IMDb > Herbie (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
25 May 2015

Herbie (1966)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

This three-minute short is from George Lucas and Paul Golding who made it during their 1966 year at USC Film School. It's a pretty basic short as we get a piano song from Herbie Hancock playing while we see various reflections of moving lights at night. A lot of the images are lights reflecting off of parked automobiles. Obviously there's nothing here that would make you believe that Lucas would go onto become one of the most famous names in cinema history. The short, for the most part, is entertaining as the reflections are quite nice but in the end they really don't add up to much. It should go without saying but the piano solo by Hancock is the highlight of the picture.

Small start for a big name

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
11 January 2016

"Herbie" is a 1966 (50th anniversary this year), black-and-white film that runs for 3 minutes only. It was the second effort for George Lucas as filmmaker and here he co-wrote and co-directed with a certain Paul Golding. Golding's career ended basically 30 years ago, but Lucas is still very famous until today. Actually, he is more famous than ever these days with the very successful new "Star Wars" film. But back to "Herbie": I guess you have to be a real car fanatic to find any redeeming values in these 180 seconds. Hands down, it is not a good film visually or in terms of what we hear. But you can probably forgive Lucas as he was only 20 when he made this one. And it should be an uplifting aspect for young filmmaker to see that even the big names have failures in their careers. Experimental stuff like "Herbie" was done 50 years earlier already, and sometimes even better. I cannot recommend it.