IMDb > Every Girl's Dream (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Every Girl's Dream More at IMDbPro »

Some "fashion" shots on the MGM lot

Author: SimonJack from United States
12 December 2016

The only reason for giving this short documentary even four stars is that it has some scenes of Doris Day in it, and one with Rod Taylor. They are amusing as Doris models some of the clothes she will wear in "The Glass Bottom Boat." Taylor gets in the act in one scene.

Otherwise, this short film resembles a home movie someone shot on a tour of the MGM lot and studios in Culver City, CA. Of course, it's an MGM promo piece that was co-produced (probably funded) by the National Cotton Council. So, the film follows Nancy Bernard around MGM – she being the 1966 Maid of Cotton. Believe it or not, from 1939 to 1993 there was such an honorary young woman designated in the U.S. She had considerable distinction and coverage – not on the level of the Miss America pageant, but with similar benefits. She became an international ambassador for the American cotton industry.

So, this documentary is a combination tour of the MGM lot and a fashion show. As Miss Bernard moves from one locale to another, her clothes change. She dutifully poses as the narrator describes the garment she wears. Of course, it's cotton. There's not enough of the behind-the scenes of the studios to make it interesting, so this short film comes off as boring. It sputters to life toward the end with a couple of scenes with Doris Day doing the modeling and some clowning around with Rod Taylor.

Weak promotional short for "The Glass Bottom Boat" is a dud...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
8 October 2009

Except for a glimpse of DORIS DAY and ROD TAYLOR during the making of THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT, this MGM short does nothing to raise interest in promotion of a new film. Nor was the feature film anything to rave about.

We follow a girl around the MGM studios after winning a contest. While some dull narration fills us in on the details, mostly talk about the MGM costume department and the various fabrics used, we see costume tests for the stars of the silly comedy.

Since the MGM feature was in Technicolor, it's puzzling to see this short in B&W where the costuming is far less effective and the colors have to be described. This alone defeats the whole purpose of the short.

A trivial short well worth skipping.

Disappointing

Author: mschrock from United States
2 January 2004

Turner Classics and AMC don't show enough "shorts", but at least they show some. There are plenty of great ones, which keep me tuning in toward the last minutes of a 2 hour slot of a feature movie,,, in case they'll be able to fit a short in.

Here was one that made it. If it had been filmed in the 30's or maybe 40's, it'd have some chance to be appreciated, but in 1966, it's time for fashion filming to be fashion filming....and a 'behind the sceens' at MGM to be that. This short is thankfully short.

Even Doris Day and Rod Taylor can't save it (but almost). They should have left the fashion out, and followed Doris.

A short subject a person could "cotton" to--LOL.

Author: SkippyDevereaux from Parkersburg, West Virginia
30 December 2001

One of those cutesy little short subjects. This one has Nancy Bernard, in various costumes and other outfits, that are made of cotton. Nice backlot shots of MGM and there is also rare costume clips of Doris Day and Rod Taylor. The only thing wrong with this film is that they filmed it in black and white. It would have been better to have seen it in color. But, it is still very enjoyable.

Weak Promo from MGM

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
29 August 2009

Every Girl's Dream (1966)

** (out of 4)

MGM co-produced this short with the National Cotton Council (?!?!) and shows us 1966's Maid of Cotton, Nancy Bernard. The young lady wins the contest, which gets her a tour of the MGM studio where she gets to see various sets including work being done by Doris Day and Rod Taylor on THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT. The main goal of this film is to show off the film but there's also plenty of talk about the cotton in various costumes. This 9-minute short also gets two narrators, one male and one female, which I think is a first for me, which is saying something considering how many shorts I do watch. Another strange thing is that this was filmed in B&W and we have the narrators having to tell us what colors the clothes are. I really don't understand why they didn't use color but it's interesting to see the movie clips are also in B&W even though the actual movie is color.