IMDb > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly More at IMDbPro »Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (original title)

Page 10 of 76: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

A Western Masterpiece!

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
17 September 2010

¨You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.¨ I wonder what would've been of Clint Eastwood's career if it weren't for the ¨Dollars¨ trilogy. Before working with Italian filmmaker, Sergio Leone, he had a career as a television actor in Rawhide, a western based TV series, but he couldn't get a decent job in Hollywood so he began to look for work abroad. He reached international success thanks to Leone's reinvented spaghetti westerns: A Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965), and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966), known as the ¨Dollars¨ trilogy. He proved producers wrong because they thought that people wouldn't pay to see movies of actors they could see for free on television, but audiences were more than willing to see him in the big screen. His pairing with Leone couldn't have worked out better for him since the director's trademark was combining long wide shots with extreme close-ups. These wide shots couldn't have been enjoyed as much on the small television sets at home. Eastwood's rough features and manly charisma also contributed to Leone's success, and both seemed destined to work with each other. There is no need to see the previous ¨Dollars¨ movies as The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly stands out on its own and is actually a prequel since the movie takes place during the Civil War in the early 1860's before the other plots take place and they are all separate stories that only have Clint Eastwood's character in common. When I see Eastwood's latest films as a director I can't help but think how much he was influenced by the great Sergio Leone. He must have learned a great deal working with the Italian director in this masterpiece. It is just shot beautifully and to perfection by Leone, the cinematography and scenery are amazing and feel real, and the score is perfect. Eastwood may be a different director than Leone was, but he pays close detail to his craft and also knows how to shoot beautifully.

The plot is pretty simple for a movie that is about three hours long, but Leone's use of the camera and extended shots makes the film longer. He also adds several side stories that work really well in the narrative. The film begins by introducing each character (although in the opposite order: The Ugly, The Bad, and The Good). The film begins with an extreme close up on a bounty hunter (Al Mulock) and then when we see the wide shot there are three of them who are quietly entering a bar. Once the men enter we hear three shots and out comes Tuco, also known as The Ugly (Eli Wallach), who escapes. In the next scene we are introduced to The Bad, Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef), who is tracking down a peasant farmer. The scene is truly a classic as no words are spoken for about ten minutes, but the tension can be felt. Angel Eyes is actually looking for information on the location of a treasure of coins lost during the Civil War and he is told a soldier named Bill Carson has it. Finally, we are introduced to Blondie, The Good (Clint Eastwood), who saves Tuco from a group of men who want to turn him in because there is a reward on his head. Blondie saves him only to collect the reward himself, but once Tuco is about to be hanged he shoots the rope and sets him free as part of a scam in which they divide the money. They later turn against each other only to discover the location of the treasure that has been buried and the race begins to see who can get to the treasure first as the three men have different information regarding its whereabouts.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is my all-time favorite Western. Any other film in the genre will always be measured by its standards. The opening scene in which we are introduced to Angel Eyes (The Bad) is just so beautifully shot that no dialogue was needed and we were already hooked (Ennio Morricone's amazing score can also take some credit for that). The first ten minutes have no dialogue whatsoever but it sets up the general tone of the movie: several wide shots where we can see the great landscape and deserts combining them with extreme close ups of the characters facial expressions, the tension and suspense is built with long and slow scenes and suddenly the violence happens so quickly that we are caught off guard. The film doesn't celebrate violence, it portrays it truthfully. The main character is the quiet Blondie (The Good), but without a doubt Tuco (The Ugly) is the one who has the most lines and brings some unbalance and goofiness to an otherwise serious picture. One of the funniest scenes is when he is in the tub and one of the bounty hunter shows up to kill him but before shooting he begins the classic speech villains tend to give and Tuco pulls out his gun and fires at him saying, ¨When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.¨ Tuco plays a key role and his character is kind of the gray in an otherwise black (Angel Eyes) and white (Blondie), good guy and bad guy western movie. He breaks the conventionality in the genre. The final Mexican standoff scene is also truly memorable and one of the best shot sequences. This is a truly unique film that has stood the test of time; it catapulted Eastwood into a movie star, and has influenced him on his way to becoming a great director. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite movies and is a must see film.

"You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting"

Author: ackstasis from Australia
2 March 2010

This week I was fortunate enough to see 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (1966)' (namely, the 2003 extended English-language version) in the cinema, perhaps the only place that Sergio Leone's classic Spaghetti Western can be properly appreciated. This was my second viewing – the first being in 2006, when my interest in cinema was still in its infancy – and, just as Leone's film gained status only in subsequent decades, my admiration has since grown substantially. By the early 1960s, the Western had become a tired genre, and even the best American entries {such as Ford's 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)'} could more closely be described as somber rather than thrilling. Leone's low-budget Italian productions breathed new life into the Western, the director's highly-stylised (and purely cinematic) film-making style tackling the recently-emerged Revisionist Western sub-genre with a cheekily-parodic sense of humour.

Though 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly' clearly identifies each of its three protagonists with a titular adjective, the separating lines are decidedly blurred. Blondie (Clint Eastwood) is the archetypal anti-hero, a laconic, cigar-smoking bounty-hunter who makes every word, and every bullet, count. Tuco (Eli Wallach) is a slimy opportunist, a bottom-dweller whose unabashed enthusiasm – especially opposite the apathetic Eastwood – makes him an oddly-likable character. Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef) is a crafty, intelligent schemer, greed and contempt mixing behind those cold, steely eyes. Leon's film revolves almost exclusively around these three characters, and the American Civil War is utilised purely as a historical backdrop. As was the director's style, the film is a triumph of contrasts: an epic period of American history is used merely as a stage for an intimate battle-of-wills between three determined men with their own selfish aims.

Contrast, too, is evident through Leone's camera lens. Few directors (perhaps David Lean or Sergei Bondarchuk are his only true rivals in this field) have more inspiringly utilised the cinema screen as a canvas. Leone switches between landscapes and portraits, at times cutting unexpectedly from a distant long-shot to an extreme close-up of Eastwood's sweaty brow, his eyes narrowed and alert. I wrote in my review for 'A Fistful of Dollars (1964)' that that Leone's landscape was the human face. Unlike Ford, to whom setting was significant (one reason why he so adored Monument Valley), Leone's Westerns unfold in an anonymous landscape, dry and unremarkable and unforgiving. Colour is instead injected through Ennio Morricone's score, perhaps the most memorable ever composed for a film. The composer's contribution is uniquely cinematic, refusing to linger in the background and instead serving to overwhelm and enhance Leone's imagery.

Sergio Leone's Western Masterpiece

Author: willie_j_rudd from United States
1 March 2010

I avoided seeing this film for many years. As a whole, I do not like westerns, they are typically clichéd and hokey. Finally after reading the raving reviews and a strong urge by my film instructor, I rented it. I was blown away and left in awe of Sergio Leone's spaghetti western classic.

The acting is very intense, especially from Lee Van Cleef's character Angel Eyes. Clint Eastwood does a great job as the righteous Blondie, but Van Cleef's character stands out to me more. The camera work is greatly done, especially in the graveyard scene and the associative shots used during the Mexican standoff scene. Being a huge Quentin Tarantino fan, at the end of the movie, I thought to myself "so that's where he got his inspiration" (meaning his later works such as the Kill Bill series and Inglorious Basterds). The thing that makes the film to me is the soundtrack. The music is used in very good taste, whether it is the classic theme from the beginning or the use of Ecstacy of Gold during the graveyard scene.

If you love westerns, this is a definite must. If you do not like westerns, this is still a must for any movie lover. Overall, it's a 10 out of 10 rating for the greatest western ever made and one of the greatest and most influential films of all time.

One of the best movies ever made - will leave you breathless

Author: FilmSchoolWriter from the World
25 November 2008

Clint Eastwood returns as The Man With No Name in this final installment in Sergio Leone's epic Dollars Trilogy (or Man With No Name Trilogy). He plays Blondie (the Good), a sharp-shooter of debatable honor, iron will, and questionable motives. Leone also brings back Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes (the Bad), a sadistic man who always keeps his promises – as long as you pay him for it. Eli Wallach rounds out the trio as Tuco (the Ugly), a thief worried only about his own hide. The three men are held together by the wish to locate a stash of gold, its location imparted to them by a dying man. Alas, things are not so simple. The man whispers some of the information to Tuco, but only Blondie knows the true location. And so our thieves must overcome backstabbing and betrayal, as well as their mutual enemy of Angel Eyes, to reach the treasure.

Sergio Leone creates a visual masterpiece. Not even Orson Welles can hold the audience in his hands the way Leone can. The cinematography and editing are perfectly in sync, working together to mold the audience as Leone sees fit. The famous Mexican standoff, with its rapid-fire cutting and incredibly close shots, is jaw dropping, forcing you to hold your breath. And of course, the film simply could not work without Ennio Morricone's incredible (I repeat, incredible) score. Even if you don't bother seeing the movie, look up The Ecstasy of Gold on YouTube. It will leave you speechless and blow your mind.

After a disastrous experience with my first foray into Westerns (for the record, "Shane" is a horrific movie), I all but damned the entire genre to the pits of hell. But after repeatedly spying "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" atop film lists, I decided to give it a try. It had me on the edge of my seat, my eyes shining, my entire being entranced. In my opinion, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" is one of the most spectacular movies ever made. Is it historically accurate? No. Is the plot nice and tight? Not really. But those are trivial matters in the face of what it is – an incredible spaghetti western. And as far as I am concerned, it is one of the best movies ever made.

Perfect.

Author: Leonard Smalls: The Lone Biker of the Apocalypse from Arizona
16 February 2008

"The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" is the kind of film that needs to be seen by everyone. I'm going to make each one of my kids watch it when they get to be like 10 years old. It's a film that absolutely captures the essence of what life is all about. There really are only three types of people out there, and the three characters in this film are complete, yet simple, portraits of those three types.

The hairs on my arms stand up every time I watch this film, especially during the final scene. Sergio Leone knows how to build a scene. Ennio Morricone's music is absolutely perfect with this film. It's hard to think of a movie with a better soundtrack actually.

To summarize: brilliant, breathtaking, mesmerizing...and like a fine wine, this one just gets better and better. So far ahead of it's time, it blows your mind. "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" is one of the greatest movies ever made.

10 out of 10, kids.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Author: shhimundercoverdamnit from Seattle, WA
11 February 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Hey, Blond! You know what you are? Just the greatest son-of-a-b-! Sergio Leone was a director of boundless vision and ambition, a man with no little ideas. Everything you see is big, and ambitious. In a film that runs about 180 minutes... One could argue that Leone tells the story more with pictures than in words.

Thus is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. A story of three men who are all after the same fortune of Civil War gold. In fact, the secret of its location is spread out among them (one knows the cemetery but not the grave, and the other knows the name but not the cemetery). The men involved are Clint Eastwood ( The Good), Lee Van Cleef ( the Bad) and Eli Wallach ( the Ugly). Each man knows that they will remain alive until the grave is found.....but just as it always is- it is more than likely that each of them will try to kill the others for the gold.

They are also men who really never need to explain anything, their eyes and actions could simply be deemed more important than their words. ( The obsession in Van Cleef's eyes) Though, Eastwood's character. Blondie. ( The Man With No Name) says very little, Eli Wallach's: Tuco never stops.

In fact, some of the best dialgue from the film is of Wallach's 'speeches' about the differences between people. 'You can be one thing or you can be another.' He compares himself to Blondie, and to his own brother, who became a priest. However...... Blondie has the last word! Though there is no shortage of ideas in the film, there is also a film within a film. Thus, a grand Civil War sequence. One of the best scenes from the film is a scene in which a Union Army Captain ( Aldo Giuffre) explains the war to the best of his ability. The commander who has the most booze to get his troops drunk before the battle is the one who wins. However, probably my favorite scene from the film was the haunting runaway wagon scene. That cemetery scene with Wallach stumbling around is also a highlight.

Sergio Leone The Master Of Film Making

Author: (Pulpthatsfiction) from Minnesota
9 October 2007

Sergio Leone is one of the best directors to ever touch a camera and this film proves that he is a master. The camera work of this film is brilliant. This also Clint Eastwood Best Film and also the other actors best film. I am shock that this film didn't get any Oscars and it has Oscars written all over it. This film should be honored and praise for it's brilliant film making, acting and it's cornerstone of film making. Sergio ranks as top 3 film maker of all time due to this films brilliant close ups and the length of the events that happen. Leone first when he was casting for the main role he wanted to cast Henry Fonda but could not afford him so he got Clint Eastwood and I'm glad that happen. This film also has one of the best villains of all time angle eyes also Tuco does a great job too. I must this film is a true masterpiece due to it's classic feel to and having the best gunfight ever. I highly recommend this film to anyone and if you like this one I highly recommend Sergio Leone Other Films.

Music and footage - piece of art which haunts me to this day

Author: mejiasam from United States
17 February 2007

The Mexican Standoff or the part where the trio stare each other down with the music of Enrico and the spinning is very very cool and sets this movie apart from other Westerns. I still don't know why he Tucco calls him Blondie but that is the beauty - looks like brown to me. Also, when Tucco can't tell the difference between the Blue and Gray, and to his surprise along with Blondie's biting sarcasm, is priceless. Guess Eli can't see very well.... My son who is studying film at Yale believes this to be one of the better films for all other kinds of reasons...It is very much a black comedy and yet set the tone for other movies to feature anti-heroes. I recommend the entire trio along with Antonio Banderas as the El Marachi.

WOW!! This movie blew me away!!!

Author: Ben Dale from Harwich, United Kingdom
29 November 2006

Well, I've never really been into westerns, but I brought the special edition 2 disc edition of the movie on special offer as I'd heard it was good. Good?? Good?? Just got round to watching it today as it is nearly three hours long and was amazed at how fantastic it was. I was hooked from the opening credits (well who can't be with THAT theme tune!!!!) I loved every minute of this film. Awesome acting, brilliant location and breathtaking musical score!! Could easily have gone right back to the start and watched it all over again. I actually watched The Godfather the day before and really wasn't that impressed with it. This movie should be number one for sure. It's really tense, edge of your set viewing. If you haven't seen it, I fully recommend it. Absolutely mind blowing!!!

Not the Best Spaghetti Western

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
9 July 2013

The Good......it is one of those "New", groundbreaking, and completely different Movies that was quite influential, broke Taboos, and in the midst of a Decade of change was an announcement from a Director that said..."take this, you Western Movies", and the Western Movies did and never looked back......The Cinematography expanses and lingering affection for landscapes brought the John Ford aesthetic to a new Generation and to a new level of opulence. There are some other Camera Tricks here that are playfully fresh (for 1966) and it was without doubt, Psychedelia before it was fashionable......The Soundtrack that is now an indelible part of Pop Culture and reminds us Today of how different it really was.

The Bad......Endless Closeups of squinting eyes. A tendency to elaborate on already elongated Scenes to add to the already established Suspense......The Character Tuco becomes relentlessly obnoxious, overbearing, irritating, and unlikeable immediately and this keeps up for almost 3 Hours. It is an overacted Performance that makes the Movie less engaging......The length seems padded and indulgent.

The Ugly......All the Characters, their Personalities and the Makeup. This is truly a Panorama of Ugliness throughout and given its length, a bit too much to bare......There is for your viewing pleasure...flies, filthy Faces (almost always in close up) chewing little cigars and sporting blood, pus, scabs, and other assorted flavors like food being shoveled into salivating mouths with Technicolor glee......Ugly could be a word that would describe this Movie. Another would be overrated.

In conclusion......The best Spaghetti Western is from the same Director...Once Upon a Time in the West (1968).