IMDb > Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N.

Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. More at IMDbPro »

World Premiere Aboard U.S. Navy Warship!

Author: k7kbn-1 from United States
20 April 2006

The Aircraft Carrier in this movie is USS Kitty Hawk. I was a radioman stationed on the 'Hawk when Disney came aboard in San Diego and filmed some launches and recoveries. When we returned to San Diego the Disney crew left to go make the movie, and Kitty Hawk left for the Western Pacific and Viet Nam. When we returned eight months later, the world premiere of Lt. Robin Crusoe, USN was held right there on the ship. Disney studios came aboard and turned Hangar Bay #1 into quite a nice theater. Having been an usher in theaters in my home town of Las Vegas NV, I was assigned some ushering duty for that premiere (and I got to meet Dick van Dyke and Nancy Kwan!) Not the "greatest" movie of all time, but very entertaining.

One of the most underrated Disney flicks ever! Wholesome family funniness.

Author: andreacubs from United States
18 August 2007

This is an all time classic Disney flick, and TOTALLY underrated. I used to watch this all night long when I was sick. The humor and silliness of the film always made me feel better. Now, as an adult, I see so much more in the film. Of course you have Dick Van Dyke, who is a comic genius, who steals the show with his physical comedy, but underneath it, the film takes on some serious issues. I've used the film to teach about the women's rights movement in the USA, and even to explain the spread of democratic ideals, and the effect it can have on a society. Really! The most important thing is that this is a wholesome, family fun comedy. It makes hardened teenagers laugh, and I always get comments about how good it is. They always say "I thought it was going to be stupid, but it was really ________ (good, funny, cute, fun, fill in your own positive). High praise indeed! I was frequently told that "The guy from Mary Poppins is funny, but Floyd steals the show!" I absolutely recommend this flick. It is one of the all time best!

Dick Van Dyke and Nancy Kwan are Great!

Author: bethn from Bellflower, CA
17 November 2001

Dick Van Dyke at the top of his form, and after watching this, you must say that Nancy Kwan is just plain sexy and adorable. And all the other native girls are cute as well. Vastly underrated Disney film with great comedic timing from Van Dyke and Kwan. Watch it and enjoy!

Funny exotic treasure from Disney

Author: bethn from Southern CA
21 February 2002

Nancy Kwan should have been a comedienne, but proves that she can hold her own with Dick Van Dyke. I'm surprised Disney hasn't put this out on DVD. When it first came out in 1966, it was one of the top 5 movies of the year. And should be: Dick Van Dyke is in top form (even does a Mary Poppins-schtick at the end) and Nancy Kwan is just adorable, funny, and can mesmerize you with just a quick rise of her eyebrow. Watch it and enjoy.

a good flik

Author: sketchpo from michigan
8 August 1999

I really liked this movie. I think it was the first Dick Van Dyke movie I can remember seeing. It was hilarious. I highly recommend it for a rollicking good time!

Hilarious. Disney, Dick Van Dyke, And The Movies, Were Never Funnier

Author: johnstonjames from United States
12 July 2011

this has always been one of my favorite Disney comedies. i've thought this film was really funny since i saw it as kid in the old days at the neighborhood movie theater. i still think 'One Of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing' is Disney's best live action comedy, but if you love the irreverent, zany, slapstick approach Disney the old school Disney films brought to comedy than 'Crusoe U.S.N.' has more than enough to offer.

this is one of those special Disney classics that was successful and well liked back in it's time but now has pretty much been forgotten. even by many Disney fans. that's really a shame because the film has such a strong Disney look, feel and lots of the old school Disney charm, as well as 'Mary Poppins' Dick Van Dyke, that you would think Disney fans would be more curious about the film than they are.

it could be because there's not a lot to the film. it's basically a zany Disneyfied twist on the old 'Robinson Crusoe' story with a contemporary spin put on it by ol' Retlaw Yensid himself. there's also a lot of hardcore silliness involving a space astronaut monkey and women's right's for his girl Wednesday. enough to try the patience of any sensible person with a minimal sense of humour.

one of the very best scenes involves Crusoe bailing from his jet plane and parachuting into the water where he has to survive in a small blow up raft while being attacked by a shark. it's straight out of a Donald Duck and Goofy cartoon. or a naval survival training film yet.

whatever you may think of this Disney Komic's intellectual merits, it is pure Disney. just go ask ol' Retlaw Yensid. and it's full of more than it's share of gut belly haw haws.

If It's Wednesday, This Must Be Heaven

Author: ferbs54 from United States
27 May 2010

As I've said before, I will go just about anywhere, cinematically, for a chance to hear Nancy Kwan's charming Hong Kong accent and to see her fabulous zygomatic bones. Case in point: "Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N.," a silly but entertaining Disney flick from 1966. In this one, the titular Navy fighter pilot, played by the ever-likable Dick van Dyke, is forced down into the drink of the South Pacific and, like his namesake, washes ashore on a deserted island. In the film's first half, Robin builds himself a house, discovers a decades-old Japanese submarine wreck and finds another castaway: the astro chimp Floyd! In the latter half, he finds an island mate of a more toothsome nature, a native girl who he dubs Wednesday (even though her pidgin English is perfectly fine and she's quite capable of revealing her true name), played by our Nancy, natch. And then Crusoe gets embroiled in a battle between Wednesday and dozens of her gal pals, versus her headhunter father and the devil god Kabuna. Anyway, van Dyke gives a broadly comedic performance, Floyd offers up some of the best simian thesping that I've ever seen (just look at his reaction shots during a poker game!), and Akim Tamiroff, in his role of headhunter Tanamashu, is a caricatured embarrassment. And Nancy? She is just adorable, never cuter than when playing charades in one segment; van Dyke's desire to leave his island paradise with Wednesday as his bride really does stretch the viewer's credulity past the breaking point. Six years after her yummy "Suzie Wong" debut, Nancy Kwan, a gorgeous Eurasian, was still one of the sexiest actresses that ANY continent had to offer; heck, she's still a looker today, at the age of 71! Besides some good performances, the picture provides some situations that are so very stoopid they're actually pretty funny (such as when Robin laboriously builds a sextant to determine his bearings, only to have it report that he's somewhere between Elmira, New York and Muncie, Indiana!), as well as some very attractive scenery (it was shot on the Hawaiian island of Kauai). The fifth-highest-grossing picture of 1966, the film was nonetheless critically drubbed but remains fun escapism 45 years later. It is an absolute must for all fans of Nancy Kwan and a perfect film to watch with your favorite 8-year-old....

Really liked it!

Author: Robert L. Folkner from West Lafayette, Indiana
13 December 2002

Okay, I'm looking at this thing through the gauze of nostalgia. I haven't seen it all the way through since that long-ago day in 1966 when I bought a ticket at a local movie theater and watched it.

I remember that I laughed throughout this. Dick Van Dyke has always been a favorite of mine and he was in top-form for this film. Richard Deacon ("The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Leave It to Beaver" among other things) provides narration. He had an excellent voice.

Well, to summarize: A great family film for all ages and a great era

Author: pfcole from USA
27 January 2006

When I was a kid,my family went to Old Orchard beach in Maine. My mothers friend worked at the local movie house. This movie was the one playing while we were there. I must have seen it 10 times! I was about 6 or 7 as at the time as I think this was a second run type of theater. I loved this movie. But its funny, I have not seen this in years. It's on cable from time to time so I'm sure I'll run into it someday. This is one of the many films that Disney produced in the 50's,60's and 70's. There are so many to name,but here's a few: Son of Flubber, The absent minded professor, The Shaggy dog, The computer who wore Tennis shoes,etc... Just a great era for family movies. Many great memories.

a cute spoof of the classic story with a modern update!!

Author: Doc_Who from VACAVILLE, CA, USA
6 January 2000

This movie stars Dick Van Dyke (mary poppins) and Nancy Kwan(flower drum song ) in a cute spoof of the classic story. The story remains the same, it's just a disney movie so expect it to be clean !!as look for women's liberation thoughout the movie!!This movie also features a funny part with a book narrating and the effects upon dick van dyke are funny!!It's short so if you cannot stand the long movies hollywood is making these days , go try this jem!!!