IMDb > How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Christmas classic

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
9 February 2004

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is the ultimate Christmas tale of greed, bitterness, but the ultimate moral of good and kindness of people. Dr. Suess wrote this fine tale that is read and watched on TV each year during the Christmas season. I think the reason why people love this cartoon so much besides good memories is that fact that we all need a good smile during the holiday season, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas is guaranteed to do that. The story is just so heart warming and also it's very cute and funny. The story has a memorable narration by Boris Karloff, also who sung the nasty grinch song. The story is so much fun to watch how one grinch could take Christmas so bitterly.

Each year down in Whoville, the who's are just getting ready for Christmas, it's always a joy each year to do so. They get presents, make a mighty delicious feast, and sing and dance with each other. But not everyone is so happy, there is a grinch that lives above them and doesn't want to celebrate Christmas one year. Maybe because his heart was just too small that he couldn't have a passion like the who's. But he's gonna steal Christmas along with his puppy, Max. But when he realizes that maybe Christmas might just mean a little bit more, he may have a change of heart.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is a must see film for the Christmas season. It's always a joy to watch each year and brings back happy memories of watching it with my family. The Grinch and Max are two of the most memorable characters since Santa Clause, this is such a touching story of how Christmas could be a little bit more than just gifts and dinner, but what it truly is; being with your family and friends and making sure that you are grateful for everything you have. I love this film and I'm sure you will too, I would say rent it, but you'll see it on TNT this Christmas.

Perfection.

Author: La Gremlin from Boston, MA
7 December 2001

It doesn't get any better than this.

This is, quite possibly, the one perfect Holiday movie. There has never ever been a more wonderful combination of talent than Chuck Jones and Dr. Suess. Only a quick tug on my brow hairs can bring me quicker to tears than the scene where the Grinch learns the truth about Christmas.

Pure perfection.

You're a great one, Dr. Seuss/You're the king of children's books/They always are the best/In the east and in the west, Dr. Seuss!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
24 December 2005

"How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" is a wonderful flick/with some truly great lines, it isn't a trick/It could only have come from the great Dr. Seuss/otherwise, the whole thing would've been loose/Narrated by Karloff and directed by Jones/this Grinch is one who elicits no groans/It's the story of one weird Christmas-hating man/who one Christmas Eve, came up with a plan/He'd steal the presents and everything else/where does this plan go? I cannot tell/You must watch the movie, and then you will know/why this cartoon's still a tradition in the two-zero-Os/And one more thing that I should remind/avoid the live action, which I heard was unkind/They fouled it up, they fouled it down/every part of the story just came unwound/But this classic is always something to love/whether you're down below, or way up above!

A Cartoon only a GRINCH could hate

Author: John Langbein (medrjel) from Dixie, USA
7 April 2002

This is the classic. The Best. When it comes to christmas cartoons, this is one of only 2 cartoons that really captures the Christmas Spirit outside of the religious and social aspects of the holiday. And what is not to love with Boris Karloff narrating, Chuck Jones animating, and a story by the loveable Dr Seuss himself!

The True, Original Classic!

Author: shark-43 from L.A. CA
20 November 2001

There is only one TRUE version of the GRINCH and this is it. Practically perfect, this little cartoon has all the heart andbite and sweetness of the classic book. Between Karloff's wonderful reading and Chuck Jones' spirited animation and direction, this is a Christmas masterpiece. I cant begin to hide my contempt for the mega-budgeted, bloated, all flash disaster that Ron Howard made recently. Hey, fine, go crazy, what worries me is that small kids will ONLY see the Jim Carrey's latex puppet mess andnot the original. PLEASE seek this out for your kids. It is beautiful.

An absolute classic, not to be missed !

Author: Samus Aran from Canada
23 June 2005

Our family has had a tradition for many years each Christmas -- we watch this short animated film some time on Christmas Day. We still enjoy it after all these years. Poor, loyal Max, always trying to please his two-sizes-too-small-hearted master. The silly toys and instruments that the kids play with. And of course little Cindy Lou Who, who was no more than two, who manages to get through to, the Grinch.

The anti-commercialism messages are simply wonderful. All the more-so now in the 2000s with corporate globalisation taking over the bodies and minds of the majority of the human population of Earth.

A simple, funny and beautiful message of compassion and caring. A message of family and community being more important than wealth and possessions.

Dr. Suess + Chuck Jones equals to a classic cartoon.

Author: emasterslake from United States
13 November 2005

This has been a favorite Holiday cartoon since I was a kid.

Not only is it based off of a Dr. Suess book, the whole cartoon is done with Chuck Jones' Style.

Plus Boris Karloff is the voice of the grinch, and the Grinch song is sang by the guy who originally did Tony the Tiger.

The story involves this town of Whoville with citizens known as Whos. They love Christmas a lot. But the Grinch who lived high on a mountain top did not. He hates Christmas and the Whos so much he plans to steal it from the Whos. By dressing up as Santa Claus and rob every thing the Whos own.

Has the stuff you'd find in an average Chuck Jones cartoon. Including the style of the characters, Wille Coyoate like gizmos and Gadgets, and plenty of comedic elements.

The story to it is perfect. It's very memorable and enjoyable to see again and again.

It's highly recommend to Dr. Suess, Chuck Jones, Animation, and Holiday Fans.

It's a great Holiday Toon.

The Best Christmas Story Ever.

Author: movies2u from United States
19 December 2001

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966) is the best Christmas movie ever. Christmas is my favorite holiday, so I really love Christmas movies. The 2000 version of The Grinch can't beat this classic original one. The new Grinch with Jim Carrey is really great, but the original is even better. I give How the Grinch Stole Christmas a 10 out of 10!!! :)

One of the best Christmas cartoons

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
19 November 2000

This is one of the few Christmas shows that deserves its reputation. It never dips into mawkishness and yet makes its point. Chuck Jones gives us a Grinch who has the madcap qualities of Bugs Bunny (and even looks a bit like the waskely wabbit).

The narration and voice of the Grinch are by Boris Karloff, a wonderful choice. The music is clever, and the animation is excellent.

This classic certainly will withstand not only the test of time but also the competition of the live-action version which is unfortunately an example of a big budget and tons of FX burying a sweet, touching, and simple story. Go ahead and see the live-action version -- it has its moments. But definitely see this cartoon version.

Perfect Christmas Classic

Author: Ostrumation from Good Ol' New England
19 September 2006

Of all the Christmas Specials I watch day after day during the 25 days of Christmas, this one is a complete staple. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is one of my favorites ever and yet it rocks. Based on the book by the one and only Ted Geisel (a.k.a Dr. Seuss), this is a great retelling with great Chuck Jones animation.

The music in the film is a staple, every song nails you. It is a great masterpiece told in only over 20 minutes. The narration by Boris Karloff and his excellent way to bring out the character of the Grinch is a very good idea. The Grinch looks a bit different from the original version, but that doesn't keep it from getting a 10 on my scale.

Everything was excellent, from beginning to end. Spectacular animation, excellent music, and great storyline. Encore to the Grinch! 10 out of 10!

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]