IMDb > The Emperor's New Clothes (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Emperor's New Clothes More at IMDbPro »

Notes from a cast member.

Author: sixbadapes from United States
4 June 2009

Another reviewer asked what the pop group Spanky & Our Gang could have added to the film. I was in the film and can answer that. Their presence was much like Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye's in "Cat Ballou". They bridged the action with song, and served as sort of a chorus for the fairy tale. The year after we filmed this, they made their appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show and their career took off. Someplace this film is sitting in a can on a shelf. Both the producer, Jeff Gillen, and the director, Bob Clark, have passed on, and it was my understanding that it had been sold years before to Hal Roach Studios -- and I hadn't even known they were still in existence.

May remain lost forever

Author: kevin olzak ( from Youngstown, Ohio
9 May 2008

John Carradine shot this low budget independent circa 1966 in Florida, the first feature film for director Bob Clark (later of "A Christmas Story," "Porky's," "Black Christmas," Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things," Deathdream" and "Murder by Decree," among others). The one written piece on the movie can be found in Tom Weaver's book "John Carradine: The Films," which recounts the tale of how the star convinced the director to change the jester's name from Cuddle-Poo to Quat. (what, Quat? come, Quat!) An amusing anecdote for a film that may never see the light of day now that Clark himself has passed on. Among the cast members is the pop group Spanky and Our Gang though I'm not sure what they could have added. Here's hoping that Carradine fans will someday get a chance for viewing.