolf a couple times, and the race itself is the centerpiece of the film. The ending is perhaps the most forced, but overall I enjoyed the film - not because it was particularly good but rather because it allows one another chance to see Gwynne with the role he would forever be linked with in life. The film w as directed by Earl Bellamy who had directed at least one of the episodes from the series.

Love this Movie

Author: tjbeatty from Haddonfield, NJ
9 March 2006

As a lifelong fan of the Munsters, I really love this movie. It is great to see Herman, Lilly, Grandpa, and the rest in (nearly) living color.

This flick kind of broadened the world of the Munsters that was squeezed into the shorter sitcom episodes. I would have liked to see more of the Munster's 1313 Mockingbird lane home - especially in color, but in one of the scenes, you can see the house next door.

A new Marilyn steps into the role and does fairly well, and the English relatives are classic 60's sitcom fare.

Special bonuses include seeing a mid-60's Ferrari Spyder, and the magnificent SS United States long before its sad fall into disrepair.

Good movie version of the series

Author: mrlanceb from California
28 January 2006

Only the laugh track is missing from this movie version of the classic TV series. The absence of the canned laughter makes some of the sight gags seem like they go on a little too long, but other than that, I give the writer and director credit for doing the series justice. It's too bad that writers and directors of more recent times can't learn a few things from their predecessors about making movies out of TV shows.

This movie was filmed around the time the series was still in production, using writers and a director from the original. No doubt, that is a major advantage when trying to capture the original flavor. Some might argue that the movie should have been done in black and white, but the color is not overdone and actually adds a nice touch. With the exception of Marilyn, the original cast is there. Marilyn's role changed hands in the series anyway. Debbie Watson does fine, so it's not a significant distraction.

This is good light fare for the family looking for some classic innocent fun. Fans of the series should like it as well. It is nothing more than it tries to be - a movie version of the series with a few extras (color, location, and length.) The movie delivers on that, and I give it high marks.

Fans of this movie should also try "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken." It has nothing to do with the Munsters (other than the house facade happens to be located next door to the Munster house on the Universal Studios back-lot), but it is more classic comedy with a spooky twist. It stars Don Knotts during his heyday.

I love this film!!

Author: SkippyDevereaux from Parkersburg, West Virginia
25 December 1999

If you are a fan of "The Munsters" television show, then you should love this movie. Seeing all the characters in color is an added treat, but what is a MAJOR disappointment is the recasting of Marilyn Munster. Why they did not leave Pat Priest in the role instead of an VERY untalented Deborah Watson is hard to understand. Terry Thomas almost steals the film with his hilarious brand of British humour, or humor as Freddie Munster.Sidenote here: It is always a treat for fans like myself to view a film like this, which was shot on the backlot of Universal Studios, and check the sets and try and remember what other films those sets were used in. The Moresby home was once in an episode of "Dragnet" (the one with the Lonely Hearts Club)!!