IMDb > A Man for All Seasons (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Man for All Seasons

A Man for All Seasons More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 17: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

My #1 movie of all time

Author: Howard Stucki (howardstucki@hotmail.com) from Salt Lake City, Utah
9 April 2003

I first saw this movie as a teen-ager when it first came out. Even at that age I loved it and understood the universal truth of commitment to ones values. I was in college the next time I saw it. It was showing at the university cinema for a week and I saw it every day for 6 days straight. I have seen it many times since and always find it moving and inspiring. My daughter was studying world history in high school recently and they had to choose a video about European history to watch as a homework assignment. I suggested 'A Man for all Seasons' and we watched it together. What a thrill to see the next generation embrace this movie and understand it's appeal.

Perfect 10

Author: gemstone-1 from Ludlow, VT, USA
6 October 2002

I cannot say too many good things about this movie, and can say nothing bad about it. From the wonderful performances by all, particularly Paul Scofield, to the screenplay, to -well, everything, this one is a perfect 10.

Fred Zinemann´s "A man for all seasons" could be considered the best ever made film

Author: José DEYM (deym@velocom.com.ar) from Buenos Aires, Argentina
28 October 2001

It is difficult to choose the best ever made film. One does not know which are the definite parameters for making a choice. The plot, the director´s work, the acting, the emotives scenes?

The outstanding acting of Paul Scofield (the second best ever I saw in my life, the best being Pierre Fresnay in Leo Joannon´s "Le defroqué", also a film with a religious plot), the emotive scenes between Scofield and his daughter played by Susanah York, the remarkable script based on Robert Bolt´s play are the main reasons for my choice.

This film is not the exact transcription of Bolt´s masterpiece. Later Charlton Heston did this and I like his outcome very much, but I prefer the Zinemann´s work.

I think that everything in this film is outstanding. Though not technically so perfect as "Gone with the wind" or "Laurence of Arabia", it is the most emotive and delightful film I ever saw, so I consider it the best.

Magnificent cast combines with most perfect script ever.

Author: Willie Clinton (i_did_nt_inhale) from Briarcliff Manor, NY
18 June 2001

Everything in this movie is awe-inspiring including the tale itself. But, the dialogue in this movie -- every solitary phrase perfection -- is without peer in cinematic history. Robert Bolt's screenplay, in my humble opinion, is wittier, more precise, and more compelling then anything ever penned by William Shakespeare, George Bernard Shaw, Terrence Rattigan, David Mamet, or even Neil Simon. oh, and Paul Scofield's Oscar-winning performance is my candidate for best singular performance of the 20th Century. To put it succinctly, I consider A Man For All Seasons to be the best movie of all time.

One of the best movies ever

Author: krsudars
6 February 2001

This is truly one of the greatest movies ever made. It is superior to the play as Chapuys and the Common Man are removed. Paul Scofield is simply brilliant, and the supporting cast is outstanding (Robert Shaw as Henry VIII and that guy from Rumpole of the Bailey). A moving masterwork with excellent direction and a simple story. Truly moving. Why the heck is it only at 7.9???

A fine dramatic performance

Author: lora64 from Canada
24 January 2001

So much has already been said about this Oscar-winning film that I needn't add more except to say I recently bought the video and still become captivated to watch it from start to finish, so absorbing is the dramatic dialogue. It certainly is food for thought as far as movies go, an excellent script.

Paul Scofield, in the role of Sir Thomas More, walks a thin and delicate line as Chancellor, for while he must remain loyal to his king, Henry VIII, he does not abandon his own principles on what he deems right. King Henry wants an heir to the throne and will not allow anything to stand in his way to divorce his wife and remarry. This results in his breaking ties with the Holy Roman Empire (the Pope) in his pursuit of a divorce. It also involves his loyal subjects who must acknowledge the legality of such a remarriage, otherwise they are considered disloyal and are doomed.

Wendy Hiller, as Alice More, the devoted wife of Sir Thomas, shows us how her husband's decision causes a total domestic upheaval and unfortunate circumstances for all family members and servants as well. I think Susannah York's portrayal as the daughter Margaret is very expressive too as she attempts to reason with her father in his final days. Everyone is greatly challenged indeed to find an inner strength to face the inevitable realities.

I would consider the film "Anne of a Thousand Days" as a twin companion to this movie as they are so identical in many ways, both dealing with the subject of King Henry VIII's remarriage(s), the consequences thereof, and of innocent lives being hopelessly given up for the cause of preserving the monarchy.

This is Drama at its best!

Perfect in every way!

Author: (ianhorn@yahoo.com) from London, England
27 December 2000

I think that this film merited all of it's Oscars and merits 10/10 in any poll!! It's just perfect - acting, direction,cinematography, screenplay etc, etc are superb!! I have lost count of the number of times I've watched it - and no doubt I'll be watching it many more times in the future!!

My favorite film of all time

Author: cabotcove (cabotcove@email.com) from Montclair, NJ
29 May 2000

Paul Scofield's performance is the most magnificent by a leading man in all of film history. Yes, the script by Robert Bolt is non-pareil, but having seem Heston give a credible performance, then reviewing the dimensions given the magnificent words by Scofields bearing, inflection, eyes, etc. He is Thomas More, and will always be Sir Thomas More. The supporting cast is all flawless. Watch for a young John Hurt as the defining character of the frailties of this world. Wendy Hiller, Susannah York, Nigel Davenport, Orson Welles, Robert Shaw and most especially Leo McKern. The entire movie is a clinic in acting with Scofield the eternal Nobel Prize winner.

Excellent blend of directing and acting

Author: Peter M. Kehoe from Arlington, Virginia
25 March 2000

Paul Scofield's finest work. At a private screening for students of the Catholic University of America Drama School, director Fred Zinnemann, a class act in himself, stated that Paul Scofield virtually directed himself through this production.

The story remains timeless ( truly all seasons), a man of courage who does what is morally right despite the consequences. But his is not a blind allegiance to a stated principle; it is a belief arrived at through a biblical searching of conscience and soul. Powerful story. Perhaps it should be played for each of the USA political parties at the beginning of their conventions <grin>.

Even my English teacher liked this one.

Author: mmiller1 from Dallas, Texas
6 December 1999

Remember when movies used to have dialogue? And actors who could speak it? Remember when camera work was the way you were shown the story, not the whole movie? Remember when it didn't matter how pretty an actor or actress was, but how well they could convey the character? Remember when characters had enough depth to be worth conveying?

If so, this is probably the move you remember.

This might be the best overall cast ever. Aside from the brilliant Paul Scofield, there are wonderful performances all around. Susannah York and John Hurt achieve the nearly impossible by standing out in a gifted crowd.

Don't rent this movie, buy it so you can show it to anyone who thinks that great art isn't great entertainment. (Or vice versa.)