IMDb > The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly More at IMDbPro »Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. (original title)

Page 10 of 73: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Sergio Leone's Western Masterpiece

Author: willie_j_rudd from United States
1 March 2010

I avoided seeing this film for many years. As a whole, I do not like westerns, they are typically clichéd and hokey. Finally after reading the raving reviews and a strong urge by my film instructor, I rented it. I was blown away and left in awe of Sergio Leone's spaghetti western classic.

The acting is very intense, especially from Lee Van Cleef's character Angel Eyes. Clint Eastwood does a great job as the righteous Blondie, but Van Cleef's character stands out to me more. The camera work is greatly done, especially in the graveyard scene and the associative shots used during the Mexican standoff scene. Being a huge Quentin Tarantino fan, at the end of the movie, I thought to myself "so that's where he got his inspiration" (meaning his later works such as the Kill Bill series and Inglorious Basterds). The thing that makes the film to me is the soundtrack. The music is used in very good taste, whether it is the classic theme from the beginning or the use of Ecstacy of Gold during the graveyard scene.

If you love westerns, this is a definite must. If you do not like westerns, this is still a must for any movie lover. Overall, it's a 10 out of 10 rating for the greatest western ever made and one of the greatest and most influential films of all time.

Perfect.

Author: Leonard Smalls: The Lone Biker of the Apocalypse from Arizona
16 February 2008

"The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" is the kind of film that needs to be seen by everyone. I'm going to make each one of my kids watch it when they get to be like 10 years old. It's a film that absolutely captures the essence of what life is all about. There really are only three types of people out there, and the three characters in this film are complete, yet simple, portraits of those three types.

The hairs on my arms stand up every time I watch this film, especially during the final scene. Sergio Leone knows how to build a scene. Ennio Morricone's music is absolutely perfect with this film. It's hard to think of a movie with a better soundtrack actually.

To summarize: brilliant, breathtaking, mesmerizing...and like a fine wine, this one just gets better and better. So far ahead of it's time, it blows your mind. "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" is one of the greatest movies ever made.

10 out of 10, kids.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Author: shhimundercoverdamnit from Seattle, WA
11 February 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Hey, Blond! You know what you are? Just the greatest son-of-a-b-! Sergio Leone was a director of boundless vision and ambition, a man with no little ideas. Everything you see is big, and ambitious. In a film that runs about 180 minutes... One could argue that Leone tells the story more with pictures than in words.

Thus is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. A story of three men who are all after the same fortune of Civil War gold. In fact, the secret of its location is spread out among them (one knows the cemetery but not the grave, and the other knows the name but not the cemetery). The men involved are Clint Eastwood ( The Good), Lee Van Cleef ( the Bad) and Eli Wallach ( the Ugly). Each man knows that they will remain alive until the grave is found.....but just as it always is- it is more than likely that each of them will try to kill the others for the gold.

They are also men who really never need to explain anything, their eyes and actions could simply be deemed more important than their words. ( The obsession in Van Cleef's eyes) Though, Eastwood's character. Blondie. ( The Man With No Name) says very little, Eli Wallach's: Tuco never stops.

In fact, some of the best dialgue from the film is of Wallach's 'speeches' about the differences between people. 'You can be one thing or you can be another.' He compares himself to Blondie, and to his own brother, who became a priest. However...... Blondie has the last word! Though there is no shortage of ideas in the film, there is also a film within a film. Thus, a grand Civil War sequence. One of the best scenes from the film is a scene in which a Union Army Captain ( Aldo Giuffre) explains the war to the best of his ability. The commander who has the most booze to get his troops drunk before the battle is the one who wins. However, probably my favorite scene from the film was the haunting runaway wagon scene. That cemetery scene with Wallach stumbling around is also a highlight.

Sergio Leone The Master Of Film Making

Author: (Pulpthatsfiction) from Minnesota
9 October 2007

Sergio Leone is one of the best directors to ever touch a camera and this film proves that he is a master. The camera work of this film is brilliant. This also Clint Eastwood Best Film and also the other actors best film. I am shock that this film didn't get any Oscars and it has Oscars written all over it. This film should be honored and praise for it's brilliant film making, acting and it's cornerstone of film making. Sergio ranks as top 3 film maker of all time due to this films brilliant close ups and the length of the events that happen. Leone first when he was casting for the main role he wanted to cast Henry Fonda but could not afford him so he got Clint Eastwood and I'm glad that happen. This film also has one of the best villains of all time angle eyes also Tuco does a great job too. I must this film is a true masterpiece due to it's classic feel to and having the best gunfight ever. I highly recommend this film to anyone and if you like this one I highly recommend Sergio Leone Other Films.

Music and footage - piece of art which haunts me to this day

Author: mejiasam from United States
17 February 2007

The Mexican Standoff or the part where the trio stare each other down with the music of Enrico and the spinning is very very cool and sets this movie apart from other Westerns. I still don't know why he Tucco calls him Blondie but that is the beauty - looks like brown to me. Also, when Tucco can't tell the difference between the Blue and Gray, and to his surprise along with Blondie's biting sarcasm, is priceless. Guess Eli can't see very well.... My son who is studying film at Yale believes this to be one of the better films for all other kinds of reasons...It is very much a black comedy and yet set the tone for other movies to feature anti-heroes. I recommend the entire trio along with Antonio Banderas as the El Marachi.

WOW!! This movie blew me away!!!

Author: Ben Dale from Harwich, United Kingdom
29 November 2006

Well, I've never really been into westerns, but I brought the special edition 2 disc edition of the movie on special offer as I'd heard it was good. Good?? Good?? Just got round to watching it today as it is nearly three hours long and was amazed at how fantastic it was. I was hooked from the opening credits (well who can't be with THAT theme tune!!!!) I loved every minute of this film. Awesome acting, brilliant location and breathtaking musical score!! Could easily have gone right back to the start and watched it all over again. I actually watched The Godfather the day before and really wasn't that impressed with it. This movie should be number one for sure. It's really tense, edge of your set viewing. If you haven't seen it, I fully recommend it. Absolutely mind blowing!!!

Not the Best Spaghetti Western

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
9 July 2013

The Good......it is one of those "New", groundbreaking, and completely different Movies that was quite influential, broke Taboos, and in the midst of a Decade of change was an announcement from a Director that said..."take this, you Western Movies", and the Western Movies did and never looked back......The Cinematography expanses and lingering affection for landscapes brought the John Ford aesthetic to a new Generation and to a new level of opulence. There are some other Camera Tricks here that are playfully fresh (for 1966) and it was without doubt, Psychedelia before it was fashionable......The Soundtrack that is now an indelible part of Pop Culture and reminds us Today of how different it really was.

The Bad......Endless Closeups of squinting eyes. A tendency to elaborate on already elongated Scenes to add to the already established Suspense......The Character Tuco becomes relentlessly obnoxious, overbearing, irritating, and unlikeable immediately and this keeps up for almost 3 Hours. It is an overacted Performance that makes the Movie less engaging......The length seems padded and indulgent.

The Ugly......All the Characters, their Personalities and the Makeup. This is truly a Panorama of Ugliness throughout and given its length, a bit too much to bare......There is for your viewing pleasure...flies, filthy Faces (almost always in close up) chewing little cigars and sporting blood, pus, scabs, and other assorted flavors like food being shoveled into salivating mouths with Technicolor glee......Ugly could be a word that would describe this Movie. Another would be overrated.

In conclusion......The best Spaghetti Western is from the same Director...Once Upon a Time in the West (1968).

The best movie ever made

Author: ioustinianos5 from Greece
3 October 2006

Sergio Leone is the definition of artist and director. This movie is just the masterpiece of the art of cinema. The pictures, the dialogs, the actors, the location, the music, everything in that movie makes you feel that what you see is art. There is harmony, rhythm and especially there is realism in that film, something that's missing from the typical westerns. When i first saw that movie i felt like a car had run over me. Since then i still feel the same way when i see that film. Despite the large amount of films that i have seen since then this movie still remains the best film i have ever seen. I think Leone was a man with a very certain idea about cinema that personally finds me agreed. Of course that's just my opinion and i just want you to respect it.

Greatest Western of all time

Author: Lucas Ellis from Winter Springs
25 July 2005

Clint Eastwood stars as the man without a name again in this western about three gunslingers who all end up looking for the same treasure of 200,000 in gold.

The movie is the western of all westerns. Clint Eastwood's first major role is in this movie. Sergio Leone does a great job and leaves his legacy with this movie. The close ups are amazing. Facial expressions are very key to this movie which has very little dialogue at times. The music is awesome. You know the tune...du du du, wa wa wa wa.Overall, it is the greatest western of all time.

I highly recommend this western.

Grandiose, I'll give it that

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
9 June 2014

There's a meandering nature about "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" that keeps me from enjoying it as highly as I think I should. It's certainly not as tight as "For a Few Dollars More", and it really tends to drag during the desert torture and the army scenes (which pop up with surprising frequency). Even the final shootout was too much; I just wanted Leone to get on with it. It's "epic" scope just seems to topple in on itself.

That said, there's much to like here, and the built-up acclaim over the years is certainly merited. For one, the framing and composition in this film are amazing. Not sure I've seen such effective use of widescreen in another western. Leone knows how to make the western landscapes eye- catching. Each of the film's stars fits his character well (Wallach, especially, who just seems to relish Tuco's streetrat sense of guile). And it's just one double-cross after another, right up until the very end. It's fun from that standpoint. Just overinflated.