IMDb > The Bubble (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Bubble More at IMDbPro »

Childhood trauma

Author: Otto_Partz_973 from New Jersey
4 January 2004

I have a real soft spot for this awful movie. I had nightmares for weeks after seeing it on its release; I was 6 years old. I remember ripping the 3D glasses off my face in abject terror. I would have run screaming from the theater if I had not been in the company of a large group of friends. Years later, I still had a rather vivid memory of the images that had terrified me and I searched high and low for this movie. When I finally found a VHS copy I was astounded at how cheesy and tame the whole thing was, though when I came to the part that had originally traumatized me, I still found it rather unnerving. I can't recommend it to the average viewer, but genre fans (that bad 60's horror genre) and 3D enthusiasts might want to take a look.

Eerie Flick Deserves to be Released at original 112 min length - SPOILERS

Author: (blairwitch@hotmail.com) from New York
3 June 2003

WARNING SPOILERS

I own a 75 minute version taped off-the-air, bearing the alternate title, THE FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH.

This is like an extended TWILIGHT ZONE episode that never gets boring. It continuously keeps you in suspense.

A small prop plane flying through a rainstorm must land because one of the two passengers is about to have a baby.

When the young couple and the pilot put down in the small American town, they find all the townspeople are in a near-catatonic state. The three explore and find fallen Roman columns. They try to drive out of the town but run into an invisible barrier surrounding it. Is there anything left alive on the outside, or is this the last town on Earth? The pilot is plucked from above, is a giant alien collecting specimens? The couple find a small factory producing alien food for the townspeople. Will the baby survive if the food source is destroyed? Is there a limit to the barrier, and can it be surmounted?

Michael Cole turns in an excellent performance as the young newlywed.

I highly recommend this spooky classic.

the bubble 1066

Author: trishicemagic from United States
9 May 2007

Yes this is a awful movie however I was in it: This was my first movie I play(name not on credits) the little girl walking around and riding on the carnival ride in a complete trance. My uncle was a producer and assisted Arch Obler on this film. I was only 7 years old but what memories. Gilligans Island,Big Valley ,Its about Time were all being filmed and I hung out with all of the actors. Michael Cole and Debra Wally were in the Bubble and were great to me. I will never forget that time. I continued on until into my 20 in the Hollywood scene and then decided to move on. I now own a successful Ice Sculpting and Event Decor company on the West Coast. I was so surprised to see this on the amazon.com I had to laugh. I even went to the opening it was at a theatre in Hollywood i got to walk down the red carpet and could barely write my name when another child asked if i was in the movie and wanted my autograph I only new how to print not write.

great 3-D; the only real asset

Author: Stereo3dguy from Las Vegas
18 April 2003

This was not the first polarized 3-D movie by a long shot, as over 50 3-D movies were released in polarized 3-D in 1953 and 1954. Some of those were later downconverted to the inferior red/blue anaglyph format but they were not seen that way upon their initial release.

However, this was the first film widely distributed in a single strip/one projector 3-D process instead of the dual strip/dual projector system used in the fifties.

The film has been compared to an overlong "Twilight Zone" and that is an apt description. The widescreen 3-D is quite good. It's a bit slow, and the film was cut from the original 112m version to 90 mins for a wide 1976 3-D re-issue under the title FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH. Later 3-D video versions cut it further to 75 mins.

Rhino's DVD restores the original title but is the 90 min version, and has been downconverted from polarized to inferior red/blue anaglyph. Still, the red/blue presentation is better than most; and is worth a purchase for 3-D fans. Just don't expect it to look as good as the original polarized glasses version.

Saw The Original Release

Author: Steve_Gaghagen from Big Beear Lake, CA, United States
11 July 2010

When this movie first came out, I was 16. Obler and crew did a William Castle-like ad blitz for the film and tried to give it a high-class patina. The film originally screened at the Huntington-Hartford theater in Hollywood. The HH was a great legitimate stage theater that was equipped with a screen for this event, and tickets were sold in advance.

I remember a lot about how terrible the film was, but I also remember it was an absolutely hilarious evening. This is the funniest of my recollections of the evening ... and why I disclose a "spoiler" here ... although spoiling this turkey is somehow an oxymoron.

At one point in the film, the two protagonists have been running from all sorts of horrible goings on, through forests, rivers, and caves. At one point the action slows a bit, things get a tad quieter, and the girl, who is stretched to the edge emotionally and started to break down says, "Do you know what today is?" Her male counterpart, who is holding her as they sit in mud in a cave somewhere, says, "No ... what?" She says, "Today is ... (sob sob) ... my ... birthday!" Then she starts to cry.

And from somewhere in the back of the house, near the top of the balcony, a lone voice began singing ...

"Happy birthday to you .... Happy birthday to you ..." ... and then other voices joined in ...

"Happy birthday ... happy birthday ..." ... and still more joined in ... and more ...

"Happy birthday to you ..." ... until the entire audience was singing the Happy Birthday song. The song was sung completely, and repeated at least twice growing louder and louder. The audience was laughing and clapping ... and singing this absurd Happy Birthday to the movie! After the film everyone was talking about how The Bubble was the worst thing seen since Plan 9 From Outer Space ... but everyone agreed that the audience and the impromptu Happy Birthday show was one of the finest moments in movie going memory ... at least in mine.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who was there that night! What a HOOT!

This was NOT first polarized 3D!

Author: jack_north from Savannah GA
5 August 2013

I was a teen in the 60's and a big horror movie fan who saw and read anything I could get my hands on regarding horror films, and especially 3D horror films of the 50's. I distinctly remember reading the press releases in the Detroit newspapers that Arch Oboler, one of the technical pioneers of 3D films in the 50's, was in town to supervise the installation of special silver screens for his new 3D process.

It was not new because it used polarized lenses...those had been used in the majority of the 3D films in the 50's. The new process related to the projection of the film. (I don't recall the articles going into much more detail about that process, but now I know it was apparently the first to combine both images on a single filmstrip.)

I was so excited that Oboler himself was in my hometown to supervise the showing I made sure to go see it. I believe it was at the Adams in downtown Detroit.

The 3D was mind-blowing! The beer tray floating out over the audience has still (this is mid 2013) not been topped for jaw-dropping 3D. I have thought of it many times since, and I think the reason it worked so well, and so much better than explosions or other fast-moving moves out of frame, is that the tray moved slow enough to follow and keep in focus by our eyes. (This is similar to holding one finger in front of your face and slowly moving it toward your nose. Your eyes cross slowly as your finger gets nearer.) I remember little else of the film, but I know that I walked out feeling I got my money's worth, just for the 3D alone.

A movie you can't get into -- so IT comes out to YOU!

Author: Bruce Cook (brucemcook@windstream.net) from Fayetteville, GA
21 December 2003

[Also release as: "Fantastic Invasion of Planet Earth"]

Director Arch Oboler ("The Twonky") pioneered a new 3-D process called "Spacevision" which used polarized glasses to separate the right-and-left images for the audience. The 3-D effect works remarkable well, especially in a scene involving a serving tray which floats out of the screen and (apparently) right up to the viewer's face.

Oboler obviously made "The Bubble" just to show off "Spacevision"; the plot is practically nonexistent, and the film is littered with scenes that poke objects out of the screen at the audience. In Deborah Walley's first scene, she holds her arms out to the audience and exclaims "Darling!" to husband Michael Cole.

The token plot is about a small town which alien invaders have isolated inside a spherical force field (the bubble of the title). A small plane piloted by Johnny Desmond and carrying newlyweds Michael and Deborah is forced to land during a storm, and the trio end up trapped in the town. The town's citizens act like broken robots, repeating routine tasks over and over, oblivious to everything around them. Olan Soule has a small role as one of the automaton Earthlings. The alleged alien invaders are never shown.

Music by Paul Sawtell and Bert Schefter (the team which provided mucic for "It! The Terror from Beyond Space" and many other 1950s classics). Arch Oboler served as producer, screenwriter, and director -- so he has nobody to blame but himself.

Tedious movie but great fun in 3D

Author: billoneil2 from United States
14 May 2015

My beloved grandmother took me to see this movie at the theater. She was well into her 70s at the time and pretty fed up with movies but she (and I) had fun with this one.

The movie is very slow paced and tedious. One early line from the male lead got a big laugh in the theater: When his wife is in labor (in a plane I think) and about to give birth, he desperately asks her, "can't you hold it in?" What I really remember is the 3D. Even Grandma was amazed, excited and laughing like a kid (along with everyone else in the theater) at the way things really came out of the screen at you. At one point, a tray of beer glasses floats off the bar and into the audience, very slowly. It gets closer and closer until it looks like you could touch it if you stood up and reached over. Many people in the theater did just that (myself included).

What fun. Great memories of a very happy afternoon. Thanks, Grandma :-)

Avoid the Rhino DVD.

Author: ERicJ
28 June 2004

Like the last person leaving a comment I too have fond memories of this movie from my childhood. For over 20 years all I could remember about it was a giant dome and the haunting words "Kill the baby, kill the baby" echoing over and over from when I first saw the movie probably on Big Chuck and Lil John's late night show in Cleveland. I even "Stumped the Staff" with this plot description years ago when that was a feature of the young, fledgling IMDb.

Childhood memories aside, this movie is horrible. The plot is just plain stupid, the acting mediocre at best, and the ending a complete disappointment. But you can read all that in pretty much any review of this movie.

I think the version I originally saw so many years ago was the non 3-D version, so I was sort of curious what it would look like in 3-D. The Rhino DVD's red/blue 3-D effects are pathetic; the result is much more distracting than rewarding. After 90 minutes my eyes were very strained. I even tried viewing on three different monitors and adjusting the color but to no avail. The only thing saving this movie from my second ever "1 outta 10" rating is that I've read the original polarized 3-D effects were quite good.

2 outta 10 stars.

Thin Plot, Fair 3D Effects, From a Forgotten Movie

Author: mhlong from United States
11 January 2010

I watched this movie in first run in the Chicago area in 1966-67. I even remember the girl I was dating. And looking around at the audience all wearing the special 3D glasses.

Anway, here's the spoiler. The plot, such as it was, could be compared to a bunch of kids collecting ants, grasshoppers, etc. and putting them into a glass jar, and tossing in what ever they think would make the insects seem at home, grass, twigs, leaves.

So, if some alien kid did the same to humans, what would it toss in? Part of the Lincoln Memorial, bits and pieces of things from around the world. And if a specimen died, what would a kid do? Remove it quickly not knowing if its death would affect the others still in the jar.

And might bugs do if trapped in a jar? Possibly try to do the things by rote they did before. And if a new bug accidentally flew into the jar unawares, it would probably spend some time trying to figure out how to get out before falling into a repetitive life.

Here's the plot in brief. Husband and wife out flying with a pilot get caught in a storm (imagine the storm from War of the Worlds), and are forced to land inside the jar/bubble. Most of the other inhabitants are living their lives as if they're robots, going through the motions of their occupations. Our heroes try to get out, the pilot dies in an attempt.

I believe at the end, the bubble is lifted, but I don't remember if there is any kind of conclusion.

The 3D effects were silly, like firemen carrying a ladder into the audience. Most of them had little to do with furthering the plot. I believe Johnny Desmond (the pilot) got to sing a song. He was a 2nd rate Al Martino about 10 years earlier (if you get the joke).

Not much of a movie, and probably helped stifle 3D for awhile...until (ta da) late 2009.